169 replies to this topic

#31 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:00 AM

Semi-unrelated note, how does everyone pronounce Risico? Personally I say risīkoh

#32 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

Semi-unrelated note, how does everyone pronounce Risico? Personally I say risīkoh

I've always thought it was pronounced that way. I believe Mickey G pronounced it Re see- ko. He also pronounced Solace with the long O.

Risico would be a cool title, IMO.

#33 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

Been there, done that.
Next!

umm when?

I was referring to drugs and Afghanistan.

You've done drugs? B)

Actually that would explain quite a lot.....

#34 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:21 AM

Been there, done that.
Next!

umm when?

I was referring to drugs and Afghanistan.

You've done drugs? :tdown:

Actually that would explain quite a lot.....

Ahh but did he do Afghanistan? B)

#35 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

Good news! Tough I'm still waiuting he comes to my country B) (Actually, he went to the Iguazu Falls between Brazil and Argentina)

#36 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

While the middle east drug trade is an obvious choice for obvious real world events, it's not always about where the action is, it's about where the action is initiated.

There's two types of spies - Analysts and field men.

First rule - Follow the money.

The hard deals these days are being done off shore in the US and chiefly out of either Lisbon or Geneva as well as Dubai. Plenty of corporate fronts and interests in Dubai.

Notice we haven't had much in the news about Somali pirates as of late? Rumour has it that a bank in Zurich got the "big squeeze" put on them by way of some US intel.

"Sorry lads, won't be cutting you a check this month. Go back to killing people in your own country."

Drugs, diamonds and gold rule the barter system in the bad guys worlds. The implementation of those can then extend to natural resourses. A large part (for me anyway) of why I enjoyed QoS.

I suspect that the middle east will be a go between locale with little to do with the overall story.

Arms and nukes are just a leverage tactic anyway.

#37 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

I was thinking that as well. Probably end up like Austria in QoS or Afghanistan in TLD. We may be there for a fair bit, but we won't spend the whole of the movie there.

#38 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:00 AM

I was thinking that as well. Probably end up like Austria in QoS or Afghanistan in TLD. We may be there for a fair bit, but we won't spend the whole of the movie there.

Indeed good sir. B)

#39 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

Thinking about it, a topic I'd like (if thats the right word) to see tackled is people smuggling, rather than drug smuggling.
I suppose that'd be dangerously close to taking Bond out of the world of sexy urbane escapism and into something resembling reality (and we all know what a bitch reality is) but theres huge storytelling potential there.

#40 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

While the middle east drug trade is an obvious choice for obvious real world events, it's not always about where the action is, it's about where the action is initiated.

The hard deals these days are being done off shore in the US and chiefly out of either Lisbon or Geneva as well as Dubai. Plenty of corporate fronts and interests in Dubai.

Notice we haven't had much in the news about Somali pirates as of late? Rumour has it that a bank in Zurich got the "big squeeze" put on them by way of some US intel.

"Sorry lads, won't be cutting you a check this month. Go back to killing people in your own country."

Drugs, diamonds and gold rule the barter system in the bad guys worlds. The implementation of those can then extend to natural resourses. A large part (for me anyway) of why I enjoyed QoS.

I suspect that the middle east will be a go between locale with little to do with the overall story.

You are a wise sage indeed.

#41 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

Thinking about it, a topic I'd like (if thats the right word) to see tackled is people smuggling, rather than drug smuggling.
I suppose that'd be dangerously close to taking Bond out of the world of sexy urbane escapism and into something resembling reality (and we all know what a bitch reality is) but theres huge storytelling potential there.

Henry Morgan's gold deposits perhaps?

#42 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:09 AM

Bond in Afghanistan... I don't know, I don't really buy it! It's kind of too linked to some painful, unglamorous everyday news. Plus, it's not a place for a Bond-like spy.
EON doing research about the Afghan drug trade doesn't mean that the film will be actually set in Afghanistan, the trade may be part of the plot without Bond being sent there.

Something straight off the top of my head: Quantum is an organisation not unlike the one that supposedly exists within the pages of the Gemstone File, a shadowy conglomerate of businesspeople led by Aristotle Onassis that built the United States' position as a superpower on the back of the illegal drug trade.

In Afghanistan, smugglers are having a hard time getting their merchandise out of the country. To the south, the Americans are makin things hard, and the Chinese are doing something similar out to the east. And there's nothing in particular out west, so the only way to go is north, up into Russia.

But there's a problem: Tajikistan's only claim to fame is that they are ranked third in the world in terms of the number of drug shipments they seize. Quantum plot to assassinate the President of Tajikistan and install their own man in place, thus allowing the drug trade to flow and making them millions.

#43 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:11 AM

Eh?

Sorry, I don't mean "people who smuggle stuff" I mean people smuggling. The smuggling of people across international borders for all sorts of 'orrible reasons.

#44 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:13 AM

Hey, who would suspect a Bond fan of actually being a real spy? B)

As to this notion of "human trade" mentioned, I could see it as an element, but it does go into a very real and dark territory. Let's just say the slave trade never went away and is a very scary reality in the far east i.e. China and Nepal not to mention the Czech countries.

#45 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:14 AM

Eh?

Sorry, I don't mean "people who smuggle stuff" I mean people smuggling. The smuggling of people across international borders for all sorts of 'orrible reasons.

Yes people trafficking sounds very relevant and something I thought of awhile back (in my mind not on here).
I agree with you on your points. B)
'orrible reality, ain't it? :tdown:

Hey, who would suspect a Bond fan of actually being a real spy? :tdown:

As to this notion of "human trade" mentioned, I could see it as an element, but it does go into a very real and dark territory. Let's just say the slave trade never went away and is a very scary reality in the far east i.e. China and Nepal not to mention the Czech countries.

Yes. Dark territory indeed. Slavery will never end. :)

On another note: Is the Russian Mail Order bride thing underneath this umbrella? Would you know the "scoop" on that Bryce?

#46 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:17 AM

Eh?

Sorry, misread ya there. Human trafficking would be an interesting plot element as well *nod*

#47 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:23 AM

On another note: Is the Russian Mail Order bride thing underneath this umbrella? Would you know the "scoop" on that Bryce?

Perhaps you better just PM me if you want to discuss this topic further.

Now kids, let's get back to other thoughts on this news and B23. B)

#48 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:25 AM

Perhaps you better just PM me if you want to discuss this topic further.

Now kids, let's get back to other thoughts on this news and B23. B)

Spoilsport.. :tdown:

(but I will PM you.. :tdown: )..

Yes back to human trafficking....this could have legs.

#49 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:44 AM

*jots down in notebook labeled " For Future Reference" *

Not sure what to make of this story, it would be nice to see Bond back in the Middle East, especially Craig's Bond. Trying to keep an open mind about this one.

#50 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:52 AM

YES!!!

<ahem>

That would be cool, yeah.

#51 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

I like the idea for Bond back in the Middle East.

Hope we start hearing some official news soon!!

#52 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:15 AM

YES!!!

<ahem>

That would be cool, yeah.

Haha, someone else loves Live & Let Die, eh?

#53 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:49 AM

I am wondering now if Bond is going to Siberia as well to investigate Gregor Karikoff and Moshi Sarov, the Quantum agents at Tosca.

#54 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:52 AM

I am wondering now if Bond is going to Siberia as well to investigate Gregor Karikoff and Moshi Sarov, the Quantum agents at Tosca.

From what I've read (also from Craig's mouth) B23 isn't a continuation, wouldnt that count as one?

#55 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:55 AM

From what I've read (also from Craig's mouth) B23 isn't a continuation, wouldnt that count as one?

Oh, I didn't know that, thank you for the heads up B)

#56 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

Oh, I didn't know that, thank you for the heads up :tdown:

I didn't mean that sarcastically at all btw, just from what I've read, so any characters brought forward from QoS would count as a continuation right?

Here:
http://www.aceshowbi...w/00020445.html
:tdown:
Article dated: December 09, 2008

The next James Bond movie won't be a continuation of "Quantum of Solace" or so claimed two-time Bond depicter, Daniel Craig. Addressing the future of James Bond movie, Craig slammed down the speculation that "Bond 23" would be part of a trilogy. "No B)ing way," he said to Collider at "Defiance" press day. "I'm done with that story. I want to lie on a beach for the first half an hour of the next movie drinking a cocktail."

Explaining further, the 40-year-old actor insisted, "We've finished this story as far as I'm concerned. We've got a great set of bad guys. There is an organization that we can use whenever we want to. The relationship between Bond and M is secure and Felix is secure." He then added on where he would like to see the franchise is moving on, stating, "Let's try and find where Moneypenny came from and where Q comes from. Let's do all that and have some fun with it."

Asked about what he knows on the plan for the next Bond movie, the "The Golden Compass" actor said, "We don't know when we're going to do the next Bond. Nobody's thinking about it at the moment. We're giving it a rest for the moment."

#57 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:03 AM

I would love to see Bond 23 called Risico.

That would be good.

Yep. I'm game for that too.

#58 right idea, wrong pussy

right idea, wrong pussy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:29 AM

Hey, who would suspect a Bond fan of actually being a real spy? :tdown:

There's more than one Czech country? B)

#59 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

I would love to see Bond 23 called Risico.

That would be good.

Yep. I'm game for that too.

Me too honestly B)

#60 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:51 AM

Either "Risico" or "Property of a Lady," personally.

It would be an interesting idea, sending Bond to Afghanistan. It would only solidify the "realism" and bringing in the real world to Bond.