141 replies to this topic

#91 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

The movies have overdone the car thing anyway. Be nice to get away from it, at least for one or two books.

Actually I agree with this, especially for the movies. I don't think Bond should have a car for Bond 23. There are a handfull of films where Bond did not have a fancy car and they started to overdo it with the beginning of the Brosnan era. Unfortunately there is too much money in product placement in the vehicle Bond drives to be realistically left on the table.

Yeah, I've been calling for a no car movie all the way back to TWINE. But, yes, you're right, it's now all about the tie-in. But you can sense that it's forced and it undermines the movie and the cars. I mean, there's NO reason for Bond to take a convertible to Baku.

#92 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

Gardner's Bond rode one. I can't remember which novel, but there was a chase through winding streets in either Spain or Italy.

It was one of the last books, 'Cold' if I'm not mistaken. He rode a Harley, but that would not exactly be my idea, too law/dent-ish IMO.

No; Seafire: he had a Triumph Daytona I think.

I think you solidify my point. The Audi A4 or BMW 3 is a car the average man of late 20s or early 30s with above average financial means would drive. The problem is the last thing we want Bond to be is the average man.

One of my best friends drives a 2002 Audi A6 (he is 31) and I have 4 Jags. I can tell you for certain that any of my Jags get many more compliments from casual passer bys than his Audi.

There's a bit of a difference between an A4 and an RS4. The latter certainly always turns my head; an old XJ6 doesn't, I'm afraid; and I do like a Jag.
And if we're looking to the original books, Bond didn't drive his old Bentley to get compliments: he just liked it because it went fast.

Another thing I like about this motorcycle idea is it would generate the right kind of press. Yes, the press would play up the "controversy" -- BOND TRADES BENTLEY FOR BIKE! -- but no matter the tone, it would help announce what kind of Bond book this is -- modern, youthful, edgy. The choice of the Saab, and the press that generated, helped establish the Gardner books as 80s adventures of a more mature 007. Same thing here.

But who knows. It would be fun to be in on these conversations -- what can change and what can't. I recall being a panel at Gallifrey which was an open discussion about the new Doctor Who series (this was a year before the series started shooting) and the question was put out what did hey HAVE to retain. Did the Doctor HAVE to wear a scarf? No, not really. But then they asked did the Tardis HAVE to be a police box? Was it enough that Dr. Who has a time machine -- maybe it could be something cooler? I was pretty shocked this was even on the table. Pretty clear it HAD to be the police box or this guy wasn't Dr. Who.

So I would understand if, in the end, IFP feels James Bond HAS to drive a car. The make can vary, but it needs to be a car. But I think the case for a motorcycle has been well made here and I'd be willing to push this envelope. The movies have overdone the car thing anyway. Be nice to get away from it, at least for one or two books.

I think Bond could ride a bike, yeah, but I really don't think it'd be as big a deal as all that. He has a different car pretty much every time out and has been seen on a bike before on quite a few occasions; it's not really on the same level as replacing the police box.

#93 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

Gardner's Bond rode one. I can't remember which novel, but there was a chase through winding streets in either Spain or Italy.

It was one of the last books, 'Cold' if I'm not mistaken. He rode a Harley, but that would not exactly be my idea, too law/dent-ish IMO.

No; Seafire: he had a Triumph Daytona I think.

You're right on both accounts. The other bike was a Harley.

Another thing I like about this motorcycle idea is it would generate the right kind of press. Yes, the press would play up the "controversy" -- BOND TRADES BENTLEY FOR BIKE! -- but no matter the tone, it would help announce what kind of Bond book this is -- modern, youthful, edgy. The choice of the Saab, and the press that generated, helped establish the Gardner books as 80s adventures of a more mature 007. Same thing here.

But who knows. It would be fun to be in on these conversations -- what can change and what can't. I recall being a panel at Gallifrey which was an open discussion about the new Doctor Who series (this was a year before the series started shooting) and the question was put out what did hey HAVE to retain. Did the Doctor HAVE to wear a scarf? No, not really. But then they asked did the Tardis HAVE to be a police box? Was it enough that Dr. Who has a time machine -- maybe it could be something cooler? I was pretty shocked this was even on the table. Pretty clear it HAD to be the police box or this guy wasn't Dr. Who.

So I would understand if, in the end, IFP feels James Bond HAS to drive a car. The make can vary, but it needs to be a car. But I think the case for a motorcycle has been well made here and I'd be willing to push this envelope. The movies have overdone the car thing anyway. Be nice to get away from it, at least for one or two books.

I think Bond could ride a bike, yeah, but I really don't think it'd be as big a deal as all that. He has a different car pretty much every time out and has been seen on a bike before on quite a few occasions; it's not really on the same level as replacing the police box.

Now I think Project X, being the first definite reboot of lit-Bond, done for the first time by a contemporary major bestselling writer, will pretty much open its own league of the series. The choice of Bond's transport, regardless of the outcome, will very definitely generate media interest, all the more so if it happened to be a bold one. As zencat said, there is some potential to advertise the specific nature of the spirit of this reboot by the choice and the media will happily go for it with their coverage. Nothing so desirable as a good headline.

#94 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

I'm going to be a bit contrary and suggest a very used Lotus Esprit, specifically the last year of the original Guigario design. In the US, it can easily be found for $15,000, so I don't think it would be a hardship for a 28 year old James Bond to afford.

#95 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm going to be a bit contrary and suggest a very used Lotus Esprit, specifically the last year of the original Guigario design. In the US, it can easily be found for $15,000, so I don't think it would be a hardship for a 28 year old James Bond to afford.

No, I'm not really a fan of one of those. They belonged to their timeframe and have their fans, granted. But I really feel the design is too... Giugiaro.

#96 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

How about a Bristol Blenheim Speedster. Brit made, new and fast....

Posted Image

#97 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

Not bad. Not bad at all.

#98 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

The Blenheim Speedster is really a beauty. And most distinctive for sure.

#99 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Not bad. Not bad at all.

They also do one that looks very much like the Saab. It's called the Bristol Blenheim 3G. Hand built so Q Branch or Bond can request optional extras.

Posted Image

But I can really see new Bond in a Blenheim Speedster.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A big plus point also is the Showroom is in Kensington, a stones through from Bonds flat.

#100 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

The thing with the Speedster is, it really sticks out like hell, a sure security nightmare (btw, Wiesmanns would be in a neighbouring league). The Blenheim 3G on the other hand is almost too low-key for its pricetag.

#101 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

The thing with the Speedster is, it really sticks out like hell, a sure security nightmare (btw, Wiesmanns would be in a neighbouring league). The Blenheim 3G on the other hand is almost too low-key for its pricetag.

True, it does stick out in this day and age. But it's proper fantasy stuff. Didnt all Bond cars stick out to a certain degree, (apart from the everymans Saab)

The Blenheim 3G I would imagine is very bullet proof. Way to much for what it looks like, and thats a Saab. So yes, agree with you Trident it's way over priced. Lot's of famous people have had Bristols over the years.

#102 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

Posted Image

Very very nice. That says Fleming's Bond with a modern twist to me. Done!

Posted Image

#103 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

How about a Bristol Blenheim Speedster. Brit made, new and fast....

Posted Image

Hugely, ridiculously, enormously expensive! B) I saw the Bristol range at Canary Wharf a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with the 411 again (such a cool car), but a Young Bond having a Bristol is almost too much to swallow. But then I agree that Bond should be escapist and perhaps it would be fun.

Hell, maybe he should just have an old Jensen Interceptor. Or take a page from Steed's book and have the coolest Jag of them all; an XJCV12:

Posted Image

#104 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

I could see Bond on a bike for sure. Although he would have a car. The bike would be more of something for zipping about town. Maybe something he picked up in the military and held on to. A lot of people I know in the military (men and women) get a motorcycle because it's easy and inexpensive to store when they are deployed. For a 30-ish single former soldier, yeah I can see it. Nothing fancy. Maybe a BSA or something.

I like that, but it's maybe a little too traditional -- the peek of tux under the outfit and gun in hand. I'd actually like them to commit to a more realistic image, full leathers, but have a PPK strapped to his leg. Something that says this man is Bond, but new Bond, XBond, young and dangerous.

Far too traditional, completely agree. Also it should avoid NSNA associations.

PPK/gun strapped to the leg would be great; like that a lot!

Image would most likely depend on how it's done in the actual book (how it would be done, of course; zero indication as yet). If there was a specific scene that would capture the new approach, then that would perhaps be the best bet.

I could see Bond on a bike for sure. Although he would have a car. The bike would be more of something for zipping about town. Maybe something he picked up in the military and held on to. A lot of people I know in the military (men and women) get a motorcycle because it's easy and inexpensive to store when they are deployed. For a 30-ish single former soldier, yeah I can see it. Nothing fancy. Maybe a BSA or something.

I was thinking of a Norton Commando, powerful and a classic!

I'm actually warming to the idea that Bond wouldn't have a car, at least not at the start. The motorcycle would be for his fun, his transport, his endorphine-kicks and anyone, particularly any woman, not comfortable with that could go to hell for all Bond cares.

I do like the idea of a Norton; but rather than the Commando, I'd suggest something a little more rare, exotic and esoteric. Specifically, I'd recommend either the Commander or the F1. It is my understanding that the Commander was commonly used as a police bike in the UK prior to the BMW K series being adopted for that purpose. The F1 was the racing version of the Commander.

#105 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

Well stated old friend. B)

It would be great to have this new/younger 007 riding a Commander.

Brilliant.

#106 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

His mum's Renuault Clio, obviously.

Younger Brit CBNers will understand the theory behind this as these cars are all driven by ruthless, super-cool YOUNG men, very quickly.

#107 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

I do like the idea of a Norton; but rather than the Commando, I'd suggest something a little more rare, exotic and esoteric. Specifically, I'd recommend either the Commander or the F1. It is my understanding that the Commander was commonly used as a police bike in the UK prior to the BMW K series being adopted for that purpose. The F1 was the racing version of the Commander.

I dunno; I saw a Norton Commando 961 cafe racer (which is a limited edition) at a show a couple of weeks back and I thought it was a great looking-bike: very cool.

#108 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

I have to agree I'd prefer a Motorcycle for XBond

#109 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Maybe a motorcycle thread is needed.

#110 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

Might be too hard to split off all the motorcycle posts. Maybe I should change the thread title to "Transportation for XBond?"

#111 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Maybe a motorcycle thread is needed.

Hm, I think the main points, pros and cons, so on are already mentioned here. Not much left to add, is there?

Might be too hard to split off all the motorcycle posts. Maybe I should change the thread title to "Transportation for XBond?"

No never mind, Zencat. Not really worth the trouble. Not as if there will pop up a miraculous 100+ posts discussing the bike alternatives and basic reasoning behind it.

EDIT: Oh, thanks all the same, awfully nice! B)

#112 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

I changed it to "Vehicle for XBond?" That should cover everything. B)

#113 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

Mucho appreciated! B)

#114 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

From The Guardian:

He hasn't quite decided on the car Bond will be driving – but promises fans "won't be disappointed"

#115 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Lotus Evora.
Posted Image
That is all.

#116 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Lotus Evora.
Posted Image
That is all.

A man after my own heart; and my own heart after XBond in this car!

#117 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

Did you guys happen to notice the first post of this thread? ;)

Surprised someone hasn't already started this thread, so allow me to open with a Lotus Evora. There's something about it that clicks for me and a 28-year-old James Bond. Don't think he'd be able to afford as Aston Martin or a Bentley yet, but I think he'd still go for a British car, one that's a few years old, that he might even goose up with whatever the modern equivalent of Amherst Villiers supercharger would be. I don't know. Feels right for XBond. But I'm happy to hear other suggestions. B)

#118 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

" Now pay attention 007. Due to the recent down turn in the global economy, we are replacing your Aston Martin with this Segway. Naturally Q Branch has made the normal modifications. We have equipped the back with an oil slick. Unfortunately since the price of oil is so high right now we are forced to fill it with llama urine. It is not slippery like oil, but is sure does leave a nasty odor for those in pursuit. We were going to add rocket launchers, but we got a great buyout from the Americans on their post 4th of July Close out on a bunch of bottle rockets. We are adding an old Pepsi bottle to each handlebar and an placing a bottle rocket in each bottle. You will have to use your own Ronson lighter to light the damn thing."

Posted Image

#119 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hey, used in the right death-defying way, nothing wrong with a Segway sequence.

#120 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hey, used in the right death-defying way, nothing wrong with a Segway sequence.

Yeah, there would be because there's no getting around the fact how ridiculous people look on them! Have a look at Iron Man: Jeff Bridges spends about two seconds on one and it has me on the floor every time! :D