902 replies to this topic

#841 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:49 AM

I am as eager to see Bond 23 get started as much as the next guy. But Sam Mendes? Blah. I have never liked a single thing he has done out of hie turgid, pretentious filmography. People were whining about Apted and Forester? This guy makes those two seem like John Glen.

How about Chrostopher Nolan? Both a critical darling and good with action. Hell, That snow base bit in Inception was practically an audition reel.

I have always wanted to see a Tony Scott directed Bond.

What about Phillip Noyce? One of my favorites. And a guy with a similar career path to Martin Campbell.

There's a legion of good, solid directors who would fit the bill.

#842 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

The producers have earmarked Sam Mendes. And although you do not like all his films, television and theatre work (I'm assuming you have seen at least some of it) they and a lot of other creatives clearly do.

#843 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

I recently saw JARHEAD (the last Mendes film I had to watch in order to complete my knowledge of his film work). And I was absolutely thrilled how funny (in a sardonic way) Mendes could be. Apart from his continuing insistence on fabulous wide screen photography, perfect performances, editing full of momentum and interesting scoring, his humor definitely would suit Bond very well.

I really hope things work out so that he can direct Bond 23 or 24 or 25 or... you know.

#844 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

Mendes is suprsingly still attached to bond 23 as far as every article written about the film and judging by his prior commitments it seems like he is planning to shoot Summer 2011-fall 2011 With i guess a winter/spring 2012 Release. And before Mharkin or zorin jump on the post my understanding is January -July 2012 He is devloping a stage production with kevin spacey and Daniel is filled up till i belive june 2011. So if u combine Daniel's and Sam's availability with the idea Spyglass Wants bond 23 asap it's not hard to make an educated guess when bond 23 will film and when it will be released. (though December 2011 is definitly a slim possibility but you never know because filming could start in june without Craig filming the on bond scenes (villian scenes and other shots between the lesser characters)

I live in hope of bond 23 Lets see where the chips fall and what happens.

#845 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

Mendes is suprsingly still attached to bond 23 as far as every article written about the film and judging by his prior commitments it seems like he is planning to shoot Summer 2011-fall 2011 With i guess a winter/spring 2012 Release. And before Mharkin or zorin jump on the post my understanding is January -July 2012 He is devloping a stage production with kevin spacey and Daniel is filled up till i belive june 2011. So if u combine Daniel's and Sam's availability with the idea Spyglass Wants bond 23 asap it's not hard to make an educated guess when bond 23 will film and when it will be released. (though December 2011 is definitly a slim possibility but you never know because filming could start in june without Craig filming the on bond scenes (villian scenes and other shots between the lesser characters)

Ahh... the parallel world where the THE MGM AFFAIR is not an issue....

#846 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Spyglass i thought was merging with MGM making them a non issue by january.

I mean hobbittt is casting apparently

#847 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

Spyglass i thought was merging with MGM making them a non issue by january.

I mean hobbittt is casting apparently

Time will tell. Though I don't know where you get January from. You are aware that the deal for Bond HQ is not just about pushing forward with one new film but safeguarding past and future properties too? Those sort of details and legalities take time - time beyond Spyglass/whoever/no-one's glittering announcement about MGM's woes being 'sorted' once again.

#848 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

By the way, EON never planned to release a Bond movie in 2010 - Wilson stated that they would take a break and come back in 2011, didn´t he?

So, we´re always complaining about the LONG BREAK - but actually, right now, we don´t really feel the aftershock of the MGM situation yet.

Granted, a Bond film in 2011 seems not that probable right now either. But it still could happen.

If a year from now nothing has been solved or announced we can start to worry.

#849 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:30 PM

I would not be surprised if Danjaq/EON are already working out contingent details with Spyglass. My guess is we will see Bond 23 in 2012, possibly being distributed by Sony.

#850 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

Mendes still onboard says MGW (btw, is this the first official confirmation of Mendes?).

http://movies.ign.co.../1126354p1.html

#851 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Mendes still onboard says MGW (btw, is this the first official confirmation of Mendes?).

http://movies.ign.co.../1126354p1.html

from michaels son David I created a new thread because well i feel this is big news no more second hand reports or whispers from agents this is confimation from eon productions yup Mendes is directing bond 23.

#852 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

I don't see this as big news myself. This is just reinforcement of Eon's intent to have Mendes at the helm and him wishing to do 23. Until the MGM stuff is sorted anything could happen, but fingers crossed it will all work out and Mendes will be signed to direct.

#853 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

yes but 8 months ago we were plagued with threads claming mendes was a well crafted hoax.. today's news proves nope not a hoax it's real

now if things can move foward i'd be happy or if we can get confirmation of another bond game next year....

#854 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'd be very happy also if things move forward, but regarding the Mendes story it soon became apparent there was something in it and unlikely to be a hoax. IMO hiring Mendes has got Barbara Broccoli written all over it. I think it just a question of timing, Mendes schedule and when 23 gets greenlit.

#855 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

I don't see this as big news myself. This is just reinforcement of Eon's intent to have Mendes at the helm and him wishing to do 23. Until the MGM stuff is sorted anything could happen, but fingers crossed it will all work out and Mendes will be signed to direct.

Exactly.

#856 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

The fact that the EON talk is shifting from consultant to director is more indication of - finally! - some forward movement in the MGM mess and by extension the suspended Bond 23. So along with the bankruptcy plans announcement, big news, yes.

#857 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

Daily Mail

The new James Bond movie will be a family affair for Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes.

The Oscar-winning film-maker is expected to direct Daniel Craig in the latest 007 adventure some time towards the end of next year, with the production likely to be based, as usual, at Pinewood film studios.
Kate revealed that their son Joe, seven, and Kate’s daughter Mia, ten, will move to the UK with her for the period of filming.

‘Sam is doing the next Bond film, all being well, and we’ll all be in England if that happens. It’s such a massive commitment for him and it’s not fair for him to commute backwards and ­forwards to New York from ­London. It would be impossible. The children will be there with me,’ Kate told me exclusively.

#858 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:11 AM

Does Daily Mail invent quotes? If not, hooray.

#859 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:27 AM

Nice. :tup:

#860 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

Keep the fingers crossed ! :tup:

#861 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Wait, hang on. I thought Winslet and Mendes split?

#862 Gt Munn

Gt Munn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

I am as eager to see Bond 23 get started as much as the next guy. But Sam Mendes? Blah. I have never liked a single thing he has done out of hie turgid, pretentious filmography. People were whining about Apted and Forester? This guy makes those two seem like John Glen.

How about Christopher Nolan? Both a critical darling and good with action. Hell, That snow base bit in Inception was practically an audition reel.

I have always wanted to see a Tony Scott directed Bond.

What about Phillip Noyce? One of my favorites. And a guy with a similar career path to Martin Campbell.

There's a legion of good, solid directors who would fit the bill.

Christopher Nolan is a little busy with the next Batman. He is also Warner Brother's little darling right now. By the way, the snow compound scene at the end of Inception was Bond all the way, and I would love if he did a film. Perhaps all in good time.
Tony Scott has no talent, and is now obsesses with editing and camera effects than creating a decent film. His brother Ridley is a little better, but but films like Kingdom of Heaven and his constant over-handed "preachyness" get annoying.

Have you bothered to see Road to Perdition yet?
This film shows that he could make an intelligent film with in-depth characters and dialogue. Watch the diner scene. It starts at about 3:30 in. Amazing suspense and tension. Note the sweat building on Hank's characters face, notice how he offers him the flask after he realizes he isn't a local, which puts him on edge. Also, that he pulls a flask meant to start conversation and eventually allow an escape route. It is cool how there is much more going on that isn't being said. It sort of allows you to get into this experienced killer's mind. Wait! Bond is one of those!

My 2 cents mate. Your opinion is just as good as mine.

Edited by Gt Munn, 03 December 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#863 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

Wait, hang on. I thought Winslet and Mendes split?

If you read the article, that is commented on and confirmed...

#864 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

More on the Winslet comments and possible casting comments from The Playlist:

http://blogs.indiewi...s_kate_winslet/

Interesting...

#865 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Christopher Nolan is a little busy with the next Batman. He is also Warner Brother's little darling right now. By the way, the snow compound scene at the end of Inception was Bond all the way, and I would love if he did a film. Perhaps all in good time.

I would love Nolan as well. Once he has the next Batman out the way, which he has confirmed will be his last, then maybe he could give Bond 24 a shot. it would be cool if he did 25 and 26, too. It's been a while since we've had the same director in a row.

#866 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

More on the Winslet comments and possible casting comments from The Playlist:

http://blogs.indiewi...s_kate_winslet/

Interesting...

This I think deserves a bit more attention. Winslet's comments are compelling (if true, which I do believe they are), and Mendes IS available after next summer. It all makes sense, though as before I do not believe a new script has been drafted. Say what you will of "EoN always working behind the scenes," I just don't think that's the case.

On the subject of Bond in Afghanistan, I really do not think that would be a good setting. That country is desolate, with the bustling urban center that was Kabul rocked over the last couple of decades by constant shelling, and the city of Mazar i Sharif also playing host to a constantly changing regime between the Taliban and Ahmed Rashid Dostum over the last decade. It would not work. Putting Bond on the Hindu Kush would be interesting, but there's just not enough for him to do there. A PTS involving an assault on a Taliban camp where a hostage is held would be one thing (there really aren't any Taliban camps in the Hindu Kush fyi), but using the country as a major plot device would make no sense, so the comments regarding the possibility of the film taking place there hold no weight.

#867 Doctor Whom

Doctor Whom

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

I would love Nolan as well. Once he has the next Batman out the way, which he has confirmed will be his last, then maybe he could give Bond 24 a shot. it would be cool if he did 25 and 26, too. It's been a while since we've had the same director in a row.

I kind of like different directors for each film, but that's just me. It wasn't a good idea to have John Glen direct every single Bond film of the 1980's. The series got real tired, real fast.

#868 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

I can see what you mean. The main difference though, is that John Glen is a generic director, Nolan has more directing experience and has given us quite a few of the most interesting and intelligent movies in the past 10 years. (Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception) All very strong movies. The only movies John Glen directed that I know of, are For Your Eyes Only, through to Licence To Kill. If Nolan directed a trilogy of Bond films, then I'm sure each one would be different and unique. I'd be all for it.

#869 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

The only movies John Glen directed that I know of, are For Your Eyes Only, through to Licence To Kill.

He directed a few other box office bombs after his Bond tenure like Iron Eagle3 and Christopher Columbus.

#870 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

I've just checked out trailer for both films on youtube. They look absolutely atrocious. :|