935 replies to this topic

#841 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:24 AM

Re: getting it all tied into the ongoing plot, I'd remind people that Stormcaller is a perfectly legitimate and legal enterprise, possibly connected to the United Nations and the WHO somehow as well as various governments so the projects existence wouldn't be a surprise to MI6. I'll need to think about what's on the computer, but that seems like the logical connection where we can link it to the main plot -

Yeah feel free to adjust it as you see fit, but something they find on the laptop should be the McGuffin that leads to MI6 investigating Goodhewe/Stormcaller (perhaps via the Wisconsin house that is our first location).

#842 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

CAST

0 Title (Group Decision Field) - Stormcaller

1 Bond - Pierce Brosnan

2 Bond Girl 1 (Main ie Natalia/Wai Lin/Christmas/Jinx): Jennifer Garner as Karina, a top [INSERT APPROPRIATE INTELLIGENCE ORGANIZATION HERE] agent tasked with finding out what and/or who is behind the weather abnormalities mentioned in the plot description. She's ruthless, and while she doesn't have a licence to kill, she doesn't have a problem with performing such duties either. She gets gets the job done, regardless of the cost.
3 Bond Girl 2 (Minor ie Xenia/Paris/Elektra/Miranda): Rebecca Romjin Stamos as Adelaide Springs, a meteorlogist involved in Project Stormcaller and the development of the weather satellite, a villainess - she's a mix between Xenia Onatopp and Natalia Simonova.
4 Bond Girl 3 (Background Girl - Irina/Ingrid/Molly/Verity):

5 Henchman (a la Oddjob): Michael Madsen as corrupt NSA Chief Damian Falco.
6 Henchman 2: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson as Maleko, henchman skilled in hunting/tracking, and fond of using the Hawaiian 'koa', or shark-toothed dagger on his victims.

7 Villain: James Fox as Sir Laurence Goodhewe, a wealthy philanthropist with sinister intentions.

8 M: Judi Dench
9 Moneypenny: Samantha Bond
10 Q: John Cleese
11 Tanner: Michael Kitchen / Robinson: Colin Salmon (both can be used, or only one can be used - but one of them probably should turn up)

12 Ally 1: Pierre Bokma as Dutch meteorologist Martijn Vuursteen, part of the Stormcaller development team.

Re: Locations - no repeat locations are permitted

13 Pre-Titles Location: The Rhaetian Railway in Italy/Switzerland
14 Location 1: House on the Rock, Wisconsin
15 Location 2: Amsterdam
16 Location 3: Sathorn Unique skyscraper in Bangkok, Thailand
17 Location 4: The Everglades, South Florida, USA
18 Location 5: An abandoned NSA facility (previously used to keep tabs on Castro) located just outside San Juan, Puerto Rico

KEY PLOT POINTS

19 Villain's Plot: The villain has come into possession (either in a perfectly legal manner or by stealing it) of a weather manipulation satellite that is intended to be used to bring rain to arid areas in Africa, Asia and South America. However, the villain plans on using it to decimate areas of oil mining such as the Gulf of Mexico and the Newfoundland coast in Canada.

Suggestion - The villain could demonstrate the sheer power of the weather manipulation satellite by aiming it at the Ganges and causing the water level to rise dramatically and instantly, causing massive flooding of the surrounding areas. This does not mean that India needs to be a location, the scene can be shown via a computer screen.

20 Pre-Title Sequence Stunt: Bond is on a train, with orders to kill an enemy agent on board. But unknown to Bond, the agent is already aware of Bond's presence, and his mission, and has filled the train with his own henchman, ready to take out Bond once he makes his move. But Bond realizes what's going on when he uncovers a fake sommelier who fails to serve his wine correctly (a nod to the scrapped GE PTS), and a huge action-packed shootout ensues.
21 Major Stunt 1:
22 Major Stunt 2: Within the Stormcaller base at the Oosterschelde flood barrier, Bond engages in fisticuffs on the gangway of a giant Cloud Chamber, with the storm the villains have activated brewing not just outside but in the artificially generated clouds below. His opponent falls to his death and after a quip ("He's feeling a bit under the weather") Bond runs off to rescue the Bond girl, captured scientist Vuursteen, or both, who has/have been taken by Maleko and are being forced into the back of a car. A chase past the pylons through stormy weather eventually has Bond forcing the bad guy off the road and over the edge into the tempestuous water. The girl/scientist makes it to dry land while Bond and Maleko struggle under water, eventually getting caught in the machinery of the flood barrier. Bond wrenches himself free as Maleko is crushed by the hydraulics. Emerging from the water bloodied and drenched, he's asked if he's alright. "Just a bit of sea sickness."
23 Major Stunt 3:
24 Major Stunt 4: The villains are transporting cloud-seeding chemicals to a site, which they intend to spray before firing the satellite in order to increase its potency even further. Bond sneaks aboard, but is caught by Falco. He is danged out the back of an aeroplane for interrogation, but he is having none of it - he attacks Falco, using a hand gernade to rupture the massive tank of cloud-seeding chemicals loaded in the back of the place. Most of the redshirts are washed out the back of the plane, falling to their deaths, but Bond and Falco manage to hold on (Bond because he's expecting it, Falco because he's quick). The plane begins to climb steeply, leading to the tank becoming free. Bond throws himself out the back of the cargo bay while Falco is crushed by the tank. As everyone on-board the plane was wearing a HALO wingsuit (a special suit designed to aid aerodynamics and improve speed when freefalling), he is effectively able to jump from one plane to the next. As for Falco, we see a shot from the cockpit of the second plane as his body hits it square-on, finally killing him.
25 Finale Stunt: Bond sets out to confront Goodhewe, but Goodhewe sits in his chair, with his two bodyguards at either side, snaps his fingers, and Mr. Yaw leaves his employer's side to fight with Bond; Bond finally overpowers Yaw with (INSERT GADGET HERE), only for Goodhewe to snap his fingers again -- and Mr. Weh leaves his side, only to meet the same fate, if in a rougher manner, as Yaw. Bond finally approaches Goodhewe, only to confront an invisible force shield -- Bond barrels through (somehow), and Goodhewe runs up the stairs to the side, terrified. Bond chases him up to a balcony, where sit several potted plants, all of them, Goodhewe boasts, to be poisonous. He attempts to throw them, one at a time, at Bond, each one either missing him or getting smashed by Bond's defensive attacks; the final plant does not take kindly to this, and shoots a poisonous dart into Goodhewe's neck -- he turns purple, and collapses, dead. Bond looks over him and quips, "He seems to have turned a rather ghastly hue."

STUFF

26 Bond's Car (inc. car gadgets - if any): Aston Martin DB7

27 Gadget 1: A mobile camera phone that can be used to create false retinas. The camera is used to take a photo of a person's eye, and then copies the image onto a contact lens hidden in the phone. The process takes an hour, but it can be used sooner; the difference is that it will be less effective - Bond could use this to take a photo of his own eye, take the lens out early and then twist it on his eye to change the pattern of his retina in order to pass a retina scan and prove he is not James Bond.
28 Gadget 2:
29 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

30 Director: Stephen Frears

31 Music By: David Arnold

32 Themetune by David Arnold and [INSERT THEMETUNE SINGER]
33 Themetune Sung by:

34 Secondary Theme (a la 'If You Asked Me To', 'If There Was A Man' and 'Where Has Everybody Gone') by:
35 Secondary Theme Sung by:

36 Titles Designed By: Daniel Kleinman
37 Description of Titles:

#843 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

Yay for the car.

Re: Wisoncsin, it's really not a suitably Bondian locale is it - the suggested location really isn't Bondian either. The only way that I could see the House on the Rock location is if we take the infinity room and transpose it somewhere else. Any thoughts!?

#844 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:47 AM

Re: the Bangkok Sathorn Tower, as it is abandoned, would this be somewhere the villain would be using as a temporary or test base for Stormcaller? It's exactly the kind of place where they could use an antenna, and the high-rise building with huge gaps in it would be perfect for some Bond action hijinks.

#845 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:47 AM

Re: Wisoncsin, it's really not a suitably Bondian locale is it - the suggested location really isn't Bondian either. The only way that I could see the House on the Rock location is if we take the infinity room and transpose it somewhere else. Any thoughts!?

There are several links on the Wikipedia page that take you to sites featuring numerous photographs, and, trust me, it's pretty bizarre -- almost "Garden of Death"-level bizarre.

#846 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Yay for the car.

Wisconsin as a location is a bit John Gardner, isn't it? :)

The infinity room does look interesting, but not sure how to incorporate it. Maybe it could be Goodhewe's office where he has a friendly first meeting with Bond. Like I mentioned location doubling a couple of pages ago, we can use the House but we don't have to say it's in WI.

#847 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:52 AM

Re: the Bangkok Sathorn Tower, as it is abandoned, would this be somewhere the villain would be using as a temporary or test base for Stormcaller? It's exactly the kind of place where they could use an antenna, and the high-rise building with huge gaps in it would be perfect for some Bond action hijinks.

It's possible - but we don't want to have too many secondary control centres, we've already got one for the finale and another would be repetitive. I could see this being the location at which the villain has first destroyed the main control location in Amsterdam and is now offering the device on the black market, the test firing could occur whilst the villain is in Bangkok.

Perhaps this could tie into what is found on the laptop - if we make Krugman an information broker with some information on MI6 assets in his posession, but also some information on the black market offering of the weather manipulation program. This prompts the subsequent investigation in Amsterdam - and might require the sequences now in Wisconsin (to be relocated, but the infinity corridor kept) to be slipped after the Amsterdam sequences and before the Bangkok ones.

There are several links on the Wikipedia page that take you to sites featuring numerous photographs, and, trust me, it's pretty bizarre -- almost "Garden of Death"-level bizarre.

Wisconsin as a location is a bit John Gardner, isn't it? :)

The infinity room does look interesting, but not sure how to incorporate it. Maybe it could be Goodhewe's office where he has a friendly first meeting with Bond. Like I mentioned location doubling a couple of pages ago, we can use the House but we don't have to say it's in WI.

What dino said, I'm afraid. I like the idea of incorporating the infinity room into another more suitably Bondian foreign locale and using it in that manner. After Bond's rescued Adelaide from her abduction in Amsterdam and the destruction of the laboratories, he takes her to this foreign location and delivers her into the custody of Goodhewe.

This could also be where Bond meets Karine, in a Holly Goodhead sort of way.

Only tdalton to submit before I can open Round 4 - this round has gone fast!

#848 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

How about Geneva for the alternative location - curiously enough there's an organisation called the World Meteorlogical Organisation, which is part of the United Nations, that we could tie the Stormcaller Project into. It might make sense if the main offices of the operation are in Geneva - with Sir Laurence funding part of the project out of his own money (he is a philanthropist after all) with a building with an infinity room somehow included into it.

#849 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

How about Geneva for the alternative location - curiously enough there's an organisation called the World Meteorlogical Organisation, which is part of the United Nations, that we could tie the Stormcaller Project into. It might make sense if the main offices of the operation are in Geneva - with Sir Laurence funding part of the project out of his own money (he is a philanthropist after all) with a building with an infinity room somehow included into it.

Hmm but we have already used Switzerland in the PTS. We could resume after the PTS with Bond meeting M at an MI6 safehouse in Geneva, so it would be a direct continuation from the train scene.

#850 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:31 AM

Hmm but we have already used Switzerland in the PTS. We could resume after the PTS with Bond meeting M at an MI6 safehouse in Geneva, so it would be a direct continuation from the train scene.

True - but it is two different locations within Switzerland. St. Moritz and Geneva.

I can't see it being in the MI6 safehouse, taking place immediately post-PTS as it wouldn't make sense in the way the plots developing - and removing the WMO and the meeting with Goodhewe (which ostensibly take place after Amsterdam so Bond is handing Adelaide over to Sir Laurence) makes the location largely irrelevant to the scene.

I'd still like to use Geneva and think it can be used as I've suggested, but if the consensus is to move the meeting with Sir Laurence elsehwere, I'd work with that.

Atm - the location run is:

St. Moritz, Switzerland - MI6 Headquarters - Amsterdam - Geneva (or wherever the meeting with Sir Laurence occurs) - Bangkok - The Everglades - Puerto Rico

#851 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

Just out of curiosity, who will the next UB be set around? Will we be going post-Craig with a new Bond (like Fassbender), or will we be going back to Connery? Because depending on who is Bond, I have an awesome idea for a story involving a Khodorkovsky-like figure that is nothing like THE BOURNE SUPREMACY.

#852 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

Just out of curiosity, who will the next UB be set around? Will we be going post-Craig with a new Bond (like Fassbender), or will we be going back to Connery? Because depending on who is Bond, I have an awesome idea for a story involving a Khodorkovsky-like figure that is nothing like THE BOURNE SUPREMACY.

There are a few options - one of which is a new Bond (though my vote would go to Alex O'Laughlin, who I believe was one of the finalists - [not the F2 though] - to replace Brosnan and, I think, Hawaii 5-0 shows he has the ability to play the Bond role) following the same continuity as the Connery through to Brosnan films, that is, it would be done in 2006 and it wouldn't be a reboot.

Still, that's in the future - so keep everything in your head for the moment.

#853 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:05 AM

Well, I was just reading about Khodorkovsky today and the idea popped into my head.

#854 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

[edit] deleted

Edited by tdalton, 01 January 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#855 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hmmmm, some of these "stunts" are not really stunts. A mexican stand-off is fun and all, but the only time I'd reasonably call it a stunt would be if it were in UB-Connery or UB-Lazenby. I've noticed this a lot of late - where are the car chases and bungee jumps and the sequences that make you wonder how they did it. When they performed the barrel roll in the AMC Hornet in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, that was the first time it had been performed. I think we need a little more of that.

#856 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Two notes, and a bit of clarification in the proforma:
*Peter Mensah's character is called Mr Yaw, not Weh. Yaw is a Ghanaian name, Weh sounds more Asian.
*Could Karina be an agent of whatever the US internal affairs department is called? She could be investigating Falco's 'extra-curricular activities'. Incidentally, I don't think Falco would be the type to charge into a place guns blazing, showing his face.

CAST

1 Bond - Pierce Brosnan

2 Bond Girl 1 (Main ie Natalia/Wai Lin/Christmas/Jinx): Jennifer Garner as Karina, a top [INSERT APPROPRIATE INTELLIGENCE ORGANIZATION HERE] agent tasked with finding out what and/or who is behind the weather abnormalities mentioned in the plot description. She's ruthless, and while she doesn't have a licence to kill, she doesn't have a problem with performing such duties either. She gets gets the job done, regardless of the cost.
3 Bond Girl 2 (Minor ie Xenia/Paris/Elektra/Miranda): Rebecca Romijn Stamos as Adelaide Springs, a meteorlogist involved in Project Stormcaller and the development of the weather satellite, a villainess - she's a mix between Xenia Onatopp and Natalia Simonova.

6 Henchman 2: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson as Maleko, henchman skilled in hunting/tracking, and fond of using the Hawaiian 'koa', or shark-toothed dagger on his victims.
6b Henchman 3: Peter Mensah as the taciturn Mr Yaw.

7 Villain: James Fox as Sir Laurence Goodhewe, a wealthy philanthropist with sinister intentions.

11 Tanner: Michael Kitchen / Robinson: Colin Salmon (both can be used, or only one can be used - but one of them probably should turn up)

12 Ally 1: Pierre Bokma as Dutch meteorologist Martijn Vuursteen, part of the Stormcaller development team.

18 Location 5: An abandoned NSA facility (previously used to keep tabs on Castro) located just outside San Juan, Puerto Rico

KEY PLOT POINTS

19 Villain's Plot: The villain has come into possession (either in a perfectly legal manner or by stealing it) of a weather manipulation satellite that is intended to be used to bring rain to arid areas in Africa, Asia and South America. However, the villain plans on using it to decimate areas of oil mining such as the Gulf of Mexico and the Newfoundland coast in Canada.

Suggestion - The villain could demonstrate the sheer power of the weather manipulation satellite by aiming it at the Ganges and causing the water level to rise dramatically and instantly, causing massive flooding of the surrounding areas. This does not mean that India needs to be a location, the scene can be shown via a computer screen.

20 Pre-Title Sequence Stunt: Bond is on a train, with orders to kill an enemy agent on board. But unknown to Bond, the agent is already aware of Bond's presence, and his mission, and has filled the train with his own henchman, ready to take out Bond once he makes his move. But Bond realizes what's going on when he uncovers a fake sommelier who fails to serve his wine correctly (a nod to the scrapped GE PTS), and a huge action-packed shootout ensues.
21 Major Stunt 1:
22 Major Stunt 2: Within the Stormcaller base at the Oosterschelde flood barrier, Bond engages in fisticuffs on the gangway of a giant Cloud Chamber, with the storm the villains have activated brewing not just outside but in the artificially generated clouds below. His opponent falls to his death and after a quip ("He's feeling a bit under the weather") Bond runs off to rescue Adelaide, who has been taken by Mr Yaw (they're actually on the same side - faking the kidnapping because for their plans to work her true allegiance can't be revealed yet) and is being 'forced' into the back of a car. A chase past the pylons through stormy weather eventually has Bond forcing the bad guy off the road and over the edge into the tempestuous water. Adelaide makes it to dry land while Bond and Yaw struggle under water, eventually getting caught in the machinery of the flood barrier. Bond wrenches himself free as Yaw is crushed by the hydraulics. Emerging from the water bloodied and drenched, he's asked if he's alright. "Just a bit of sea sickness."
23 Major Stunt 3: Bond arrives in Bangkok at the Sathorn Unique skyscraper, thinking that this is another base of operations for the villain. When he steps foot inside, he finds that it is an abandoned building that is in ruins. As he looks around, he's stopped at gunpoint by Karina, who is also there following the same intelligence trail that Bond is following. They have a standoff as Karina interrogates Bond, during which the building is stormed by a swarm of armed men, led by Damien Falco. They work to fight there way through the guards, which is a mixture of gunfighting and hand-to-hand combat as the armed men try to herd them up the skyscraper towards the roof so they can corner them. When they make it to the roof, Bond and Karina dispose of the final armed men, but Falco has escaped. They pull their guns on each other, but talk each other down after it becomes clear that they're working for the same side.
24 Major Stunt 4: The villains are transporting cloud-seeding chemicals to a site, which they intend to spray before firing the satellite in order to increase its potency even further. Bond sneaks aboard, but is caught by Falco. He is danged out the back of an aeroplane for interrogation, but he is having none of it - he attacks Falco, using a hand gernade to rupture the massive tank of cloud-seeding chemicals loaded in the back of the place. Most of the redshirts are washed out the back of the plane, falling to their deaths, but Bond and Falco manage to hold on (Bond because he's expecting it, Falco because he's quick). The plane begins to climb steeply, leading to the tank becoming free. Bond throws himself out the back of the cargo bay while Falco is crushed by the tank. As everyone on-board the plane was wearing a HALO wingsuit (a special suit designed to aid aerodynamics and improve speed when freefalling), he is effectively able to jump from one plane to the next. As for Falco, we see a shot from the cockpit of the second plane as his body hits it square-on, finally killing him.
25 Finale Stunt: Bond sets out to confront Goodhewe, but Goodhewe sits in his chair, with his two bodyguards at either side, snaps his fingers, and Mr. Yaw leaves his employer's side to fight with Bond; Bond finally overpowers Yaw with (INSERT GADGET HERE), only for Goodhewe to snap his fingers again -- and Mr. Weh leaves his side, only to meet the same fate, if in a rougher manner, as Yaw. Bond finally approaches Goodhewe, only to confront an invisible force shield -- Bond barrels through (somehow), and Goodhewe runs up the stairs to the side, terrified. Bond chases him up to a balcony, where sit several potted plants, all of them, Goodhewe boasts, to be poisonous. He attempts to throw them, one at a time, at Bond, each one either missing him or getting smashed by Bond's defensive attacks; the final plant does not take kindly to this, and shoots a poisonous dart into Goodhewe's neck -- he turns purple, and collapses, dead. Bond looks over him and quips, "He seems to have turned a rather ghastly hue."

STUFF

27 Gadget 1: A mobile camera phone that can be used to create false retinas. The camera is used to take a photo of a person's eye, and then copies the image onto a contact lens hidden in the phone. The process takes an hour, but it can be used sooner; the difference is that it will be less effective - Bond could use this to take a photo of his own eye, take the lens out early and then twist it on his eye to change the pattern of his retina in order to pass a retina scan and prove he is not James Bond.
28 Gadget 2:
29 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

33 Themetune Sung by:

34 Secondary Theme (a la 'If You Asked Me To', 'If There Was A Man' and 'Where Has Everybody Gone') by:

#857 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

[edit] - Third round submission retracted.

CAST

1 Bond - Pierce Brosnan

3 Bond Girl 2 (Minor ie Xenia/Paris/Elektra/Miranda): Rebecca Romijn Stamos as Adelaide Springs, a meteorlogist involved in Project Stormcaller and the development of the weather satellite, a villainess - she's a mix between Xenia Onatopp and Natalia Simonova.

KEY PLOT POINTS

21 Major Stunt 1:
22 Major Stunt 2: Within the Stormcaller base at the Oosterschelde flood barrier, Bond engages in fisticuffs on the gangway of a giant Cloud Chamber, with the storm the villains have activated brewing not just outside but in the artificially generated clouds below. His opponent falls to his death and after a quip ("He's feeling a bit under the weather") Bond runs off to rescue Adelaide, who has been taken by Mr Yaw (they're actually on the same side - faking the kidnapping because for their plans to work her true allegiance can't be revealed yet) and is being 'forced' into the back of a car. A chase past the pylons through stormy weather eventually has Bond forcing the bad guy off the road and over the edge into the tempestuous water. Adelaide makes it to dry land while Bond and Yaw struggle under water, eventually getting caught in the machinery of the flood barrier. Bond wrenches himself free as Yaw is crushed by the hydraulics. Emerging from the water bloodied and drenched, he's asked if he's alright. "Just a bit of sea sickness."
23 Major Stunt 3:

STUFF

28 Gadget 2:
29 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

33 Themetune Sung by:

#858 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hmmmm, some of these "stunts" are not really stunts. A mexican stand-off is fun and all, but the only time I'd reasonably call it a stunt would be if it were in UB-Connery or UB-Lazenby. I've noticed this a lot of late - where are the car chases and bungee jumps and the sequences that make you wonder how they did it. When they performed the barrel roll in the AMC Hornet in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, that was the first time it had been performed. I think we need a little more of that.

I can see your point.

We still need tdalton to submit something before we can move onto the fourth round - as he's retracted his round three entry.

I've got some more scribbles about how all this hangs together, so will type those up and post them later and hopefully open up Round 4 at the same time. I have an interesting themetune singer for my fourth and final choice.

#859 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

We still need tdalton to submit something before we can move onto the fourth round - as he's retracted his round three entry.

Please skip my turn.

I can see your point.

The need to have some kind of spectacle stunt was what was the problem behind a lot of the films. Stunts and/or action sequences should be there to further the story and to serve the story, rather than to be simply there for the spectacle of it.

While I recognize that my submission wasn't particularly good (that was the sole reason I retracted it, not for any objections that it received), if we're going to simply have 4-5 stunts that are designed to leave the audience wondering "how did they do that?" after each one, then there's really no point in even doing a treatment or developing a plot, as we've seen several times in the series, the "film" would be strictly built around said stunts and everything else would just be filler leading up to those stunts.

The best Bond films really feature no such stunts. I don't recall wondering "how did they do that?" while watching films such as Dr. No, From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, or Casino Royale. Those films are filled with the simple car chases, gunfights, hand-to-hand fight scenes, and so on, and they're all the better for it. Their stunts are there to serve the plot and, for the most part, arise organically out of the plot rather than a need to display some kind of a spectacle.

Edited by tdalton, 01 January 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#860 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

And the problem with the "How did they do that?" thing is that it doesn't exist any more, because the answer is now always : CGI. I suspect the plane stunt that's been submitted would involve Pierce hanging on some wires in front of a green screen with a fan blowing in his face.

#861 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Perhaps we need to look at adjusting the order that you can fill fields in - perhaps the stunts can only be filled in once the plot has been stated and the locations selected. What do people think?

It's a shame you've retracted the sequence, although I could see CT's point, I wouldn't have urged the retraction of your sequence - which could have worked with a bit of development.

Under tdalton's instructions, I'm opening Round 4 -

CAST

1 Bond - Pierce Brosnan

KEY PLOT POINTS

21 Major Stunt 1:
23 Major Stunt 3:

STUFF

28 Gadget 2:
29 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

32 Themetune by David Arnold, Linda Perry and Christina Aguilera
33 Themetune Sung by: Christina Aguilera (after Madonna performs the title of the previous Bond film, EON seeks to duplicate its commercial success by getting Christina Aguilera to sing the title theme for Stormcaller; this decision comes hot on the heels of the artists single, number one in several countries, 'Beautiful' - with whom Aguilera reteams with to write this song too)

#862 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

It's a shame you've retracted the sequence, although I could see CT's point, I wouldn't have urged the retraction of your sequence - which could have worked with a bit of development.

My retraction of my sequence had nothing to do with any particular complaint over the sequence. I retracted it because I didn't like it. Essentially I felt like it was the worst scene I've put together built around probably the weakest character (Karina) that I've developed to date, and decided to scrap the entire thing.

However, if we're now expected to force over-the-top stunts into the action sequences because of a need to wonder "how did they do that?", then I won't be submitting any more ideas.

Edited by tdalton, 02 January 2011 - 01:50 AM.

#863 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

No - that's not the expectation, I don't think the presumption is they need to be over-the-top 'how did they do that'. My only thought (and this is a personal view and ultimately very subjective) about the action sequences is there should be a sense of sheer coolness, even a bout of fisticuffs in the right location could have that sense of sheer coolness - you cited CR as a sequence which had very few traditional OTT set-piece action sequences. But even the bout of fisticuffs in the stairwell, or the fight in the sinking building had a sense of coolness to them -

That's all, I myself, would ask of any action sequence.

I'm happy for you to resubmit a revised action sequence, one that you're happy with, and consider it your round three turn - and then for you to take your round four turn as well. I've always been very happy with your input into the project - whether it be casting, locations or stunt sequences.

#864 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

Here's how I envisage the first half of the movie to run - we need a stunt sequence somehow in Geneva and we need to flesh out Bangkok/Florida/Puerto Rico.

Italy/Switzerland - Bond is on the Rhaetian Railway to intercept an information broker, Krugman. Krugman is killed but Bond recovers his briefcase.

MI6 Headquarters - In addition to the information that MI6 expected to find - there is information on a legitimate weather manipulation project, Stormcaller, but offering its use for sale on the black market. MOD meteorologist Vuursteen explains how the satellite network could be used as a weapon.

Amsterdam - Bond is sent to the main Stormcaller research in Amsterdam where he meets the projects lead scientist, Adelaide Springs. He discovers that a bomb has been planted in the building and it seems like Adelaide is being kidnapped - he fights in a cloud chamber, rescues Adelaide and has a car chase.

Geneva - Bond hands Adelaide over to Sir Laurence, one of the main financiers of the project and its executive director, in his office which is an infinity room reaching out over a fountain. He has a massive wall mounted plasma screen map of the world, constantly being updated with weather data - it is mentioned that it is the middle of hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico. Bond also meets Karina, Sir Laurence's personal assistant - he believes that she is the source of the black market dealings but eventually finds that she is an undercover NSA operative.

Bangkok -

Bond and Karina travel to Bangkok where they discover that Sir Laurence is behind the black market offers - and that Damian Falco, the head of the NSA, is present too. He's either there in an attempt to aquire the use of the network for the Americans or he's involved in somehow diverting American attention for personal financial gain.

There is an arms auction in the unfinished Sathorn Unique hotel - and it is revealed that Adelaide is in league with the villains. What Bond presumed was an attempt to kidnap her was actually an attempt to extract her before the building blew up. Sir Laurence demonstrates the network by flooding the Ganges.

#865 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

CAST

1 Bond - Pierce Brosnan

4 Bond Girl 3 (Background Girl - Irina/Ingrid/Molly/Verity): Amy Acker as The Auctioneer, conducting the auction in Bangkok.

KEY PLOT POINTS

21 Major Stunt 1:
23 Major Stunt 3:

STUFF

28 Gadget 2:
29 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

33 Themetune Sung by: Christina Aguilera (after Madonna performs the title of the previous Bond film, EON seeks to duplicate its commercial success by getting Christina Aguilera to sing the title theme for Stormcaller; this decision comes hot on the heels of the artists single, number one in several countries, 'Beautiful' - with whom Aguilera reteams with to write this song too)

#866 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Good - albeit unorthodox - choice. She's not the first person who'd have sprung to mind.

If I'd still had the ability to pick a cast member, my choice for the third girl would have been Elsa Pataky as the rail stewardess from the PTS :D

#867 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Well, I was going to try and set her up as a recurring villain (as "Mystery Woman in San Juan") because she was awesome as Fred and Illyria in ANGEL and as Whiskey and Ambrose in DOLLHOUSE, but then I remembered we're doing UB-Brosnan and there may not be one coming after it.

#868 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

Fixed my stunt:

CAST

1 Bond - Pierce Brosnan

4 Bond Girl 3 (Background Girl - Irina/Ingrid/Molly/Verity): Amy Acker as The Auctioneer, conducting the auction in Bangkok.

KEY PLOT POINTS

21 Major Stunt 1:
23 Major Stunt 3:
25 Finale Stunt: Bond finally reaches Goodhewe, seated at the center of his compound, but Goodhewe sits in his chair, with his two bodyguards at either side, snaps his fingers, and Mr. Wynn leaves his employer's side to fight with Bond; Bond finally overpowers Wynn with (INSERT GADGET HERE), only for Goodhewe to snap his fingers again -- and Mr. Nihm leaves his side, only to meet the same fate, if in a rougher manner, as Wynn. Bond finally reaches Goodhewe, only for the villain to run up the stairs to the side, terrified. Bond chases him up several flights, to a balcony, where outside, Goodhewe's malfunctioning artificial storm is raging. Bond tries to approach Goodhewe, only for the wind and rain to continually blow him back, while Goodhewe stands arms spread-eagle, with his back flat against the wall, like a frightened mouse; the wind is completely passing him by, and hindering Bond. Goodhewe smiles, victoriously:

GOODHEWE: "You cannot stop me! Stormcaller is more powerful than either of us!"

A bolt flashes by, and Goodhewe continues to rant giddily:

GOODHEWE: "She will change the world, Bond! There's nothing you can do to stop that, now!"

Just then, a freak lightning bolt dashes right into the midst of where they are standin, throwing Goodhewe forward, shocked... right where Bond can reach him. 007 picks him up by the front of his shirt, yells over the storm, "Nice speech, Laurence; very enlightening!", then tosses him out and off the balcony, where he is carried away by the raging winds.

STUFF

28 Gadget 2: A small, short knife for close-quarters combat that comes out of the heel -- it's taken out and wielded, not used as a kicking weapon as part of the shoe.
29 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

31 Music by: David Arnold

#869 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

Well, I was going to try and set her up as a recurring villain (as "Mystery Woman in San Juan") because she was awesome as Fred and Illyria in ANGEL and as Whiskey and Ambrose in DOLLHOUSE, but then I remembered we're doing UB-Brosnan and there may not be one coming after it.

I'd suspect if the project has the longevity that it's possible for it to have, we may get another Brosnan film. I don't know about setting up recurring aspects for the Brosnan Era, at least in the fashion you've suggested with a mystery woman (assuming she'd need to feature in at least one more film and that she'd need an organisation to work for). I could see characters reappearing though - a la Zhukovsky and Wade.

28 Gadget 2: A poisonous knife in the heel of a shoe.

We've had a poisonous knife in a shoe before, though - wouldn't using it again here be a bit repetitive as far as gadgets go, especially when the gadget in question is so memorable. So memorable in fact, it was seen in the basement Q-Department in DAD - the film preceeding this one?

#870 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

We've had a poisonous knife in a shoe before, though - wouldn't using it again here be a bit repetitive as far as gadgets go, especially when the gadget in question is so memorable. So memorable in fact, it was seen in the basement Q-Department in DAD - the film preceeding this one?

I know that, but Bond didn't use it, did he?

You know what, drop the poisonous bit, and it'll be original; a small, short knife for close-quarters combat that comes out of the heel -- it's taken out and wielded, not used as a kicking weapon as part of the shoe.