902 replies to this topic

#781 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

An interesting accidental "confirmation" that Mendes is directing from Neal Mortiz:

Moritz: We now have a terrific script that John August wrote. We were originally talking with Sam Mendes about doing the movie. Sam Mendes is going to go off and do the Bond movie, so there’s another director that we’re talking to right now.

Source: Collider (a terrific movie news website, btw).

Already here mate.
http://debrief.comma...p;#entry1098404

#782 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

I wouldn't say he's a sure thing yet. The next Bond film might not even go into production this year, and Mendes has been known to walk from projects in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be another Roger Michell, if the situation with MGM drags on for many more months.

#783 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

I wouldn't say he's a sure thing yet. The next Bond film might not even go into production this year, and Mendes has been known to walk from projects in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be another Roger Michell, if the situation with MGM drags on for many more months.

A few points (which no doubt Zorin and others will say is totally wrong but meh)

They learned their mistake with Mitchell and aren't repeating it with Mendes right mow Mendes is currently adding his thoughts to the script. Basically the script is going back and forth between the various parties (director Producer Writers) compromising on certain aspects. Nothing major mind you just trying to match the Directors Vision of bond 23 with the Producers With the Writers all 3 parties want to make an amazing bond film.

the second thing I want to talk about is the Scott brothers their interest in MGM make me feel well quite comfortable with MGM,. Oh and expect an announcement that Sam Mendes is Directing bond 23 (and the release date) By June.

Of course now I'll let Zorin say i'm all wrong.

#784 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:40 AM

They learned their mistake with Mitchell and aren't repeating it with Mendes

I'm not trying to disagree or argue with you, but what lesson was learned with Mitchell? As far as I know he was in discussions to direct QoS, but they had "creative differences" and he was not signed on to direct. It happens in Hollywood all the time.

#785 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

I'm not trying to disagree or argue with you, but what lesson was learned with Mitchell? As far as I know he was in discussions to direct QoS, but they had "creative differences" and he was not signed on to direct. It happens in Hollywood all the time.

I would think, the situation is different, because Mendes pretty well KNOWS about the current situation and still seemed to to be taking the risk in order to get his chance with Bond.

#786 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

A few points (which no doubt Zorin and others will say is totally wrong but meh)

They learned their mistake with Mitchell and aren't repeating it with Mendes right mow Mendes is currently adding his thoughts to the script. Basically the script is going back and forth between the various parties (director Producer Writers) compromising on certain aspects. Nothing major mind you just trying to match the Directors Vision of bond 23 with the Producers With the Writers all 3 parties want to make an amazing bond film.

the second thing I want to talk about is the Scott brothers their interest in MGM make me feel well quite comfortable with MGM,. Oh and expect an announcement that Sam Mendes is Directing bond 23 (and the release date) By June.

Allow me? You´re all wrong.

No, seriously. You´re not all wrong. But you´re not all right either. Why? Because it´s all just rumors. Even the Scotts expressing interest - that does not mean anything. I would be interested in getting an announcement from EON in June, too. Doesn´t mean they will announce it.

Right now, it all comes down to one thing: the MGM situation is far from being resolved. As long as they don´t reach a decision, everything is up in the air.

#787 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

Well it is not hard, young Solace007...

What "mistake" did Eon / MGM make with Roger Michell? Just curious...

And the MGM saga being announced as "resolved" does not imply a Bond film will be announced the next day. Far from it, in fact.

#788 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

I would think, the situation is different, because Mendes pretty well KNOWS about the current situation and still seemed to to be taking the risk in order to get his chance with Bond.

I'd second that. If Mendes really wants to do Bond he'll have his go sooner or later. Only obstacle would be a situation dragging on too long and Mendes having other commitments in the meantime. But at the moment I'd think he's still on call.

#789 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Ah I figured Everyone would know the real reason why Mitchell left

It was because in the end I didn't feel comfortable with the Bond process, and I was very nervous that there was a start date but really no script at all. And I like to be very well prepared as a director," said Michell.

http://www.cinematic...ing-on-bond-22/

At this point in the game they are doing the exact opposite with Mendes giving him the drafts and getting his input on the script.

Could Mendes still leave? Sure.

Will it be for the same reason Mitchell Left? No it won't.

Should we assume Mendes is the director for now? Absolutely and from what i hear about his input into bond we should be excited.

#790 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

What have you heard about his input into Bond?

#791 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

It was because in the end I didn't feel comfortable with the Bond process, and I was very nervous that there was a start date but really no script at all. And I like to be very well prepared as a director," said Michell.

At this point in the game they are doing the exact opposite with Mendes giving him the drafts and getting his input on the script.

Should we assume Mendes is the director for now? Absolutely and from what i hear about his input into bond we should be excited.

Michell ended up not doing for Bond for reasons you have not even mentioned.

#792 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Mendes now doing Apple commercials.

http://www.cultofmac...-director/44403

#793 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Michell ended up not doing for Bond for reasons you have not even mentioned.

Indeed. It's naive to think that the only reason Mitchell left was because of the reasons stated. Always a lot more going on then we know about.

#794 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:59 AM

Mendes now doing Apple commercials.

http://www.cultofmac...-director/44403

hmm are they dark and moody lol

#795 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Probably time to forget about Mendes.

http://www.deadline....carey-mulligan/

#796 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:15 AM

Probably time to forget about Mendes.

http://www.deadline....carey-mulligan/

Not necessarily

"But Mendes remains committed to the Bond film and intends to direct it once the MGM ownership situation gets sorted out."

#797 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

Oh, how'd I miss that? B)

#798 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:08 AM

Seems like an interesting time killer for him.

I'd say if anything bodes poorly for Bond 23's already-protracted timeline, it's the fact that Mendes is confidently taking on this project with a targeted premiere of late 2011. Oy.

#799 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:43 AM

Cool that it's still something he's committed to.

#800 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:35 AM

I am curious to see the final Iphone 4G commercials he is working on.

#801 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:46 AM

Posted Image
Oscar-winning director not giving up on 007, despite MGM fiasco

#802 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

Regardless of whether or not I want Sam Mendes as the Bond 23 director, I think it would have been better if he had not said this. He should have remained silent to keep the pressure on MGM and its creditors.

#803 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

Good news that Mendes is committed to direct Bond 23. But I'm sure Guillermo del Toro once said the same thing about The Hobbit. Until the MGM situation is sorted, I'm not taking anything as read. But this is still encouraging news.

#804 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

Directing other fims doesn't prove anything. He wouldn't have stayed numb until MGM finally got its finance problem sorted out! As far as I'm concerned we don't have to worry about a thing.

#805 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Regardless of whether or not I want Sam Mendes as the Bond 23 director, I think it would have been better if he had not said this. He should have remained silent to keep the pressure on MGM and its creditors.

Or perhaps this could be considered pressure.

'People are waiting to start, sell while there is some worth left.'

#806 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

Mendes does have a lot of other potential projects though - including an adaptation with Carey Mulligan and at least two theatre productions...

#807 captnash2

captnash2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

mendes still in play cos michael and barbara will move mountains to try and get bond 23 out a.s.a.p.

also he's still attracted to having a bond film under his belt.

#808 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

That story sounds suspicious to me. Yet again, there's no actual quote from Mendes.

Have we ever seen a direct quote from Mendes that he's involved with, or even been approached about, Bond?

#809 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

Yep, he spoke to a WSJ reporter about it, and his publicist confirmed it as well.

#810 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

Yep, he spoke to a WSJ reporter about it, and his publicist confirmed it as well.

I don't think so. To the WSJ he said it was just speculation and there are no direct quotes from his publicist. If I'm wrong that's fine but please give a source.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 03 June 2010 - 10:38 PM.