#91 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

Hullo everyone out their.

I am Hannah and I am standing in for Harry Fawkes (what you all know is not his real name so why use such a name).

Anyway, he is not going to be posting any work this week-end. He is going to be in the excersise phase of his 'holiday'.

He theirfore appologises for any inconveniences and assures you all that Midas Gold will return though with a bang (I can't believe I'm writing this).

Yours truly

Hannah

P.S Anybody nottice he's raving mad???? B) :tdown:

All Bond fans are, I must say (Who else would do my washing for the rest of the month for simply typing this stuff out for him :tdown: :) )

Oh, yes, dear Roger forget his password when he went to England so he sends everything by post. (Bond at his best)

He's going to kill me for this :) :S

#92 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

Well, happy holidays then!

#93 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

Harry,

I haven't had yet the time to appropriately savour your work. Yet. But I have to confess that your latest entry made me have a peek right in the middle of your story (which I generally avoid, to appreciate any work relatively unspoilt). Now, what can I say?

Perhaps 'Gut-wrenching!!!'

(No pun intended, in neither direction! This is truly a compliment and all readers will get the point of it no later than at the end of Chapter 6.)

Thank you, Trident. Mind you, writing the above mentioned chapter was 'mind-wrenching' too believe me.

Oh, for want of a sane mind B)

I hope maybe one day you'll be able to read the full story.

As for you JIM, thank you for voting it TBTCE. I couldn't stop laughing when I read your post. A real morale lift at a time of unfortunate despair on my behalf. Thanks.

And now for the embarrassment called Hannah: My dear, you are fired and you can do yer own washing :tdown: ! never trust a writer.

Well, I'm back in hot and stuffy Malta and it feels good. Need a couple of days leave mind which I will be taking sometime next week. But enough of me and more of our suave, secret agent:

COMING SOON

CHAPTER 7

YSABELLE

See you then gentle readers mine :tdown:

Best regards
Harry Fawkes

#94 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

Finally read Chapter 6 and I don't feel so good right now! B)

Looking forward to the next installment, Harry. I did enjoy the step away from Bond's story for the back-story on the villain so we know better what Bond is dealing with. Very Fleming-esque indeed.

#95 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

TOMORROW

THE

MOST

VITAL

CHAPTER

OF

MIDASGOLD

BE WARNED THOUGH

BE
VERY
WARNED

NUF SAID'

H A R R Y F A W K E S

#96 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

THE PACE AND THE ACTION IS FURIOUS

AN EXTRAORDINARY TALE OF HIGH ACTION AND ADVENTURE

WHERE NOBODY IS QUITE WHAT THEY SEEM

EXTREMELY INGENIOUS AND WHEN IT COMES TO THE KILLING, HARRY FAWKES MAKES SEBASTIAN FAULKS SEEM AN AMATEUR

JAMES BOND, IAN FLEMING'S MASTERSPY, HAS NEVER BEEN BETTER

Well, there you go, chapter 7 posted away. Wow, believe me, I really need to catch my breath!

You will be left, to say the least, thunderstruck.

I also believe that some of you will want to hang me after reading it.

Is all I can say is that the best is yet to come. You have my word!

I have been faithful to my gentle readers for seven continuous chapters and I have posted at a regular pace and with not much of an interval between one chapter and the other but, and there is always a but in life, the time has come for me to take a little break now...

But remember, I promise you, you haven't seen anything yet!

JAMES BOND

WILL BE BACK
IN HIS
DEADLIEST ASSIGNMENT

EVER

H A R R Y F A W K E S'
M I D A S G O L D

#97 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

New addition up now.

#98 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

Chapter 8

Reflections
on the
'Midnight Gold'

COO7MING SOO7N

#99 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

New addition up now.

Blimey.

Cliffhanger and a half there.

#100 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

Great, no way I can get to it until at least tomorrow evening!

#101 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:36 AM

Good job of pulling in a little-known "fact", Harry. Makes for an excellent cliff-hanger!

#102 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

A cool, solid wind that came all the way from Jordan and Israel squalled out across the canal, driving the waves into whitecaps and bringing within it the fragrant and undeniably welcoming scent of land. The moon was full that night, casting a powerful crimson glow over the shoreline and on the black water itself.
He moved to the railing, standing there silent on the portside of the 15,000 tonne freighter ‘Midnight Gold’, gazing out at the marvel of it all; the pale outline of the arid coast of Ismaïlia faintly discernible beyond the darkness.
For almost eight months he had pretended to be one of them, a member of the Brotherhood, he reflected with satisfaction as he rolled up a cigarette. He had lived their life, ate their food, slept in their beds and on their floors, made hard and exotic love to their gaishou, partied outrageously with them in the nightclubs of Rome, took their drugs even; but most significantly though, James Suzuki succeeded in getting in on their crimes, their dealings, their clients, their sellers - placing himself strategically deeper and deeper inside the pipeline - to end up here and now...

HARRY'S BACK

...To drive you crazy B)

xxxxxx

#103 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Some thoughts on Chapter Five. Perhaps more an essay than a review (and for that, and the pretentiousness of all this, I apologize).

There's something about the menace of cold steel. Other forms of combat are more lethal, but there's both a threat and an art to battle with that glinting metal edge that holds our attention. There's the "up close and personal" aspect that allows us to see the opponent, smell him, feel the hot breath on our skin, and feel his strength that makes this form of combat fascinating. Whether it's Errol Flynn or Pierce Brosnan, combat with the sword, glittering blades flashing, has a special appeal that quickens the blood. Then there's the art. Not only the balletic quality of the combat itself, but the mannerliness that surrounds it. Whether it's a bow to the enemy (as in the film of TMWTGG), or the formal acknowledgment that the contest is about to begin (your own use of "Dozo Yoroshiku"), the combatants realize that there's a formalism to what they're doing that separates the contest, however intense, from a mere brawl.

These were some of the thoughts I had while reading the duel scene from "Midas Gold." Now, Bond cheats rather a lot by using a "flash bang," but your duel scene is exciting in its pace and brutal in its execution. There are some Fleming touches, too, like using an opponent's physical characteristics to give him an identity ("Crooked Teeth") and having Bond reflect on what's happened while looking in a mirror ("it was another man's face that looked back at him").

I'll add more later, but this was an aspect of "Midas Gold" that I particularly wanted to comment on.

Good going, Harry.

#104 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Some thoughts on Chapter Five. Perhaps more an essay than a review (and for that, and the pretentiousness of all this, I apologize).

There's something about the menace of cold steel. Other forms of combat are more lethal, but there's both a threat and an art to battle with that glinting metal edge that holds our attention. There's the "up close and personal" aspect that allows us to see the opponent, smell him, feel the hot breath on our skin, and feel his strength that makes this form of combat fascinating. Whether it's Errol Flynn or Pierce Brosnan, combat with the sword, glittering blades flashing, has a special appeal that quickens the blood. Then there's the art. Not only the balletic quality of the combat itself, but the mannerliness that surrounds it. Whether it's a bow to the enemy (as in the film of TMWTGG), or the formal acknowledgment that the contest is about to begin (your own use of "Dozo Yoroshiku"), the combatants realize that there's a formalism to what they're doing that separates the contest, however intense, from a mere brawl.

These were some of the thoughts I had while reading the duel scene from "Midas Gold." Now, Bond cheats rather a lot by using a "flash bang," but your duel scene is exciting in its pace and brutal in its execution. There are some Fleming touches, too, like using an opponent's physical characteristics to give him an identity ("Crooked Teeth") and having Bond reflect on what's happened while looking in a mirror ("it was another man's face that looked back at him").

I'll add more later, but this was an aspect of "Midas Gold" that I particularly wanted to comment on.

Good going, Harry.

Thanks Major Tallon for this great review. I just hope my luck doesn't run out B) .

TEASER TEASER TEASER

‘...Increased operations by our Customs officials, police and the Serious Organised Crime agency has not had any really significant effects in disrupting the UK drug market so far. In fact, it remains one of the most lucrative in the world, with the trade worth a hefty £5.3bn – a third of the size of the country's tobacco market and 41 per cent of the alcohol market, and all this despite the vast sums the goverment has spent on attempts to limit the damn supply.’

‘Worrying statistics,’ he had said.

The Major nodded.

‘It gets worse,’ he told him. ‘Despite any significant drug and asset seizures and drug-related convictions in recent years, the drug market has proven to be extremely resilient. The people behind the trade are highly fluid and adapt effectively to government and law enforcement interventions, with half of their trade concentrating on two of the most addictive and destructive drugs: crack cocaine and heroin. Don’t get me wrong, we’re doing our best out there, James, but we’re only picking up ten to fifteen percent of everything that’s smuggled in, and that’s if we’re bloody lucky...

COMING SOON

#105 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

‘...Exactly. It’ll be dangerous, to say the least, but once it is made it’ll only be a question of getting oneself deeper into the circle.’
‘You make it sound rather easy, Major.’
‘Which it bloody well isn’t. God only knows what could go wrong. If they ever found out there’s an undercover agent amongst them you’ll be tortured and no doubt shot. You’ll be completely alone appart from your controler and one of the worst things about it all if you’re succesful in penetrating the circle, is the loneliness you’ll face; the isolation. You won’t be working as part of a team and if it drags out there may come a time when you might just want to tell someone who you really are, about yourself that is. Believe me it has happened to the best of them, no doubt even to your father. Having said that, we’re pretty confident that you, James, are up to the job. There’s so much in your file that proves that but, and there’s a big bloody but, that was training, not the real thing so you’ve got to face the worst case scenario if you accept this type of job. It’s the bastard of a world I’d be sending you out to, but I’ve no choice unfortunately. We need to establish what the hell this ‘Gold’ is and who the main supplier is, not to mention if it’s true that the stuff is undetectable. The Italian controller is a man called Roberto Grazianizi. We’ve worked with him before and he’s the best they’ve got, a very thorough man who leaves nothing to chance. I know this is a lot to ask of you, but...’
‘I’ll do it.’ James cut in and that was that. His life as an MI5 undercover agent began...
Here and now, he thought.
How long ago was that meeting?
Nine months?
Ten?
He’d lost count..

T OO7 M OO7 R R OO7 W

#106 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

P A R T

Hell is forever Vacant

The most dangerous game James Bond has ever played is about to begin

#107 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

At the outset, the Major assigned him field duties limited to trailing a number of Foreign Military Attachés round the country, from one boring commerce forum to another; and then to buying punchy drinks for potential Muslim and Irish informers or suspected terrorists in some London seedy pub or nightclub, trying to get something, anything, out of them that could be classed and measured as a potential national security breach...
Lightweight stuff for beginners. But then came this job; a bolt from the blue and indeed very welcoming. Well, at least it had seemed so at the time, he reflected as his mind drifted back to that fateful day...

POSTED

LET THE ADVENTURE RESUME

#108 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

COMING SOON

CHAPTER

THE
DIRTY WAR

YOU
WILL
BE
SHOCKED

#109 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Blimey.

All sounds rather tremendous.

#110 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:01 AM

New addition up now.

#111 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

...And now, Mr Bond, I think you should also be made aware that your son is also on the Midnight Gold.’

He sat there as if turned to stone, not fully understanding what she meant.

‘What are you talking about, Ysabelle?’ he said after a moment.

‘The British MI5 agent, the man I love, Mr Bond, is your son: James Suzuki.’

And with that, he felt a lump forming at his throat.

James Bond then felt cold; dreadfully cold and if he’d been asked to describe such a feeling, he probably would have done so by explaining that it felt as though all his raw energy had been drained out of him in one single moment; as if something uncanny had absorbed his very life force...

He shivered suddenly as if somewhere, someone had just stepped over his grave.

‘Are you all right, James?’ Ysabelle asked, sensing the sudden change inside him.

Bond merely looked at her, not knowing what to say, his face a deathly pale.
It was a long moment before he spoke, and when he finally did - his voice was coarse.

‘Why the hell wasn’t I informed?’ he spat. ‘Why didn’t Grazianizi tell me that my son was involved in this bloody mess?’

‘He probably didn’t know he was your son,’ she told him calmly.

It was Bond’s turn to get up and walk over to the window.

‘But my boss knew,’ he said quietly. ‘Of that I’m sure. The all knowing ‘M’. There’s no way on earth the bastard couldn’t have known.’

‘Then he must have decided to keep you on a need to know basis on this. Bear in mind that James is a deep cover agent who just happens to be your son.’

Bond looked back at her and his eyes were burning slits.

She helped herself to another one of his cigarettes and Bond looked back out of the window and instead of his own reflection in the glass is all he could see was James’ face looking back at him...

H A R R Y F A W K E S
M I D A S G O L D

For those of you who thought JS was killed off in RAYMOND BENSON'S BLAST FROM THE PAST, is all I can say is this: ALL WILL BE EXPLAINED in this chapter... RM/HF

SEE YOU SOON GENTLE READER MINE

#112 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

Chapter 9 posted and awaiting mod approval

What?! No more spoilers?

Nah, mate. Not this chapter. You'll have to read it to find out what happens.

Things seem to be heating up in the thrilling world of Harry Fawkes and perhaps this time our man Bond will be made to reach a turning point in his carreer.

My ultimate objective in this Fan Fic novel is to take Bond places where he doesn't usualy go - and I'm not talking about exotic countries here!

So what can I expect to find in Chapter 9?

Revelations and damning!

That's what.

Yours truly

Harry Fawkes

#113 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

CHAPTER

NO MEAN SPY

COMING SOON

PREPARE

TO

BITE

YOUR

BLOODY

NAILS

READER

H A R R Y F A W K E S

#114 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:56 AM

New addition up now.

#115 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

COMING SOON

...He calmly took a pull on his cigarette and blew out a long stream of grey smoke.
‘Girl dear, who ever said anything about the law?’ he told her. ‘I’m going to assassinate the bastard and blow his shipment of drugs up to kingdom come. Why else did you think the British sent a man like me over?’
James Bond sat back then, a slight cruel smile on his face and enjoyed his cigarette...[/size]

H A R R Y F A W K E S
M I D A S G O L D

#116 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:46 PM

Hmmm, didn't care for the way that chapter ended!

#117 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

And the worst, in terms of what happens to Ian Fleming's superspy James Bond, is yet to come.
Just wait till you read
NO MEAN SPY.

I have always dreamt of how the very last Bond novel would end.
Imagine the last of the Bond films, the last of the book series.
How would they end it?
Would they kill Bond off or not?
How would the last page read?
How would I, the reader, feel?

I'll let you, gentle reader, in on a secret:
I am pretending to be the author commisioned by the Ian Fleming Foundation to write the very last James Bond novel!

Exciting?

Well, for me it is.

They always did say I'm mad as a hatter and by Odin's eye they were sure as right as right could be

So expect the worst.

By Harry Fawkes standards

#118 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:21 PM

NO MEAN SPY

Coming Soon

#119 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

Some thoughts on Chapter Six:

From the moment we read the title, we know this chapter's going to be distinctive. Yes, we've been introduced to evil organizations, their masterminds, and their headquarters before, but we know there's going to be some brutal nastiness awaiting us in this chapter, and it keeps us from viewing this as simply another setup.

But, while we're waiting, something almost unexpected happens. The character of Nokamuro becomes a multi-dimensional character. In many ways, this is your most carefully written chapter. Were you aware of that while you were writing it? I was struck by how much work you put into giving us Nokamuro's background. You were making him come alive, and the effort shows.

Sure, we knew something, well, unusual was in store, and, sure enough, it arrived. But along the way, something very readable, dare I say compelling, was taking place. We were getting a character we can believe in. It'll be a pleasure to see Bond take him on.

Very nice, Harry.

#120 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

No Mean Spy

...James Bond woke up at one in the afternoon and his mouth was terribly dry with too many cigarettes the night before. He lifted himself out of the uncomfortable armchair and went into the bathroom to take a cold shower. Fifteen refreshing minutes later, he gargled with a sharp mouthwash and then lathered soap around his cruel jaw-line in front of the mirror, jutting his chin out, his deep blue eyes rather fatigued as his fingers pulled the skin taut across his cheekbone for the blade; that damnable boyish black comma of hair ever present above his right eye.
The night had passed slowly for him, he reflected. Slowly and uncertainly among too many questions screaming out for answers inside his head...

COMING SOON