191 replies to this topic

#31 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

Still holding out hope it'll serve as a bridge between the Young Bond novels and a new series of WWII stories sometime down the road. Either way I'm excited. B)

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Looking forward to this short story preview. Reminds me of the BRC preview in the HG paperback.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

By the way zencat, any idea if/when Danger Society: The Young Bond Dossier will be released in the U.S.? Since the U.K. version comes out before we get By Royal Command, I would assume the U.S. wouldn't get Danger Society until next fall at the earliest, if at all.

I would think it would have to be after the US BRC, so we might not see it until 2011. But I will ask Disney next week.

Nope, sorry, nothing to report on a U.S. release yet.

#34 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

I've scored a new high res (and slightly revised) cover image. Working it up on the site now. Stand by.

#35 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Here we go.

#36 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

Probably not, but could the Young Bond story be called "Top Secret"? It's a bit bland, but it might make sense given the new tagline and the size of those words on the miniature dustjacket.

Also, has the story ever been referred to as a "short story"? Maybe it's something a bit more substantial, like a novella?

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

Probably not, but could the Young Bond story be called "Top Secret"? It's a bit bland, but it might make sense given the new tagline and the size of those words on the miniature dustjacket.

Also, has the story ever been referred to as a "short story"? Maybe it's something a bit more substantial, like a novella?

I doubt the story is called Top Secret. I think that just for effect on the "seal."

Good point re the lenght of the story. I think I pointed out above, nowhere (official) has it said "short story" -- just "story." In my emails with Puffin, they've used "short story", but it's possible it's something much longer. The book shows as being 240 pages after all.

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

A preview of a short story seems kind of dumb to me. Not knocking it really, it's just that .. it's already short. B)

Good point re the lenght of the story. I think I pointed out above, nowhere (official) has it said "short story" -- just "story." In my emails with Puffin, they've used "short story", but it's possible it's something much longer. The book shows as being 240 pages after all.

So I've received reliable intel that this new story is substantially longer than your average "short story". :tdown:

#39 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

Most interesting - thanks for the intel, zencat. I'm guessing it could comprise up to half of this new book. Maybe somewhere between 50 and 100 pages. Guesswork, but this is very cool.

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

Half the book might be expecting too much, [dark]. But we'll see. It's still a mystery exactly how this book will be laid out. I'm wondering if we will get Kev Walker illustrations with the story. That would be awesome.

#41 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Here's some interesting news. With research help from the CBn Team, I'm determined that this new YB short story is actually the longest James Bond short story yet written, beating out For Your Eyes Only.

New Young Bond story is not so short

Posted Image

#42 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:44 AM

Here's some interesting news. With research help from the CBn Team, I'm determined that this new YB short story is actually the longest James Bond short story yet written, beating out For Your Eyes Only.

Excellent!

#43 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

Awesome!

#44 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:29 AM

I'm dying to know the title! But I can wait. B)

#45 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

May have missed the info, but any word of if the short story is pre or post BRC?

#46 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

No word yet. A while back Charlie was talking about writing a short story set on a cruise ship set between Hurricane Gold and By Royal Command. However, there's been no indication whether this will be that short story.

#47 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

I suspect that question will be answered when we get a look at the extract in BRC.

#48 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

More news...

Danger Society release date pulled forward

#49 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

Spoilers about the short story from a rival website.

The title is
Spoiler

It is set during
Spoiler

Also,
Spoiler
will meet Bond for the first time during the course of the short story.

#50 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

Cool info - I like the title. Sounds more like an adult Bond novel title than a Young Bond title, though.

Spoiler

#51 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

Shame they spoiled all this. I was respectfully holding back until the release of the By Royal Command paperback with the story preview so fans would be motivated to get the book and discover it there. That was kind of the point, wasn't it?

Nevertheless...

Spoiler

#52 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:02 AM

This is the only new Bond story this year and I'm looking forward to it so much. Even if there was a new film or a novel by a different author this is the one I would most be looking forward to.

#53 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

This is the only new Bond story this year and I'm looking forward to it so much. Even if there was a new film or a novel by a different author this is the one I would most be looking forward to.

I just very excited about the companion book in general. How cool to have something like this. There are a zillion books devoted to the film Bond, but precious few devoted to the lit Bond, and none of those really go beyond Fleming. It's awesome to have something devoted entirely to a continuation series. I'm curious about the content beyond the short story.

#54 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

Me too, zen. I'm expecting some in-depth rundowns on each of the books, including info on girls, villains, allies, locations, that kinda thing. Probably some Kev Walker illustrations, too. But it's gotta be something substantial to warrant a hardback release like this.

It's definitely an exciting publication, and one that shows IFP's ongoing commitment to Young Bond (bring on series two!).

#55 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

It's definitely an exciting publication, and one that shows IFP's ongoing commitment to Young Bond (bring on series two!).

For sure. We've had a new Young Bond item every year since 2005. Hopefully they announce a second series or more graphic novels to continue that trend.

#56 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I'm also intrigued to see Charlie is the only listed author. I knew he would contribute the short, but I figured all the other "dossier" material would be handled by another writer. Maybe it was. Or maybe Charlie wrote it all himself.

Got a clarification. Charlie did not write the Dossier content. Just the short story.

#57 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

Now available for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk.

#58 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

This book is now also available from The Book Depository at a very sweet discount. I get all my books from there now - I've never landed anything other than an absolute bargain.

#59 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

I cant wait......I think I might burst!!!

Can we send a petition to Downing Street to get it released now? B)

#60 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

Posted Image
Penguin Australia listing for upcoming Charlie Higson book

Glad to see we'll have another one of these to collect.