772 replies to this topic

#121 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

I think, if you sketch out what you want re: the SmartCar chase, and perhaps the centipede scene, etc. I can work on putting it all together. :)

#122 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

I can throw a few bits and pieces together if you want - the visit to the morgue, meeting with Dent at the office and the subsequent meeting with Quarrel etc.

#123 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

That sounds good, terminus.

I'm anxious to get going on "FRWL". I had actually expected to get "DN" done quicker than it has gone, but hopefully we should have it wrapped up soon.

#124 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:46 PM

Feel free to expand, change and stick in some dialogue -

Checking in at the resort, Bond is handed a brown envelope filled with a fake passport, South African rand, and keys for a car that is parked in the car park at the side of the hotel. Bond heads out to the car park, expecting to find a sleek Aston Martin but ends up setting his eyes on a bright yellow Smart Fortwo ("Where's the rest of it?"). As a sportscar with a throbbing engine pulls up beside the Smartcar and a greasy businessman gets out - shoots Bond a look of pity at his automobile. But Bond climbs into the car, sets off through the streets of Capetown, soon arrives at the mortuary where Strangways body is being held by the South African authorities - he claims to be a coworker of the young mans in SA to make arragnements for the repatriation of the corpse, but asks for a minute alone with the body. The morgue attendant agrees and Bond is alone with the body.

Bond leans over the corpse, undoes a tie, unbuttons the immaculate crisp white shirt and pulls out a sharktooth on a necklace that had been hanging around Strangways neck, slips it into his pocket. He tells the morgue attendant that Universal Exports will be in contact to make further arrangements, and leaves - slipping into the smartcar outside where he removes the sharktooth necklace from his pocket, flips open the tip of the tooth to reveal the tooth is a pendrive. Inserting it into the cigarette lighter port on the cars dashboard, Bond enters a conference with Tanner in London - the chief of staff accesses the information on the drive, explains that as part of his abalone poaching operation, Strangways believed he had stumbled onto something much greater - something connected to Dent Fishing Industries LLC and a Doctor --

The file is corrupted, no more information is revealed.

Tanner asks Bond what his next move is going to be - as he fingers the sharkstooth, he responds: "I'm going to make a dent in this investigation". To do so, he pulls up outside a familiar office building. It is the headquarters of Dent Fishing Industries. Masquerading as Robert Stirling (the name on the fake passport that he got at the resort earlier), he claims to be a marine biologist looking for a meeting with Desmond Dent - the CEO of the fishing company. Dent agrees, but suggests that they talk over food - and asks "Stirling" to join him at The Greenhouse at the Cellars Hohenort. Bond offers to drive them to the restaurant, but when Dent's limousine pulls up - "On second thoughts ..."

Over four courses, including an abalone starter ("These are good," quips Dent. "I know, because my people caught them -"), Bond comes to the conclusion that the South African businessman is out for the money: he's greedy, proud and gregarious. In short, Bond doesn't like him. Dent has his limousine driver drop Bond off at the headquarters building - but the driver stops the car, the doors are flung open and Bond finds himself at the end of two guns, wielded by two of the men that murdered Strangways. It is only now that we realise that the limousine driver is the third man -

Bond manages to get the drop on the gunmen, slips away through the streets - it's an adrenaline fueled suspense driven pursuit. Bond almost gets cornered down an ally by the three men - but he is hauled into a car by two South Africans - a brutish man that Bond recognises from the airport, and a stunning woman who introduces herself as Quarrel. And it's the Smart Twofour that Bond left at the Dent building. Quarrel maneuveres the car down sidestreets, escaping the three pursuers - and eventually pulls into an underground garage in an apartment building.

Quarrel brings Bond into the apartment, has him sit down and tosses him a bottle of water which he gulps down - she picks up a phone, dials a number and tells the person on the other end of the line: "We've got him - I'll put it on". She flips a button on a wall mounted plasma screen, it comes alive to reveal FELIX LEITER sitting his office somewhere in South America - he can see Bond, by virtue of a webcam on top of the plasma screen, and explains that Quarrel is CIA.

"Nice to see that breaking a nose hasn't been the greeting du jour for our cousins in London," quips Felix. Bond regards Quarrel - "No, I'm sure that for some we could make an exception and be 'kissing' cousins ..." Quarrel rolls her eyes.

#125 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

Ha! Funnily enough I was writing my version of events right when you posted. Oh well I'll post mine anyway rather than just throwing it away, maybe we can fit the best of both together somehow :

Bond checks into the hotel. In his room, he looks at his cellphone again and sees the flashing dot has stopped moving. He pulls up the location of the dot - 'Dent Fishing Industries, LLC'.

Downstairs, Bond approaches the concierge. Asked which attractions he would like to visit, Bond answers "The morgue, and a hardware store." Off the concierge's shocked look, we cut to DENT in his office, the Driver with bandaged nose standing in front of him. Driver explains that Bond got away; Dent tells him to get out. When the man has left, Dent picks up the phone and says "He's coming your way, you know what to do".

Outside, the driver is accosted by the three gunmen and bundled into a boat. "Where are you taking me?", he asks. "You know where. The Doctor" is the response. One terrified reaction later, we cut to:

The Morgue. Bond is standing over Strangways' corpse. A mortician notes the wounds that were possibly caused by a large sea creature. Bond asks for a minute alone, and the mortician leaves. Bond takes out a pair of pliers and puts them into Strangways' mouth! A nasty CRUNCH is heard as Bond pulls out one of Strangways' teeth! Satisfied, he pockets the tooth and leaves, casually tossing the pliers into a trashcan on his way out.

Back at the hotel, Bond has the tooth on his desk next to his laptop; we see the tooth has some tiny circuitry in it. The text on Bond's screen reads "Wi-fi device found". Bond downloads data from the tooth. Most files are corrupted, but Bond notices an empty folder titled DOCTOR NO. He reads through Strangways' personal notes on Dent, together with night vision photos of Dent and other fishermen hauling in abalone. Bond highlights a notation - "Meet Quarrel at Queen's Club" before retiring to bed.

In the morning, Bond arrives at Dent's warehouse, declaring himself to be David Somerset of Universal Exports, interested in purchasing a large quantity of abalone. Dent explains to Bond that they are only allowed to fish for a certain quantity, anything more would be illegal. Bond leaves politely, though is suspicious of the too-friendly Dent.

After Bond leaves, Dent gets on the phone again. "Yes, it's another bloody Brit! Don't do it here. Just make sure the body doesn't show up this time".

Bond then heads for The Queen's Club, a local bar, followed by the three gunmen. At the bar, he meets the owner, Pussfeller, and asks for a man named Quarrel. Pussfeller laughs and points out a woman - "She might know where to find him". The woman says they should talk in private, and she leads Bond to a back room. They are in the room when Bond is jumped by Pussfeller; the two men have a brutal fight, ending with Bond hurling the man into cases of beer. The woman pulls a gun on Bond, and is about to squeeze the trigger when she freezes. A shadowy figure behind her asks "What is it about you and bars, Bond?"

Felix Leiter has entered the room. Bond and the woman both say "Felix!". Felix laughs and introduces them. "James Bond, meet Quarrel, our CIA liaison in Cape Town". Quarrel apologizes, saying she thought Bond was working for Dent. As Pussfeller recovers, they talk shop. Quarrel reveals she was romantically involved with Strangways, and they were both looking into the abalone smuggling. Strangways told her he was onto something big the day before he died. Bond tells her he recovered some files, and she should come to the hotel to look at them. As the trio leave the bar, Bond notices something odd about his car. He looks under it and sees a bomb attached under his seat. Looking around, he sees three suspicious men loitering. One of them is dialling a cellphone; Bond pushes Felix and Quarrel back as the car EXPLODES right in front of them.

The three gunmen move in to finish them off, but Bond, Felix, and Quarrel all shoot back. After two of the gunmen are killed, the third runs to the road and grabs the first passing car, throwing the driver out. He speeds away in the SmartCar. Bond asks Quarrel "Quick, where's your car?". She shows him - she also drives a SmartCar. Bond rolls his eyes; "Isn't there anything else?". Quarrel - "Well you can wait for the bus. There's one every hour". Bond scowls and clambers into the car, Quarrel sitting next to him.

They tear off into traffic, Felix telling them he'll take care of things at the bar. The gunman weaves in and out of traffic, trying to shake off Bond, to no avail. He ducks down a narrow alleyway that no ordinary car could fit through; Bond follows suit.

The two cars eventually make it to Cape Town's Bayside Shopping Mall. The gunman SMASHES through the entrance, scattering patrons and food stalls in all directions. Bond follows and pandemonium ensues as the two cars plow through the luxury mall.

Bond RAMS his car into the gunman's, sending it smashing into a pricey fashion display. The gunman exits and flees through the mall, Bond giving chase on foot through the crowds. Running up several escalators, the gunman heads through a rooftop department store. Still seeing Bond behind him, he panics and jumps straight through the window! Bond looks out to see the man fall several storeys to his death as the store manager arrives on the scene. "That man just killed himself!" he says. Bond, noticing a particularly loud suit on display next to him, remarks "With prices like this, can't say I'm surprised".

Cut to...

#126 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:33 AM

Here's how the treatment looks so far. I highlighted the bit that needs to be fleshed out. We also need a closing scene.

The film stars Daniel Craig as James Bond 007, Daniel Dae Kim as Dr. No, Isabel Lucas as Honeychile Rider, Genevieve Nnaji as Quarrel, Sharlto Copley as Desmond Dent, Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter, Jesper Christensen as Mr. White, Henry Cavill as Strangways, Rory Kinnear as Bill Tanner and Judi Dench as M.

The gunbarrel sequence opens up to reveal a nighttime view of a pleasant looking house on beachfront property, which may look familiar to Bond aficionados. A title card tells us we are in Oracabessa, Jamaica. Armed guards patrolling the estate grounds reveal that somebody serious lives here. Two figures clad in black silently descend from the sky using parachutes, landing amongst the trees. One of the figures disappears out of sight as the second struggles to unhook his parachute. An armed guard appears behind him, raising his gun as...a silenced gunshot blows a third eye socket into his head.

The first figure in black pulls his balaclava off, revealing him to be James Bond: "Bloody hell, Strangways, forget the parachute, let's just get in there and do the job.” Strangways removes his balaclava also, and we see that he is a younger man much in the Bond mould himself. The two men move through the woods towards the house, silently taking down more guards as they trade banter.

STRANGWAYS: “Nice house. How did Haines get his hands on it?”
BOND: “Don't know. Used to belong to some kind of author, I think.”

They reach the house and enter through a back door. They quickly kick open a door, with guns drawn. A figure is seated in a swivel chair, his back to them.

BOND: “Guy Haines, I have a signed warrant ordering you be returned to Britain for immediate questioning regarding your association with the criminal organization known as QUANTUM.”

Haines doesn't respond. Bond moves in and spins the chair around. Guy Haines slumps forward, dead. Bond notices: "Two bullets in the back of the skull. Interesting."

STRANGWAYS: “What does it mean?”
BOND: “QUANTUM. They got here first.” At that moment, an alarm sounds and the entire house lights up.
BOND: “Well, we certainly walked right into this one.”
STRANGWAYS: “So what's the plan now?”
BOND: “I suppose we could kill everyone and make our escape.”
STRANGWAYS: “You say that like it's a bad thing.”

A firefight ensues, with Bond & Strangways using teamwork to cut down waves of guards. The two agents flee the compound into a jeep as the last remaining guards shoot at them.

STRANGWAYS: “So who are these QUANTUM people, anyway?”
BOND: “It's a long story.”
STRANGWAYS: “Good, we've got a long flight back to England.”

Bond rolls his eyes, as we shoot up to the sky, and beyond, into outer space, where a satellite orbits.

On a monitor in an unseen location, a man watches the satellite feed as Bond and Strangways make their escape. He punches numbers into a cell phone and speaks. “Haines was taken care of. Our old friends didn't get to him, so we can proceed with the operation as planned. I'll see you on the island.” The man hangs up the phone and leans forward, his face now visible in the glow of the monitor. It is Mr. White.

TITLES: Featuring theme tune sung by Brandon Flowers

Cape Town, South Africa – "Six months later", a title card tell us. We see Strangways infiltrating a building at night, a sign on the front reading "Dent Fishing Industries LLC". The security seems unusually hi-tech for what looks like a low-key fishing company; Strangways dodges security cameras, laser tripwires, and floor sensors as he makes his way though the top level office buildings. He picks the lock to an office marked "Desmond Dent". Inside, he switches on the computer and quickly accesses files. He enters a command to copy files to a wireless device, but strangely we don't see him holding any devices.

As the copying ensues, Strangways opens additional files. He sees one labeled "DOCTOR NO", and moves the cursor over it when a creaking noise makes him look up. Two African men with guns are outside the doorway. They open fire as Strangways ducks behind the desk. Blasting back at them, Strangways takes the room's only other exit - the window. He slides down an outer fire escape as the gunmen follow him. Weaving around disused boats and other fishing equipment as he dodges bullets, he makes his way to a parked car and slips into the driver's seat. He has his key in the ignition when - WHACK. A third African man in the back seat clubs Strangways with the back of his gun, sending him slumping forwards. The other two men gather outside the car.

“Do we get rid of him here?”
“No. The Doctor wants him.”

London – We are looking at mug shots on a large projection monitor in a darkened room as we hear the voice of Bill Tanner. "Gregor Kakarov, Siberian mining entrepreneur. Dead in an alleged accident in one of his own mines. Moishe Soref, former Mossad turned telecom giant, found drowned in his own bathtub. Guy Haines, found dead, courtesy of 007.”

We see Bond and M watching the briefing. Bond drinks heavily as Tanner continues with the slideshow.

“Yusef Kabira, former MI6 prisoner, currently awaiting trial at Guantanamo. Dominic Greene, found deceased in a desert in Bolivia.” Bond smiles slightly at that one as he refills his glass.

“And finally, Mr. White, no other name known. Escaped from MI6 safe house in Siena, current whereabouts unknown.”

“But presumed to walk with a limp”, notes Bond cheerfully.

M hits a switch and the room brightens. “Thank you, Bill. So, 007, it appears all leads and information on this QUANTUM organization have dried up.”

BOND: “They're cleaning house; tying up the loose ends, but they'll be back. People like this just don't stop what they're doing.”
M: “And neither do we. As we've had no further information on these people since you found Haines dead six months ago, we're moving on. New assignment, it involves that young man who helped you out in Jamaica, Strangways."
BOND: “Wants me to recommend him for a promotion, does he?”
TANNER: “I'm afraid not, Bond. He's turned up dead in South Africa.” Tanner hands Bond a file with Strangways' dossier and photographs as M continues.
M: “He was found on a beach three days ago. Preliminary autopsy indicates he was attacked by some kind of animal, possibly at sea.”
BOND: “But also with the kind of wounds typically inflicted by punching and kicking. What was he doing out there?”
M: “What do you know about abalone, 007?”
BOND: “A kind of sea snail, endangered in many parts of the world. Its shells are valuable, which has given rise to illegal poaching and smuggling in recent years. Oh, and they're quite tasty.”
M: “We had Strangways looking into the poaching in South Africa, as it was affecting British fishing industries in Cape Town.”
BOND: “Is this kind of thing really worth MI6's time?”
M: “If someone is prepared to kill for it, then yes. I want you to carry on where Strangways left off. All the information and contacts he had gathered so far are in the dossier.”
BOND: “Well, I've always fancied a trip to South Africa...”

Cape Town – Bond arrives at Cape Town International Airport and is immediately met by a driver who says he has been sent to take Bond to his hotel. Bond tells him he'll meet him outside, as he calls M. Asking if she sent a car to meet him, M says "No. MI6 doesn't have an unlimited supply of Aston Martins for you to wreck, 007.”

Outside the airport, the driver opens the car door for Bond, who casually grabs the man's head and slams it into the hood of the car. "I'll take the car, but I don't need a driver, thanks.” The driver gets up, clutching his bloody nose. Bond is in the driver's seat, pointing his gun at him. “Go back to whatever rock you crawled out from.” The driver runs, as Bond checks his cell phone again. A dot on a Google Map-esque landscape is moving, as we see a tiny tracking device on the driver's collar where Bond grabbed him. Satisfied, Bond starts the car and leaves, eventually arriving at the 'One and Only' Cape Town resort.

Checking in at the resort, Bond is handed a brown envelope filled with a fake passport, South African rand, and keys for a car that is parked in the car park at the side of the hotel. Bond heads out to the car park, expecting to find a sleek Aston Martin but ends up setting his eyes on a bright yellow Smart Fortwo ("Where's the rest of it?"). As a sports car with a throbbing engine pulls up beside the SmartCar and a greasy businessman gets out - shoots Bond a look of pity at his automobile. But Bond climbs into the car, sets off through the streets of Cape Town and soon arrives at the mortuary where Strangways body is being held by the South African authorities; he claims to be a co-worker of the young mans in SA to make arrangements for the repatriation of the corpse, but asks for a minute alone with the body. The morgue attendant agrees and Bond is alone with the body.

Bond takes out a pair of pliers and puts them into Strangways' mouth! A nasty CRUNCH is heard as Bond pulls out one of Strangways' teeth! Satisfied, he pockets the tooth and leaves, casually tossing the pliers into a trashcan on his way out. He tells the morgue attendant that Universal Exports will be in contact to make further arrangements, and leaves, slipping into the SmartCar outside where he removes and flips open the tip of the tooth to reveal the tooth is a pen drive. Inserting it into the cigarette lighter port on the car’s dashboard, Bond enters a conference with Tanner in London. The Chief of Staff accesses the information on the drive and explains that as part of his abalone poaching operation, Strangways believed he had stumbled onto something much greater - something connected to Dent Fishing Industries LLC and a Doctor. The file is corrupted, unfortunately, and no more information is revealed.

Tanner asks Bond what his next move is going to be. As he fingers the tooth, he responds: “I'm going to make a Dent in this investigation.” To do so, he pulls up outside a familiar office building. It is the headquarters of Dent Fishing Industries. Masquerading as Robert Stirling (the name on the fake passport that he got at the resort earlier), he claims to be a marine biologist looking for a meeting with Desmond Dent, the CEO of the fishing company. Dent agrees, but suggests that they talk over food - and asks "Stirling" to join him at the Greenhouse at the Cellars Hohenort. Bond offers to drive them to the restaurant, but when Dent's limousine pulls up – “On second thought...”

Over four courses, including an abalone starter ("These are good," quips Dent. "I know, because my people caught them”), Bond comes to the conclusion that the South African businessman is out for the money: he's greedy, proud and gregarious. In short, Bond doesn't like him. Dent has his limousine driver drop Bond off at the headquarters building, but the driver stops the car, the doors are flung open and Bond finds himself at the end of two guns, wielded by two of the men that murdered Strangways. It is only now that we realize that the limousine driver is the third man.

Bond manages to get the drop on the gunmen and slips away through the streets; it's an adrenaline-fueled suspense driven pursuit. Bond almost gets cornered down an ally by the three men, but he is hauled into a car by two South Africans, a brutish man that Bond recognizes from the airport and a stunning woman who introduces herself as Quarrel. And it's the Smart TwoFour that Bond left at the Dent building. Bond rolls his eyes; "Isn't there anything else?” Quarrel: “Well you can wait for the bus. There's one every hour.” Quarrel maneuvers the car down side streets, smashing through Cape Town’s Bayside Shopping Mall in the process and escaping the three pursuers and eventually pulling into an underground garage in an apartment building.

Quarrel brings Bond into the apartment, has him sit down and tosses him a bottle of water which he gulps down. She picks up a phone, dials a number and tells the person on the other end of the line: "We've got him - I'll put it on.” She flips a button on a wall mounted plasma screen and it comes alive to reveal Felix Leiter sitting in his office somewhere in South America. He can see Bond by virtue of a webcam on top of the plasma screen and explains that Quarrel is CIA.

“Nice to see that breaking a nose hasn't been the greeting du jour for our cousins in London,” quips Felix. Bond regards Quarrel – “No, I'm sure that for some we could make an exception and be 'kissing' cousins...” Quarrel rolls her eyes.

Quarrel helps Bond discover (this can include the centipede scene, the chase in the scrub [though it might need to be resettled to the veldt] and Dent's death in the hotel room) that Strangways' contact was a black market shell dealer called Honeychile Ryder.

Bond tracks Honey down to a beach, where she appears fully nude - albeit tastefully. Honey is running a more legal abalone operation, and she gets dressed, she explains that abalone have been turning up dead washed up on the shore. Bond takes a sample of the abalone and uses a mobile laboratory in a suitcase to find that it is saturated with traces of radiation. From current charts and weather forecasts, Bond, Quarrel and Honey target Bouvet Island as a possible source of the contamination. Honey is terrified of the island because her father went there but never came back, but Bond persuades her to go anyway.

Bond, Honey, and Quarrel all head for Bouvet Island by taking a helicopter from the deck of a U.S.-owned freighter (courtesy of Felix, who sent it over from South America) They are fired upon as they reach the island, Bond manages to land it safely, but the chopper is basically ruined. They head inland, passing through an unnatural area of plants. Bond suspects something as his vision begins to blur. They see what looks like a dragon coming at them, breathing fire. Quarrel screams and flees, but is killed. Bond and Honey are captured, and as the hallucinogens from the plants wear off, they see it was basically a modified and painted truck.

Bond and Honey are taken to a vast underground lair that looks like an opulent, Asian hotel. As they are shown around, Bond notes the place is powered by a nuclear reactor. Bond recognizes a familiar painting (“The Pigeon with the Peas” by Pablo Picasso) on the wall and they are invited to dinner, where they finally meet Dr. No. A fourth guest joins them: Mr. White. With armed guards watching him, Bond is powerless as White mocks him. "The last time you saw me sat in a chair, things were a little different, weren't they?”

Dr. No and White reveal their plan to Bond. No initially used the island as a remote location to synthesize a nuclear detonation; as a brash, arrogant young scientist, his early experiments went out of control, causing the Vela Incident which resulted in the loss of his arms. He spent years developing cybernetic arms while researching into satellite technology. No has now developed the technology to fool defense satellites into thinking their countries are under nuclear attack, resulting in automatic counterattacks. With the backing of QUANTUM, No will launch simultaneous fake nuclear explosions over London and Pyongyang, North Korea. No's scheme is bizarrely born out of a love for his home country; he wants to see its dictatorship government overthrown, but a massive disaster is needed for that to happen. White personally chose London as the second target simply because Bond and MI6 have been undermining QUANTUM's plans. After their little talk, White gets up from the dinner table to leave the island, bidding Bond farewell.

No then explains that he intends to put Bond through his torture pipes, designed to measure how much pain a man can take. He remarks that Strangways did very well. Bond is thrown into a cell where he files down the tip of the dinner knife into a point and places it inside his belt with the lighter in his hip pocket. Bond sees a wire grill guarding the ventilation shaft in the cell, but when he tries to remove it, he’s shocked. Bond’s hands are badly burned, but he cuts a strip of his shirt and safely removes the wire grate. He straightens the wire from the grate and makes an improvised spear, which he places down his pant leg. Bond works his way through the shaft, up a vertical bit about fifty yards long.

Exhausted, Bond makes it to the top of the vertical shaft and collapses in exhaustion. Above his head, he sees a porthole where he is being watched intently by Dr. No’s researchers. Bond continues on down an adjacent shaft. The metal on this shaft is heated, and is blistering Bond’s skin. He takes off his shirt and uses it for some protection for his hands. When he reaches the end of the shaft, the air becomes cool and he passes out from the pain under the watchful eye of another research porthole. When he awakes, Bond continues down the pitch-black shaft, using the lighter to find his way. He comes to a tangle of poisonous spider webs. Using the flame from the lighter and the spear, Bond kills all of the spiders and then continues down the shaft. The shaft suddenly turns downward, and Bond falls through the shaft and is deposited into the sea below. Bond discovers that he’s fallen into a cage and begins to climb out when he’s attacked by a giant squid. Bond stabs at its eyes with the spear and eventually crawls out, barely alive.

As Dr. No prepares for the fake detonations, Bond disguises himself as a guard and causes a power surge, which threatens to overload the reactor. Stuff starts blowing up. Bond and Dr. No are involved in a knock-down, drag-out fight that neither appears to be winning when Honey appears in the dragon, instructing Bond to get in and then torching Dr. No to avenge her father's death, which Bond tries to stop her from doing, going back to the lessons he learned in “Quantum of Solace”. No is at this point hallucinating that he's staring in the face of a real dragon in the same fashion as the many other people he's had meet their end at the hands of this “dragon.”

#127 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:57 AM

Good work everyone on fleshing this out. :tup:

As for an ending scene, I kind of like the way that the treatment currently ends with the last image being one of Dr. No meeting his demise. But, given that Craig's Bond hasn't gotten the girl at the end of either of his other two, he should probably get a more traditional scene to close this one out. In a vacuum, however, I love the idea of ending the treatment the way it currently ends, with Dr. No meeting his demise at the hands of the "dragon".

#128 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

I guess we're almost there in terms of the overall plot, just a few scenes to work out here and there.

I'm actually wondering if we should keep Quarrel alive after all. If we get to LALD we'll need her back again.

And it occurs to me that we've given Dr.No his cybernetic arms, but we're not actually doing anything with them. I'm going to try and think up some kind of special ability they give him, or something Bond can use against him etc

#129 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

I'm actually wondering if we should keep Quarrel alive after all. If we get to LALD we'll need her back again.

Not necessarily. Given the amount of creative liberty we're taking, we might not even need the Quarrel character, or we could create a whole new character.

#130 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

I think keeping Quarrel alive would be a nice touch - and a twist, given people will expect her to die as that's what has happened to her predecessor. But, as coco1997 has said, it would be easy to rework LALD without the Quarrel character. Additionally, we don't want to pin down the LALD remake to returning to South Africa and Capetown this early on - do we?

Good work on the treatment, coco!

#131 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

Could anyone work up a writeup of the highlighted bit (the centipede scene, Dent's death, etc.)?

#132 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Since when did we decide on Daniel Dae Kim for No? I still think he's too young... :S

Also, I don't like the name "Desmond Dent"; it grates on my ear as being too false. Perhaps he could be Cyril Dent, or some forename other than one that starts with D?

#133 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Since when did we decide on Daniel Dae Kim for No? I still think he's too young... :S

Well there aren't too many 50something 'name' Asian actors unless we go with someone who is mostly unknown to us. Daniel Dae Kim is probably the best option as far as known faces go. Like I posted earlier, it adds to the freakishness if he's relatively young looking while said to be in his mid-50s.

Also, I don't like the name "Desmond Dent"; it grates on my ear as being too false. Perhaps he could be Cyril Dent, or some forename other than one that starts with D?

Ehh...is this really a big issue? I picked Desmond as it appears to be a fairly common South African name, and fits in with other alliterative Bond villains Kamal Khan and Gustav Graves :)

Could anyone work up a writeup of the highlighted bit (the centipede scene, Dent's death, etc.)?

I had in mind that we'd reverse the Dent confrontation from the original - Bond returns to his hotel room to find Dent waiting for him, playing solitaire as he sits next to the door. Dent would attempt to bring Bond to Dr.No, but Bond would knock the gun out of his hand and we'd get one of Craig's signature Brutal Fights.

#134 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

The name also makes me think too much of Desmond Llewelyn, and I don't think it'd do him right to slap his name on a villain.

#135 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

I think keeping Quarrel alive would be a nice touch - and a twist, given people will expect her to die as that's what has happened to her predecessor. But, as coco1997 has said, it would be easy to rework LALD without the Quarrel character. Additionally, we don't want to pin down the LALD remake to returning to South Africa and Capetown this early on - do we?

OK we can kill Quarrel as planned then :) No doubt we'll figure out something for LALD, hopefully better than "Quarrel Junior"!

#136 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

OK we can kill Quarrel as planned then :) No doubt we'll figure out something for LALD, hopefully better than "Quarrel Junior"!

I don't think anything could be worse!

Re: Desmond, just looked up the District 9 wikipedia page, being a SA film, presumably the names of the characters are authentically SA - offering us up the possibilities of Wikus, Koobus, Piet, Nicolaas, Vittorio and Johan. But I don't mind using Desmond.

#137 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Any takers yet for those few scenes we still need to flesh out?

#138 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

I'm stumped - but dino seems to have an idea for how things will flow.

#139 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:55 AM

I'm stumped - but dino seems to have an idea for how things will flow.

Yeah I will figure the rest of it out tomorrow, its just really a matter of connecting the dots from here on.

#140 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

Taking over from where terminus ended.

I actually want to tweak it a bit so Felix is actually in the film with Bond, not just on a video screen. I know QOS ended with him being appointed Station Chief of South America, but it'd be pretty lame if that meant we could only use Felix if we use South American countries as locations (I'm betting EON will work him into Bond 23 with or without South America!)

So :

Quarrel brings Bond into the apartment...sitting there waiting is FELIX LEITER! He introduces Quarrel as his CIA liaison in Cape Town, and explains to Bond he dropped in for the weekend when he heard some crazy Brit agent was busting heads outside the airport.

"Nice to see that breaking a nose hasn't been the greeting du jour for our cousins in London," quips Felix. Bond regards Quarrel - "No, I'm sure that for some we could make an exception and be 'kissing' cousins ..." Quarrel rolls her eyes.

They talk shop - Quarrel explains she was working on exposing Dent's operations with Strangways. Strangways had heard rumors of some strange Doctor being involved in the abalone trade. "Dr.No?" asks Bond, noting he caught that name in Strangways' data files. Felix explains he's heard the name, rumored to be a North Korean scientist, a specıalıst in nuclear physics, who disappeared years ago. Quarrel responds that she and Strangways had come across abalone and other fish washed up on the beach, with radiation poisoning. Bond says he wants to go that beach and check it out. As it's getting dark, they agree to rendezvous there in the morning. Felix is due back at his station in Bolivia but before he goes, he tosses Bond his watch. It has a built-in geiger counter and as an added bonus, can emit a small EMP pulse, good enough to knock out power in a house or a floor of a building, etc. "What's the matter James, don't you have some guy at MI6 to give you gadgets?" he asks. "I'll have to look into that!" Bond answers.

Back at his hotel room, Bond hits the sack. He turns over and comes FACE TO FACE with a GIANT CENTIPEDE in his bed! Bond freezes as the hideous creature crawls over his chest. Once it's off him, he immediately crushes it with his shoe. He collapses onto the bed again, panting, but holds still again when ANOTHER centipede crawls across his leg. As it makes its way closer to...a sensitive area, Bond mutters "Oh no you don't!" and just slaps the thing off him, again crushing it. Bond humourously rips off all the sheets and pillows, turning the bed upside down, looking for more. His bed wrecked, he sits in a chair and opens a fresh bottle of vodka.

As the sun rises the next morning, Bond is in his car heading for the beach. He calls Quarrel, who tells him its earlier than they'd planned. Bond responds he couldn't sleep. "Bedbugs?" she asks. "You have no idea." is his response. Arriving alone at the deserted beach, Bond turns on his geiger counter watch and begins scouting. He sees what looks like an abandoned wetsuit on the shore. Moving into some trees, he gets some minor readings but is distracted by noise coming from the sea. He turns to see a woman emerging from the surf, FULLY NUDE(!) except for a belt with a knife strapped to each thigh. Bond stares in disbelief as the woman dumps a net of fish onto the beach and begins sorting them. Enjoying himself, Bond continues to watch, as the woman quickly stands, spins around and HURLS one of her knives in his direction, thudding into a tree just inches away from his face. "The next one is three inches to the right, so you'll only have one eye left to stare with".

"It just might be worth it", says Bond, who then then apologizes and introduces himself. She give him her name - Honeychile Ryder, she runs a small scale abalone harvesting business, in competition with Dent. As she slips her wetsuit on, Bond explains he was searching the beach for traces of radiation; she shows him her net of fish, including abalone. Bond detects high levels of radiation on them; she says she knows why - it's coming from an island to the south, the place where the dragon lives. Bond laughs at this but says he'd like to go there anyway. She tells him it's impossible to get there by boat due to the choppy waters and natural cliffs on the coast. "I have a friend named Felix who can fix anything", Bond muses.

At the hotel, Bond returns to his room to get supplies, but is surprised by Dent who is waiting behind the door. Dent says Bond should have just let the centipedes do their job, it would be a lot quicker than what's going to happen next. "This is a Smith and Wesson, and I'm going to have my seven" he remarks. Bond keeps him talking as he slowly reaches for his watch. He hits a button and the watch FLASHES, plunging the room into darkness. Dent FIRES six shots wildly as Bond drops to the floor, rolling behind a couch. The emergency hotel lights come on, as Dent smugly stands over Bond, squeezing the trigger. An empty click is heard, prompting Bond to say "Actually...you've had your six". The two men then FIGHT in a brutal fashion, leading to much smashed furniture and a cut on Bond's face. It ends as the two men crash out onto the balcony - Bond throws him over the edge. Walking back into the room, a MAID opens the door. "Housekeeping?" she asks, as she surveys the wreckage in the room. "Thank you, that'd be wonderful" says Bond as he leaves.

Cut to - the deck of a US freighter, the name "Shamelady" on the side.

Felix is waiting on deck as Bond, Quarrel, and Honey join him.

Felix - And who's this?
Bond - Felix, this is Honey.
Felix - There's no doubt about that.

Felix tells them Quarrel can get them to the island, and that this is the third favor he's done for Bond. "Feel free to start repaying me any time, brother", as he waves goodbye. Bond and the two ladies head for Bouvet island in the chopper.

BOUVET ISLAND

To be concluded!

#141 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Sorry I haven't been posting so much as late, guys. I've kind of lost itnerest in it for the time being.

#142 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

GREAT job tying everything together. Loved the change in dialogue between Bond and Dent and the unnerving centipede(s!) scene. :tup:

That essentially wraps up the story, but there are two issues left to deal with:

1. Dino, I know you said you wanted to come up with a way for No to use his cybernetic arms as weapons. Have you thought of anything?

2. The ending. Tdalton said he likes the way it ends as is, with No meeting his fiery demise, but what does everyone else think? That might be a bit of an abrupt ending for the film.

Sorry I haven't been posting so much as late, guys. I've kind of lost itnerest in it for the time being.

Your interest will return eventually. I think everyone has gone through what you're feeling now at some point or another.

"FRWL" is next, and knowing your interest and knowledge of all things Russia, I'm sure you'll have an idea or two to contribute. :D

#143 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

2. The ending. Tdalton said he likes the way it ends as is, with No meeting his fiery demise, but what does everyone else think? That might be a bit of an abrupt ending for the film.

I think it needs to end a bit more traditionally - albeit with the cliffhanger ending, should we choose to use it, the reveal of Blofeld and his disatisfaction with those in control at Quantum.

#144 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:52 AM

I think that the best way to go would be to just go ahead and either create a new character for LALD to fill the Quarrel role or to hand over any actions performed by Quarrel in the story to other characters already in place. I know we're still a ways from getting to that point, but I'm probably going to sit down to a viewing of LALD sometime in the next few days to start getting some ideas ready for it as it's probably the film interests me the most with regards to the remake process.

Looking forward to reading a final Dr. No treatment (although it does look like we're very close to being finished on this one, I think :)) and getting started on FRWL.

#145 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

Yep, "Dr. No" should be done very soon. I'm just waiting on dino to describe how he feels No should use his cybernetic arms.

Anyone have a suggestion of how Bond and Honey can escape the island?

#146 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

Yep, "Dr. No" should be done very soon. I'm just waiting on dino to describe how he feels No should use his cybernetic arms.

Anyone have a suggestion of how Bond and Honey can escape the island?

Ah yes, the arms. I came up with the notion that his hands could be magnetic. At the dinner table, Bond could grab a knife and try to plunge it into Mr. White's neck, but No raises his hand and the knife flies out of Bond's hand into his! (Sort of like Darth Vader taking Han Solo's gun in Empire strikes back! :D )

And later Bond would turn the tables on him by making his arms malfunction somehow, causing Dr.No to attach to something he really, really doesn't want to get attached to...

Anyway I will try and work it all out to the end tomorrow. And I notice I forgot about the three assassins - in terminus' section, Bond escapes from them and I forgot to include them again later on, so I may go back and rearrange a couple of things so they end up dead!

I think it needs to end a bit more traditionally - albeit with the cliffhanger ending, should we choose to use it, the reveal of Blofeld and his disatisfaction with those in control at Quantum.

I didn't plan on using Blofeld in Dr.No - I think it'd be better if he first appears in FRWL once we start getting a look at QUANTUM from the inside. Like, Blofeld would be in the meetings at the beginning voicing his dissatisfaction with how they've been handling things.

GREAT job tying everything together. Loved the change in dialogue between Bond and Dent and the unnerving centipede(s!) scene. :tup:

Thanks! Yes I figured for those iconic scenes and moments, it's pointless to just repeat them exactly, but putting a different spin on them cn be fun.

#147 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

Are we moving right onto "FRWL" after we finally finish "Dr. No"?

#148 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:33 AM

Are we moving right onto "FRWL" after we finally finish "Dr. No"?

Yeah I guess so...I actually want to watch it again first. Hopefully I'll get Dr.No done later tonight and then open the doors for FRWL ideas.

#149 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:49 AM

Looking forward to getting started on FRWL. I think I've got a pretty good casting idea for one of the villains, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting started on that, as well as being a bit more involved this time around. :)

EDIT:

I do think that, in the form it was in when I made the comment on it that it might have been a bit abrupt, but I do think there are ways to get around that and still keep that ending. With that said, however, I do agree with others who have made the comment that, seeing as how this one would follow on the heels of two consecutive films in which Bond didn't get the girl at the end, that this one would need a more traditional ending. In a vacuum, however, where CR and QoS didn't exist, I think that ending with Dr. No's demise could be a very powerful way to end the film, if done right, but I think that given the two projects that this would be following, it would be best to show a more traditional ending to the film.

Edited by tdalton, 19 January 2011 - 04:55 AM.

#150 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

OK, I think we've got it. I tweaked some of terminus' material to tie up the loose end of the three assassins (i.e. kill them off!), and filled in the various blanks we were left with. Inevitably, some ideas and concepts we bandied about during the creation ended up on the cutting room floor. So here's our Dr.No :

FADE IN/GUNBARREL SEQUENCE

JAMAICA

The gunbarrel sequence opens up to reveal a nighttime view of a pleasant looking house on beachfront property, which may look familiar to Bond aficionados. A title card tells us we are in Oracabessa, Jamaica. Armed guards patrolling the estate grounds reveal that somebody serious lives here. Two figures clad in black silently descend from the sky using parachutes, landing amongst the trees. One of the figures disappears out of sight as the second struggles to unhook his parachute. An armed guard appears behind him, raising his gun as...a silenced gunshot blows a third eye socket into his head.

The first figure in black pulls his balaclava off, revealing him to be James Bond: "Bloody hell, Strangways, forget the parachute, let's just get in there and do the job.” Strangways removes his balaclava also, and we see that he is a younger man much in the Bond mould himself. The two men move through the woods towards the house, silently taking down more guards as they trade banter.

STRANGWAYS: “Nice house. How did Haines get his hands on it?”
BOND: “Don't know. Used to belong to some kind of author, I think.”

They reach the house and enter through a back door. They quickly kick open a door, with guns drawn. A figure is seated in a swivel chair, his back to them.

BOND: “Guy Haines, I have a signed warrant ordering you be returned to Britain for immediate questioning regarding your association with the criminal organization known as QUANTUM.”

Haines doesn't respond. Bond moves in and spins the chair around. Guy Haines slumps forward, dead. Bond notices: "Two bullets in the back of the skull. Interesting."

STRANGWAYS: “What does it mean?”
BOND: “QUANTUM. They got here first.” At that moment, an alarm sounds and the entire house lights up.
BOND: “Well, we certainly walked right into this one.”
STRANGWAYS: “So what's the plan now?”
BOND: “I suppose we could kill everyone and make our escape.”
STRANGWAYS: “You say that like it's a bad thing.”

A firefight ensues, with Bond & Strangways using teamwork to cut down waves of guards. The two agents flee the compound into a jeep as the last remaining guards shoot at them.

STRANGWAYS: “So who are these QUANTUM people, anyway?”
BOND: “It's a long story.”
STRANGWAYS: “Good, we've got a long flight back to England.”

Bond rolls his eyes, as we shoot up to the sky, and beyond, into outer space, where a satellite orbits.

On a monitor in an unseen location, a man watches the satellite feed as Bond and Strangways make their escape. He punches numbers into a cell phone and speaks. “Haines was taken care of. Our old friends didn't get to him, so we can proceed with the operation as planned. I'll see you on the island.” The man hangs up the phone and leans forward, his face now visible in the glow of the monitor. It is Mr. White.

TITLES: Featuring theme tune sung by Brandon Flowers; images of silhouetted women reflected in satellites, and are seen swimming underwater.

EON Productions presents

DANIEL CRAIG as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in :

DR.NO

Cast
James Bond : Daniel Craig
Honey Ryder : Isabel Lucas
Dr. No : Daniel Dae Kim
Cyril Dent : Sharlto Copley
Quarrel : Genevieve Nnaji
Mr. White : Jesper Christensen
Strangways : Matthew Marsden
Bill Tanner : Rory Kinnear

with
Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter

and
Judi Dench as M

Screenplay by Neal Purvis & Robert Wade and John Logan

Directed by Sam Mendes

CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Town, South Africa – "Six months later", a title card tell us. We see Strangways infiltrating a building at night, a sign on the front reading "Dent Fishing Industries LLC". The security seems unusually hi-tech for what looks like a low-key fishing company; Strangways dodges security cameras, laser tripwires, and floor sensors as he makes his way though the top level office buildings. He picks the lock to an office marked "Desmond Dent". Inside, he switches on the computer and quickly accesses files. He enters a command to copy files to a wireless device, but strangely we don't see him holding any devices.

As the copying ensues, Strangways opens additional files. He sees one labeled "DOCTOR NO", and moves the cursor over it when a creaking noise makes him look up. Two African men with guns are outside the doorway. They open fire as Strangways ducks behind the desk. Blasting back at them, Strangways takes the room's only other exit - the window. He slides down an outer fire escape as the gunmen follow him. Weaving around disused boats and other fishing equipment as he dodges bullets, he makes his way to a parked car and slips into the driver's seat. He has his key in the ignition when - WHACK. A third African man in the back seat clubs Strangways with the back of his gun, sending him slumping forwards. The other two men gather outside the car.

“Do we get rid of him here?”
“No. The Doctor wants him.”

LONDON

We are looking at mug shots on a large projection monitor in a darkened room as we hear the voice of Bill Tanner. "Gregor Kakarov, Siberian mining entrepreneur. Dead in an alleged accident in one of his own mines. Moishe Soref, former Mossad turned telecom giant, found drowned in his own bathtub. Guy Haines, found dead, courtesy of 007.”

We see Bond and M watching the briefing. Bond drinks heavily as Tanner continues with the slideshow.

“Yusef Kabira, former MI6 prisoner, currently awaiting trial at Guantanamo. Dominic Greene, found deceased in a desert in Bolivia.” Bond smiles slightly at that one as he refills his glass.

“And finally, Mr. White, no other name known. Escaped from MI6 safe house in Siena, current whereabouts unknown.”

“But presumed to walk with a limp”, notes Bond cheerfully.

M hits a switch and the room brightens. “Thank you, Bill. So, 007, it appears all leads and information on this QUANTUM organization have dried up.”

BOND: “They're cleaning house; tying up the loose ends, but they'll be back. People like this just don't stop what they're doing.”
M: “And neither do we. As we've had no further information on these people since you found Haines dead six months ago, we're moving on. New assignment, it involves that young man who helped you out in Jamaica, Strangways."
BOND: “Wants me to recommend him for a promotion, does he?”
TANNER: “I'm afraid not, Bond. He's turned up dead in South Africa.” Tanner hands Bond a file with Strangways' dossier and photographs as M continues.
M: “He was found on a beach three days ago. Preliminary autopsy indicates he was attacked by some kind of animal, possibly at sea.”
BOND: “But also with the kind of wounds typically inflicted by punching and kicking. What was he doing out there?”
M: “What do you know about abalone, 007?”
BOND: “A kind of sea snail, endangered in many parts of the world. Its shells are valuable, which has given rise to illegal poaching and smuggling in recent years. Oh, and they're quite tasty.”
M: “We had Strangways looking into the poaching in South Africa, as it was affecting British fishing industries in Cape Town.”
BOND: “Is this kind of thing really worth MI6's time?”
M: “If someone is prepared to kill for it, then yes. I want you to carry on where Strangways left off. All the information and contacts he had gathered so far are in the dossier.”
BOND: “Well, I've always fancied a trip to South Africa...”

CAPE TOWN

Cape Town – Bond arrives at Cape Town International Airport and is immediately met by a driver who says he has been sent to take Bond to his hotel. Bond tells him he'll meet him outside, as he calls M. Asking if she sent a car to meet him, M says "No. MI6 doesn't have an unlimited supply of Aston Martins for you to wreck, 007.”

Outside the airport, the driver opens the car door for Bond, who casually grabs the man's head and slams it into the hood of the car. "I'll take the car, but I don't need a driver, thanks.” The driver gets up, clutching his bloody nose. Bond is in the driver's seat, pointing his gun at him. “Go back to whatever rock you crawled out from.” The driver runs, as Bond checks his cell phone again. A dot on a Google Map-esque landscape is moving, as we see a tiny tracking device on the driver's collar where Bond grabbed him. Satisfied, Bond starts the car and leaves, eventually arriving at the 'One and Only' Cape Town resort.

Checking in at the resort, Bond is handed a brown envelope filled with a fake passport, South African rand, and keys for a car that is parked in the car park at the side of the hotel. Bond heads out to the car park, expecting to find a sleek Aston Martin but ends up setting his eyes on a bright yellow Smart Fortwo ("Where's the rest of it?"). As a sports car with a throbbing engine pulls up beside the SmartCar and a greasy businessman gets out - shoots Bond a look of pity at his automobile. But Bond climbs into the car, sets off through the streets of Cape Town and soon arrives at the mortuary where Strangways body is being held by the South African authorities; he claims to be a co-worker of the young mans in SA to make arrangements for the repatriation of the corpse, but asks for a minute alone with the body. The morgue attendant agrees and Bond is alone with the body.

Bond takes out a pair of pliers and puts them into Strangways' mouth! A nasty CRUNCH is heard as Bond pulls out one of Strangways' teeth! Satisfied, he pockets the tooth and leaves, casually tossing the pliers into a trashcan on his way out. He tells the morgue attendant that Universal Exports will be in contact to make further arrangements, and leaves, slipping into the SmartCar outside where he removes and flips open the tip of the tooth to reveal the tooth is a pen drive. Inserting it into the cigarette lighter port on the car’s dashboard, Bond enters a conference with Tanner in London. The Chief of Staff accesses the information on the drive and explains that as part of his abalone poaching operation, Strangways believed he had stumbled onto something much greater - something connected to Dent Fishing Industries LLC and a Doctor. The file is corrupted, unfortunately, and no more information is revealed.

Tanner asks Bond what his next move is going to be. As he fingers the tooth, he responds: “I'm going to make a Dent in this investigation.” To do so, he pulls up outside a familiar office building. It is the headquarters of Dent Fishing Industries. Masquerading as Robert Stirling (the name on the fake passport that he got at the resort earlier), he claims to be a marine biologist looking for a meeting with Cyril Dent, the CEO of the fishing company. Dent agrees, but suggests that they talk over food - and asks "Stirling" to join him at the Greenhouse at the Cellars Hohenort. Bond offers to drive them to the restaurant, but when Dent's limousine pulls up – “On second thought...”

Over four courses, including an abalone starter ("These are good," quips Dent. "I know, because my people caught them”), Bond comes to the conclusion that the South African businessman is out for the money: he's greedy, proud and gregarious. In short, Bond doesn't like him. Dent has his limousine driver drop Bond off at the headquarters building, but the driver stops the car, the doors are flung open and Bond finds himself at the end of two guns, wielded by two of the men that murdered Strangways. It is only now that we realize that the limousine driver is the third man.

Bond manages to get the drop on the gunmen and slips away through the streets; it's an adrenaline-fueled suspense driven pursuit. Bond almost gets cornered down an ally by the three men, but he is hauled into a car by two South Africans, a brutish man that Bond recognizes from the airport and a stunning woman who introduces herself as Quarrel. And it's the Smart TwoFour that Bond left at the Dent building. Bond rolls his eyes; "Isn't there anything else?” Quarrel: “Well you can wait for the bus. There's one every hour.” Quarrel maneuvers the car down side streets, barreling towards Cape Town’s Bayside Shopping Mall in the process, with the three gunmen in pursuit in their own vehicle.

As Quarrel attempts to shake them off, Bond grabs the wheel to pull the car to the left towards an open air barbecue stand. The car bumps a propane tank into the middle of the road. The gunmen's car attempts to steer away but Bond fires, igniting the tank just as one of the gunmen jumps from the car. The other two are instantly killed in the crash.

Bond gets out and sees the third man is already on his feet and running to the mall entrance. The gunman flees through the mall, Bond giving chase on foot through the crowds. Running up several escalators, the gunman heads through a rooftop department store. Still seeing Bond behind him, he panics and jumps straight through the window! Bond looks out to see the man fall several storeys to his death as the store manager arrives on the scene. "That man just killed himself!" he says. Bond, noticing a particularly loud suit on display next to him, remarks "With prices like this, can't say I'm surprised".

Returning downstairs, Quarrel waits for him impatiently. "Can we go? I'd rather not know what a prison cell looks like". Bond quips "Keep driving like that and we'll find out", as he slips into the driver's seat, further infuriating Quarrel.

She directs him where to go as they head back into town. Bond muses that the gunman could have given himself up but chose to die. "What puts fear like that into people?" he wonders.

Soon they arrive at an apartment building. Quarrel brings Bond into the apartment...sitting there waiting is FELIX LEITER! He introduces Quarrel as his CIA liaison in Cape Town, and explains to Bond he dropped in for the weekend when he heard some crazy Brit agent was busting heads outside the airport.

They talk shop - Quarrel explains she was working on exposing Dent's operations with Strangways. Strangways had heard rumors of some strange Doctor being involved in the abalone trade. "Dr.No?" asks Bond, noting he caught that name in Strangways' data files. Felix explains he's heard the name, rumored to be a North Korean scientist, a specıalıst in nuclear physics, who disappeared years ago. Quarrel responds that she and Strangways had come across abalone and other fish washed up on the beach, with radiation poisoning. Bond says he wants to go that beach and check it out. As it's getting dark, they agree to rendezvous there in the morning. Felix is due back at his station in Bolivia but before he goes, he tosses Bond his watch. It has a built-in geiger counter and as an added bonus, can emit a small EMP pulse, good enough to knock out power in a house or a floor of a building, etc. "What's the matter James, don't you have some guy at MI6 to give you gadgets?" he asks. "I'll have to look into that!" Bond answers.

Back at his hotel room, Bond hits the sack. He turns over and comes FACE TO FACE with a GIANT CENTIPEDE in his bed! Bond freezes as the hideous creature crawls over his chest. Once it's off him, he immediately crushes it with his shoe. He collapses onto the bed again, panting, but holds still again when ANOTHER centipede crawls across his leg. As it makes its way closer to...a sensitive area, Bond mutters "Oh no you don't!" and just slaps the thing off him, again crushing it. Bond humourously rips off all the sheets and pillows, turning the bed upside down, looking for more. His bed wrecked, he sits in a chair and opens a fresh bottle of vodka.

As the sun rises the next morning, Bond is in his car heading for the beach. He calls Quarrel, who tells him its earlier than they'd planned. Bond responds he couldn't sleep. "Bedbugs?" she asks. "You have no idea." is his response. Arriving alone at the deserted beach, Bond turns on his geiger counter watch and begins scouting. He sees what looks like an abandoned wetsuit on the shore. Moving into some trees, he gets some minor readings but is distracted by noise coming from the sea. He turns to see a woman emerging from the surf, FULLY NUDE(!) except for a belt with a knife strapped to each thigh. Bond stares in disbelief as the woman dumps a net of fish onto the beach and begins sorting them. Enjoying himself, Bond continues to watch, as the woman quickly stands, spins around and HURLS one of her knives in his direction, thudding into a tree just inches away from his face. "The next one is three inches to the right, so you'll only have one eye left to stare with".

"It just might be worth it", says Bond, who then then apologizes and introduces himself. She give him her name - Honeychile Ryder, she runs a small scale abalone harvesting business, in competition with Dent. As she slips her wetsuit on, Bond explains he was searching the beach for traces of radiation; she shows him her net of fish, including abalone. Bond detects high levels of radiation on them; she says she knows why - it's coming from an island to the south, the place where the dragon lives. Bond laughs at this but says he'd like to go there anyway. She tells him it's impossible to get there by boat due to the choppy waters and natural cliffs on the coast. "I have a friend named Felix who can fix anything", Bond muses.

At the hotel, Bond returns to his room to get supplies, but is surprised by Dent who is waiting behind the door. Dent says Bond should have just let the centipedes do their job, it would be a lot quicker than what's going to happen next. "This is a Smith and Wesson, and I'm going to have my seven" he remarks. Bond keeps him talking as he slowly reaches for his watch. He hits a button and the watch FLASHES, plunging the room into darkness. Dent FIRES six shots wildly as Bond drops to the floor, rolling behind a couch. The emergency hotel lights come on, as Dent smugly stands over Bond, squeezing the trigger. An empty click is heard, prompting Bond to say "Actually...you've had your six". The two men then FIGHT in a brutal fashion, leading to much smashed furniture and a cut on Bond's face. It ends as the two men crash out onto the balcony - Bond throws him over the edge. Walking back into the room, a MAID opens the door. "Housekeeping?" she asks, as she surveys the wreckage in the room. "Actually I just threw out some of the garbage myself" says Bond as he leaves.

Cut to - the deck of a US freighter, the name "Shamelady" on the side.

Felix is waiting on deck as Bond, Quarrel, and Honey join him.

Felix - And who's this?
Bond - Felix, this is Honey.
Felix - There's no doubt about that.

Felix tells them Quarrel can get them to the island, and that this is the third favor he's done for Bond. "Feel free to start repaying me any time, brother", as he waves goodbye. Bond and the two ladies head for Bouvet island in the chopper.

BOUVET ISLAND

As their helicopter draws close to the steep cliffs of the icy island, it is struck by gunfire from unmanned turrets built into the cliffs; Quarrel does her best to maneuver out of harms' way and brings the chopper into a hard landing in the snow. Bond, Quarrel, and Honey exit the vehicle as they hear a patrol vehicle approaching.

Bond leads them into a valley. Outmanned and outgunned, Bond suggests the three of them quickly cover themselves in the snow. They do so as a patrol walks past, searching for the helicopter's occupants. They all pass undetected, and Bond digs himself out only to notice one more guard lagging behind. Not wanting to shoot and attract other guards, Bond hurls a SNOWBALL in the guard's face and tackles him to the ground, choking him to death as Honey watches, horrified.

Bond leads them on further into the island, when they come across a strange sight - an unnatural field filled with unusual plants. Bond urges them to tread carefully. As they move through the field, all three feel their vision start to blur. Bond says the plants must be some kind of toxin and they need to get out of there quickly. Just then, Quarrel SCREAMS as a huge shape looms over a hill. It is what appears to be a DRAGON! Bond can't believe his eyes. Quarrel ignores Bond's orders and turns to run. The 'Dragon' sees her and breathes a fireball at her, instantly killing her. Before Bond can react, armed guards are all over him. As they drag him towards the Dragon, Bond's vision returns to normal, and we see it is nothing but a painted truck. Bond explains to Honey that the hallucinogenic plants fooled them.

The truck enters a hidden tunnel into an underground compound. -=Bond and Honey are taken to a vast underground lair that looks like an opulent, Asian hotel. As they are shown around, Bond notes the place is powered by a nuclear reactor. They are invited to dinner, where they finally meet the mysterious Dr.No, a man with fully functional cybernetic arms.

A fourth guest joins them at the table : Mr. White. With armed guards watching him, Bond is powerless as White mocks him. "The last time you saw me sat in a chair, things were a little different, weren't they?"

Over dinner, everybody eats extravagant food except Dr.No, who drinks cups of broth. He explains to Bond that his strict diet combined with the climate of the island have kept him youthful and vital. Dr.No and White reveal their plan to Bond - No initially used the island as a remote location to synthesize a nuclear detonation; as a brash, arrogant young scientist, his early experiments went out of control, causing the Vela Incident which resulted in the loss of his arms. He spent years developing cybernetic arms while researching into satellite technology. No has now developed the technology to fool defense satellites into thinking their countries are under nuclear attack, resulting in automatic counterattacks. With the backing of QUANTUM, No will launch simultaneous fake nuclear explosions over London and Pyongyang, North Korea. No's scheme is bizarrely born out of a love for his home country - he wants to see its dictatorship government overthrown, but a massive disaster is needed for that to happen. White personally chose London as the second target simply because Bond and MI6 have been undermining QUANTUM's plans.

During the talk, Bond casually slides a knife from the table into his lap. As White takes a sip of his drink, Bond leaps up and LUNGES forward, ready to plunge the knife into White's chest! But before he has gotten even halfway across the table, Dr.No casually raises his hand and the knife flies out of Bond hand into his. "Not what I call traditional British table manners, Mr.Bond" declares Dr.No. Bond sits back down as armed guards now surround him, and he wraps his cut hand. "That's a handy trick. Must have cost you an arm and a leg to come up with that".

White gets up from the dinner table to leave the island, bidding Bond farewell. Dr.No is not amused at Bond's attitude, and then explains he intends to put Bond through his torture pipes, designed to measure how much pain a man can take. He remarks that Strangways did very well. Honey is put into a cell, she is to be a reward for the guards once their shift is over. Bond is thrown into another cell; unknown to Dr.No he has pocketed several objects from dinner - he files down the tip of the dinner knife into a point and places it inside his belt with the lighter in his hip pocket. Bond sees a wire grill guarding the ventilation shaft in the cell, but when he tries to remove it, he’s shocked. Bond’s hands are badly burned, but he cuts a strip of his shirt and safely removes the wire grate. He straightens the wire from the grate and makes an improvised spear, which he places down his pant leg. Bond works his way through the shaft, up a vertical bit about fifty yards long.

Exhausted, Bond makes it to the top of the vertical shaft and collapses. Above his head, he sees a porthole where he is being watched intently by Dr. No’s researchers. Bond continues on down an adjacent shaft. The metal on this shaft is heated, and is blistering Bond’s skin. He takes off his shirt and uses it for some protection for his hands. When he reaches the end of the shaft, the air becomes cool and he passes out from the pain under the watchful eye of another research porthole. When he awakes, Bond continues down the pitch-black shaft, using the lighter to find his way. He comes to a tangle of poisonous spider webs. Using the flame from the lighter and the spear, Bond kills all of the spiders and then continues down the shaft. The shaft suddenly turns downward, and Bond falls through the shaft and is deposited into the sea below. Bond discovers that he’s fallen into a cage and begins to climb out when he’s attacked by a giant squid. Bond stabs at its eyes with the spear and eventually crawls out, barely alive.

As Dr.No prepares for the fake detonations, Bond grabs a passing guard and kills him, taking his uniform. Undetected, he makes his way to Honey's cell and releases her. She collects her knife belt and Bond tells her to find a vehicle; they're going to need to make a fast getaway. Honey says she'll meet him in the garage where they came in.

Bond heads for the control center of the compound that houses the nuclear reactor. He sneaks into the control room and knocks out the operator. Bond turns every dial on the console up, causing a power surge, which sounds alarms.

The compound begins to shudder; guards begin fleeing in all directions, not knowing what to do. In his operations room, Dr.No gets up and heads for the door, but finds it locked! Through a porthole in the door, he sees Bond waving goodbye - Bond has jammed a fire axe into the handle, locking No in. As Bond heads for the garage, fires break out and walls begin to collapse.

Dr.No desperately tries to complete his operation but the computers malfunction, losing contact with the satellites. As the room collapses, Dr. No begins PUNCHING into the wall, his powerful arms smashing straight through concrete.

At the garage, Bond enters ready for a fight but finds several guards dead. The Dragon truck is the only vehicle in the room. It's "face" turns to look at him, pointing the flamethrower, when it stops and Honey appears from a hatch in its roof. "What are you waiting for?" she asks. Bond gets in and the truck smashes through the locked door, heading outside as huge explosions rock the compound behind them. Honey tells Bond she heard the guards talking about a submarine moored on the other side of the island.

As the truck heads downhill through the hallucinogenic field, Bond hears a thud on the roof. The hatch opens and an arm GRABS him, yanking him upwards. Dr.No is on the truck with them;"You're a dead man, Bond!" he yells as he wraps his fingers around Bond's throat. The two men struggle as Bond reaches for his watch; he activates the EMP again, causing Dr.No's arms to seize up and magnetically attach themselves to the truck. "I think I'll get a second opinion, Doctor", says Bond as he grabs Honey and they jump from the truck as it heads for the cliff edge, Dr.No desperately trying to pull himself free. He hallucinates that he's being pulled away by the 'Dragon' as the truck goes over the edge and plunges several hundred feet, exploding as it crashes into the rocky shore below.

Bond and Honey make it to the submarine dock; Bond launches the vehicle as explosions rock the entire island. Bond slumps onto the floor, exhausted. Honey kisses him.

Later, as the submarine approaches Cape Town, Bond receives an incoming message from Tanner. He's at the harbor with Interpol, the CIA and South African secret service, all waiting to question Bond. Bond, sitting in the Captain's chair, sighs and signals them he'll be arriving in five minutes. Just then, Honey comes in and sits in his lap. "What's going on?" she asks. "I have to go in for debriefing. It'll probably take hours". He presses a button labelled "SURFACE". Disappointed, Honey reaches across for another button. The submarine descends again.

Bond - What are you doing?
Honey - What do you think?

On the dock, Tanner asks what's going on. A South African official watching the sub through binoculars exclaims "Looks like they're going down!". Tanner stifles a smile and walks away.

The sub - Bond and Honey are in bed in a small but luxurious bedroom.

Bond - We can't stay here forever, you know. We're going to have to eat something sooner or later.
Honey - I suppose you're right. When we get back, what do you fancy?
Bond - Well...I've always enjoyed the taste of Honey. (We can bring in Roger Moore just to say that).

They kiss again.

THE END OF DR.NO

BUT JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE