191 replies to this topic

#61 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

Big one today. Extract and a revised cover.

Unfortunately, Penguin alerted me to this on their way out the door for the weekend, so I couldn't score a high res image of the new cover nor confirm whether they've officially changed to the title to just The Young Bond Dossier (dropping "Danger Society"). Have that next week.

#62 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

Interesting update on the title. Dropping Danger Society from the title is probably a good idea.

Thanks for the update zen.

#63 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

Brilliant extract! Shame they might be dropping Danger Society! It's such an important part of his early years, so it's cool to have it on the title.

#64 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

I like the idea of dropping Danger Society, if that is indeed what they are doing. "The Young Bond Dossier" is a natural title. It's what people call it anyway. And it ties-in better historically with Amis' "The James Bond Dossier".

#65 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:23 PM

I like the idea of dropping Danger Society, if that is indeed what they are doing. "The Young Bond Dossier" is a natural title. It's what people call it anyway. And it ties-in better historically with Amis' "The James Bond Dossier".

Dam it! Good points!...........my mind is now changed! how fickle I can be B)

#66 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

I think "Danger Society" distracts potential readers. I don't think it does anything to help the title. As you said, The Young Bond Dossier is a natural title. Anything else just feels tacked on unnecessarily.

#67 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

Love the inside layout. It's clear this isn't just a cash-in book and that a lot of work has gone into it.

#68 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:40 AM

I'd almost forgotten about this book.

It's looks really good inside. Hopefully they have removed the 'Danger Society' part, it's not neccesary. The Young Bond Dossier is simply what it is.

I'm interested in what 'The Future' chapter is all about.

#69 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:12 AM

The Bentley dash put me over the edge. I must have this!

#70 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

The Bentley dash put me over the edge. I must have this!

Definitely not something I was expecting. B)

#71 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

That extract is pretty impressive. Definitely a lot of work went into the book if it is anything to go by.

While I like Danger Society as a title, I agree that it is superfluous in this case and that everyone will call the book The Young Bond Dossier anyway. As a result, the Danger Society part should probably be scrapped.

By the way zencat, any word about The Young Bond Dossier also being released in the U.S.--presumably sometime after the release of By Royal Command? Or is this edition it?

#72 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

Indeed the Bentley reference is very nice. And what do you think of the drawing of Ugo Carnifex? He was one of my favorite YB Villains. Good likeness to the sketch in my head. B)

This is my 500th post! :tdown:

*Pops cork and fills everyones glass*

#73 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

Splendid extract, I'm really looking forward to this! Seems the Young Bond Dossier will be a major source of information for the army of fans!

One minor nitpick: I didn't like the Beretta 92 illustration as this gun is an entirely different and far too modern design. Zoltan's gun must have been one of these models and I would prefer an illustration of a classic gun to the modern version. Also I think the text could use a final proof reading to erase a few typos. Otherwise, it promises to be a grat reference book on Young Bond.

#74 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

Intresting point Trident, they better let you have a proof read. I would not have known that in a million years!

#75 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

Intresting point Trident, they better let you have a proof read. I would not have known that in a million years!

LOL!

No, I think they'd be perfectly able to get that right themselves. I suppose the whole point of these illustrations is more about 'style' than about precision. And the 92 model is both familiar (you can see it a few hundred times every day on countless TV shows) and stylish in a certain sense, while the classic models look considerably dated and almost 'antique'.

It's also fairly obvious for anybody familiar with the model that it can't be the one Zoltan refers to as

'She is small and has no great stopping power, but I like her.
She suits me; she is fast and reliable and I can hide her easily.'

The (correct) specifics given in the illustration show that this gun is neither small (over 21 centimetre length, almost a whole kilogram with empty magazine, well over a kilogram loaded) nor hasn't got much stopping power (9mm Para NATO standard cartridge in a double-stack 15 shot magazine; if you ever encounter anything forcing you to need more than a single backup magazine it's most likely because you're dead already). It's a fully grown regular service sidearm, a chunky piece of metal that you can easily use to clobber an adversary with if you run out of ammunition. It's not hidden easily and was never designed to be.

#76 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

It's also fairly obvious for anybody familiar with the model that it can't be the one Zoltan refers to as

'She is small and has no great stopping power, but I like her.
She suits me; she is fast and reliable and I can hide her easily.'

The (correct) specifics given in the illustration show that this gun is neither small (over 21 centimetre length, almost a whole kilogram with empty magazine, well over a kilogram loaded) nor hasn't got much stopping power (9mm Para NATO standard cartridge in a double-stack 15 shot magazine; if you ever encounter anything forcing you to need more than a single backup magazine it's most likely because you're dead already). It's a fully grown regular service sidearm, a chunky piece of metal that you can easily use to clobber an adversary with if you run out of ammunition. It's not hidden easily and was never designed to be.

B) Interesting observation - and (if you know your facts) blatantly obvious.

From the description, it sounds a lot like a 1915 or 1915/19 model. Other options would be the 1923 or the 1931 model, but with weight of 880g and 700g, they're both a bit on the heavy side.

Maybe people should just ask Higson about it?

'This damn Beretta again...' :tdown:

#77 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

By the way zencat, any word about The Young Bond Dossier also being released in the U.S.--presumably sometime after the release of By Royal Command? Or is this edition it?

I know Disney wants to publish this in the US, but I don't have a date or details.

#78 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

Maybe people should just ask Higson about it?

'This damn Beretta again...' B)

If I interview Charlie again for this book, I will. (If I remember.)

#79 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

I know Disney wants to publish this in the US, but I don't have a date or details.

Thanks zencat.

#80 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

Big one today. Extract and a revised cover.

Unfortunately, Penguin alerted me to this on their way out the door for the weekend, so I couldn't score a high res image of the new cover nor confirm whether they've officially changed to the title to just The Young Bond Dossier (dropping "Danger Society"). Have that next week.

Whoops! Hold the phone. Heard back from Puffin and the art they posted was a mistake. (Guess the book was called The Young Bond Dossier at one point.) Danger Society is the correct art and title. Amending my article. CBn might want to do the same. Sorry about that.

#81 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Like I said, Always liked the Danger Society bit of the title B)

#82 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

They could have done without it, but it doesn't really matter I suppose.

#83 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

I just got an advance copy of the book. Haven't read any of it yet, but paging through, it looks spectacular! B)

#84 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:33 AM

zencat, you tease!

#85 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

Do you think we all get more excited here than the kids to whom the books were aimed at? B)

How much longer have us normal people got to wait for it to be released? Any news on signed copies Zencat?

#86 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

No news yet on signed copies. Release date is Oct 29.

BTW, the short story is illustrated by Kev Walker. B)

#87 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

How many pages does it have Zencat? Is it along the line of By Royal Command and Hurricane Gold? Hopefully it will sit next to By Royal Command happily.

Thanks for the Ken Walker exclusive.

#88 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

278 pages. Same size as HG and BRC so it sits beautifully on the shelf beside them. Very high quality heavy stock pages edged in silver to match the covers.

#89 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:21 AM

Nice, zen! Is this a proof version of the book you got or the final real deal?

#90 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

It's the actual book. Not sure if they did a proof.