1332 replies to this topic

#1171 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:21 AM

I watched "RUBICON" on AMC and "BOARDWALK EMPIRE" on HBO, last night.

How is Boardwalk Empire? Not to sound snooty but my TV viewing time is limited. Does it deserve my time?

#1172 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

Season premiere of Chuck. All in all a pretty weak episode but I hope at was because they were setting up the premise for the season. During the preview for upcoming episodes at the end, I think they showed a very quick glimpse of Timothy Dalton with a Hot Fuzz type mustache.

#1173 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

This Morning

#1174 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:13 AM

GLEE: Decent start to Season 2, although it could have been much better. Still, I'll take this episode over all but one episode in the Back 9 of the first season. The way the new cast members were integrated was very good, and some cast members who were shoved to the background when the series came back from hiatus last year got to be out in front a bit more (namely Dianna Agron, who had one of the best scenes of the episode). Also, the "Empire State of Mind" was one of, if not THE, most visually pleasing musical number that they've done to date, and was also easily the best attempt at a rap song that they've done so far.

#1175 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

Loved the premiere of "Boardwalk Empire". Also currently hooked on History Channel's "Pawn Stars" and "American Pickers"--Danielle Colby-Cushman is yummy. *g*

#1176 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:27 AM

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: I stopped following this show a while ago because it ended up getting shuffled around CBS' schedule (or something like that), but finally started back with it when it made it back onto the fall schedule for this season. Very solid 1/2 hour comedy. There's nothing here that's groundbreaking or anything, but it's better than most of what populates CBS' schedule (and is miles better than the lame "comedy" that TWO AND A HALF MEN has become).

#1177 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

Friends

#1178 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

The Walking Dead

Not yet the show itself - but I saw the trailer. And man, that looks interesting...

#1179 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

Did anyone watch the new JJ Abrams show "Undercovers"? I DVRd it but was wondering if it was really worth checking out or not.

#1180 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

Watched 71 degrees north the other night. I would love to go to the north pole (or wherever they are, I can't quite remember) and experience that!!!

#1181 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

The Real World: New Orleans Reunion Special.

#1182 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

Did anyone watch the new JJ Abrams show "Undercovers"? I DVRd it but was wondering if it was really worth checking out or not.

Pretty enjoyable. Not as good as the Alias pilot was, but I dug it. I usually like stuff J.J. Abrams starts (not to be confused with stuff J.J. Abrams leaves others to finish).

#1183 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:37 AM

HAWAII FIVE-0: A pretty solid trailer for the rebooted series. The cast is pretty good, if not overly spectacular, and the action was pretty good. It's not my first choice at 10 pm on Mondays (that will always be ABC's Castle), but it's worth a spot on the DVR for a viewing on Tuesday (or, in this case, a Saturday evening waiting for the next football game to begin ;) )

#1184 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

CHUCK: A rather underwhelming beginning to what was supposed to be a return to form for the series. Sure, it's lighter in tone than Season 3, but that alone doesn't really make it good. For an action-comedy, it seems rather light on action and comedy, and still very heavy on the relationship nonsense that plagued Season 3. Sure, they're together now, which should have made the series better and allowed the focus to shift back to the light-hearted action-comedy of the first two seasons. Now the focus is on how they can't deal with being in a "long distance relationship" even though they live together.

THE EVENT: An interesting start to a potentially good series, but it felt like too much set up and not enough moving forward. There was too much jumping back and forth in time in the pilot. If the storyline can become a bit more streamlined and linear, NBC could finally have the hit they're starving for in this show, but it's not there yet.
CASTLE: A solid beginning to Season 3, although it features a bit too much moping on the part of all the main characters. Also, the much hyped "shocking" aspects of the episode turned out to be rather predictable, especially the "shootout" between Beckett and Castle that was used over and over again in the promos. I saw the resolution to that one coming from about ten miles away. Still a solid beginning to the season.

I'll be curious to see how this pans out. But, once a huuuuuge fan, of must-watch-weekly series, I've been burned too many times to give this one a chance, at least right now. It really is a major drag to invest months of your life in a series that's killed before the season's over.

#1185 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

HAWAII FIVE-0: A pretty solid trailer for the rebooted series. The cast is pretty good, if not overly spectacular, and the action was pretty good. It's not my first choice at 10 pm on Mondays (that will always be ABC's Castle), but it's worth a spot on the DVR for a viewing on Tuesday (or, in this case, a Saturday evening waiting for the next football game to begin ;) )

I feel the same and thats why I'd be interested in seeing how the second episode pans out since the first episode had a big budget and was directed by Len Wisemen who despite his ability to direct action well doesn't impress me that well as a director.

#1186 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Did anyone catch BLUE BLOODS, the Tom Selleck series?

I couldn´t since I´m from Germany. But from the reviews it looks interesting. And it was a surprise ratings spectacular on a Friday as I´m told.

#1187 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Mad Men. Not a bad episode this week. Looking forward to next week's, though.

#1188 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

CHUCK: A much, much better episode than the season premiere last week, but one that still leaves me wondering when (or, more likely, if) the creative team behind the show will ever be able to recapture the magic of Season 2 (and, to a lesser extent, Season 1). Still, this was one of the best episodes since Season 2 (thanks in large part to a terrific, if rather cliche, fight scene towards the end of the episode), and hopefully it's the beginning of some movement in the right direction.

#1189 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

The Simpsons

#1190 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:09 AM

GLEE: Well, that was pretty bad. Probably the worst episode of the series, by a long shot. Hopefully at this point the producers realize that artist themed episodes just don't work. The only highlight of the episode (and I can't stress the word "only" enough) was Lea Michele's rendition of "Baby One More Time", which took a truly awful song and made it sound somewhat decent. Other than that, it was just awful.

CASTLE: Another very good episode. It's good to see that CASTLE isn't falling victim to the slump that usually takes hold of a show in its third season. This episode featured some of the best banter between Castle and Beckett, with Castle trying the whole episode to try to get Beckett to open her mind a bit to the possibility that things such as psychics, mediums, etc. actually exist (the episode was about the duo investigating the death of a celebrity psychic). Next week's episode, though, looks even better. Can't wait.

Edited by tdalton, 29 September 2010 - 04:27 AM.

#1191 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

CHUCK: A much, much better episode than the season premiere last week, but one that still leaves me wondering when (or, more likely, if) the creative team behind the show will ever be able to recapture the magic of Season 2 (and, to a lesser extent, Season 1). Still, this was one of the best episodes since Season 2 (thanks in large part to a terrific, if rather cliche, fight scene towards the end of the episode), and hopefully it's the beginning of some movement in the right direction.

I liked it too. However, I'm not sure if the show will ever be like Season 1 or 2 since the dynamics of the show have totally changed since then.

#1192 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

GLEE: Well, that was pretty bad. Probably the worst episode of the series, by a long shot.

Agreed. That was dreadful.

#1193 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:41 AM

I liked it too. However, I'm not sure if the show will ever be like Season 1 or 2 since the dynamics of the show have totally changed since then.

I'm not necessarily suggesting a return to the format of Seasons 1 or 2, where Chuck is a bumbling idiot who doesn't want any of what is happening to him to be happening. I'm just looking for the return of higher-quality storytelling like we got in those series. While the show has always been primarily about the Chuck/Sarah relationship, there was always a palpable threat that they were facing on the spy front as well, with Fulcrum providing the ever-present nemesis that needed to be extinguished. The problem after Season 2 became that the Chuck/Sarah relationship became the only focus of the series. The Ring, which was supposed to be a SPECTRE-like organization of which Fulcrum was just a small faction, was about as threatening as a wet dishrag and was treated by the storytellers as though it wasn't the least bit important, when in reality it should have been treated as an upping of the ante for Team Bartowski in terms of the kind of villains they were going to face. Also, even in the rather good Season 3 finale, the whole concept of Chuck facing off against another Intersect Agent was treated with surprising indifference, forcing it to take a backseat to yet more Chuck/Sarah drama.

Now that the couple is together, that should have allowed a new threat to emerge to the forefront, but it hasn't. Hopefully Timothy Dalton's arrival to the series is something that finally gives the series the villain that it so desperately needs (although it's not at all been confirmed, at least to my knowledge, I'm fairly convinced that Dalton will be Season 4's chief villain) and also provides the series with the creative shot-in-the-arm that it so desperately needs in order to somehow attain a miraculous fifth season from NBC.

GLEE: Well, that was pretty bad. Probably the worst episode of the series, by a long shot.

In an effort to be fair, I'd also have to admit that I quite enjoyed the final performance of the episode as well (the cover of one of Paramore's songs, if I'm not mistaken). With that said, one has to wonder just what the creative team behind the show were thinking when they put that episode together. My question is whatever happened to the creative team's desire to keep the characters from spontaneously breaking-out into song?

#1194 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

In an effort to be fair, I'd also have to admit that I quite enjoyed the final performance of the episode as well (the cover of one of Paramore's songs, if I'm not mistaken). With that said, one has to wonder just what the creative team behind the show were thinking when they put that episode together. My question is whatever happened to the creative team's desire to keep the characters from spontaneously breaking-out into song?

Well, all right, I guess I should nuance it a bit - the episode nearly redeemed itself in the last couple of minutes.

But dentist-anaesthesia-induced musical fantasies? Seriously? :S :dizzy: :rolleyes:

#1195 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Undercovers

Damn! What is it with these tame spy shows (Covert Affairs too)?

I like my shows dark, people. Very dark. You'd think that would be easy when centering them around one of the darkest professions possible. But we get these 'fun' adventures, which is... boring to me. God, now I can't even be entertained anymore unless something gets under my skin?

:(

#1196 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

NO ORDINARY FAMILY ("Pilot"): A solid, if not spectacular, pilot episode. If there were lesser talents in the cast it would probably be a show that I wouldn't come back to, but the basic premise is one that I like and the two leads (Michael Chiklis and Julie Benz) are quite strong, which leaves the door open for this to be a show that will grow on its potential and become a solid TV series.

CHASE ("Pilot"): Pretty bad. I turned it off somewhere in the middle after being bored by it for the entire duration up to that point. Going into the season, it looked like NBC had finally gotten things going in the right direction, especially on Mondays with a solid three-hour block, but it doesn't appear as though CHASE is going to hold up its end of the bargain on that. At least NBC still has CHUCK and THE EVENT on Mondays.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT ("The Bank"): Solid episode. This isn't a show that is going to really wow anyone at this point, but it's one of those nice little comedies that is a fun half hour that stacks up pretty well against just about anything else CBS has to offer in terms of comedies.

#1197 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

The Cube. God there's some [censored] on telly! :P

#1198 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Family Guy
I must admit Rush Limbaugh has some guts, and Brian is dead on about Cocktail.

#1199 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Gilligan's Island

#1200 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans