#121 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

Well stated old friend. B)

It would be great to have this new/younger 007 riding a Commander.

Brilliant.

Thank you :)

The Norton Commander:
Posted Image

The Norton F1:
Posted Image

Both use a very similar engine and can easily be tuned to let the rider cruise at 140+mph all day without a trace of aim-spoiling finger tingle.
The Norton F1 was a very race-winning bike until the rules were changed to bar it's wankel rotary powerplant; but it's a simple design that Bond could tune to his very own exacting demands, like Fleming's Bond had done with his Bentley.

#122 mcdonbb

mcdonbb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

A Jag would be great. Which one? Maybe an older one "lovingly restored"? B)

I probably should finish readding through the whole thread but oh well. Yeah I've been wondering this too. I restored older motor car might be nice and sonsistent with the literary history.

But then other lean toward the Evora...no Bentley though...maybe modified 70's or 80's Aston.

or a Saab lol.

I guess we'll see....

#123 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:51 AM

I had a really crazy idea for a Bond vehicle the other day. It's eerily quiet (nice to have stealth capabilities in a spy's vehicle), reasonably quick, nimble, has the looks of a cafe racer, and, to add icing on the cake it's a zero emissions vehicle, in case that's something they want to make an issue of:
Brammo Empulse

Posted Image

#124 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

It's been confirmed as the Bentley Continental GT at the Dubai launch today.

#125 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hm, Bentley. Not sure if like. Hm.

#126 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

As we know, 1950s literary Bond drove a Bentley. So it’s coherent for this Bond to drive a current day Bentley vehicle. Whether or not I like the look of it - which I do, I like the idea independently.

#127 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

As we know, 1950s literary Bond drove a Bentley. So it’s a coherent for this Bond to drive a current day Bentley vehicle. Whether or not I like the look of it - which I do, I like the idea independently.

Me too. It's continuity. The lit Bond drives a Bentley. It's a good sign that this Bond is still rooted in Fleming.

#128 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

As we know, 1950s literary Bond drove a Bentley. So it’s a coherent for this Bond to drive a current day Bentley vehicle. Whether or not I like the look of it - which I do, I like the idea independently.

Me too. It's continuity. The lit Bond drives a Bentley. It's a good sign that this Bond is still rooted in Fleming.

But is a 20 year old Bentley on a salvage title still plausible as being affordable by this rebooted Bond?

#129 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Well, if it's in line with Fleming let him have it. Will hardly matter if he can afford it, won't it?

#130 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

But is a 20 year old Bentley on a salvage title still plausible as being affordable by this rebooted Bond?

I was just going to point that out, thanks Darkpath. In Fleming's novels, Bond always drove an older pre-owned Bentley. I have trouble seeing how a 28 year old Bond will afford $100K+ car unless it is a company car provided for him.

#131 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

As we know, 1950s literary Bond drove a Bentley. So it’s coherent for this Bond to drive a current day Bentley vehicle. Whether or not I like the look of it - which I do, I like the idea independently.

Of course a Bentley is fine for Bond, but this is the cheap model; the footballer's wife model. Bond shouldn't drive the cheapest anything. Should have been the Brooklands. Hopefully it'll be the Gt Supersports: that at least has a touch of nuttiness about it.

Jim actually pointed out that Dubai is a fairly tacky place in itself: if Bond were loaned the Gt to drive whilst he was there it would make a bit of sense.

I was just going to point that out, thanks Darkpath. In Fleming's novels, Bond always drove an older pre-owned Bentley. I have trouble seeing how a 28 year old Bond will afford $100K+ car unless it is a company car provided for him.

You can buy a 20 year-old Bentley for less than £10K; quite a bit less, in fact. He shouldn't of course; they were all just saloons then and wouldn't suit him at all (Gardner and Benson never really thought about the type of car Bond liked, just the badge). I'm sure if Bond can live in a flat in Chelsea still they can have him own a Bentley; I don't mind that.

#132 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:37 AM

His mum's Renuault Clio, obviously.

Younger Brit CBNers will understand the theory behind this as these cars are all driven by ruthless, super-cool YOUNG men, very quickly.

With blacked out windows, a huge spoiler, and a fat exhaust?

#133 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

I'm guessing that it has to be a "company car". Nice and all to have Bond behind the wheel again, but I doubt it's his personal car. It's not so much the cost of purchasing one, but it's the damn upkeep.

I do concur that in Dubai they are about as common as an old VW beetle is here in the states.

#134 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

Having Bond drive a Bentley in this part of the world makes alot of sense. I remember pulling into Bahrain while on deployment, and while walking down the pier towards town, seeing row upon row of Porsches, Mercedes, and other luxury cars waiting for transport to Saudi and other parts of the region. He'll blend right in in a Continental GT.

Edited by Navy007Fan, 18 January 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#135 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Bond's Bentley is revealed:

http://www.thebookbo...-for-press.html

#136 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:01 AM

Bond's Bentley is revealed:

http://www.thebookbo...-for-press.html

Not sure what hurts more, the white exterior or nearly dear-god-my-eyes-are-bleeding red. Oh well. Not that these things have significant impact on a novel. Car's a car, and colour's a colour.

#137 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

I expect that Bentley were a bit disappointed that they didn't get to use the opportunity to show off the new Continental GT.

#138 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Oh, damn! Bond'll look like a middle-aged bussinessman going for gold on a sunny Sunday on this one. I hope they get him a mean Lotus.

#139 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

White body with red leather interior? Wasn't that the colours of Drax' Mercedes???

#140 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

White body with red leather interior? Wasn't that the colours of Drax' Mercedes???

Now my mental image of Bond driving this car will instead be replaced with Whisper driving the white Cadillac around New York.

What an awful car.

#141 mcdonbb

mcdonbb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:11 AM

Now my mental image of Bond driving this car will instead be replaced with Whisper driving the white Cadillac around New York.

What an awful car.

Errr.. not the best color example of a GT...or any car for that matter, but I dont think that is the color of Bond's Bentley in the novel. Just an example on hand I think. Didn't the article say something to that effect??? Hope so. Although it certainly is "blanche"..

Also if some came up to me and handed me the keys and title I certainly wouldnt dicker over the color...just saying

#142 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Of course, the Bentley isn's the only car Bond drives in Carte Blanche.

James Bond's other car...