1078 replies to this topic

#181 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

I really hope it's not Hugh Grant, I don't see him as being saintly at all. While gentelmanly, Templar also needs to be confident and tough, not foppish.

I have always thought Cary Elwes would be a decent Saint.

Ian,
can you tell us if this actor is known in the US as well as the UK?

Yes, he is well known on both sides of the Atlantic.

You also need to consider, and I think I may have already said this, if not, well I'm obviously practising for the press-release, that they're looking to go back to some of the Saint's original characteristics. So whilst he has to be able to play the light-hearted mischievous adventurer, he also has to be a credible killer.

Ian

#182 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

A bit too old for the part I guess. Then again I could be wrong. I wonder how he will fare with the fights. my brain has gone numb, Who are the other actors' in their 40's???

Actors eliminated by Ian so far are James Purefoy, Jeremy Northam, Greg Wise, Jonathan Cake, and John Barrowman.

Actors discarded by me as not feasible are too numerous to list but include Clive Owen, Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Rufus Sewell, Cary Elwes, David Morrissey, Ray Stevenson, Linus Roache, Mark Strong, Steven Brand, James Frain, Paul Blackthorne, Vincent Regan, Paul McGann, Peter Wingfield, Nathaniel Parker, Adrian Paul, Rupert Graves, Ben Miles, Paul Rhys, Martin Kemp, Clive Robertson and many others who regularly show up in costume dramas or TV shows like The Bill and Casualty.

Dunno why I didn't even think of McGann. He wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice. Though given Ian's last comment, I really don't think McGann is well-known on both halves of the sea.

#183 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

I've never seen any of the cinematic versions of THE SAINT, aside from the Val Kilmer version. I'm sure they are quite good - with the exception of the Kilmer version. However, I have seen the TV versions with Roger Moore, Ian Ogilvy and Simon Dutton. Of the three, Dutton's series was the only one I didn't care for.

You also need to consider, and I think I may have already said this, if not, well I'm obviously practising for the press-release, that they're looking to go back to some of the Saint's original characteristics. So whilst he has to be able to play the light-hearted mischievous adventurer, he also has to be a credible killer.

Sounds like your typical, sophisticated action hero.

Edited by DR76, 16 July 2009 - 04:06 PM.

#184 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

Yes, he is well known on both sides of the Atlantic.

Ian

Jason Isaacs, perhaps?

#185 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

So whilst he has to be able to play the light-hearted mischievous adventurer, he also has to be a credible killer.

Ian

which is why I rule out Hugh Grant.

#186 JeffWest

JeffWest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

So whilst he has to be able to play the light-hearted mischievous adventurer, he also has to be a credible killer.

Ian

I think you're underestimating him.

#187 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Ian

It's not Hugh Grant. As far as I know he's not been anywhere near this project.

Ian

#188 JeffWest

JeffWest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

Ian

It's not Hugh Grant. As far as I know he's not been anywhere near this project.

Ian

Oh well.

I guess I put my chips on Cary Elwes now.

#189 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

A bit too old for the part I guess. Then again I could be wrong. I wonder how he will fare with the fights. my brain has gone numb, Who are the other actors' in their 40's???

Actors eliminated by Ian so far are James Purefoy, Jeremy Northam, Greg Wise, Jonathan Cake, and John Barrowman.

Actors discarded by me as not feasible are too numerous to list but include Clive Owen, Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Rufus Sewell, Cary Elwes, David Morrissey, Ray Stevenson, Linus Roache, Mark Strong, Steven Brand, James Frain, Paul Blackthorne, Vincent Regan, Paul McGann, Peter Wingfield, Nathaniel Parker, Adrian Paul, Rupert Graves, Ben Miles, Paul Rhys, Martin Kemp, Clive Robertson and many others who regularly show up in costume dramas or TV shows like The Bill and Casualty.

I'm American with I'd consider a fair amount of knowledge of various actors, and of those listed by Bond Bombshell earlier and above and who have not been discounted by Ian, here are who I would consider to be the candidates who are famous on both sides of the Atlantic:

Cary Elwes, Rupert Everett, Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Jason Isaacs, Clive Owen, Adrian Paul, Dougray Scott, Rufus Sewell and MAYBE Linus Roache (thanks to Law & Order).

Other names listed above I've heard of (and even might recognize if I saw them) but wouldn't consider famous over here are:

James Frain, Rupert Graves, David Morrissey, Nathaniel Parker, Ray Stevenson, and Mark Strong.

So while the possibility exists that The Saint front runner isn't among those listed by Bond Bombshell, I suggest one should concentrate on the above ten. Of those, I would say the top contender would be found among Elwes, Fiennes, and Issacs with my personal preference being Issacs.

#190 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

I'm American with I'd consider a fair amount of knowledge of various actors, and of those listed by Bond Bombshell earlier and above and who have not been discounted by Ian, here are who I would consider to be the candidates who are famous on both sides of the Atlantic:

Cary Elwes, Rupert Everett, Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Jason Isaacs, Clive Owen, Adrian Paul, Dougray Scott, Rufus Sewell and MAYBE Linus Roache (thanks to Law & Order).

Other names listed above I've heard of (and even might recognize if I saw them) but wouldn't consider famous over here are:

James Frain, Rupert Graves, David Morrissey, Nathaniel Parker, Ray Stevenson, and Mark Strong.

So while the possibility exists that The Saint front runner isn't among those listed by Bond Bombshell, I suggest one should concentrate on the above ten. Of those, I would say the top contender would be found among Elwes, Fiennes, and Issacs with my personal preference being Issacs.

Joseph Fiennes.

#191 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Dunno why I didn't even think of McGann. He wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice. Though given Ian's last comment, I really don't think McGann is well-known on both halves of the sea.

There was a time when McGann was a prolific film and tv actor and it's a shame we don't see much of him these days. I ruled him out originally because of that and because he's almost 50.

Interestingly, a number of posters have picked up on Elwes since I stuck him in my discounted list so I better explain why I did that. I checked up on him and thought he looked a bit out of shape these days. Of course he could always get back into shape so I may have been premature. Fiennes I discounted because like Owen, I couldn't imagine him wanting to do a Saint TV movie at this stage in his career. Others in your list of ten I ruled out because they were in their late 40's, but again that may have been premature.

Joseph Fiennes.

Joseph Fiennes is under 40 and committed to Flash Forward, a show I'm very much looking forward to.

#192 St Louis

St Louis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

I've just had to join this forum for this intersting discussion; although I like Bond as well.

I think an actor who has been overlooked as a possible contender is Hugh Laurie. In the UK he is remembered mostly for playing posh baffoons in various roles, but in the US he is of course well known for being the serious Dr House.

I know Ian said back in April this proposed Saint actor was in his 40s, but Hugh only turned 50 in June, and therefore he cannot be ruled out on age.

Personally, I think Hugh Laurie isn't right for the part, but he does tick many boxes:

Famous English actor familar to Americans
Known around the world
Was 49 when Ian said it was someone in his 40s
Fits the Saint's physical description of an upper-class English gentleman, 6'2 and handsome, with bright blue eyes.
Can do comedy and straight acting equally well.

Actually, I'm talking myself round; I think he could do it!

Edited by St Louis, 18 July 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#193 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

I've just had to join this forum for this intersting discussion; although I like Bond as well.

I think an actor who has been overlooked as a possible contender is Hugh Laurie. In the UK he is remembered mostly for playing posh baffoons in various roles, but in the US he is of course well known for being the serious Dr House.

I know Ian said back in April this proposed Saint actor was in his 40s, but Hugh only turned 50 in June, and therefore he cannot be ruled out on age.

Personally, I think Hugh Laurie isn't right for the part, but he does tick many boxes:

Known around the world
Fits the Saint's physical description of an upper-class English gentleman, 6'2 and handsome, with bright blue eyes.

I love Dr House. But I really doubt it's him. Hope that series continues. Hehe. But some of your observations are right. Is there any other Brit actor in his 40's we missed??? It's killing me !

#194 JeffWest

JeffWest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

I've just had to join this forum for this interesting discussion; although I like Bond as well.

I think an actor who has been overlooked as a possible contender is Hugh Laurie. In the UK he is remembered mostly for playing posh buffoons in various roles, but in the US he is of course well known for being the serious Dr House.

Famous English actor familiar to Americans
Known around the world

I love Dr House. But I really doubt it's him. Hope that series continues. Hehe. But some of your observations are right. Is there any other Brit actor in his 40's we missed??? It's killing me !

Has anyone suggested Kenneth Branagh yet?

Edited by JeffWest, 18 July 2009 - 01:02 PM.

#195 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

I've just had to join this forum for this interesting discussion; although I like Bond as well.

I think an actor who has been overlooked as a possible contender is Hugh Laurie. In the UK he is remembered mostly for playing posh buffoons in various roles, but in the US he is of course well known for being the serious Dr House.

Famous English actor familiar to Americans
Known around the world

Has anyone suggested Kenneth Branagh yet?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#196 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

There are certainly other British actors in their 40s who haven't been suggested yet. One could argue the following have a profile in the US, even if in some cases that's a bit of a stretch - Tim Roth, Robert Carlyle, Christopher Eccleston, Rhys Ifans, Michael Sheen, Sean Pertwee, Douglas Henshall, Iain Glen, David Thewlis, Angus Macfadyen, Gary Stretch, Jason Connery and Henry Ian Cusick. Then there's some chap called Daniel Craig. However, I'd put all of these in the same category as Hugh Laurie, Kenneth Branagh, and Sean Bean and there's a danger we're coming up with candidates that are increasingly unlikely.

IMO all the credible candidates have already been mentioned, and were mentioned pretty soon after Ian informed us we were looking for a British actor in his 40s.

#197 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

There was a time when McGann was a prolific film and tv actor and it's a shame we don't see much of him these days. I ruled him out originally because of that and because he's almost 50.

I think I ruled him out simply because I and a few of my friends only know him from his brief stint as the Eighth Doctor between that TV movie and a few audio drama. Mother knows him simply because of me being a Who fan. Rest of my friends would just sort of scratch their heads *shrug* Though to be fair, I'm not one to go by. I'm horrible with names. I don't recognize a fair number of the names up above. Have to google image them or, when that fails, wiki their filmography.

#198 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

Known around the world

I love House and more than once I've watched the show and pondered on Hugh Laurie having a turn as the Saint.

But it's not him.

Ian

#199 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

I would say the top contender would be found among Elwes, Fiennes, and Issacs with my personal preference being Issacs.

Rupert Everett and Adrian Paul are now 50, so I would rule them out (for one reason or another). I think both Colin Firth, Ralph Finnes and Clive Owen are too big of movie stars to commit to a TV series.

I think either Dougray Scott and Jason Isaacs would be good choices (although Isaacs is currently filming the next 2 Harry Potter films and it looks like Scott also has a couple projects in the works.

#200 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

There are certainly other British actors in their 40s who haven't been suggested yet. One could argue the following have a profile in the US, even if in some cases that's a bit of a stretch - Tim Roth, Robert Carlyle, Christopher Eccleston, Rhys Ifans, Michael Sheen, Sean Pertwee, Douglas Henshall, Iain Glen, David Thewlis, Angus Macfadyen, Gary Stretch, Jason Connery and Henry Ian Cusick. Then there's some chap called Daniel Craig. However, I'd put all of these in the same category as Hugh Laurie, Kenneth Branagh, and Sean Bean and there's a danger we're coming up with candidates that are increasingly unlikely.

IMO all the credible candidates have already been mentioned, and were mentioned pretty soon after Ian informed us we were looking for a British actor in his 40s.

Some very interesting names. I like to keep Michael Sheen. He is shaping up well.

#201 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

I would say the top contender would be found among Elwes, Fiennes, and Issacs with my personal preference being Issacs.

Rupert Everett and Adrian Paul are now 50, so I would rule them out (for one reason or another). I think both Colin Firth, Ralph Finnes and Clive Owen are too big of movie stars to commit to a TV series.

I dunno, I could see Fiennes as doing TV, depending upon the project. I think of those three Owen would be the least likely.

#202 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Fiennes is a bit to stiff for a part like this. The way Ian speaks you can tell that it's a star who is favoured recently by the media and public in USA.
Michael Sheen is really working on my mind. Jason Isaacs looks a but like a villain.

#203 St Louis

St Louis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

Even though Michael Sheen is terrific at transforming himself for different parts, I think it would be hard for him to look convincing as the Saint. According IMDB he is only 5'9, which wouldn't help.

Edited by St Louis, 18 July 2009 - 10:35 PM.

#204 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:09 AM

Even though Michael Sheen is terrific at transforming himself for different parts, I think it would be hard for him to look convincing as the Saint. According IMDB he is only 5'9, which wouldn't help.

Height is pretty irrelevant on screen really; just look at Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes, Humphrey Bogart as Philip Marlowe or Daniel Craig as Bond for that matter. Also neither Roger Moore or Ian Ogilvey are that tall.

For what it's worth I don't think it's Sheen anyway! B)

As for Branagh; he's pretty much tied up with Wallander on tv and the upcoming Thor feature film (plus is now in his 50's).

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 19 July 2009 - 02:13 AM.

#205 St Louis

St Louis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Height is pretty irrelevant on screen really; just look at Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes, Humphrey Bogart as Philip Marlowe or Daniel Craig as Bond for that matter. Also neither Roger Moore or Ian Ogilvey are that tall.

Although I appreciate the camera can get away with a lot, if the actor is the right height then it's one less thing to worry about. It's evident how important height is to Bond when one realizes the first five actor were all over the benchmark of 6'0.

I'm not sure about the heights of some Saint actors, but IMDB records the following:

Louis Hayward as 5'10½ (5'9 according to Burl Barer, the Saint biographer)
George Sanders as 6'3½;
Hugh Sinclair ? But he looked at least 6'0
Roger Moore 6'2 (6'1 elsewhere)
Ian Ogilvy 6'0
Andrew Clarke ? But I think he's definitely over 6'0
Simon Dutton ? I'd guess around 5'11 to 6'0. Ian Dickerson might have a better idea, as I think he's met him.
Val Kilmer 6'0

Sorry, quite anal of me to start listing heights, but I am curious. They're mostly on the tall side, though.

For what it's worth I don't think it's Sheen anyway! B)

As for Branagh; he's pretty much tied up with Wallander on tv and the upcoming Thor feature film (plus is now in his 50's).

I don't think it's Sheen either, as his career is doing too good at the moment on the big screen. I don't think Branagh would have much of a draw these days.

#206 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

I'd say he'd still be more of a draw than a lot of these guys, but he's not really right for the role and it's not the sort of thing I can really see him doing. All much of a muchness as it's not going to be him anyway.

#207 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

Simon Dutton ? I'd guess around 5'11 to 6'0. Ian Dickerson might have a better idea, as I think he's met him.

He's 5 ft 11.

Ian

#208 St Louis

St Louis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Thanks Ian. You have such knowledge on anything related to the Saint. I hope you get your various Saintly works published in time for this new production; will be a captivating read

Edited by St Louis, 19 July 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#209 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

Whoever it is, I can't wait for this. Huge fan of The Saint.
Good luck Ian!

Rupert Penry-Jones? Ex BBC Spooks (MI5) actor.
Couldn't get Bond so..
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Known in the US as Spooks is shown there.
British as they come.
Nice accent.
He's 6ft 1".
38 yrs old.

Am I warm? B)

#210 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:53 PM

Am I warm? B)

No. Ian has already said negotiations are ongoing with a well known British actor in his 40s. Shame though. Penry-Jones would have been one of my top choices too.