141 replies to this topic

#61 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:42 AM

A Jag would be great. Which one? Maybe an older one "lovingly restored"? B)

Well, I am a bit (just a bit) biased on the topic, but a late 80's XJS w/ the V-12 might just suit him. A member of the Jag owners club here in the states has a gorgeous '89 in dark grey with a black interior and the Brit headlamps. Very sleek.

#62 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

A Jag would be great. Which one? Maybe an older one "lovingly restored"? B)

Well, I am a bit (just a bit) biased on the topic, but a late 80's XJS w/ the V-12 might just suit him. A member of the Jag owners club here in the states has a gorgeous '89 in dark grey with a black interior and the Brit headlamps. Very sleek.

XJR-S, I reckon! More like the 'locomotive' that Fleming always talked about! :tdown:
My dad even used to have one in grey.

But they're a bit old (and rusty!) now, I reckon if NuBond is going to go for a Jag he'd get an XKR. They're as cheap as chips now.

#63 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

I've certainly appreciated what it takes to maintain an old Jag for sure. B)

But, a new younger Bond in an older Jag might just work. The trick with the damn things is always the electrical and yes, they are prone to rust. I just like the lines of the coupes. I do refer to my own as the "blue beast".

I kind of like the idea of Bond's personal car being almost as old as he is with this incarnation of the character. A car that caught his eye as a young lad. Perhaps sentimental in a way.

What was the line from Thunderball about the Bentley? "The most selfish car in the world" and from Moonraker the mechanic that thought of it as his own property and tending to it with "jealous care". My own mechanic is cut of the same cloth. :tdown:

Bottom line of this thread is that Bond's car should be of a British heritage or automotive legacy.

#64 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

A great as that sounds, I'm pretty sure Bond would never drive a car prone to problems. He's very good about the upkeep and maintainance of his equipment, most notably after surviving the failure of his Beretta.

I could never see Bond driving something like that. I'm still all about the Audi A4 or A6 on this one.

#65 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

I do agree, Omar. A young chap about town is more likely to go for an Audi RS4 or the like; the sort of thing that impresses a lady.

#66 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

for obvious reasons I'm with 003. I cannot see a 28 year old Bond driving an Audi A4 unless it was a rental car on a mission. It is a great car, perfoms and handles well, but really along with a BMW 3 series, is almost too stereotype for a man in his mid 20s-30s with a respectable income. There is nothing unique about it and Bond would pick a car that would show his individualism a bit more.

As far as being "an old mans car" Bryce and I will argue with you on that. Maybe it was that I was in my teens and early 20s in the 1980s when Jags were still cool, but it was the car I coveted when I was in high school. I bought my first Jag at 19 years old back in 1987 and have driven them ever sense. I have always felt that Bond was a bit of a traditionalist. In the 1950s when Bond was in his mid 30s he drove a 1933 Bentley, hardly the most modern, sporty and dependable vehicle one could own in the 1950s. Based on the tastes we know of a literary Bond, a 20 year old Jag would make perfect sense for a younger Bond.

#67 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

I think maybe Jags are perceived in a different way across the pond: I don't know of anyone my age who has one or wants one (an old one anyway: the new breed of XFs and XKs are much more stylish) and I'm a bit older than this new Bond! A mate of mine from school even had an Aston DB7 for a while and he's upgraded now to an RS4.
A very customised XKR; say a Paramount or something like that (although perhaps not quite as tasteless!) I could just about see him going for, but I have trouble imagining a stylish young ladykiller pootling around in an old Jag: it's just not really his image. It'd have to be a very sporty, spoilery one to make any sense.
If it's got to be an old powerhouse maybe a 90's TVR or something? That's not too old man-y.

Alfa Brera, maybe? Perhaps the Prodrive version?

#68 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

I'd say the same, mark, and I'm exactly the age X-Bond is supposed to be. That said, I don't drive, so my thoughts on cars might be a bit skewed towards what my friends and relatives drive.

#69 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

Bryce had a nice moment with JD today re Bond's choice of car, but I'm leaving it to him to relate it. Not sure he's home yet.

Also at both signings JD joked about how he's waiting for Bentley or Aston Martin to send him a free car, but so far nothing.

#70 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Perhaps Jag's are thought of a bit different here in the US but I think you are missing the point. I seriously doubt in the 1950's that a 1933 Bentley was a hot car for a stylish mid 30's lady killer around town car. If I recall correctly in the book Moonraker, Bond even thinks about how his old Bentley is out of it's league compared to Drax's Mercedes.

Although I do like the idea of a TVR.

#71 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

I'd forgotten about that. Yes, Bond is somewhat admiring (perhaps envious) of Drax's Mercedes at one point.

#72 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

Bryce had a nice moment with JD today re Bond's choice of car, but I'm leaving it to him to relate it. Not sure he's home yet.

All right Bryce,spill. What was said about the car???

#73 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:11 AM

All right Bryce,spill. What was said about the car???

He put it here: http://debrief.comma...p...t&p=1113145

#74 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:43 AM

Seems the matter is either settled already, probably with a distinctive choice. Or is to be settled soon.

#75 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

Also at both signings JD joked about how he's waiting for Bentley or Aston Martin to send him a free car, but so far nothing.

Arf! Can't argue with that! :tdown:
Gardner got a free Saab didn't, he? Should have aimed higher! B) Although I think I remember he also got a Bentley, but only for a year or something.

Perhaps Jag's are thought of a bit different here in the US but I think you are missing the point. I seriously doubt in the 1950's that a 1933 Bentley was a hot car for a stylish mid 30's lady killer around town car. If I recall correctly in the book Moonraker, Bond even thinks about how his old Bentley is out of it's league compared to Drax's Mercedes.

Although I do like the idea of a TVR.

No; I agree that if we were to update every element of the Flemings an old Jag is the closest thing to what an old Bentley was, but I don't think it rings true. I don't think the new novel should just be taking exactly what Fleming did and changing the names to suit the new setting: it needs more thought than that. Cars are better and cheaper than they ever were now: Bond can get pretty much just what he's after.

#76 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

for obvious reasons I'm with 003. I cannot see a 28 year old Bond driving an Audi A4 unless it was a rental car on a mission. It is a great car, perfoms and handles well, but really along with a BMW 3 series, is almost too stereotype for a man in his mid 20s-30s with a respectable income. There is nothing unique about it and Bond would pick a car that would show his individualism a bit more.

As far as being "an old mans car" Bryce and I will argue with you on that. Maybe it was that I was in my teens and early 20s in the 1980s when Jags were still cool, but it was the car I coveted when I was in high school. I bought my first Jag at 19 years old back in 1987 and have driven them ever sense. I have always felt that Bond was a bit of a traditionalist. In the 1950s when Bond was in his mid 30s he drove a 1933 Bentley, hardly the most modern, sporty and dependable vehicle one could own in the 1950s. Based on the tastes we know of a literary Bond, a 20 year old Jag would make perfect sense for a younger Bond.

I don't see it as that far of a stretch. At 25 I was driving a Lexus LS and my best friend was driving an Audi A4. There were quite a few more expensive (though not luxury) cars within my group of buds. I think it's quite expressive of what Bond would want for a car, solid construction, all wheel drive, good power, because those are the same reasons my bud Mike considered it.

#77 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

It's one of these ideas that initially reek of 'Oh, bloody awful! What a desperate attempt at cool.' But if you think of it, Bond mentions he's had a lot of fun in his youth with motorcycles (FAVTAK) or something to that effect. Also it's not so terribly un-Bond as some might think. He wouldn't have to spend his whole day in leather-protective outfit. He could drive to the HQ and change there into business attire. Also I can very good see Bond engaged in some very exciting high speed driving with his motorcycle for kicks, giving him some of the danger boozing and gambling would otherwise have provided for the original.

Operationally, it has a number of advantages:
-bikers are constantly disguised without stiking out for it
-motorcycles have a terrific speeding potential, even in congested traffic
-motorcycles are much less easily identified, particularly by shocked witnesses
-attacking from a motorcycle with a handgun is far easier without hindrance of a car's bodywork
-even defending an attack is easier with the agility a motorcycle provides
-driving a motorcycle without licence plate does not initially lead to police investigation as long as the driver doesn't draw attention

Overall, I think a motorcycle could be just the right decision for X-Bond.

Dan, the general idea would be, it's one of the few dangerous things you can easily indulge in on a daily basis, without drawing much attention AND the added operational advantages mentioned above. Also it would underline the character's solitary nature, his 'devil-may-care'-attitude. Don't think 'Wolverine's little brother'. Think 'speeding with the bare essentials an inch from the tarmac-Bond'.

Trident, I'm with you.

For this reboot, a motorcycle would do nicely. For the first few novels, anyway.

#78 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Can you imagine cover art showing Bond blasting through the streets of London on a superbike. I think that would announce nicely that this isn't your father's James Bond.

#79 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

Can you imagine cover art showing Bond blasting through the streets of London on a superbike. I think that would announce nicely that this isn't your father's James Bond.

It would probably have to feature dress shirt and black bow tie underneath the open leather's neck and something long-barrelled in Bond's hand, ideally in front of some major London landmark.

#80 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

I like that, but it's maybe a little too traditional -- the peek of tux under the outfit and gun in hand. I'd actually like them to commit to a more realistic image, full leathers, but have a PPK strapped to his leg. Something that says this man is Bond, but new Bond, XBond, young and dangerous.

#81 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

I could see Bond on a bike for sure. Although he would have a car. The bike would be more of something for zipping about town. Maybe something he picked up in the military and held on to. A lot of people I know in the military (men and women) get a motorcycle because it's easy and inexpensive to store when they are deployed. For a 30-ish single former soldier, yeah I can see it. Nothing fancy. Maybe a BSA or something.

Gardner's Bond rode one. I can't remember which novel, but there was a chase through winding streets in either Spain or Italy.

#82 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

I like that, but it's maybe a little too traditional -- the peek of tux under the outfit and gun in hand. I'd actually like them to commit to a more realistic image, full leathers, but have a PPK strapped to his leg. Something that says this man is Bond, but new Bond, XBond, young and dangerous.

Far too traditional, completely agree. Also it should avoid NSNA associations.

PPK/gun strapped to the leg would be great; like that a lot!

Image would most likely depend on how it's done in the actual book (how it would be done, of course; zero indication as yet). If there was a specific scene that would capture the new approach, then that would perhaps be the best bet.

I could see Bond on a bike for sure. Although he would have a car. The bike would be more of something for zipping about town. Maybe something he picked up in the military and held on to. A lot of people I know in the military (men and women) get a motorcycle because it's easy and inexpensive to store when they are deployed. For a 30-ish single former soldier, yeah I can see it. Nothing fancy. Maybe a BSA or something.

I was thinking of a Norton Commando, powerful and a classic!

I'm actually warming to the idea that Bond wouldn't have a car, at least not at the start. The motorcycle would be for his fun, his transport, his endorphine-kicks and anyone, particularly any woman, not comfortable with that could go to hell for all Bond cares.

Gardner's Bond rode one. I can't remember which novel, but there was a chase through winding streets in either Spain or Italy.

It was one of the last books, 'Cold' if I'm not mistaken. He rode a Harley, but that would not exactly be my idea, too law/dent-ish IMO.

#83 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

I don't think I'd want to see Bond on the cover. I'd like to see some really creative artwork the captures the mood of the novel while also telling us very little about it. The UK hardcover for DMC was mildly interesting, I'd like something along those lines. Either way, we're getting a new adventure soon!

#84 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

Yep, SeaFire. Believe it was Seville.

#85 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Oh, one other thing about the motorcycle would be that it also has tremendous erotic potential; strong sexual undertones whenever Bond should happen to take a woman with him on a ride (a fast ride, what else?!?). Almost a kind of foreplay and Bond certainly would relish every second of the experience.

#86 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Ok, if you really want Bond on a bike, it has to have the latest computer whizz.....so how about.....

............Street Hawk........

#87 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:42 PM

once again I agree with Bryce (Shocking, I know B) ), a motorcycle would be great as a second means of transportation. In rainy London I don't see Bond using a bike as his only means around town.

I don't see it as that far of a stretch. At 25 I was driving a Lexus LS and my best friend was driving an Audi A4. There were quite a few more expensive (though not luxury) cars within my group of buds. I think it's quite expressive of what Bond would want for a car, solid construction, all wheel drive, good power, because those are the same reasons my bud Mike considered it.

I think you solidify my point. The Audi A4 or BMW 3 is a car the average man of late 20s or early 30s with above average financial means would drive. The problem is the last thing we want Bond to be is the average man.

One of my best friends drives a 2002 Audi A6 (he is 31) and I have 4 Jags. I can tell you for certain that any of my Jags get many more compliments from casual passer bys than his Audi.

#88 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

Another thing I like about this motorcycle idea is it would generate the right kind of press. Yes, the press would play up the "controversy" -- BOND TRADES BENTLEY FOR BIKE! -- but no matter the tone, it would help announce what kind of Bond book this is -- modern, youthful, edgy. The choice of the Saab, and the press that generated, helped establish the Gardner books as 80s adventures of a more mature 007. Same thing here.

But who knows. It would be fun to be in on these conversations -- what can change and what can't. I recall being a panel at Gallifrey which was an open discussion about the new Doctor Who series (this was a year before the series started shooting) and the question was put out what did hey HAVE to retain. Did the Doctor HAVE to wear a scarf? No, not really. But then they asked did the Tardis HAVE to be a police box? Was it enough that Dr. Who has a time machine -- maybe it could be something cooler? I was pretty shocked this was even on the table. Pretty clear it HAD to be the police box or this guy wasn't Dr. Who.

So I would understand if, in the end, IFP feels James Bond HAS to drive a car. The make can vary, but it needs to be a car. But I think the case for a motorcycle has been well made here and I'd be willing to push this envelope. The movies have overdone the car thing anyway. Be nice to get away from it, at least for one or two books.

#89 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

The movies have overdone the car thing anyway. Be nice to get away from it, at least for one or two books.

Actually I agree with this, especially for the movies. I don't think Bond should have a car for Bond 23. There are a handfull of films where Bond did not have a fancy car and they started to overdo it with the beginning of the Brosnan era. Unfortunately there is too much money in product placement in the vehicle Bond drives to be realistically left on the table.

#90 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Thanks a lot, Zen! Just my thoughts.

I have to say a motorcycle would be a bold move, much bolder probably than having Bond not wear a tie each day in the office or have him armed only with a knife when not on assignment.

For me it's a question of translating Bond's more selfish side, his attraction to danger and his individualistic streak from the originals to a modern day. Much of that would be expressed by his choice of transport, but today cars are far from what they used to be in Fleming's/Bond's time. Hell, most cars share a tremendous number of parts with other makes/manufacturers/brands, even the high-end likes of Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari and so on. I daresay, whatever you choose is bound miss the mark somewhat. Not because it would be a bad choice. Because modern car manufacturers have come such a long way from the 30's.

Furthermore, driving the old 4.5 litre Bentley used to be a hard physical effort. It was a work-out, nothing less. Driving this beast at any kind of speed made you sweat and in its day it was a sport with good reason. Finding something that's even remotely similar in cars is practically impossible. In motorbikes it's the whole point. It's active transport. It's demanding. It's dangerous. It's for active, fit and athletic individualists.

I think it's what Bond would do today.