This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

'Another Way To Die' or 'No Good About Goodbye'?

124 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one do you choose: 'Another Way To Die' or 'No Good About Goodbye'?

Which one do you choose: 'Another Way To Die' or 'No Good About Goodbye'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

NGAG also sounds too much like YOLT for my tastes.

I'm not sure it does, but if it did, it would hardly be a bad thing. "You Only Live Twice" is the most beautiful and haunting Bond song.

#62 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

And who - of any age - would say that Goldfinger is not a good song? I rest my case.

As I have noted occasionally in the past, Goldfinger makes my ears bleed. Check.

Also I find it interesting that whenever I'm viewing this thread AWTD is ahead by exactly two votes. Every single time, two.

#63 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

24 years old. I actually like AWTD. I think it fits the title sequences really well and it definitely evokes that hard edge that the movie has. I additionally love, YKMN. Ever since I saw that Bond tribute with the YKMN song, I look/listen at this song in a better light.

As for NGAG I love that too. It's a vintage Bond-sounding song, it actually fits the QoS titles, some of the melodies are sprinkled throuought the film, giving it relevence and the lyrics also reflect Bond's feeling of love and loss. People can complain that it's generic Bond music but honestly, had this been the song, more people would have been happy and appreiciated it a lot more.

#64 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

Both "You Know My Name" and "Another Way to Die" have prompted me to rethink the tradition of the theme song for the Daniel Craig era. Craig's take on the character demands a certain style from the films in which he appears, and this should be reflected in the theme songs and soundtracks. Thus, though I very much enjoy "No Good About Goodbye," I have to vote for "Another Way to Die." It's simply the more appropriate theme for a Daniel Craig era film.

I agree with this. IMO, "Another Way to Die" meshes better with "Quantum"'s opening titles than the Bassey tune.

#65 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Some things about 'Another Way To Die'. Are there some real musicians in here? Has anyone actually looked at the sheet music from 'AWTD'? Gosh, it looks boring like hell! Must be written in a hurry! It lacks any creativity. Compare it with sheet music from, let's say 'Surrender', and you know what I mean.

And if we start accusing 'No Good About Goodbye' about being too cliché....'AWTD' actually STOLE a fe melody accords from 'You Know My Name' and infused a great deal of R&B/rap into it. It's a twisted, B)ed up way of being 'original' and Bond doesn't need that.

Furthermore, all I wanted to say is, that Bond 23 should have that vibe that Bassey's song 'No Good About Goodbye' has. Do we agree with that?

#66 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

And who - of any age - would say that Goldfinger is not a good song? I rest my case.

As I have noted occasionally in the past, Goldfinger makes my ears bleed. Check.

Also I find it interesting that whenever I'm viewing this thread AWTD is ahead by exactly two votes. Every single time, two.

At times Goldfinger can be a bit much, but at the same time with Barry's super fine scoring the song/instrumental theme has a nice hook to to it. It makes the film even more memorable. I just wish Arnold gave AWTD more instrumental scoring in the movie. It has a new sound to it and something fresh. More risky is what I want to see in Bond film to shake up the formula.
Daniel Kleinman is an excellent titles designer but bringing in a new guy was a bold and welcome choice.

#67 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Some things about 'Another Way To Die'. Are there some real musicians in here? Has anyone actually looked at the sheet music from 'AWTD'? Gosh, it looks boring like hell! Must be written in a hurry! It lacks any creativity. Compare it with sheet music from, let's say 'Surrender', and you know what I mean.

A song doesn't need complex sheet music to be good. If they were to take away the vocals from AWTD, there's a very good instrumental song left behind that could be turned into a great title track on its own with just a few changes.

#68 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

If you guys are interested to see how it goes with the title sequence...

B)

#69 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

If you guys are interested to see how it goes with the title sequence...

B)

KOOL ! thanks for that, don't know if the bullet sound should be kept but the song seems better with further listening. Arnold is very clever at giving the instrumental Barry feel.

#70 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, I was contemplating whether to put the bullet in or not, but I decided to, since it would have a more 'official feel' to it, if you know what I mean.

#71 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, I was contemplating whether to put the bullet in or not, but I decided to, since it would have a more 'official feel' to it, if you know what I mean.

Agreed! The songs has a nicer feel this way........ thanks for the post.

#72 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

NGAG also sounds too much like YOLT for my tastes.

I'm not sure it does, but if it did, it would hardly be a bad thing. "You Only Live Twice" is the most beautiful and haunting Bond song.

Ha...it's not even close to YOLT.

YOLT was both beautiful and haunting where as No Good is just a lounge songe and is plainly no good for either the movie conceptually or in terms of "fit" with respect to the visuals in the Main Titles (as per the You Tube mix).

AWTD is much more interesting and "fits" better for the Craig outing as well as what you see on screen during the titles.

At least there's congruency between AWTD and the Main Titles.

The You Tube re-working is just a lazy patch using a song which tries to harken back to an era which ain't coming back.

Always Move Forward.

Another Way To Die by a mile.

B)

#73 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

AWTD is much more interesting and "fits" better for the Craig outing as well as what you see on screen during the titles.

I actually think NGAG makes the title sequence better (as I've said before, I find the title sequence painful with AWTD), but to each his own. Of course it doesn't sync perfectly, but let's remember that MK12 said their title sequence wasn't designed for any song in particular, and undoubtedly would have been tailored whatever the final number was selected to be. NGAG does make a few of the moments play a little more effectively, and overall better compliments the theme of isolation that runs throughout.

Now, do I think it would really "fit" in the film itself? Not really. As much as there's a vague retro flavor to much of the film, it never goes for such a strong "We're back in the 1960s" vibe. It's a very contemporary flick, all the throwbacks aside. Neither does a song as retro as NGAG connect with the musical tapestry of the rest of the film. But I don't exactly think AWTD "fits" QUANTUM OF SOLACE, either.

As I've said, I don't think either NGAG or AWTD really fits the bill. But as the lesser of two evils, I'll stick with NGAG.

#74 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Furthermore, all I wanted to say is, that Bond 23 should have that vibe that Bassey's song 'No Good About Goodbye' has. Do we agree with that?

I don't.

#75 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

I don't.

I don't either.

#76 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

I don't.

I don't either.

Motion thirded.

#77 JADSTERSDAD

JADSTERSDAD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

quote]

Sorry, this doesn't cut it. We have to remember that there are many, many reasons why a composer would say what they would say. And the 'truth' will probably never be known. So we have to draw our own conclusions from the end product, and from that fact that those involved are the people they are. Also the 'evidence' that Arnold (or Black, I can't remember) has stated that they submitted a track for consideration. Sure, it may be tailored for Bassey (though Black has said Bassey should sing all Bond songs!) and the arrangement tailored also for the album, but neither is a million miles away from Surrender. And that's NOT a bad thing, trust me!
[/quote]

So what youre saying is ...when the composer of the song and the person who knows what happened says what happened,you decide its not the truth?
Arnold hasnt stated he submitted the track for consideration...only that he had begun work on some ideas...he also stated that MArc Forster had him working on ideas really early this time,so he may have had many ideas, only some of which ended up in the film.
in the past Arnold appears to have been honest about the songs he has submitted ie DAD( I will return),TND(surrender),so why change tack now?
For me, its a Bond style song that reflects shirley basseys past and having heard 'The performance', i think it sits really nicely with the other songs on the record.
also,arnolds other songwriting contributions to basseys album include songs written with both david mcalmont and the manic street preachers,neither of which sound remotely like bond songs.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'll spell it out. To admit this song was submitted is to admit it was passed over for the White effort. Embarassing, to say the least. Plus the producers/studio might thing this is bitching a bit, by the back door. But if you want to get what is a good song released....well, you tell me. What better way. I think his relationship with Madonna was far worse (she would not supply the song for adaptation into the score...am i right?). I think the situation on Quantum was more upfront and DA had to buy into this. So to now be seen to 'moan' wouldn't do him any favours.

I think his only other song on the album was with McAlmont. Do you know different? Apologies, if so.

And doesn't the fact that these other song 'don't sound remotely like bond' pretty much prove MY point?

Other options... maybe he didn't get the chance to submit the song (White was hired before this?) but that doesn't mean the song wasn't completed.

Again, we'll never know. I just know what I choose to believe. And I don't think I'll ever watch Quantum again without playing this track over the titles.

[quote name='Sark2.0' post='1067526' date='15 November 2009 - 21:34'][quote name='Gustav Graves' post='1067461' date='15 November 2009 - 10:24']Furthermore, all I wanted to say is, that Bond 23 should have that vibe that Bassey's song 'No Good About Goodbye' has. Do we agree with that?[/quote]
I don't.
[/quote]

Well I do! In spades!

#78 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

I think....we are rating both songs too much on how it fits in the actual film. Are we really judging the songs then? No! Even worse, 'Another Way To Die' has an advantage here, as it IS actually the official theme song to 'Quantum Of Solace' and as it fits the film. It makes the poll a bit less objective...

But let's rate the SONGS ok? It is evident....that, looking to the poll, half of all forummembers in here are actually looking for a Bond film that IS reflecting the vibe 'No Good About Goodbye' has.

Edited by Gustav Graves, 15 November 2009 - 11:53 PM.

#79 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

I don't.

I don't either.

Motion thirded.

Let me add a fourth vote to this.

#80 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:53 PM

I like both songs, but Another Way to Die gets my vote.

#81 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

I think....we are rating both songs too much on how it fits in the actual film. Are we really judging the songs then? No! Even worse, 'Another Way To Die' has a headstart here, as it IS actually the official theme song to 'Quantum Of Solace' and as it fits the film.

But let's rate the SONGS ok? It is evident....that, looking to the poll, half of all forummembers in here are actually looking for a Bond film that IS reflecting the vibe 'No Good About Goodbye' has.

It is also evident, looking at the poll, that Another Way to Die surpasses No Good About Goodbye by 4 votes. So while certainly a large portion of the population rate NGAG highly, AWTD is rated higher. And in fact it has been rated higher every time I mosey on over this way. Sure, it's not higher by an awful lot, but it is higher. And that right there says something.

#82 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:51 PM

I think....we are rating both songs too much on how it fits in the actual film. Are we really judging the songs then? No! Even worse, 'Another Way To Die' has an advantage here, as it IS actually the official theme song to 'Quantum Of Solace' and as it fits the film. It makes the poll a bit less objective...But let's rate the SONGS ok?

Edited by Gustav Graves, 15 November 2009 - 11:52 PM.

#83 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

PS: I did create a very nice topic in one of the other sections...the big Bond Song Contest, in which all primary Bond songs from all 24 Bond films (unofficial ones included) will be rated:
http://debrief.comma...showtopic=56527

#84 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

I think....we are rating both songs too much on how it fits in the actual film. Are we really judging the songs then? No! Even worse, 'Another Way To Die' has a headstart here, as it IS actually the official theme song to 'Quantum Of Solace' and as it fits the film.

It is also evident, looking at the poll, that Another Way to Die surpasses No Good About Goodbye by 4 votes. So while certainly a large portion of the population rate NGAG highly, AWTD is rated higher. And in fact it has been rated higher every time I mosey on over this way. Sure, it's not higher by an awful lot, but it is higher. And that right there says something.

Yes. I think the idea behind this thread was that "No Good about Goodbye" was going to win this poll but it hasn't quite worked out like that. In fact, it's even more surprising because I would have thought this thread would be more popular with those who dislike AWTD, than those who are fans of the song.

#85 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

Yes. I think the idea behind this thread was that "No Good about Goodbye" was going to win this poll but it hasn't quite worked out like that. In fact, it's even more surprising because I would have thought this thread would be more popular with those who dislike AWTD, than those who are fans of the song.

Agreed, and since it's not winning the poll, those that have voted for AWTD have had their votes discounted because we're supposedly voting for the song because it had the advantage of being the film's actual theme song. B) I cast my vote for AWTD because it's a better song than the rejected song, not because it had an advantage by being the film's official theme.

#86 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

I voted for AWTD because in context I find it meh, and sure it's not a great song, but I do enjoy it when it's played standalone, and I do that a lot more often than you would think. Conversely, on the three occasions I tried to listen to NGAG, I gave up at the same point because it was beginning to get on my nerves. *shrug* But then, I've never been a big fan of any of the Bassey themes. Goldfinger is ear-bleeding, Diamonds Are Forever makes a good occasional listen but generally gets on my nerves about halfway through, and while I think Moonraker is the best of her lot I don't find it overly enjoyable unless I'm feeling a bit tired. And come to think of it never been a big fan of Bassey in general. The other Bassey songs people have linked to round these parts in the past are also just not remotely my cup of tea. A bit interesting, that, because I positively adore the Bassey-esque "Snake Eater".

#87 littlenellie

littlenellie

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:15 AM

[/quote]

So what youre saying is ...when the composer of the song and the person who knows what happened says what happened,you decide its not the truth?
Arnold hasnt stated he submitted the track for consideration...only that he had begun work on some ideas...he also stated that MArc Forster had him working on ideas really early this time,so he may have had many ideas, only some of which ended up in the film.
in the past Arnold appears to have been honest about the songs he has submitted ie DAD( I will return),TND(surrender),so why change tack now?
For me, its a Bond style song that reflects shirley basseys past and having heard 'The performance', i think it sits really nicely with the other songs on the record.
also,arnolds other songwriting contributions to basseys album include songs written with both david mcalmont and the manic street preachers,neither of which sound remotely like bond songs.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'll spell it out. To admit this song was submitted is to admit it was passed over for the White effort. Embarassing, to say the least. Plus the producers/studio might thing this is bitching a bit, by the back door. But if you want to get what is a good song released....well, you tell me. What better way. I think his relationship with Madonna was far worse (she would not supply the song for adaptation into the score...am i right?). I think the situation on Quantum was more upfront and DA had to buy into this. So to now be seen to 'moan' wouldn't do him any favours.

I think his only other song on the album was with McAlmont. Do you know different? Apologies, if so.

And doesn't the fact that these other song 'don't sound remotely like bond' pretty much prove MY point?

Other options... maybe he didn't get the chance to submit the song (White was hired before this?) but that doesn't mean the song wasn't completed.

Again, we'll never know. I just know what I choose to believe. And I don't think I'll ever watch Quantum again without playing this track over the titles.

[/quote]

Ok, let me get this straight....your arguement appears to be along the lines of 'if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle'
Arnold already has said in the past that Surrender was passed over by mgm in favour of sheryl crow,and that his tune for DAD was stopped once Madonna came on board, so why would there be embarrasment over White song winning out in this instance?

And he hasnt moaned about it at all, he appears to have said nothing about the QOS song until everyone decided that NGAG was a song written for QOS and rejected.Something he has denied....but you decide whats the truth based on your rather labyrinthine concepts and conspiracy theories about what actually happened.
Why no theory about the Barry/Black/Bassey song and QOS ? Could that have been a rejected song too ? David arnold produced the song also...which has drawn comparisons with Moonraker and All the Time in the World

#88 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:46 AM

A poll is not...about winning :tdown:. This wasn't my intention. I have created the topic out of curiousity. Nothing more. And look what we get? A nice topic full of passionate forummembers. LOVE IT :tdown:.

But given the reaction of some forummembers, it does indicate that some people want to out-vote the 'NGAG'-voters. I'm not here...to...out-vote people. Bit silly isn't it B)?

#89 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:46 AM

How can anyone out vote anyone? The way the poll system is set up each member is allowed only one vote.

And besides, I'm not too keen having my opinion discounted by you because of this reason or that reason. It's the same exact reason you're QoS review thread was so disliked, you make excuses for why something is popular. AWTD is popular around here. Sure not by everybody, but because of this poll it's very apparent that people enjoy it as a song, I know I do.

#90 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:00 AM

I think Gustav is losing gusto with this thread, and he's decided to back-track before someone calls him out on trying to force his opinions on others.