This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

'Another Way To Die' or 'No Good About Goodbye'?

124 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one do you choose: 'Another Way To Die' or 'No Good About Goodbye'?

Which one do you choose: 'Another Way To Die' or 'No Good About Goodbye'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:44 AM

It's easy. Which one do you choose: 'Another Way To Die' or 'No Good About Goodbye'? My choice:

---> 'AWTD': 0
---> 'NGAG': 1

Now keep continue the poll B)

Edited by Qwerty, 13 November 2009 - 04:56 AM.

#2 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:49 AM

Mine!
'AWTD': 0
'NGAG': 2

B)

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:56 AM

I've made it a little bit easier for you guys [Poll added].

#4 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:00 AM

I added my vote on the poll for NGAG. While I don't think it is a great song, it is far better than that vile AWTD

#5 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:01 AM

I've made it a little bit easier for you guys [Poll added].

Cheers Q! B)

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:29 AM

"Another Way to Die" got my vote.

#7 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

Hm. Both are somewhat forgettable, but while "Another Way to Die" is more than a little irritating and ill-fit to the narrative concerns of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, "No Good About Goodbye" has a measure of elegance, successfully reflects the emotional core of the story, and showcases the lovely vocal talents of Miss Bassey. So "No Good About Goodbye" wins out, even though, ideally, Bond would get a far better title song than either of them.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable mash-up of "No Good About Goodbye" with the QUANTUM OF SOLACE title sequence.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:23 AM

Both are somewhat forgettable, but while "Another Way to Die" is more than a little irritating and ill-fit to the narrative concerns of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, "No Good About Goodbye" has a measure of elegance, successfully reflects the emotional core of the story, and showcases the lovely vocal talents of Miss Bassey. So "No Good About Goodbye" wins out, even though, ideally, Bond would get a far better title song than either of them.

Full agreement.

#9 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

"Another Way to Die" got my vote.

#10 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

"Another Way to Die" trumps "No Good About Goodbye".

I'm still waiting for the inevitable mash-up of "No Good About Goodbye" with the QUANTUM OF SOLACE title sequence.

The Harkster has already done that:

#11 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:54 AM

If we're to try imagine this dire, dated lounge act bilge over the QOS titles can someone at least black Craig out.

Then at least we could imagine Bond as being tall, dark, handsome and mysterious. As he used to be perceived when this type of music was, er, fashionable.

#12 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

AWTD easily, this Bassey thing is ok but it's just generic Bond soundalike, which I suspect some would be quite happy with.

It's not the 60's you know!

#13 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:05 AM

Easy, "No Good About Goodbye"!

#14 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Although I like her music and certainly her three Bond title themes, I prefer Another Way to Die.

#15 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Although I like her music and certainly her three Bond title themes, I prefer Another Way to Die.

#16 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

Oh, that fits very well. Better than imagined. And it makes the title sequence come alive more than "Another Way to Die" does.

AWTD easily, this Bassey thing is ok but it's just generic Bond soundalike, which I suspect some would be quite happy with.

Considering intent, I'm much happier with what AWTD attempts to do. Considering the final result, I'm happier with NGAG. AWTD is pretty terrible.

#17 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

AWTD for me. It's a well produced rock song.

#18 JADSTERSDAD

JADSTERSDAD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

Well... so far... I am genuinely, genuinely shocked. And saddened. How can this be? AWTD is far and away the worst Bond song ever, by a mile, for me.

Thanks for this. As I thought, it actually makes the titles much, much better (though they're still relatively c**p compared to Kleinman's work).

Question.. have the visuals been adjusted to fit the length of the song? If not, then it's a perfect match, timewise. No coincidence, I'm sure.

#19 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

Impressively done and it seemed to fit for me anyway but I still prefer AWTD in my view it's not terrible, flawed but Crowe, Garbage & Madonna were much worse.

#20 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

He has way too much time on his hands B)

I voted for AWTD. The Bassey song as, like someone said, just so generic and forgettable. It's like they were trying their damnedest to make something that fit into a very small box called the 'Bond song.'I'm biased by the fact that I love Jack White's other work.

#21 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

Impressively done and it seemed to fit for me anyway but I still prefer AWTD in my view it's not terrible, flawed but Crowe, Garbage & Madonna were much worse.

I'd take TND, TWINE, and DAD over AWTD, personally. None of those songs sat particularly well with me, but AWTD brought things to a whole new level of sloppiness.

#22 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

I would be curious to the ages of the varied posters and voters. I perceive the younger fans as voting for AWTD, while us "older fans" would vote for NGAG.

At 46, I am one of the older fans and between the two songs--prefer the Bassey one. However, in seeing the way the series has been rebooted, and with Craig as Bond, AWTD fits the mood of the film more.

Kudos for the Bassey song though, very lush, and a great listen.

As to the prior post--DAD, for me is the worst of the songs you mention, althogh the worst in the entire series is that Serra end titles trashy-noise, but that's another thread.

I love forward to hearing more of Bassey's new album.

#23 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

Another Way to Die; it represents something interesting.

#24 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

I'll stick with AWTD. Bassey's song is great and has certainly potential, but in the present form it's not fitting for QOS. It might have been, had Arnold worked on it some more, but that result most probably would have been still quite some wayx down the road and different from NGAG.

#25 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Wow. Shirl really knows how to rock a title sequence. I voted for NGAG. I know all that guff about modern Bond taking a bold new direction and the title song needs to reflect that rather than hark back to distant glories blah blah blah, and I didn't even mind AWTD (certainly I preferred it to that vile pig swill YKMN), but having watched the Harkin version of the titles I'm so keen to hark back to distant glories that I may even go out in a miniskirt I haven't worn since 1996.

#26 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Yes, but much like the film itself, it's only successful in representing something interesting, rather than being something interesting.

Anyway, in my mind this discussion all boils down to this:

Would you rather have a reheated hamburger ("No Good About Goodbye"; generic, not too interesting, but doesn't go down too badly), or an experimental dish that tries for a refreshing and bold combination of flavors but ends up being a complete mess ("Another Way to Die"; interesting in intent, but failed--if not outright irritating--in its finished form)? If I was just going off of the menu, I'd take the latter. But if I was allowed to sample the finished dishes before choosing, I'd go with the former.

#27 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

I would be curious to the ages of the varied posters and voters.
(...)
At 46, I am one of the older fans and between the two songs--prefer the Bassey one.

Age 28 - Bassey.

#28 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

Age 18 - White & Keys.

#29 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

Yes, but much like the film itself, it's only successful in representing something interesting, rather than being something interesting.

Anyway, in my mind this discussion all boils down to this:

Would you rather have a reheated hamburger ("No Good About Goodbye"; generic, not too interesting, but doesn't go down too badly), or an experimental dish that tries for a refreshing and bold combination of flavors but ends up being a complete mess ("Another Way to Die"; interesting in intent, but failed--if not outright irritating--in its finished form)? If I was just going off of the menu, I'd take the latter. But if I was allowed to sample the finished dishes before choosing, I'd go with the former.

Of course, if you don't think that AWTD is complete mess the whole analogy falls apart.

I don't know how much it has to do with age. I would like Winehouse to do the next theme and her sound is very retro.

#30 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:45 PM

Both "You Know My Name" and "Another Way to Die" have prompted me to rethink the tradition of the theme song for the Daniel Craig era. Craig's take on the character demands a certain style from the films in which he appears, and this should be reflected in the theme songs and soundtracks. Thus, though I very much enjoy "No Good About Goodbye," I have to vote for "Another Way to Die." It's simply the more appropriate theme for a Daniel Craig era film.

That being said, there is one thing that's killing me about "No Good About Goodbye." It's very, very important to me that the theme for a James Bond film be echoed or recognizably represented throughout that film's score. The echoes of "No Good About Goodbye" are more obvious in "Quantum of Solace" than "Another Way to Die," and that's a real shame. Without that connection between the score and the theme the film lacks a crucial creative cohesion. Here's hoping that the theme for the next film is written well in advance, allowing David Arnold to appropriately weave its melody throughout the film.

I will also add that I very much want Shirley Bassey to record at least one more Bond theme. She's a fantastic performer, and it's an opportunity they just can't pass up...