303 replies to this topic

#31 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm afraid I have no preconceived view of this Annie Lennox person to influence my view of this short film. Perhaps that's my loss.

I think it's relevant. For those members who have no idea on Annie Lennox's political outlook on the world, it might be enlightening to do some research on her long history of political activism.

What you said about not wanting Bond to be tainted with politics is also a desire of this website.

I know and initially I've tried to be politically neutral. However as some members can't see any politics at all in the promo I've ended up going down a road I didn't want to. Apologies for that.

#32 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Oh I thought this was his outfit for the DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER 40th Anniversary festivities... ;-)

#33 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

Terrible. Absolutely terrible, and embarrassing for Bond and all involved. Just fuel for all the Craig haters really. First it was the blond Bond, then the Bond who couldnt drive a stick, then the Bond who doesnt get the girls, now it will be the Bond who dresses in drag. Mark my words, that video is going to be haunting us for years to come...

Also the subject matter seems a little hypocritical from this particular movie series.

Edited by jamie00007, 07 March 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#34 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Oh I thought this was his outfit for the DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER 40th Anniversary festivities... ;-)

LOL!

I don't know if my slant is different living in the U.S., but I find it startling that there's such controversy over a message suggesting that all people should be treated as meriting equal rights and opportunities. To me, this isn't a political message, it's a human message. Also, the fact that someone supporting a particular position may have extreme views doesn't, IMO, automatically make the position itself extreme. Which is to say, I don't particularly care what Annie Lennox thinks relative to this promo.

#35 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

I gotta applaud Daniel Craig and Judi Dench for participating in this.. it works well for me in putting things in the proper perspective.. Had this been Roger Moore's 007 filming this I'm not so sure that would have been as effective.. :P

What about if this guy had done it? Classic Big Tam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FgMLROTqJ0

#36 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:24 AM

Lovely and imaginative advert. Kudos to Daniel for doing this, and all involved. It's nice to see Bond again.

#37 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

I don't know if my slant is different living in the U.S., but I find it startling that there's such controversy over a message suggesting that all people should be treated as meriting equal rights and opportunities. To me, this isn't a political message, it's a human message. Also, the fact that someone supporting a particular position may have extreme views doesn't, IMO, automatically make the position itself extreme. Which is to say, I don't particularly care what Annie Lennox thinks relative to this promo.

Yep we all support equal rights and opportunities but ask people what constitutes equality and opinions will vary widely. I'm startled that some can't see that and that by its very nature the debate on gender equality is always going to be political.

What Lennox thinks is relevant because it is her campaign. It's part of her long and hard line feminist campaign to push the debate in the direction of affirmative action and quotas. Even in isolation the ad reeks of emotive political content. For example violence against women is lumped in with the gender equality debate when this has nothing to do with equality but is actually about criminality. Statistically you are much more likely to be on the receiving end of an attack or murder in the UK if you're a man, but this has nothing to do with inequality either. I support what the ad had to say about violence against women, but it's a symptom of a violent society which Lennox often tries to reduce to the level of men = bastards, women = victims.

The ad says women feel afraid to walk home alone in the dark. This is shameful but I think you'll find women aren't the only ones. Having been assaulted twice in recent years I am too.

Edited by Bond Bombshell, 08 March 2011 - 01:49 AM.

#38 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:27 AM

I guess this means that Dench's salary for Bond 23 will be the same as Craig's? :D

I guess the real reason for this video is the shock value. They want get people talking about the video as opposed to just listing the facts mentioned because I don't think having Bond dressed up in a dress really signifies womens rights.

I would imagine if to get the same point across for female equality they used a woman dressed up as a man, women's groups would be up in arms saying that women don't need to look or behave like men to get treated equally.

#39 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:56 AM

True equality is not about percentages or numbers, but about potential and OPPORTUNITY.

Today, a woman can be a Fortune 500 CEO, or the President, or a race car driver, or a stay-at-home mom, or a teacher. Just because some women are more inclined to pursue the latter instead of the former does not mean they are "unequal," it simply means that men and women find fulfillment in different ways. That's okay.

The website seems to miss this.

#40 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:23 AM

Effective.

#41 BJMDDS

BJMDDS

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:42 AM

I find Bond dressing in drag quite disturbing. Thank god that craignotbond.com website has lost all its popularity becasue this would just be fuel for them.

After seeing that hideous video demeaning the very franchise that this website shills for, I might have to suggest renaming the website 'DANIELLE'CRAIGISNOTBOND.COM. You are correct Jaguar007 that the video representation is quite disturbing. It is amazing that anyone here would ever think that video has any redeeming qualities for Brocolli's franchise. You do not promote an iconic movie figure by having him portrayed in drag. It demeans the image of the franchise and it only proves how out of touch Barbara Broccoli has become since she developed her high school crush on 'Danielle' in 2005 which led to this video fiasco. In regards to the popularity of websites, this site boasts over 11,500 members, which is puzzling because with that type of volume, one would expect hundreds of posters on line each day, not tens. The math just does not add up to the vast supposed popularity you seem to shill here. Danielcraigisnotbond is by no means unpopular, as you suggest, in fact the 500+members are actual members who do post and with almost a quarter of a million views on our major topics thread, we stack up with any on the internet for viewing traffic. The bottom line is your forum and website attempt to do for Danielle what Msnbc does for Obama;no matter how both screw up and look bad, you always attempt a positive spin, of course in concert with the Broccoli directive. Danielle Cr-egg is yesterday's news and if the past 9 years ,with only 2 Bond films to show for itself, is Eon's statement of their abilities to produce an excellent Bond film , the franchise is in desperate condition. STOP promoting this waste of entertainment for now you are looking quite foolish by defending the indefenseable video that has surfaced. It's time for sanity to rule, and Danielle to be fired, Eon to be bought out, Hugh Jackman or Henry Cavill to be the 7th 007, and normalcy restored to the franchise. You are NOT the only game in town guys and if you continue to praise this disgraceful video Eon approved, you are belittling yourselves and this website.

#42 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:58 AM

Well, he makes a better looking Bond than a Bond girl, although I suppose that wasn't the point(not that there is anything wrong with drag or anything). Good message behind the ad.

#43 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:07 AM

I find Bond dressing in drag quite disturbing. Thank god that craignotbond.com website has lost all its popularity becasue this would just be fuel for them.

After seeing that hideous video demeaning the very franchise that this website shills for, I might have to suggest renaming the website 'DANIELLE'CRAIGISNOTBOND.COM. You are correct Jaguar007 that the video representation is quite disturbing. It is amazing that anyone here would ever think that video has any redeeming qualities for Brocolli's franchise. You do not promote an iconic movie figure by having him portrayed in drag. It demeans the image of the franchise and it only proves how out of touch Barbara Broccoli has become since she developed her high school crush on 'Danielle' in 2005 which led to this video fiasco. In regards to the popularity of websites, this site boasts over 11,500 members, which is puzzling because with that type of volume, one would expect hundreds of posters on line each day, not tens. The math just does not add up to the vast supposed popularity you seem to shill here. Danielcraigisnotbond is by no means unpopular, as you suggest, in fact the 500+members are actual members who do post and with almost a quarter of a million views on our major topics thread, we stack up with any on the internet for viewing traffic. The bottom line is your forum and website attempt to do for Danielle what Msnbc does for Obama;no matter how both screw up and look bad, you always attempt a positive spin, of course in concert with the Broccoli directive. Danielle Cr-egg is yesterday's news and if the past 9 years ,with only 2 Bond films to show for itself, is Eon's statement of their abilities to produce an excellent Bond film , the franchise is in desperate condition. STOP promoting this waste of entertainment for now you are looking quite foolish by defending the indefenseable video that has surfaced. It's time for sanity to rule, and Danielle to be fired, Eon to be bought out, Hugh Jackman or Henry Cavill to be the 7th 007, and normalcy restored to the franchise. You are NOT the only game in town guys and if you continue to praise this disgraceful video Eon approved, you are belittling yourselves and this website.

Dude its just to promoting Equal rights for women and men. They were just trying to help with the cause. it's nothing to start getting mad at everyone about it. I think it was a good move to make this video. It was odd and proactive because of how bond always treats women like items and to see Bond dress up as a women, shows that he isn't treating women like items, but as an equal to himself. If you can actually take in the message it tells and think about it you would agree, But i guess from your rant you didn't. This is a good thing to do for the franchise since its kinda re branding of itself and for a good cause/ awareness about women rights.

#44 BJMDDS

BJMDDS

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:24 AM

Dude, several of your own members agree with me and I guess you disagree with them as well. This is NOT a good thing for this franchise because in this video age Dude, what we see becomes what we equate people with. You cannot promote a spy genre franchise that Cubby Broccoli founded by having a transvestite image of James Bond in your head, don't you get that Dude? This permanently ruined Danielle's career as Bond, fact.

#45 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

Dude, several of your own members agree with me and I guess you disagree with them as well. This is NOT a good thing for this franchise because in this video age Dude, what we see becomes what we equate people with. You cannot promote a spy genre franchise that Cubby Broccoli founded by having a transvestite image of James Bond in your head, don't you get that Dude? This permanently ruined Danielle's career as Bond, fact.

it didn't ruin his career, in fact it helped it. Look at Johnny Depp for example he has dressed him self up in so many different outfits, make up ,and costumes that he might as well have called himself a transvestite. Robert Downy jr. does that stupid Peanute Commercial and his career isn't over. Shia Lebouf did transformers 2 and everbody hated it guess what his career isn't over. Now they arent james bond and didn't ruin his career with that stuff. This day and age everyone has a very open mind and to say there not is a stupid thing to say because it isn't true and if it is truely a mistake you know what it wont ruin him, life will go on and so will he. when ever the rumor came out for bond 22 (not Quantum of Solace yet)at the time that Daniel craig may have to be with another man in the movie no one complained, but if he dresses like a women holy crap the world is about to end. yeah there is a difference between rumor and actul truth. The fact is still there that the idea is present and in hand.

#46 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

It's time for sanity to rule, and Danielle to be fired, Eon to be bought out, Hugh Jackman or Henry Cavill to be the 7th 007, and normalcy restored to the franchise. You are NOT the only game in town guys and if you continue to praise this disgraceful video Eon approved, you are belittling yourselves and this website.

Oh please, I still think Craig is the best Bond since Connery and I will be the first in line to see Bond #23. Sounds like you are just using this video as an excuse to rant on a BOnd you already disliked because he does not look like Pierce Brosnan. Dressing in drag is not going to change my opinion of Craig as Bond.

#47 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:03 AM

It's time for sanity to rule, and Danielle to be fired, Eon to be bought out, Hugh Jackman or Henry Cavill to be the 7th 007, and normalcy restored to the franchise. You are NOT the only game in town guys and if you continue to praise this disgraceful video Eon approved, you are belittling yourselves and this website.

Oh please, I still think Craig is the best Bond since Connery and I will be the first in line to see Bond #23. Sounds like you are just using this video as an excuse to rant on a BOnd you already disliked because he does not look like Pierce Brosnan. Dressing in drag is not going to change my opinion of Craig as Bond.

Thank you Jaguar007 you spoke every bit of truth! :tup:

#48 BJMDDS

BJMDDS

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

How much is Eon paying you to say these things? The thing is, there are others here who agree with me, so I guess those that approve of this video must be in the minority. Brosnan is not the issue, and neither is Danielle. The issue is Jackman or Cavill now and Eon will receive notice from the new owners about this poor choice of video I would almost bet. If you want to promote women's rights, let Dench and Brocolli get on camera and do the video instead of mocking the historic franchise in this sordid fashion.

#49 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:19 AM

How much is Eon paying you to say these things? The thing is, there are others here who agree with me, so I guess those that approve of this video must be in the minority. Brosnan is not the issue, and neither is Danielle. The issue is Jackman or Cavill now and Eon will receive notice from the new owners about this poor choice of video I would almost bet. If you want to promote women's rights, let Dench and Brocolli get on camera and do the video instead of mocking the historic franchise in this sordid fashion.

Ok you keep saying others? who are these others you speak of? If it just you and your buddies agreeing among another then it doesn't justify crap. Now you say you have nothing against Daniel yet you say as if his career is over. Has there been an announcement yet of him quieting. No there hasn't and guess what no one gives a $#%$% if Jackman or Cavill becomes bond because there not and more and likely not in the future. just face it this is just another excuse to get Daniel out.

#50 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

:rolleyes:

EON is not paying us anything and while I agree with the message, I really don't find any point in having Bond in drag apart from shock value to get people talking about the video (it is working). As I said, seeing Bond in drag is a bit disturbing - and as I also said it does not change my view of Craig as Bond (the best since Connery). If you think this video is going to get Spyglass to oust EON and Craig, keep dreaming. By the time Bond 23 hits the theaters this video will be long forgotten.

#51 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:09 AM

Dude, several of your own members agree with me

Whilst some of us might agree that the video was a bad idea, I doubt ANYONE here agrees with you about anything else, so dont drag us in to back up your infantile anti-Craig rants. I'm shocked you havnt been banned, carrying on the way you do.

Anyway my only (small) beef about this is with Eon for using the Bond image in something like that. I've no problem with Daniel Craig taking part. In fact I find it quite amusing.

Edited by jamie00007, 08 March 2011 - 06:16 AM.

#52 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

What an eccentric person.

#53 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:35 AM

That was a bit black box, like it was conceived by an MFA student at Western Michigan.

#54 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:29 AM

Its VERY well received overall. Look at twitter etc. Even those, who are not happy about it, should admit, it won't do ANY damage to the franchise - au contraire..

#55 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

I don't have a problem seeing Daniel in drag.

Perhaps you should think about the actual message, rather than going off on a nonsensical rant.

#56 Iroquois

Iroquois

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

I think people are forgetting that Craig's not playing Bond here, he's playing on the image of Bond, hence the lack of dialogue. Think about Hugh Jackman's "Got milk" advert where he was Wolverine. It's not to be taken seriously.

If anything, the irony involved in this video has enforced the idea of what Bond actually is. Bond is so unashamedly the way he is that he can get away with things like this. My Facebook feed is full of approval for it.

#57 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Not really any different to Lazenby at the OHMSS premiere with long hair and beard. He realised as well that Bond is a fictional character and both identities are seperate. And if that isn't good enough for you, well it's a drag, isn't it?

#58 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

It is amazing that anyone here would ever think that video has any redeeming qualities for Brocolli's franchise. You do not promote an iconic movie figure by having him portrayed in drag.

Oh, this is a teaser for BOND 23? I thought this is about women´s equality.

It demeans the image of the franchise and it only proves how out of touch Barbara Broccoli has become since she developed her high school crush on 'Danielle' in 2005 which led to this video fiasco. In regards to the popularity of websites, this site boasts over 11,500 members, which is puzzling because with that type of volume, one would expect hundreds of posters on line each day, not tens. The math just does not add up to the vast supposed popularity you seem to shill here.

Well, on some websites people who post actually do have lives and don´t see the need to pour hate as regularly.

Danielcraigisnotbond is by no means unpopular, as you suggest, in fact the 500+members are actual members who do post and with almost a quarter of a million views on our major topics thread, we stack up with any on the internet for viewing traffic.

Wonderful. Will this qualify your website for a special award?

The bottom line is your forum and website attempt to do for Danielle what Msnbc does for Obama;no matter how both screw up and look bad, you always attempt a positive spin, of course in concert with the Broccoli directive. Danielle Cr-egg is yesterday's news and if the past 9 years ,with only 2 Bond films to show for itself, is Eon's statement of their abilities to produce an excellent Bond film , the franchise is in desperate condition.

So, Daniel Craig and the US President do have something in common?

STOP promoting this waste of entertainment for now you are looking quite foolish by defending the indefenseable video that has surfaced. It's time for sanity to rule, and Danielle to be fired, Eon to be bought out, Hugh Jackman or Henry Cavill to be the 7th 007, and normalcy restored to the franchise. You are NOT the only game in town guys and if you continue to praise this disgraceful video Eon approved, you are belittling yourselves and this website.

I would like to look quite foolish then, vote against sanity and normalcy and also continue to belittle myself and this website.

#59 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

[censored] me, I've now seen the light. Thanks Annie and Dan, and of course, EON. I will now immediately start treating my wife as an equal and with the respect she deserves. I am so flattered you have found time to patronise with this info.

Being told this by a misoginistic fictional charcter (yes, he pretty much still is) is sort of contrarily ironic, but I get the angle: I mean, if James Bond's seen the light - put on the dress of feminity to free women from the shackles imposed by man - shouldn't we mad, crazy fans of his, right??? No casual pussy in Bond 23, then.

But Dan in a frock? You like it, you go for it, mate. We're all equal, afterall.

#60 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

From the most watched vid on YT 119.637, its like 1.388, dislike 52

Guess that says it all. Its very well received :D