141 replies to this topic

#31 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Given a choice I would like to see a Bentley. Cant see a special edition of Project X with a diecast Audi hidden inside it. Not quite the same. B)

#32 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

If I understand the 00 section XBond's company car will have to fit in with his surroundings; that smacks of an Audi RS4

If we believe the story will involve Bond driving his own car; why not stick with an older Aston Martin

DB7

Posted Image

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

K1 and Trident -- I like the motorcycle (Norton) idea. It's subversive, but intriguing. Car could always come later.

#34 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

Oh, yes, I could get behind a motorbike - makes a bit more sense than the fellow having an Aston Martin or a Bentley stashed away on army wages.

#35 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

Keep the Bentley.

#36 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Bond would surely go for the XKR. An insanely fast car for not very much money at all. And it's even supercharged! Fleming would like that.
But, y'know: they're improving their image but a Jag just ain't a young guy about London's motor.

When I suggested an XK8, although I didn't specify it I though an R model would make the most sense. At least in the US, BMW, Mercedes and Audis are all too common with both the young hot shot crowd as well as every professional out there (along with Lexus). While somewhat common, Jaguar is still much smaller production and rare than the aforementioned. As far as what the brand represents, Jaguar is also the most natural precursor to both Aston Martin and Bentley (and although it is owned by an Indian company, Jaguar is still ENGLISH and made in England).

Below is both the older and the newer body style

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

K1 and Trident -- I like the motorcycle (Norton) idea. It's subversive, but intriguing. Car could always come later.

It's one of these ideas that initially reek of 'Oh, bloody awful! What a desperate attempt at cool.' But if you think of it, Bond mentions he's had a lot of fun in his youth with motorcycles (FAVTAK) or something to that effect. Also it's not so terribly un-Bond as some might think. He wouldn't have to spend his whole day in leather-protective outfit. He could drive to the HQ and change there into business attire. Also I can very good see Bond engaged in some very exciting high speed driving with his motorcycle for kicks, giving him some of the danger boozing and gambling would otherwise have provided for the original.

Operationally, it has a number of advantages:
-bikers are constantly disguised without stiking out for it
-motorcycles have a terrific speeding potential, even in congested traffic
-motorcycles are much less easily identified, particularly by shocked witnesses
-attacking from a motorcycle with a handgun is far easier without hindrance of a car's bodywork
-even defending an attack is easier with the agility a motorcycle provides
-driving a motorcycle without licence plate does not initially lead to police investigation as long as the driver doesn't draw attention

Overall, I think a motorcycle could be just the right decision for X-Bond.

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, I'm with you all the way in this, Trident. B) I also like that it subverts the whole Bond/car thing which has been run a bit into the ground by the movies.

...Bond mentions he's had a lot of fun in his youth with motorcycles (FAVTAK) or something to that effect.

Really? Wonder if Mr. Higson has made note of this.

#39 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Not very keen with Bond on a bike. Craig pulled it off in QOS fine, but I dont like the idea of lit Bond in full race leathers, or even a leather jacket. Not cool. Besides, bike are very very dangerous.

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

Besides, bike are very very dangerous.

Exactly. B)

#41 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

Besides, bike are very very dangerous.

Exactly. :tdown:

Oh no we cant have Bond getting hurt. B)

#42 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

Not very keen with Bond on a bike. Craig pulled it off in QOS fine, but I dont like the idea of lit Bond in full race leathers, or even a leather jacket. Not cool. Besides, bike are very very dangerous.

Not cool? I wouldn't say that. I'd say cool. I'd also say a handsome, well-built chap like X-Bond will invariably be, in bike leathers is very very sexy.

#43 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Dan, the general idea would be, it's one of the few dangerous things you can easily indulge in on a daily basis, without drawing much attention AND the added operational advantages mentioned above. Also it would underline the character's solitary nature, his 'devil-may-care'-attitude. Don't think 'Wolverine's little brother'. Think 'speeding with the bare essentials an inch from the tarmac-Bond'.

#44 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Not cool? I wouldn't say that. I'd say cool. I'd also say a handsome, well-built chap like X-Bond will invariably be, in bike leathers is very very sexy.

I am just not into bikes at the end of the day, my greatest Nemesis ride bikes. Each to their own.

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Dan, the general idea would be, it's one of the few dangerous things you can easily indulge in on a daily basis, without drawing much attention AND the added operational advantages mentioned above. Also it would underline the character's solitary nature, his 'devil-may-care'-attitude. Don't think 'Wolverine's little brother'. Think 'speeding with the bare essentials an inch from the tarmac-Bond'.

You're on fire, Trident! B)

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

...Bond mentions he's had a lot of fun in his youth with motorcycles (FAVTAK) or something to that effect.

Found it. When Bond is asked how he likes the BSA, he says...

"Goes like a dream. I'd forgotten what fun these damned things are."

#47 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

Are we talking like Craig used a bike in QOS, just used it at in the spare of the moment, or full time? I can handle the idea of a casual needs-any-mode-of transport-moment.

Found it. When Bond is asked how he likes the BSA, he says...

"Goes like a dream. I'd forgotten what fun these damned things are."

Ahh, umm, well, if it's good enough for Fleming......... I stand corrected and will now backtrack.

#48 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Think we're talking about Bond's own personal transport. The equivalent of the Bentley in CR/MR.

What he uses on mission, that's open to whatever the mission or situation requires.

#49 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

Oh well. Cant say I am a fan, but I wont get excited about it to much yet.

#50 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

You're on fire, Trident! B)

Now, wouldn't that be amazing if that was another of these Mido-moments? :tdown:

Doubt it though, things most likely will already be decided on. But the more I think about it, the more I like the general idea. X-Bond's Locomotive ought to have two wheels.

#51 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Took me long enough to get used to the Saab, now your taking two wheels away.

#52 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Think of what it would add in terms of speed. Doubt it will happen though. You wouldn't be the only one having to swallow on that.

Still, one can dream...

#53 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Think of what it would add in terms of speed. Doubt it will happen though. You wouldn't be the only one having to swallow on that.

Still, one can dream...

Hey, if it was done well, I am sure it would grow on me. We are talking reboot so anything is possible.

#54 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

Bond, on a bike. Shades of From A View To A Kill. I can do without the bike, though these is clear literary precidnet for it.

I still say Audi Ar.

#55 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

If we believe the story will involve Bond driving his own car; why not stick with an older Aston Martin

DB7

A fair point, yeah, not bad.

When I suggested an XK8, although I didn't specify it I though an R model would make the most sense. At least in the US, BMW, Mercedes and Audis are all too common with both the young hot shot crowd as well as every professional out there (along with Lexus). While somewhat common, Jaguar is still much smaller production and rare than the aforementioned. As far as what the brand represents, Jaguar is also the most natural precursor to both Aston Martin and Bentley (and although it is owned by an Indian company, Jaguar is still ENGLISH and made in England).

Rarer, yeah, but I don't know if Bond just wants rarity. They're lovely; I think they're ace, but they're just seen as a bit too much of an old man's car here to suit a young Bond. My dad has an XKR. It's hugely fast and I think it looks awesome, but I don't quite know if I'd feel right about owning it.

Yikes: you've given me horrible thoughts of Brosnan in Death Train!

#56 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

Never heard of Death Train before. Just looked it up and, yes, proof it dont suit Bond!

#57 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

Never heard of Death Train before. Just looked it up and, yes, proof it dont suit Bond!

No. Proof it doesn't suit BROSNAN.

#58 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

That wouldn't be too bad. He'd be able to fit it in his pocket like the Q Spider and Q Copter.

For those old farts on CBn, the Q Spider and Q Copter were featured in the video game, Everything or Nothing. B)

Thanks for that - from one of the old farts :tdown:

#59 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

Heavens: nice -and also terrible- find! Why would anyone upload that scene??

#60 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

Why not a DB3 for his personal/off duty car and something modern for when he's on a mission?