This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#781 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'm all for Fassbender playing Bond (he's something of an obvious choice), but even Cavill is more likely to get the gig some time down the road.
I see Craig as the perfect choice for this rebooted version of Bond and would like him to continue as long as possible. By this time Fassbender would probably be too old and let's not forget way too famous. Even at this point, he's far too well known, You might say that Roger and Pierce were well known stars before their Bond tenure, but they were television stars. Fassbender is in EVERY upcoming movie for the next couple of years, which is not helpful when you apply for the role of James Bond.
No complaints from me though, as I probably rank Craig as #2 after Connery.

At this point, while I like Craig, a lot, I think Fassbender could be a serious contender as one of, if not the, best Bond ever; he's a tremendous actor and I really believe could capture Fleming's vision better than anyone.

#782 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

Cavill is probably the favorite, given his age and the producers' confirmed interest in him. Even so, I can't imagine why anyone would look at him and see Bond. He's doe-eyed, open-faced, shallow-nosed, and broad-headed. He's cute and all, but cute like an herbivorous grazing animal. Whatever else they've had going against them in the looks department, all the previous Bonds have looked more predatory than prey-like.

If Fassbender were cast, he'd probably come closest to Fleming's ideal physiognomy of the character. I've never seen him in anything, so I can't comment on his acting, his voice, or his unquantifiables. But just by looks he's perfect. (That alone probably rules him out.)

#783 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

If Fassbender were cast, he'd probably come closest to Fleming's ideal physiognomy of the character. I've never seen him in anything, so I can't comment on his acting, his voice, or his unquantifiables.

Watch X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, then - at the start, Fassbender is a Nazi hunter in the 1960s, and it's all very Bondian.

On a side note, he was a bit like Ewan McGregor in the STAR WARS prequel trilogy. By the end of REVENGE OF THE SITH, you could believe that McGregor would grow to become Alec Guiness. In the same way, you can see how Fassbender in FIRST CLASS will grow to become Ian McKellan in the X-MEN trilogy.

#784 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

Fassbender is almost precisely one Bond cycle behind Craig - both in age and in career trajectory. Each man appeared on the scene in his early twenties, steadily, over the course of a decade, earned a reputation as a distinctive, stylish badass, and graduated to leading roles by his early thirties. Unless Craig remains in the role of Bond for an extraordinarily long time (which is conceivable but improbable), Fassbender will be very well-placed to assume the role.

And it bodes well for his chances that he isn't a pop-cultural "office-holder". Even though he played Magneto, ordinary people don't think of him as the currently serving Magneto. Magneto just isn't that kind of gig. Cavill and Bale are more restricted by their superhero roles, especially with regard to other big, "office"-type roles, of which Bond is the ultimate example. It's hard to imagine any actor, however versatile and popular, playing both Bond and Batman, or both Superman and Bond, or both Dr Who and James T Kirk. Even if he completely abandoned one role before adopting the other, he would be spreading himself dangerously thin. "A mistress cannot serve two masters."

#785 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

At the same time, if Craig stays on for eight films as has been reported, Fassbender might be too old for the role when Bond #7 is needed.

Somehow, I doubt Fassbender will get the role when Craig leaves it - and I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by it, because of their expectations. If Michael Fassbender is not the next James Bond, then whoever take on the role is going to be under incredible pressure. If their first film is not perfect, then a lot of people are going to hold it up as proof positive that Fassbender should have been cast. Unless Fassbender declares that he has no interest in being James Bond.

#786 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

I don't believe that the producers truly intend for Craig to make seven or eight films. They may express the wish, but they aren't committing themselves to anything. It's a way of showing confidence in their star, and not to be taken literally.

Of course it's impossible to know how many films Craig will make, because it will ultimately hang on the mercy of the money gods. But as for how many years Craig will remain in the role, it's a little easier to speculate, since the speculation doesn't have to account for occult financial and industrial matters, but only take note of Craig's physical state, how well he's aging, his relationship with the producers, and his personality.

I certainly don't see him tiring of the role quickly, as Connery did, because he is a professional and not volatile; nor can I easily imagine the producers forcing him out before his time, because they were the ones who championed his cause, whereas they inherited Brosnan from Cubby; on the other hand, I don't see Craig pulling a Moore and staying in the role after he has begun to decline physically, because his approach to the role is so essentially athletic. My prediction is that he won't leave the role before his fiftieth birthday, but he won't make more than one film after his fiftieth birthday. It sounds strange, but I'm firmly convinced of that. By the time he's fifty-two, he'll have left the role. It will be 2020 - a big round number, a shifting of the zeitgeist, and a general election year on both sides of the Atlantic. People will be turning the page in everything, and Craig will share their sentiment.

If Craig proves me right and leaves the role around 2020, what will that mean for Fassbender? He will be 43 by then - older than Craig was in 2005, but still younger than Moore was in 1973. By no means too old to be considered. The real problem is that he might be too big a name by then. I won't be too diappointed if he's passed over. (I can hardly call myself a Fassbender backer, having never seen him act or heard his voice!) Some people will be terribly disappointed no matter what happens. I was in the Clive Owen camp before Craig was announced, and I shivered from that blow for about five minutes. I trusted the producers, and still do. I'm sure they'll choose well.

#787 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

I trusted the producers, and still do. I'm sure they'll choose well.

I don't doubt that you do - but a lot of people don't trust them. We've seen it in action when it comes to the subject of David Arnold. A lot of people have this idea that they know what is best for Bond, and while they certainly have good ideas, they do tend to take it a little personally when EON don't go in the direction that they feel the films should. I saw it just the other day on another forum when someone was fully prepared to write SKYFALL off as a bad film because of the role of M in the story; I managed to get them to admit that they would have actually been very enthusiastic about the idea if the film had been made in the time of Bernard Lee.

So I think things could get quite unpleasant if Fassbender isn't cast in the role (especially if nobody from EON/Fassbender's camp comments straight away on why Fassbender was not cast).

#788 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Why do I think about William Shatner´s famous comment in this context?

#789 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Which quote would that be?

#790 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Which quote would that be?

"Babies have big heads and big eyes, and tiny little bodies with tiny little arms and legs. So did the aliens at Roswell! I rest my case."

William Shatner

And one just for you Captain

"I hate flying, flat out hate its guts."

William Shatner

#791 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

With all due respect, it was "Get a life!"

#792 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

"If you make a fool of yourself, you can do it with dignity, without taking your pants down. And if you do take your pants down, you can still do it with dignity"
He is a wise man

#793 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

Yes, Captain Jim is wise ;)

#794 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

i highly doubt, Fassbender will do Bond. Remember that none of the Bond actors had much of a career befoe Bond. DC had a GOOD career (by his words) and he thought twice about it already. Even if he does only 23 and 24, Fassbender will have a stellar career most likely by then and doesn't need Bond. Bond is really more of a career kick then anything else. If You already have a career, Bond could do more harm then good IMO. I won't shed a tear over him, though...

#795 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

i highly doubt, Fassbender will do Bond. Remember that none of the Bond actors had much of a career befoe Bond. DC had a GOOD career (by his words) and he thought twice about it already. Even if he does only 23 and 24, Fassbender will have a stellar career most likely by then and doesn't need Bond. Bond is really more of a career kick then anything else. If You already have a career, Bond could do more harm then good IMO. I won't shed a tear over him, though...

"None" of the Bond actors? Roger Moore had a very good career pre LIVE AND LET DIE. He was in THE SAINT, IVANHOE, THE PERSUADERS and had a contract with MGM. You don't have that happen if you are wholly unknown and without a career.

And Timothy Dalton had a career too - TV, film and theatre. As did Connery and Pierce Brosnan.

And I would not say the likes of OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH, LAYER CAKE, ENDEARING LOVE, ROAD TO PERDITION, THE MOTHER, TOMB RAIDER and ANGELS IN AMERICA plus a very respectable tally of theatrical projects is the same as not much of a career. Folk tend to think that if an actor is not in a 3D hit every week, then they have no career. The best actors work all the time.

And the Bond producers do not hire their lead actors in order to kick start their careers.

Would Fassbender do Bond? Who knows. But if he doesn't it has nothing to do with what he is doing right now.

#796 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Cavill is probably the favorite, given his age and the producers' confirmed interest in him. Even so, I can't imagine why anyone would look at him and see Bond. He's doe-eyed, open-faced, shallow-nosed, and broad-headed. He's cute and all, but cute like an herbivorous grazing animal. Whatever else they've had going against them in the looks department, all the previous Bonds have looked more predatory than prey-like.

Indeed. If it's a choice between Cavill and Fassbender, put me down for Fassbender. I'm all for Bond actors being markedly different to their predecessors (after all, Moore was no Connery), but Casting Cavill as Bond after Craig would be like hiring Taylor Lautner to replace Stallone as Rambo. There has to be a minimum quantum of masculinity and toughness - the predator, not the prey, as you say.

Still, while I'd take him over Cavill without hesitation, I don't want Fassbender to be Bond. I'm not sure who I do want to be the next 007 - frankly, I don't see any suitable replacements for Craig out there, and I hope he goes on longer than Moore.

#797 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Well said Loomis. My feelings exactly. If there´s a suitable substitute in many years time, I´ll put my money on the table. For now, Craig is Bond.

#798 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

It's actually a bit hard for me at the moment to see anybody else taking over in the near future. Evidently Craig can't (and won't) go on forever. But for the time being he owns the part; maybe even more than some of his predecessors. No small feat, isn't it?

#799 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Quite right. Cent' anni, banzai, and all that. There's always an element of ingratitude about these speculations. And it's hard to believe, considering the hiatus, that Craig has already been in the role for seven years. It feels like he's just starting out.

#800 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

What an original thread.

Such a friendly bunch on here sometimes.

#801 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

"None" of the Bond actors? Roger Moore had a very good career pre LIVE AND LET DIE. He was in THE SAINT, IVANHOE, THE PERSUADERS and had a contract with MGM. You don't have that happen if you are wholly unknown and without a career.

And Timothy Dalton had a career too - TV, film and theatre. As did Connery and Pierce Brosnan.

And I would not say the likes of OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH, LAYER CAKE, ENDEARING LOVE, ROAD TO PERDITION, THE MOTHER, TOMB RAIDER and ANGELS IN AMERICA plus a very respectable tally of theatrical projects is the same as not much of a career. Folk tend to think that if an actor is not in a 3D hit every week, then they have no career. The best actors work all the time.

And the Bond producers do not hire their lead actors in order to kick start their careers.

Would Fassbender do Bond? Who knows. But if he doesn't it has nothing to do with what he is doing right now.

Thanks for an open word, but I stand by my opinion. They were all working actors, but a far cry from the "stardome" they reached with Bond. They were at best "known" in some parts of the world. Nothing wrong with that and like I say, DC considered his career a "good" one pre CR and rightly so. Still, if you are worldfamous already, Bond might be a step back. "Bondactor ***" anybody? Its hard to get away from that.

#802 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Well, Michael Fassbender is not a real star yet.

#803 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for an open word, but I stand by my opinion. They were all working actors, but a far cry from the "stardome" they reached with Bond. They were at best "known" in some parts of the world. Nothing wrong with that and like I say, DC considered his career a "good" one pre CR and rightly so. Still, if you are worldfamous already, Bond might be a step back. "Bondactor ***" anybody? Its hard to get away from that.

But there is a massive difference between "stardom" and "career". Some of the best actors have massive careers but are not famous or "stars".

And being "known" in some parts of the world does not mean that an actor is not massively successful. Ben Wishaw is massively successful, a British star and an actor of great esteem already. Until he was cast in SKYFALL most of the Bond fan fraternity had not even heard of him, seen his films, his stage work, his TV acclaim and general rising up the ranks.

And be careful of phrases like "world famous". There are MANY world famous superstar actors who have not even appeared in an American film. The movie world does not begin and end with what Tom Cruise or Daniel Craig are doing.

#804 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Until he was cast in SKYFALL most of the Bond fan fraternity had not even heard of him, seen his films, his stage work, his TV acclaim and general rising up the ranks.

And the few of us who did know him probably knew him as "the guy who shot Daniel Craig in LAYER CAKE".

#805 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

But there is a massive difference between "stardom" and "career". Some of the best actors have massive careers but are not famous or "stars".

And being "known" in some parts of the world does not mean that an actor is not massively successful. Ben Wishaw is massively successful, a British star and an actor of great esteem already. Until he was cast in SKYFALL most of the Bond fan fraternity had not even heard of him, seen his films, his stage work, his TV acclaim and general rising up the ranks.

And be careful of phrases like "world famous". There are MANY world famous superstar actors who have not even appeared in an American film. The movie world does not begin and end with what Tom Cruise or Daniel Craig are doing.

I think, we have different opinions about stardom and career. I am not saying, that only famous actors have a good career, but certainly I wouldn't consider Ben W massively successful. He is a working actor, yes, but I was talking about actors, who won't become more known being Bond, because they are famous already. And again, I am not saying, being famous is the ultimate goal. Probably it is not for many good actors, but I think, there is no way around the fact, the Bond is a massive career kick for all those, who are in the field of well known and less known and might be the opposite for someone, who is famous already...and no, Fassbender is not a great star yet and I dont care, if he ever becomes one, but surely he has a good chance to be more famous in a few years from now then any of the others...

#806 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Or he could become the next Clive Owen...

#807 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Or he could become the next Clive Owen...

Also possible..

#808 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Ewan Stewart is probably out of the running now.

#809 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

I think, we have different opinions about stardom and career. I am not saying, that only famous actors have a good career, but certainly I wouldn't consider Ben W massively successful. He is a working actor, yes, but I was talking about actors, who won't become more known being Bond, because they are famous already. And again, I am not saying, being famous is the ultimate goal. Probably it is not for many good actors, but I think, there is no way around the fact, the Bond is a massive career kick for all those, who are in the field of well known and less known and might be the opposite for someone, who is famous already...and no, Fassbender is not a great star yet and I dont care, if he ever becomes one, but surely he has a good chance to be more famous in a few years from now then any of the others...

Ben Wishaw is massively successful (PERFUME, BRIDESHEAD REVISITED, HAMLET, THE HOURS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, THE TEMPEST, COCK, BRIGHT STAR). If the likes of Jane Campion, Abi Morgan, Trevor Nunn, Sam Mendes, Todd Haynes, Stephen Woolley are casting him as their leads, then stardom and internet coverage does not come into it.

Yes, we do have very different opinions to career and stardom. Basically the latter is not why most actors who are any good want to ever become actors.

I will stand by the opinion that the actors who have taken the Bond baton have not done it to gain a "massive career kick". Sorry (and no offence meant) but that is naive. As is even remotely suggesting that Daniel Craig was not well known pre-Bond. He was. Very much so.

And if Michael Fassbender is not a real star right now then I don't know who is.

#810 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

I wouldn't say Fassbender's a star. Not in the sense that everybody knows who he is, anyway. I don't think Daniel Craig is, either.

Of all the Bond actors, I'd say that only Connery and Moore are household names.