Ouch, those reviews are not pretty

#122 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hmmm... leading character's an unlikeable idiot (though leading actor holds it all together admirably), plot was complete hokum...there's elements of something good but I don't know if they'll be able to extract them in time...

#123 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

You can see a sort of link to the Saint, but it doesn't sound like it is the Saint (under another name). Good.

I'm hoping for Penry Jones by the way - I think he could pull it off and he bears a passing resemblance to Ogilvy.

Just tell me we get the halo this time?? B)

#124 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Since someone else has already spilt the beans elsewhere on the net, it looks like the new Saint will be driving one of these: http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/

Ian

#125 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

Really; a Fisker? That's proper expensive, ultra-exclusive stuff there. Sort of fits the Saint of the books too as it's a marque no-one has heard of! B)

Where was this revealed, Ian? And do I take it it's the truth as far as you know?

Not sure it'll look good in white, though. It's gotta be white, surely? :tdown:

#126 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

I was praying for an old restored P-1800 B)

#127 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:45 PM

To those in the know, who is the Simon Templar character from the books?
What is he like? Is he different to the filmed interpretations?

Secondly, an acquaintance of mine who knows this character suggests that George Saunders was probably the best Saint.

What do those that know think?

Who was best out of (the principal filmic Saints):
Louis Hayward
George Sanders
Hugh Sinclair
Roger Moore
Ian Ogilivy
Simon Dutton
Val Kilmer?

Who would be a good future Saint?

Hugh Grant
Hugh Jackman
Clive Owen
Pierce Brosnan
Geoffrey Moore
any other?

Hugh Jackman, Sam Worthington or Matthew Goode. Someone who can bring in the right amount of sophistication.

#128 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

I haven't read all this thread but I gather Sir Roger Of Moore is to join James Purefoy in a new take on THE SAINT filming in the Autumn.

#129 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

I haven't read all this thread but I gather Sir Roger Of Moore is to join James Purefoy in a new take on THE SAINT filming in the Autumn.

Isn't that out? Purefoy left the project for a similar series. Anyways we have Burn Notice to fill the gap for the moment.

#130 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Really; a Fisker? That's proper expensive, ultra-exclusive stuff there. Sort of fits the Saint of the books too as it's a marque no-one has heard of! B)

Goodness gracious me, as you say. Expensive and exclusive.

The Hirondel (in the books) was actually a make that didn't exist. (Not sure if you were aware of this but quite possibly you are).

Maybe even too, the Furillac. I stuck an image search in for this word and stick figures and P1800s popped up.

Ian - I didn't think this was a fictional car too. Is this right?

That said, I did an Image search for the Hirondel and this popped up.

#131 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

The Hirondel (in the books) was actually a make that didn't exist. (Not if you were aware of this but quite possibly you are).

Yes indeed- hence no-one having heard of it! :tdown:

I was praying for an old restored P-1800 B)

I'm glad it wasn't, but I had a Jag XK pegged as the next car, maybe an XFR or even the coupe version. This is a surprising choice! It certainly has a lot of presence though: good stuff.

#132 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

Yes, he's British and I can tell you it's not Damian Lewis. Neither is it the Saintly equivalent of Daniel Craig.

And I was so hoping for Kevin McKidd! Actually my top choices would be Richard Armitage, Rupert Penry-Jones, Ioan Gruffudd and Toby Stephens.

Ooh yes: Toby Stephens. Yes, I could see him doing it- especially after his wonderful turn in Robin Hood a few weeks back. But then he only turned 40 a couple of months back, so I don't think he's the guy Ian was talking about...

#133 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Where was this revealed, Ian? And do I take it it's the truth as far as you know?

It heavily featured in the latest script that I received a couple of days ago. This was a rewrite with the directors input and since the producers have been saying for ages that the new Saint would be a more ecologically friendly Saint, I've no reason to doubt them.

Ian

Isn't that out? Purefoy left the project for a similar series. Anyways we have Burn Notice to fill the gap for the moment.

Mr Purefoy is most definitely out. As for the other casting, I couldn't possibly comment...

Ian

Goodness gracious me, as you say. Expensive and exclusive.

The Hirondel (in the books) was actually a make that didn't exist. (Not sure if you were aware of this but quite possibly you are).

Maybe even too, the Furillac. I stuck an image search in for this word and stick figures and P1800s popped up.

Ian - I didn't think this was a fictional car too. Is this right?

That said, I did an Image search for the Hirondel and this popped up.

Yes, the Furillac is also a fictional car.

Ian

#134 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

I was praying for an old restored P-1800 :tdown:

I'm glad it wasn't, but I had a Jag XK pegged as the next car, maybe an XFR or even the coupe version. This is a surprising choice! It certainly has a lot of presence though: good stuff.

Of course I was hoping for an old restored 1800 for selfish reasons, I have one and would like to see the popularity and value increase B)

Obviously I would not be opposed to the Saint driving a Jag once again.

#135 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

I was praying for an old restored P-1800 :tdown:

Of course I was hoping for an old restored 1800 for selfish reasons, I have one and would like to see the popularity and value increase B)

Obviously I would not be opposed to the Saint driving a Jag once again.

Well I would hope the value doesn't go up yet. I've only just found a P1800 in very good condition with low mileage for 8 grand. Not bad at all for such a nice car. But then most folks probably don't want a P1800 other than Saint fans.

#136 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:06 AM

Ooh yes: Toby Stephens. Yes, I could see him doing it- especially after his wonderful turn in Robin Hood a few weeks back. But then he only turned 40 a couple of months back, so I don't think he's the guy Ian was talking about...

I quite enjoyed Robin Hood this year much to my surprise, and that was in no small part thanks to Toby Stephens' hilariously demented Prince John. Typically this was bound to be the BBC's cue to cancel the show. As for who's our Templar, I guess Jeremy Northam still looks the most likely, although I notice his new US show has been picked up for a series so I'd imagine he's going to be pretty busy.

Another thought occurred to me while watching TV this week. Well known, born in Britain, and in his forties - please Ian tell me that it isn't John Barrowman!

#137 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:43 AM

Typically this was bound to be the BBC's cue to cancel the show.

I think the fact that no B)er was watching it was the actual reason! :tdown:

#138 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

the producers have been saying for ages that the new Saint would be a more ecologically friendly Saint

Haha! That's just bizarre! B)
How does a fictional action hero become more ecologically friendly apart from driving a hybrid car? Do I take there'll be no more flying around the globe in this version then? The Saint will be keeping an eye on his carbon footprint? :tdown:

Can't wait for the new tie-in book:
The Saint Sorts Outs His Recycling

#139 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

the producers have been saying for ages that the new Saint would be a more ecologically friendly Saint

How does a fictional action hero become more ecologically friendly apart from driving a hybrid car? Do I take there'll be no more flying around the globe in this version then? The Saint will be keeping an eye on his carbon footprint? :tdown:

Actually it was aimed more at having the Saint tackle some of the folk--and I'm thinking primarily of industrialists--who are screwing up the planet as much as dictating what car he drives.

Ian

Another thought occurred to me while watching TV this week. Well known, born in Britain, and in his forties - please Ian tell me that it isn't John Barrowman!

Blimey. Who told you?

I can confirm that the new Saint is indeed...

...not John Barrowman.

Though his name has been mentioned...

Ian

#140 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Ian, you are killing us! When will things be official so you can let us know who the new Saint is????

#141 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Actually it was aimed more at having the Saint tackle some of the folk--and I'm thinking primarily of industrialists--who are screwing up the planet as much as dictating what car he drives.

Ian

Spoiler

is what I just got mental images of. Okay, not that protest exactly, but it was the first image on the Wiki page.

Edited by Tybre, 11 July 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#142 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Ian, you are killing us! When will things be official so you can let us know who the new Saint is????

I'm loathe to give a timetable cos this thing's dragged on for ages. But I understand our leading man likes the script and is in final negotiations. So when I know he's signed, I should be able to spill the beans...

Ian

#143 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

Arf! Well, that's fairly in keeping with how he used to go about his business- targeting people whose actions he found to be unethical.
Just as long as he does that thing, which I may be wrong but I don't think has been mentioned in any screen version of The Saint (perhaps the films, not sure), where he actually takes a percentage of the money he obtains by stopping these people. It's fairly important to me that we actually see how the Saint operates as a human being; we never saw where Roger got the money to buy his Volvo from, after all! B)
Though the Kilmer version was flawed in many ways, at least we knew where his money came from!

I can confirm that the new Saint is indeed...

...not John Barrowman.

Though his name has been mentioned...

Ian

Can't blame anyone for considering him; he's a likable star.

#144 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

but I don't think has been mentioned in any screen version of The Saint (perhaps the films, not sure), where he actually takes a percentage of the money he obtains by stopping these people. It's fairly important to me that we actually see how the Saint operates as a human being; we never saw where Roger got the money to buy his Volvo from, after all! B)
Though the Kilmer version was flawed in many ways, at least we knew where his money came from!

There was one episode in the Moore TV series where (in order to show changes in the current production model) where his volvo was blown up. At the end of the episode, ST showed up in a new Volvo and stated that is what he did with his share of the cut.

#145 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

Just as long as he does that thing, which I may be wrong but I don't think has been mentioned in any screen version of The Saint (perhaps the films, not sure), where he actually takes a percentage of the money he obtains by stopping these people. It's fairly important to me that we actually see how the Saint operates as a human being;

That being a point of much discussion at the moment...if the guys at Leverage can run off with the proceeds of their first swindle I don't see why the Saint can't resort to his old ways...

Ian

#146 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Mathew Marsden ..... looks, talk and smiles very Saintly. loan Gufford more suited ot take over Bond one day.

#147 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Mathew Marsden ..... looks, talk and smiles very Saintly.

I'd prefer somebody who can act.

#148 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:50 AM

I'd like to see Jonathon Rhys Meyers as Simon Templar...

#149 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

According to Sir Roger's official site, The Saint is due to start filming in Toronto in September and Sir Rog will have a small role in it. Of course Sir Rog has been overly optimistic before concerning the start date. What do you think Ian? Is this a possibility?

While scouring the net for Saintly news, I also stumbled upon this interesting story about a Saint TV show from aintitcool from nine years ago.

http://www.aintitcoo...274?q=node/5274

One wonders how true the story is and if this project has any connection to the current one, apart from a possible Canadian shoot. What's particularly interesting about it is the list of candidates said to be in the frame to play Templar - James Purefoy, Jeremy Northam, Greg Wise, Ioan Gruffudd, and Colin Wells.

We know about Purefoy's connection to the current project and perhaps the others were revisited. Ioan Gruffudd is under 40 so we know he isn't our Saint, and Colin Wells is out because he isn't a well known actor. Jeremy Northam has got to be the red hot favourite, but Greg Wise is a possible. I've got him down as second favourite right now.

#150 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

According to Sir Roger's official site, The Saint is due to start filming in Toronto in September and Sir Rog will have a small role in it. Of course Sir Rog has been overly optimistic before concerning the start date. What do you think Ian? Is this a possibility?

While scouring the net for Saintly news, I also stumbled upon this interesting story about a Saint TV show from aintitcool from nine years ago.

http://www.aintitcoo...274?q=node/5274

One wonders how true the story is and if this project has any connection to the current one, apart from a possible Canadian shoot. What's particularly interesting about it is the list of candidates said to be in the frame to play Templar - James Purefoy, Jeremy Northam, Greg Wise, Ioan Gruffudd, and Colin Wells.

We know about Purefoy's connection to the current project and perhaps the others were revisited. Ioan Gruffudd is under 40 so we know he isn't our Saint, and Colin Wells is out because he isn't a well known actor. Jeremy Northam has got to be the red hot favourite, but Greg Wise is a possible. I've got him down as second favourite right now.

September is a possibility particularly given that the script is nearly there. They're just trying to sort out a schedule with the leading man at the moment.

As far as I know the AICN story was completely true. Quite honestly for the last few years the same names have come up repeatedly every time a Saint show is mentioned so it's no great surprise. I think all of the men have been considered this time, except for Colin Wells. I don't recognise any of the actresses names, so I shall do some googling when I've posted this.

As far as I know Northam's committed to Miami Trauma.

Anyway, I've just posted news of the latest actor to pick up the halo at www.lesliecharteris.com. It's Simon Jones of Hitch-Hiker's fame. And no, I'm not kidding.

Ian