935 replies to this topic

#271 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

Not sure about the villain surviving - the villain in the Moore films always seems to meet a particularly interesting fate. Would being torn to death by your own followers count as a gruesome death? Remember - dinovelvet postulated the fact that Brando would only film for a brief period and would not film outside of the soundstage.

I was just having a laugh about that, I didn't mean we'd have to restrict what we could do with him - if you want Brando to be outdoors, the good old rear projection unit can work its magic :)

I'd also like to see the villain die. Just throwing this out there, but given the ages of Brando and Assante, would they be father and son? Maybe that would be a twist revealed towards the end, and perhaps one would end up killing the other.

#272 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

They're both v. good suggestions.

#273 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

Just throwing this out there, but given the ages of Brando and Assante, would they be father and son? Maybe that would be a twist revealed towards the end, and perhaps one would end up killing the other.

I wanted Vigeaux to be a French-descended, American landed gentry type; he'd be funding LaFiera's whole scheme because he's as confident in the character's predictions as he is in the power of his own connections -- think of him as a more stable Max Zorin, as channeled through John Malkovich.

His background is important to his motivations; his "breeding", as it were, is impeccable -- the right women marrying the right men to produce the right number of male heirs, all resulting in Vigeaux. I'm almost seeing him as sort of a Kennedy type; young, charismatic, and able to "persuade" the authorities to look the other way -- which is essential for keeping the acquired missiles out of sight and mind.

I can see Vigeaux taking to LaFiera as a prophetical "father" figure, like a Joseph Smith of the Nuclear Age, but LaFiera clearly is using Vigeaux to fund the weapons plot, and has little use for him, otherwise.

As for Gropius House, look at the link; it's in the Bauhaus style, which would be interesting for a villain -- I initially considered more traditionally-built locales, but I've heard of Gropius, and so the name caught my eye... and it's in Massachusetts, which is just right for the Kennedy comparisons. ;)

I'm imagining the interiors to be shot on a soundstage, like the house where Willard Whyte is kept in Diamonds Are Forever; the outside would service for the outside of the villain's abode, but I'm imagining a far more alien-esque interior, full of bizarre examples of taking Bauhaus to new heights, and possibly the room would descend into the foundations (like the temporary living quarters of Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight) and reveal a much larger space underneath the house, where Vigeaux is (or both Vigeaux and LaFiera are) doing... I don't know what.

So many possibilities... :D

#274 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

I must ask: Was Armand Assante even making films back in 1975?

#275 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:12 AM

I must ask: Was Armand Assante even making films back in 1975?

Yep; he was a regular on two NBC soap operas, and had played a big role in the Sylvester Stallone-written The Lords of Flatbush the year before.

#276 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

Interesting idea - was picturing the villains underwater lair actually being a submarine (the 'Nautilus' name etc - the vessel being a mix between the SeaView on 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' and the Ulysees in Atlantis: The Lost Empire) and that it just be in the Great Barrier Reef for some specific reason, we can make it because of the terminator line thing and have the submarine being rigged to carry the (presumably stolen) nuclear missiles.

It kind of harkens back to the whole idea of the villains being a cult. I just have this vision in my mind of the villain standing atop something like Sugarloaf mountain in Rio (paralleling the statue of Christ) with all his followers amassed at the base, waiting for the missile to go off and the explosion to be visible ... only for nothing to happen at all.

Not sure about the villain surviving - the villain in the Moore films always seems to meet a particularly interesting fate. Would being torn to death by your own followers count as a gruesome death? Remember - dinovelvet postulated the fact that Brando would only film for a brief period and would not film outside of the soundstage.

Bond can kill Vigeaux on-location. After all, LaFiera is the leader, but he'll need someone to supervise the missile being fired, and that person can be Vigeaux. Meanwhile, LaFiera anticipates his event happening and it amounts to nothing. I'm not too bothered about the followers tearing him apart, but I kind of constructed this entire plot around a final scene where Bond makes a point of not killing the villain. I picked up the idea from the finale of SERENITY: Mal, the main character, is fighting with the Operative, an assassin who believes that he is working towards a "perfect world". Mal, who has no problem with killing, gets the Operative in a positon where the Operative is powerless and Mal is armed, but rather than killing him, Mal gives the Oeprative his "world without sin" by broadcasting a video showing the government is corrupt. The Operative does not die, but his faith is shattered. I kind of wanted to have Bond in a similar position where he renders a villain powerless, thus negating the need to kill him. Bond can walk away without fear of what the villain will do next. I think it would put an interesting slant on Bond's character because it would make him more than an assassin.

#277 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

So who are we still waiting on before round 3 opens?

#278 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

Two, I believe - tdalton and Samuel.

#279 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

1 Bond - Roger Moore

2 Bond Girl 1 (Main ie Pussy Galore/Kissy): Vanessa Redgrave as Samantha Pole, descendant of the Plantagenet dynasty and fiancee of John Vigeaux.
3 Bond Girl 2 (Minor ie Tilly Masterson/Aki):
4 Bond Girl 3 (Background Girl - Dink/Ling):

5 Henchman (a la Oddjob):

6 Villain 1: Marlon Brando as Vincenzo LaFiera.
7 Villain 2: Armand Assante as John Vigeaux, a young, French-descended blueblood with religious convictions as strong as the belief in his own money.

8 M: Bernard Lee
9 Moneypenny: Lois Maxwell
10 Q: Desmond Llewelyn

11 Ally 1: Clifton James as J.W. Pepper

Re: Locations - no repeat locations are permitted

12 Pre-Titles Location:
13 Location 1:
14 Location 2: Schloss Neuschwanstein, Germany.
15 Location 3: Iran
16 Location 4: Gropius House, Lincoln, Massachusetts
17 Location 5: The Great Barrier Reef (I'm speculating that LaFiera has a Ken Adams designed lair - something on the scale of the Atlantis, but submersible and mobile [the 'Nautilus' anyone?] - and that the final assault would be on it; this could also be the Pinewood Set that Marlon Brando 'agreed' all of his scenes would take place on)

KEY PLOT POINTS

18 Villains Plot: The villain has aquired a pair of nuclear missiles and intends to aim them at the terminator line on the moon, the point where the light side of the moon ends and the dark side begins. An explosion over the terminator line would be back-lit by the sun, making the explosion visible to every single human being on earth. The villain plans to do this in order to increase their sphere of influence over humankind (I know CT has some more ideas about this - but some of those would influence other fields so he can voice the rest of his concept later once the other fields are filled in).

19 Pre-Title Sequence Stunt: (Taken from an early draft of "LALD"): James Bond meets an old man in a garden at night. The man hands over a pair of special contact lenses. They are disturbed by the approach of enemy agents and Bond tries to help the man escape by assisting him over a high wall that surrounds the garden. However, Bond discovers that the garden is in fact on the top of a very high building and his contact falls to his death.
20 Major Stunt 1:
21 Major Stunt 2:
22 Major Stunt 3:
23 Major Stunt 4:
24 Finale Stunt: Bond is able to prevent the launch of the missile from the villain's base off the coast of Australia (the base is here because it offers the clearest shot at the Terminator Line). Meanwhile, the villain is preparing himself for a very public appearance before his followers somewhere else in anticipation of the event. However, it never happens - Bond stops the launch by sabotaging the launch controls. The missile drifts off-course and detonates just beyond the edge of space. Bond never actually kills the villain; the villain simply loses all credibility before his folowers, becoming Nostradamus-like in his failed prediction of the event.

STUFF

25 Bond's Car (inc. car gadgets - if any):

26 Gadget 1:
27 Gadget 2:
28 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

29 Director: Guy Hamilton/Lewis Gilbert

30 Music By: John Barry
31 Themetune by John Barry, Cher and Johnny Durrell (Johnny Durrell wrote several Cher songs at the time - including the title track to her 1974 album 'Dark Lady' and two others on the same album. For the song, think of 'Dark Lady' with a Barry-esque twist.)

32 Themetune Sung by: Cher

33 Titles Designed By: Maurice Binder
34 Description of Titles:

#280 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:11 PM

Didn't expect THAT casting at all.

#281 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

I, um... was not expecting Vigeaux to have a fiancee, but it certainly works with the Kennedy comparisons.

#282 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

Well - that's the joy and fun of the game, innit.

#283 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

Innit? :P

#284 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

We're only really waiting for tdalton now. I'm not sure if he's still taking a break from the game, but we will wait until tomorrow night and if he hasn't submitted then I will open Round 3. I've a cracker of an idea :D

#285 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:49 AM

A Bond girl named Pole? I can only imagine the innuendos. ;)

#286 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

A Bond girl named Pole? I can only imagine the innuendos. ;)

Yeah, that's why I picked it, but the Pole name has a lot of historical backing as well. The Poles were the last remnants of the Plantagenet claim to the English throne. Henry VIII pretty much disposed of them all, so Samantha isn't exactly historically accurate - but history can't stand in the way of a good pun.

#287 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

Okay - as promised, officially opening Round 3:

1 Bond - Roger Moore

2 Bond Girl 1 (Main ie Pussy Galore/Kissy): Vanessa Redgrave as Samantha Pole, descendant of the Plantagenet dynasty and fiancee of John Vigeaux.

7 Villain 2: Armand Assante as John Vigeaux, a young, French-descended blueblood with religious convictions as strong as the belief in his own money.

12 Pre-Titles Location:
13 Location 1: Montreal/Quebec, Canada (Vigeaux's 'birthplace' and seat of power)
17 Location 5: The Great Barrier Reef (I'm speculating that LaFiera has a Ken Adams designed lair - something on the scale of the Atlantis, but submersible and mobile [the 'Nautilus' anyone?] - and that the final assault would be on it; this could also be the Pinewood Set that Marlon Brando 'agreed' all of his scenes would take place on)

KEY PLOT POINTS

18 Villains Plot: The villain has aquired a pair of nuclear missiles and intends to aim them at the terminator line on the moon, the point where the light side of the moon ends and the dark side begins. An explosion over the terminator line would be back-lit by the sun, making the explosion visible to every single human being on earth. The villain plans to do this in order to increase their sphere of influence over humankind (I know CT has some more ideas about this - but some of those would influence other fields so he can voice the rest of his concept later once the other fields are filled in).

19 Pre-Title Sequence Stunt: (Taken from an early draft of "LALD"): James Bond meets an old man in a garden at night. The man hands over a pair of special contact lenses. They are disturbed by the approach of enemy agents and Bond tries to help the man escape by assisting him over a high wall that surrounds the garden. However, Bond discovers that the garden is in fact on the top of a very high building and his contact falls to his death.
20 Major Stunt 1:
21 Major Stunt 2:
22 Major Stunt 3:
23 Major Stunt 4:
24 Finale Stunt: Bond is able to prevent the launch of the missile from the villain's base off the coast of Australia (the base is here because it offers the clearest shot at the Terminator Line). Meanwhile, the villain is preparing himself for a very public appearance before his followers somewhere else in anticipation of the event. However, it never happens - Bond stops the launch by sabotaging the launch controls. The missile drifts off-course and detonates just beyond the edge of space. Bond never actually kills the villain; the villain simply loses all credibility before his folowers, becoming Nostradamus-like in his failed prediction of the event.

STUFF

26 Gadget 1:
27 Gadget 2:
28 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

31 Themetune by John Barry, Cher and Johnny Durrell (Johnny Durrell wrote several Cher songs at the time - including the title track to her 1974 album 'Dark Lady' and two others on the same album. For the song, think of 'Dark Lady' with a Barry-esque twist.)

#288 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

1 Bond - Roger Moore

12 Pre-Titles Location:
13 Location 1: Montreal/Quebec, Canada (Vigeaux's 'birthplace' and seat of power)

KEY PLOT POINTS

20 Major Stunt 1:
21 Major Stunt 2:
22 Major Stunt 3:
23 Major Stunt 4:

STUFF

26 Gadget 1: An 18-wheel truck that can lower a ramp to swallow up a passing car (not necessarily used by Bond).
27 Gadget 2:
28 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

#289 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

1 Bond - Roger Moore

12 Pre-Titles Location:

KEY PLOT POINTS

20 Major Stunt 1:
21 Major Stunt 2:
22 Major Stunt 3:
23 Major Stunt 4:

STUFF

26 Gadget 1: An 18-wheel truck that can lower a ramp to swallow up a passing car (not necessarily used by Bond).
27 Gadget 2: A pair of special contact lenses, used by Bond to see infrared wavelengths being generated by the captured missiles.
28 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

#290 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

27 Gadget 2: A pair of special contact lenses, used by Bond to see infrared wavelengths being generated by the captured missiles.

Good job tying your idea into my PTS suggestion. :tup:

#291 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

Good job tying your idea into my PTS suggestion. :tup:

Thanks; was a spur-of-the-moment idea, but I'm glad it worked out. :)

Now, how about Michael Sheard as the old man Bond meets with in the PTS? He was the one originally lined up for it, back in LALD...

As an addendum, here's what that sequence was originally supposed to be:

The one deleted scene I have heard of from the film is a sequence involving Bond meeting a contact in an exotic garden. Said contact gives Bond information in a microdot concealed in his contact lens. Bond then ushers the man out of the garden through a gate and we pull back to reveal that the garden is on a rooftop and the contact was a double agent. He falls to his death in a neat, bizarre Bond reversal. This sequence was meant to be in Italy, I believe and is the job referenced by M in the body of the film at Bond's flat. It also explains why and who Miss Caruso is. I believe the scene was prepared for but never filmed. Some of this information is contained in Yes, Mr Bronson, by Michael Sheard, the late UK character actor who would have played the contact in the scene and by anecdotal conversations.

#292 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

I guess it would make sense to position the scene in Italy, although that's not my prerogative at this point. I already have a fun idea in mind for Round 4.

#293 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

Careful gentlemen, impending intrusion on someone else's field!

We can always tie Miss Caruso in, somehow, to a potential UB film pre-LALD but post-DAF.

#294 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

1 Bond - Roger Moore

5 Henchman (a la Oddjob): Arnold Schwarzenegger as Heinrich Schwartz, German "knight" with great affection for two-handed swords.

12 Pre-Titles Location:

KEY PLOT POINTS

20 Major Stunt 1:
21 Major Stunt 2:
22 Major Stunt 3:
23 Major Stunt 4:

STUFF

28 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

#295 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

5 Henchman (a la Oddjob): Arnold Schwarzenegger as Heinrich Schwartz, German "knight" with great affection for two-handed swords.

I officially love you.

#296 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

I officially love you.

Good choice! I did consider putting a pre-Rocky Stallone into that slot, but Ahnuld is even better :) Here's my latest:

1 Bond - Roger Moore

3 Bond Girl 2 (Minor ie Tilly Masterson/Aki): Raquel Welch as Easy Phillips, FBI Agent undercover in the Vigeaux/LaFiera 'cult' (to be introduced as "Hello, I'm Easy". Cue raised eyebrow, and "But of course you are/ I never would have guessed/ There's no doubt about that", etc etc)

12 Pre-Titles Location:

KEY PLOT POINTS

20 Major Stunt 1:
21 Major Stunt 2:
22 Major Stunt 3:
23 Major Stunt 4:

STUFF

28 Gadget 3:

PRODUCTION

#297 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

Yes! I always thought Ms. Welch really should've been a Bond girl. Great choice. :tup:

#298 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

I officially love you.

Officially? Shall we set a date?

;)

#299 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

By my count, we're just waiting on CT now. This round seems to have moved quite quickly!

I wonder what happened to tdalton? Perhaps he just absolutely hates Roger Moore. :P

#300 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

Yup - just CT. Hopefully tdalton makes his return for his namesake's 1991 UB-Dalton film.