It's hardly a disaster, David.

#122 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Good news. You'll be able to get signed copies from the IFP website starting Thursday, but supplies are "extremely limited."

Can't say what the limit number was, but I can assure you that the last copy in stock sold two minutes ago. Boy, that was close... B)

So they sold out in 3 hours? Wow. Or was it less? Does anyone know what time they went up?

(I was able get a copy set aside, thank goodness.)

Lucky you! Helps to know people in the right place.

Sorry, Zen, all IFP have done with this is support ebay and bookseller profiteering, and not their core customers - Bond fans.

An absolute PR disaster for IFP. It leaves a very, very bad taste.

If Zencat had not given us the tip off we might not have known that they were available at IFP, so I dont see what IFP have done wrong? Got us a little excited thinking the signed ones are rare? Yes ok, true to a certain extent, but they do want to shift the books what with it being a business etc. But the chances are that there is still plenty of the signed ones about in bookshops here in the UK. Dont give up hope David! If you need help sourcing one let me know.

#123 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

Good news. You'll be able to get signed copies from the IFP website starting Thursday, but supplies are "extremely limited."

Can't say what the limit number was, but I can assure you that the last copy in stock sold two minutes ago. Boy, that was close... B)

So they sold out in 3 hours? Wow. Or was it less? Does anyone know what time they went up?

Sorry, Zen, all IFP have done with this is support ebay and bookseller profiteering, and not their core customers - Bond fans.

Far as I saw, IFP only alerted fans to these. If you didn't frequent the IFP site or one of the Bond fansites, you didn't know about them. I expect the majority of these were sold to fans. Booksellers are probably kicking themselves for missing out. And IFP sold them for cover price (saving this fan from paying double). How is this in any way a PR disaster?

#124 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:41 AM

People make money. How dare they!

I've seen a quite a few PR disasters, but I fail to see how this is one.

Looks more like an opinion disaster to me (or maybe just a case of bite reflex).

#125 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:28 AM

Firstly - and most importantly - I'd like to thank Dan Lighter for his generous offer of help in finding a copy. Gestures like that remind me that most CBNERs and warm and very genuine individuals.

Signed copies, while nice to have, are not deal breakers for me; as long as I have true UK hardback firsts of each Bond, I'm happy. Amazon were able to fill my long-standing (as a YB fan) order last Friday as a consequence of an early release by the publishers.

However - while I know Zen has a party-line to tow with his IFP connection with his YB website - I think it is wholly naiive to believe this method of release hasn't played into the hands of ebayers and bookdealers. I very much doubt the books have ended where Zen optimistically hopes - with the fans who have supported IFP with Young Bond. Time will tell, but the past suggests profiteers are the most alive to such releases when they are not as openly promoted to fans as has been the case here.

And when the books miss the target - the fans - as I suspect, that's a disaster for IFP. But people made money so what's wrong with that? as Stromberg points out from the CBN hierarchy. And he's alright, jack, after all.

#126 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

My copy just arrived, trade paperback (Made and printed in China?) An impressive all-silver bar without further cover image apart from the title.

I quickly leafed through it, many terribly fine illustrations and pics. One thing stands out though. Remember me bugging about the Beretta illustration? In the weapons section this happens to be the only illustration not showing the correctly dated firearm. There is a cut-away diagram showing the operation mode of a modern handgun (most likely of a Colt automatic), but apart from this all other weapons are historic: Derringer Pistol, Apache Revolver, Thompson SMG, Enfield Revolver, Luger.

I think this is really a bit of a pity, cause it's most likely due to a lack of a correct historic image. If someone had asked they would have gotten several possible images for the weapon in question.

#127 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

Double O Section has posted some nice pics of the actual book.

http://doubleosectio...nd-dossier.html

#128 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

The Young Bond Dossier & Hurricane Gold must have the smallest dust jackets known to man! I mean, what is that small flimsy bit of paper all about? I am very scared that I will tear it B)

#129 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

Firstly - and most importantly - I'd like to thank Dan Lighter for his generous offer of help in finding a copy. Gestures like that remind me that most CBNERs and warm and very genuine individuals.

Signed copies, while nice to have, are not deal breakers for me; as long as I have true UK hardback firsts of each Bond, I'm happy. Amazon were able to fill my long-standing (as a YB fan) order last Friday as a consequence of an early release by the publishers.

However - while I know Zen has a party-line to tow with his IFP connection with his YB website - I think it is wholly naiive to believe this method of release hasn't played into the hands of ebayers and bookdealers. I very much doubt the books have ended where Zen optimistically hopes - with the fans who have supported IFP with Young Bond. Time will tell, but the past suggests profiteers are the most alive to such releases when they are not as openly promoted to fans as has been the case here.

And when the books miss the target - the fans - as I suspect, that's a disaster for IFP. But people made money so what's wrong with that? as Stromberg points out from the CBN hierarchy. And he's alright, jack, after all.

Why, thank you Mr Schofield.

Again, calling this a 'PR disaster' is more than ridiculous. It's as if you were blaming concert promoters of playing into the hands of ebayers and scalpers because they offer tickets in advance instead of only selling them at the box office on the night of the show. How should IFP have handled this differently? Not offering signed copies at all? "Oh, IFP do nothing for the fans and collectors, they don't even offer a few signed copies." Not announcing the fact hat they sell signed copies? Come on... Oh, I understand: they should have made Higson sign the entire first print run in order to avoid the signed copies to become a collectible. Brilliant idea, he won't be able to write anything for a few weeks after that.

I'm not denying the possibility that some of those books went to resellers, but when yo say that zencat's view is way too optimistic, your view is way too pessimistic. Some people made and will make money with this. Not me, not you, so I really don't mind. Most likely, you'll see it your way and I'll see it mine. I'm willing to agree to disagree.

But I object to the fact that you're (not for the first time, IIRC, but I could be wrong) hinting that we're nothing but a bunch of PR underlings who depend on the grace and money of IFP and Eon, and who receive tons of goodies and benefits any other day. You not only have no idea, you don't even have a clue. In reality, we're nothing but a bunch of nerds who sacrifice loads of time, nerve and even money for their hobby, and most of what they get back are snide remarks and the blame for everything that goes wrong in the Bond universe.

#130 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Also to blame IFP for the creation of signed copies (as this appears to be the great crime here) is not fair. The publisher does these. I'm sure the copies on the IFP site were their allotment from the same batch that went out to independent bookstores. Puffin has done these for every Higson book (including The Enemy) since Hurricane Gold.

#131 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

Why, thank you Mr Schofield.

Again, calling this a 'PR disaster' is more than ridiculous. It's as if you were blaming concert promoters of playing into the hands of ebayers and scalpers because they offer tickets in advance instead of only selling them at the box office on the night of the show. How should IFP have handled this differently? Not offering signed copies at all? "Oh, IFP do nothing for the fans and collectors, they don't even offer a few signed copies." Not announcing the fact hat they sell signed copies? Come on... Oh, I understand: they should have made Higson sign the entire first print run in order to avoid the signed copies to become a collectible. Brilliant idea, he won't be able to write anything for a few weeks after that.

I'm not denying the possibility that some of those books went to resellers, but when yo say that zencat's view is way too optimistic, your view is way too pessimistic. Some people made and will make money with this. Not me, not you, so I really don't mind. Most likely, you'll see it your way and I'll see it mine. I'm willing to agree to disagree.

But I object to the fact that you're (not for the first time, IIRC, but I could be wrong) hinting that we're nothing but a bunch of PR underlings who depend on the grace and money of IFP and Eon, and who receive tons of goodies and benefits any other day. You not only have no idea, you don't even have a clue. In reality, we're nothing but a bunch of nerds who sacrifice loads of time, nerve and even money for their hobby, and most of what they get back are snide remarks and the blame for everything that goes wrong in the Bond universe.

Of course, Stromberg, it seems to have been beyond the wit of IFP/Penguin (delete the one you prefer to offend the least) to have a marketed, set release of oh, I don't know, say a 1000 copies signed by Charlie. While I accept that this might have - as you point out - prevented him from writing anything for somewhile afterward, it didn't prevent his signing hand being availabe for such use on the previous YB releases, did it? This way, market demand of fans would have been satisfied - as on the earlier books - and the threat of ebay and bookseller profiteering drastically reduced. But hey, IFP/Penguin not being wise to this only makes them as bad as concert promoters, so thats okay.

You ARE mistaken that I am suggesting here and have in the past suggested CBN mods were a bunch of freelaoding toadies - and I'd very much like to know from where you are drawing that inference. I respect anyone who undertakes such voluntary work and trust there is reward enough in the satisfaction of having done that. I am sad that here it seems to have lead to the development of a persecution complex, though.

No, I have no criticsm of the CBN team in general, merely your own acceptance that "people will make money" from Bond fans when, with a little more thought - and I hope Zencat would accept that, too - IFP/Penguin could have avoided playing into the hands of the opportunists to the detriment of their supporters, Bond readers. That's all.

#132 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:51 PM

I'll be picking this up tomorrow when I step out. I'm expecting great things from it.

#133 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

I saw over 10 signed copies of Danger Society in the shops today in Bath City. B) No mark up, £12:99.

So there are plenty still about Dave. My offer still stands to anyone having problems getting a signed one for cover price. Send me a PM here.

And additionally I don't think Zencat is towing any line with IFP. He is a self confessed fanboy and finds it hard to criticize anything creative produced about Bond, very much like myself with a positive outlook. www.youngbonddossier.com was set up by Zencat out of his own pocket. I am bet all contacts he made he worked hard for, as with the website he made (and its a bloody good website). And he was also kind enough to post up the fact signed books were avalible to purchase from the website.

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 31 October 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#134 Trempo

Trempo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

I got the book today. And to my surprise it is a signed copy.

#135 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Just-released Young Bond book from Higson

#136 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

Debating whether to get this. I have the intl paperbacks of HG and BRC, but do I really need everything? My new limited display/storage area is making me rethink things like this.

#137 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:38 AM

Debating whether to get this. I have the intl paperbacks of HG and BRC, but do I really need everything? My new limited display/storage area is making me rethink things like this.

I'm shocked, zen! B)

#138 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:22 AM

I'm shocked, zen! B)

#139 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, I know, it's sad. I've also resisted (so far) getting the French Silvefin Graphic Novel, which is now available on Amazon.co.uk. Just a combo of reduced space and a reduced bank account. B)

#140 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

BTW, got my signed copy from IFP today. Very nice. Also nice having an IFP invoice tipped into it.

#141 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

Looks like the YBD signed editions might be the most collectible young Bond books to date. Last week there was 12 in the local bookshop signed, today there was only two left! Still have signed copies of By Royal Command and Hurricane Gold.

#142 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

The number might have been quite low. They're not even showing up on eBay.

#143 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

What do you think Zencat, 1000 - 1500 signed? Just a guess.

#144 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

I saw the international edition of this today - I must say, it's a sweet-looking book. The silver edges match more seamlessly with the silver cover than the gold on the international edition of Hurricane Gold.

#145 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

... and arrived today. I do love it when stuff I ordered arrives on a Saturday morning, especially when it's a beauty like this.
Looking forward to a rainy Saturday afternoon in front of the fireplace with 'A Hard Man to Kill'. :top:

On the minus side: I wish they'd ship those in boxes instead of bags. Not that mine got severe damages, but if I were to resell it (which I certainly won't), I'd be unable to offer it as 'mint condition'. Bent corners can be easily fixed, but the metallic surface is somewhat prone to scratches, and it's got a few (luckily on the back only). Bottom of the spine got quite a nice bruise, but I can live with it.

#146 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

I agree that the silver hardcover marks far to easy. Not seen a mint new one in any shop really. It's not like you can t-cut the scratches out. Much like the HG gold cover.

#147 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:57 AM

So after this, what? Higson will be busy on The Enemy for the next couple of years but IFP should think of a way of keeping YB fans active, so to spaek. How about Blood Fever: The Graphic Novel for late 2010, any chance of that?

#148 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Blood Fever graphic novel would be great.

I have no idea what's next for Young Bond. Frankly, I'm a little spooked that it may be over. This is based on nothing I've heard...because I've heard absolutely nothing. IFP has been dead quiet lately. But Charlie seems booked for a few years and not long ago [dark]* observed (and I continue to notice) that the Young Bond copyright -- logo and titles -- now belongs to Danjaq. Maybe not a big deal. But if Danjaq needs to sign off on future YB adventures, based on their past lack of enthusiasm for continuation novels, I could see that not happening.

*Or was it K1Bond007? Sorry, don't remember now.

#149 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Blood Fever graphic novel would be great.

I have no idea what's next for Young Bond. Frankly, I'm a little spooked that it may be over. This is based on nothing I've heard...because I've heard absolutely nothing. IFP has been dead quiet lately. But Charlie seems booked for a few years and not long ago [dark] observed (and I continue to notice) that the Young Bond copyright -- logo and titles -- now belongs to Danjaq. Maybe not a big deal. But if Danjaq needs to sign off on future YB adventures, based on their past lack of enthusiasm for continuation novels, I could see that not happening.

Ah, most interesting. Didn't know about Danjaq grabbing YB. May really be an indicator that this particular chapter is finished and the copyright 'parked' at Danjaq. Still, this needn't necessarily mean an end of efforts. Has anybody an idea if these are copyrighted yet (and with whom?):

- Fettes Bond
- War Bond
- Ensign Bond
- Commando Bond
- Agent Bond

I somehow doubt the Fettes years will really feature in another series as a sole background setting, but who knows?

#150 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

Oh, I think the Fettes years would be a great setting for a Young Bond Series 2. Bond was there longer and there are some nice Fleming nuggets for Charlie in mine -- judo club?

I'd love to see this to happen.