1078 replies to this topic

#91 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

I was wondering, is the Roger Moore starring Saint series worth getting on DVD? Most of the shows I've seen from that era are horribly dated, but I'd love to see Roger's other iconic role with my own eyes.

#92 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

I was wondering, is the Roger Moore starring Saint series worth getting on DVD? Most of the shows I've seen from that era are horribly dated, but I'd love to see Roger's other iconic role with my own eyes.

Hard to answer this one. I own the color series boxed set, but have watched only roughly half the episodes. I like the series, have for years. But like a lot of long-running series, you see the repitition creep in -- Templer stumbles onto a mystery, there's a pretty girl, punch-ups, usually a twist or two and an action scene to wrap things up.

I think a lot of '60s shows remain less dated than other eras, but that's just me. I think The Persuaders fares worse than The Saint does in this aspect. I've seen a lot of fans claim the earlier black and white series are the better stories. I've only seen a handfull of these, so I don't know.

I would say it depends on how much or a Roger Moore fan you are as to whether you should purchase it or not. If you are a big fan, The Saint is the best option of his TV work. Especially if you can find it at a good price.

#93 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the reply Turn.
I'd say I am a big fan of Moore, I admire him both as a person and as an actor (his talent is not appreciated enough these days), but I have not seen him in a lot of non-Bond roles due to his other movies' obscureness over here in Scandinavia (many of them are hard to find). My parents loved the Saint show, so I might follow your advice and check the web for a reasonably priced DVD collection (I would prefer to watch the colour series).

#94 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

I think a lot of '60s shows remain less dated than other eras, but that's just me. I think The Persuaders fares worse than The Saint does in this aspect. I've seen a lot of fans claim the earlier black and white series are the better stories. I've only seen a handfull of these, so I don't know.

Personally I prefer the Persuaders. It's got a much more tongue-in-cheek feel which means you can laugh along with it: The Saint is very straight laced and the plots are so light and straightforward that's it's almost a waste of time watching them: the Persuaders just has another level to it that makes it a fun watch. Plus you get genuine location work and some pretty surprisingly decent stunts at times too. And Roger and Tony are clearly having a ball.

#95 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

I actually prefer Roger Moore in the Saint than Bond. I grew up with him as the Saint and could never really accept him as Bond. It was like the Saint playing as James Bond. The black and white series are vastly superior to the colour ones. Mainly based on Charteris originals. By the time they got to colour they had run out of stories so many were written especially for the screen and were vastly inferior.

#96 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

I actually prefer Roger Moore in the Saint than Bond. I grew up with him as the Saint and could never really accept him as Bond. It was like the Saint playing as James Bond. The black and white series are vastly superior to the colour ones. Mainly based on Charteris originals. By the time they got to colour they had run out of stories so many were written especially for the screen and were vastly inferior.

I was going to say basically the same thing MarkA said. I own all The Saint episodes on either VHS or DVD and much prefer the earlier black & White episodes, but they are harder to find on DVD. I also prefer Moore as The Saint than I do as Bond.

#97 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

Personally I prefer the Persuaders. It's got a much more tongue-in-cheek feel which means you can laugh along with it: The Saint is very straight laced and the plots are so light and straightforward that's it's almost a waste of time watching them: the Persuaders just has another level to it that makes it a fun watch. Plus you get genuine location work and some pretty surprisingly decent stunts at times too. And Roger and Tony are clearly having a ball.

I also enjoy The Persuaders as well because it's just a little different than most action shows of the time. The chemistry of the two leads is one of the joys. I just sometimes can't help but be distracted by the whole '70s feel of it. But it's only a minor distraction.

#98 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

I own all The Saint episodes on either VHS or DVD and much prefer the earlier black & White episodes, but they are harder to find on DVD.

Actually the b/w episodes are only hard to find in the US. They are readily available overseas. I'm sure The Ghost Who Walks would have no problem finding them if not in his back yard than on the internet. If you like Roger you'll like his Saint.

#99 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:44 PM

I live in the States and imported both the black and white and color Network sets from the UK. You will need to get a DVD player that can be unlocked for region free and can play PAL video format. I purchased an Oppo DVD player about 3 years ago, and love it.

The Network sets are highly recommended. They put a lot of work into extras, commentaries and some other great stuff that A&E didn't do. You can purchase the sets from Amazon UK too.

I ended up getting The Return of the Saint set as well. I enjoyed watching those, but they were much harder to go through for me.

Is there any news on a new Saint project? I think it's a really hard thing to find the right actor to play the part. Roger Moore was great at it. I liked Val Kilmer in the part too, but the movie was not the best story.

It seems The Saint has always had a harder time finding the right lead to play The Saint...

#100 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:13 AM

It's been over a month since we last heard from Ian, and it was April 1st when he told us an announcement about the new Saint project was looking hopeful. I know these things can take an eternity to sort out, but I hope his absence from the board is not a sign of fresh problems. Perhaps Ian would be kind enough to return to the board to let us know the latest.

#101 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

It's been over a month since we last heard from Ian, and it was April 1st when he told us an announcement about the new Saint project was looking hopeful. I know these things can take an eternity to sort out, but I hope his absence from the board is not a sign of fresh problems. Perhaps Ian would be kind enough to return to the board to let us know the latest.

I'm afraid all I can really say for now is that negotiations are ongoing...on many subjects.

As soon as I'm allowed to, I will post whatever news I can.

Ian

#102 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

I'm afraid all I can really say for now is that negotiations are ongoing...on many subjects.

As soon as I'm allowed to, I will post whatever news I can.

Ian

B) Thanks for keeping us informed.

#103 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Er, excuse me, but what was the info we had so far?

How have we been informed?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I do not recall any kind of precise info besides "vague publicity", but perhaps that's just my perception.

I am serious about this, if anyone can actually sum up what we know so far, please, do be my guest.

Edited by Eurospy, 04 June 2009 - 07:18 PM.

#104 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I do not recall any kind of precise info besides "vague publicity", but perhaps that's just my perception.

I am serious about this, if anyone can actually sum up what we know so far, please, do be my guest.

Vague publicity? Ouch.

In summary:

Bill Macdonald and Geoffrey Moore have an option on the TV rights to The Saint. Geoffrey is Roger's son and Bill co-created the Rome series (and is working on the film)--an imdb search will of course show you the full list of his work.

They've had the option for a few years now and have worked through various ideas and methods of getting Mr Templar back on TV. One reason this has taken so long is because they're determined to do it right--to go back to the character's original philosophies and attitudes and bring him into the 21st Century. Both gentleman are fans of the original literary Saint and Bill in particular is keen to erase the bad memory of the Kilmer film, which he was heavily involved in during the early stages.

Probably the most well known plan was to have James Purefoy as the Saint with a script from Jorge Zamacona. That failed for various reasons, not least of which was Purefoy going to do The Philanthropist and the script being, well, UnSaintly.

Bill and Geoffrey have recognised this and also had to appreciate that they can't produce it independantly as was their original intent (to prevent network interference). They have independant and guaranteed financing in place for the pilot and Sony have signed on as a distributor. They have also presold the pilot film to 7 networks around the world.

Bill has rewritten the script--taking into account comments from a number of people familiar with the character--and it is looking much more Saintly. They are in deep negotiations with a possible leading man, who's keen to do it but is looking to make sure he's happy with all the principals behind the show. A director has signed on the dotted line. Still can't tell you whom either of them are yet, but when I can, I will.

As for me. well I run The Saint Club. Or try to anyway. And I've worked with the likes of Network DVD in bringing their Saint products to reality. I also put together the two Saint anthologies that Hodders published last year and they've put me in touch with a publisher who's interested in my biography of Leslie Charteris. I'm also a Consultant on this pilot film.

Nothing I post here is intended as publicity--simply as information for anyone interested in the project. Like many TV projects nowadays this has had a long gestation period, but the current plan is to start shooting this summer.

How's that?

#105 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Bill and Geoffrey have recognised this and also had to appreciate that they can't produce it independantly as was their original intent (to prevent network interference). They have independant and guaranteed financing in place for the pilot and Sony have signed on as a distributor. They have also presold the pilot film to 7 networks around the world.

Ooh- that sounds very positive. Thanks for the update Ian!

#106 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

I eagerly await more updates. Thank Ian.

#107 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

On the 22nd of July TCM is running several Sant movies. Pacific Time listings:

22 Wednesday
9:30 AM Saint Strikes Back, The (1939) The Saint helps a young beauty take vengeance on the mobsters who ruined her father. Cast: George Sanders, Wendy Barrie, Barry Fitzgerald. Dir: John Farrow. BW-64 mins
10:45 AM Saint In London, The (1939) The Saint's investigation of a counterfeiting ring uncovers a nest of spies. Cast: George Sanders, David Burns, Sally Gray. Dir: John Paddy Carstairs. BW-72 mins
12:00 PM Saint's Double Trouble, The (1940) Reformed jewel thief Simon Templer lands in hot water when a look-alike smuggles stolen goods out of Egypt. Cast: George Sanders, Jonathan Hale, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Jack Hively. BW-67 mins
1:15 PM Saint Takes Over, The (1940) Reformed jewel thief Simon Templar tries to help a police inspector who's been framed on bribery charges. Cast: George Sanders, Jonathan Hale, Wendy Barrie. Dir: Jack Hively. BW-70 mins
2:30 PM Saint In Palm Springs, The (1941) Reformed jewel thief Simon Templar's efforts to deliver a fortune in rare stamps are complicated by murder. Cast: George Sanders, Wendy Barrie, Jonathan Hale. Dir: Jack Hively. BW-66 mins,
3:45 PM Saint Meets The Tiger, The (1943) The Saint infiltrates a small English village run by smugglers. Cast: Hugh Sinclair, Jean Gillie, Clifford Evans. Dir: Paul L. Stein. BW-69 mins

So Saint fans, which of these are worth watching, and which are worth missing? Also, for those of us who haven't read any of the Charteris, where do your recommend we start?

#108 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

On the 22nd of July TCM is running several Sant movies. Pacific Time listings:

22 Wednesday
9:30 AM Saint Strikes Back, The (1939) The Saint helps a young beauty take vengeance on the mobsters who ruined her father. Cast: George Sanders, Wendy Barrie, Barry Fitzgerald. Dir: John Farrow. BW-64 mins
10:45 AM Saint In London, The (1939) The Saint's investigation of a counterfeiting ring uncovers a nest of spies. Cast: George Sanders, David Burns, Sally Gray. Dir: John Paddy Carstairs. BW-72 mins
12:00 PM Saint's Double Trouble, The (1940) Reformed jewel thief Simon Templer lands in hot water when a look-alike smuggles stolen goods out of Egypt. Cast: George Sanders, Jonathan Hale, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Jack Hively. BW-67 mins
1:15 PM Saint Takes Over, The (1940) Reformed jewel thief Simon Templar tries to help a police inspector who's been framed on bribery charges. Cast: George Sanders, Jonathan Hale, Wendy Barrie. Dir: Jack Hively. BW-70 mins
2:30 PM Saint In Palm Springs, The (1941) Reformed jewel thief Simon Templar's efforts to deliver a fortune in rare stamps are complicated by murder. Cast: George Sanders, Wendy Barrie, Jonathan Hale. Dir: Jack Hively. BW-66 mins,
3:45 PM Saint Meets The Tiger, The (1943) The Saint infiltrates a small English village run by smugglers. Cast: Hugh Sinclair, Jean Gillie, Clifford Evans. Dir: Paul L. Stein. BW-69 mins

So Saint fans, which of these are worth watching, and which are worth missing? Also, for those of us who haven't read any of the Charteris, where do your recommend we start?

Watch Strikes Back and London. Avoid Double Trouble unless you like unintentional comedies. If you have time watch the others, they're okay.

Surprised there's no Saint in New York screening.

As for books, I'd recommend you start with the early novels (such as The Saint in New York, The Last Hero, Getaway etc.) or collections of short stories such as The Brighter Buccaneer and The Saint Intervenes. Some of the latterday books and collaborations, like The Saint in Pursuit, betray their comic book origins, but others like The Saint and the Templar Treasure are rather good.

Or just go and buy The Best of the Saint vols. 1 and 2 which I put together for Hodder & Stoughton last year.

Ian

#109 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

I am a big fan of The Saint. I have read all the Charteris novels and also have what has been made to date in the color and B&W DVD sets. I think Moore was the perfect actor for the role.

4A

#110 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:13 AM

Or just go and buy The Best of the Saint vols. 1 and 2 which I put together for Hodder & Stoughton last year.

Ah! Thank you Ian, for all the very helpful advice. I will seek out those volumes. I'm sure Charteris would appreciate your efforts in making his work available to new readers.

#111 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

Vague publicity? Ouch.

In summary:

Bill Macdonald and Geoffrey Moore have an option on the TV rights to The Saint. Geoffrey is Roger's son and Bill co-created the Rome series (and is working on the film)--an imdb search will of course show you the full list of his work.

They've had the option for a few years now and have worked through various ideas and methods of getting Mr Templar back on TV. One reason this has taken so long is because they're determined to do it right--to go back to the character's original philosophies and attitudes and bring him into the 21st Century. Both gentleman are fans of the original literary Saint and Bill in particular is keen to erase the bad memory of the Kilmer film, which he was heavily involved in during the early stages.

Probably the most well known plan was to have James Purefoy as the Saint with a script from Jorge Zamacona. That failed for various reasons, not least of which was Purefoy going to do The Philanthropist and the script being, well, UnSaintly.

Bill has rewritten the script--taking into account comments from a number of people familiar with the character--and it is looking much more Saintly. They are in deep negotiations with a possible leading man, who's keen to do it but is looking to make sure he's happy with all the principals behind the show. A director has signed on the dotted line. Still can't tell you whom either of them are yet, but when I can, I will.

As for me. well I run The Saint Club. Or try to anyway. And I've worked with the likes of Network DVD in bringing their Saint products to reality. I also put together the two Saint anthologies that Hodders published last year and they've put me in touch with a publisher who's interested in my biography of Leslie Charteris. I'm also a Consultant on this pilot film.

Nothing I post here is intended as publicity--simply as information for anyone interested in the project. Like many TV projects nowadays this has had a long gestation period, but the current plan is to start shooting this summer.

How's that?

Thanks Ian! I look forward to hearing some Saint news very soon. Thanks for all of your hard work with The Saint too. I recommend the Network DVD sets of The Saint to everyone I know that is interested in The Saint. They are very well done!

Watch for the sign of The Saint, he will be back!

I am a big fan of The Saint. I have read all the Charteris novels and also have what has been made to date in the color and B&W DVD sets. I think Moore was the perfect actor for the role.

4A

Nice. I'm a big fan of the Roger Moore series as well. Have you tried watching the Return of The Saint? I found myself enjoying that series at times too. Network DVD did a really nice set of it. Roger Moore will always be my favorite Saint though.

It's a tall order to find someone that is similar but maybe a more updated version for the part in a new project I think.

#112 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

I just saw this article:
http://www.guardian....c-british-us-tv

Very impressive that Merlin is showing on NBC; the first British show to be aired on a US network in around 30 years! But they also mention The Philanthropist which they say is being made in London at the moment for NBC. This is the series which was to be The Saint, of course; very positive for them that they have a US Network lined up. I hope any new version of The Saint can do the same.

#113 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

Just read through all this. A really interesting thread that has made me want to explore The Saint beyond the Roger Moore television series.

I just hope the latest Simon Templar shows some respect for the original material. (I still can't believe that Eon cast a bulldozer as the latest Bond.)

#114 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

on a US network in around 30 years! But they also mention The Philanthropist which they say is being made in London at the moment for NBC. This is the series which was to be The Saint, of course; very positive for them that they have a US Network lined up. I hope any new version of The Saint can do the same.

Erm, what's your basis for saying this?

The Philanthropist was never meant to be The Saint. Yes, The Saint lost some key personnel both in front of and behind the camera to the show, but that's where the similiarity ends. And as it turns out those behind the camera never made it on to the show anyway.

As I've said earlier in this thread I've seen The Philanthropist's pilot script and well, by way of trying to be polite, I really hope they've improved on it.

Ian

#115 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

Oh okay; sorry that's how I thought it all unravelled. It was all a while ago and obviously I'm not as involved in the production as you are.

Sorry to offend you.

#116 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

Oh okay; sorry that's how I thought it all unravelled. It was all a while ago and obviously I'm not as involved in the production as you are.

Sorry to offend you.

Mark,

Don't apologise--I'm not offended. There is a story to tell about The Saint and The Philanthropist but for now I'm just keen that there be a solid dividing line between the two shows!

Ian

#117 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

Just saw a commercial for The Philanthropist on NBC last night. Hard to tell what it's even about from what they showed. Maybe that's the idea! LOL

I also read that Purefoy will appear as Neve Campbell's ex-boyfriend in a new show she's doing. Hard to imagine either of those projects looking better to him than The Saint, but what do I know?

#118 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

Just saw a commercial for The Philanthropist on NBC last night. Hard to tell what it's even about from what they showed. Maybe that's the idea! LOL

I also read that Purefoy will appear as Neve Campbell's ex-boyfriend in a new show she's doing. Hard to imagine either of those projects looking better to him than The Saint, but what do I know?

What may have looked better about those shows over The Saint is that the other shows have all the financing / backing all together.

#119 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

What may have looked better about those shows over The Saint is that the other shows have all the financing / backing all together.

Oh well, sure, if you want to get paid...

Good point, though. Given history, I'll believe a new Saint production when I see it. If then.

#120 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

I don't want to turn this into a philanthropical thread and this'll probably seem like I'm crowing (I'm not, I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what the show turns out like) but I'm astounded and somewhat dismayed by the strength of the negative previews;

http://www.miamihera...ry/1109772.html
http://www.usatoday....st24_st.art.htm
http://www.latimes.c...0,6735501.story

The show doesn't have a chance. Does it deserve one? We'll soon see...

Ian