103 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

To homage such a great film I made a wallpaper.

I invite everyone to post the best pictures of the film in this thread.

Attached Files

#2 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

The defining Bond introduction: :(

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/267/georgelazenbyei6.jpg
"Good morning; my name's Bond, James Bond!"

#3 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

There's a great build-up to that moment (the stuff with Bond rescuing Tracy from the ocean is pure gold), but I don't like that reveal. His delivery is just a bit too playful and cocky for me. I'd prefer something more restrained, with a bit more concern.

#4 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Whilst certainly good, I don't think it's the best introduction of a Bond by any means. I think I'd only place it above the first shots of Moore and Dalton (I admit to having a soft spot for the GOLDENEYE introduction...)

On a more officious note to Mr Blofeld, I think that screencap will need to be removed from image tags as it is taken directly from an EON Production.

#5 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:25 PM

The defining Bond introduction: ;)

There's a great build-up to that moment (the stuff with Bond rescuing Tracy from the ocean is pure gold), but I don't like that reveal. His delivery is just a bit too playful and cocky for me. I'd prefer something more restrained, with a bit more concern.

Well, this woman's just tried to kill herself, but she's a little sore that he's taken the mick out of her suicide attempt, so, hey, why not try and be a little lively? :)

On a more officious note to Mr Blofeld, I think that screencap will need to be removed from image tags as it is taken directly from an EON Production.

It's not the direct screencap; I've cropped the top and bottom and changed up the contrast and brightness.

Also, the original post does say, "I invite everyone to post the best pictures of the film in this thread", does it not? :(

If it's really that bad, I'll edit the picture further. :)

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

I adore this movie, I really want to watch this now, but I'm going to wait until christmas eve. :(

And for the record, I LOVE the PTS too. It sets Lazenby up perfectly.

#7 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

BTW, What happened to our beloved www.ohmss-007.com?

Link's dead :(

#8 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

Last time I checked, CBn didn't allow posting stills from Bond movies.

#9 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

Shouldn't this be the 39th anniversary thread?

#10 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

Did anybody else think that the shot by shot build up to the car chase in QOS was reminiscent to the shots of Lazenby in his Aston in OHMSS? Never heard this mentioned before, but I must admit, I got bored with the constant negativity towards QOS very quickly.

OHMSS is one of the greatest action adventure thrillers ever made. One of the top 3 Bonds ever made (perhaps it IS the best). And Lazenby is criminally under-rated. There are many moments where he just NAILS the part.

#11 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:52 AM

Did anybody else think that the shot by shot build up to the car chase in QOS was reminiscent to the shots of Lazenby in his Aston in OHMSS? Never heard this mentioned before, but I must admit, I got bored with the constant negativity towards QOS very quickly.

OHMSS is one of the greatest action adventure thrillers ever made. One of the top 3 Bonds ever made (perhaps it IS the best). And Lazenby is criminally under-rated. There are many moments where he just NAILS the part.

Didn't notice that til you mentioned it but I can sure see some resemblance; the quick shots of the face, the car. Hmmmmm.

#12 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

Technically, yes. The 40th anniversary is next year. To commemorate the event, it’s returning to the big screen in digital format at the Barbican. How I would love to be there.

#13 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

The barbican? where Quantum of Solace was filmed? Is that a theater?

#14 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Jesus - 40 years?????!!!! When did that happen?!

#15 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

The 40th anniversary is next year. To commemorate the event, it’s returning to the big screen in digital format at the Barbican. How I would love to be there.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm very keen to go to this. One of my best mates is a diehard ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE fan, and would probably be very keen also.

The barbican? where Quantum of Solace was filmed? Is that a theater?

Yes, it's a massive complex in central London which holds lots of events pertaining to the arts, and also conferences, I believe.

#16 Auric64

Auric64

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

Jesus - 40 years?????!!!! When did that happen?!

Er...40 years ago, perhaps? LOL.

Thanks for the heads up about OHMSS being screened again next year.

Let`s hope the Barbican will have more than one showing for this excellent Bond film, then people who haven`t seen it before can go along and see why most of us make such a fuss over it.

It would be great if there could be some kind of "premiere" at the Barbican to celebrate it`s 40th anniversary. Hopefully George would attend, and whilst Savalas is dead and Rigg wouldn`t be interested, there are more than enough of the cast still alive who could be there to get the tabloid`s involved, and achieve TV and newspaper coverage. Perhaps Graham Rye and the Bond fan club could organise this.

Ten years ago I attended the 40th anniversary of the 1958 Hammer film DRACULA, at the National Film Theatre in London, and present at the screening was Christopher Lee, and other members of the surviving cast, and it was a fantastic event. Former snooty film critics who had panned the film when it first came out, now reassessed it, and finally hailed it as a classic. Something us Hammer fans had known for years!

It would be fantastic if OHMSS could be reassessed in a positive way by today`s critics, as opposed to some of the negative criticisms it received, 40 years previously.

Best

Andy

Edited by Auric64, 19 December 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#17 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

Technically, yes. The 40th anniversary is next year. To commemorate the event, it’s returning to the big screen in digital format at the Barbican. How I would love to be there.

Wow I'm really gonna try and make that!

#18 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

Whoa... I was just watching OHMSS this morning!

I can't wait to hear what Lazenby has to say.

#19 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

This film is a masterpiece! It's the perfect film for Christmas Eve and I'll certainly try and watch it this year, altough I don't think that my parents will allow me!

#20 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

New Wallpapers (1024 x 768)

Bond
http://img371.images...1024x768cm0.jpg

Tracy
http://img389.images...1024x768xr2.jpg

Blofeld
http://img384.images...1024x768sl0.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Bond
http://img293.images...d1024x76zh7.jpg

#21 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

Nice work on the wallpapers.
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a true masterpiece and deserves some recognition.

#22 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

I hope that OHMSS, though it's part of a series, someday comes to be regarded as a classic, alongside Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and The Third Man. B)

#23 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

I hope that OHMSS, though it's part of a series, someday comes to be regarded as a classic, alongside Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and The Third Man. B)

It is by me, hehe, in my personal top 10 movies of all time, OHMSS is #10. Casablanca and The Third Man are #1 and #2.

Anyway, I hope that it will be regarded as a classic as well, and not just by a few, but by lots of film fans and critics.

#24 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

It's pretty darn unlikely it will ever "generally" be considered to be on the Casablanca plain, I'm afraid.

#25 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

I watch this film pretty much every year. It's amazing how the action manages to feel a lot more edgy, fresh and modern than pretty much anything you see in today's movies. The biggest crime of the series was that Peter Hunt only directed one movie.

Lazenby is insanely underrated in the part. I am one of the people who believe had he not done the dumbest career decision in Hollywood history and walked away from his seven-film contract, he would probably have ended up being the best Bond by far.

Edited by The Ghost Who Walks, 24 March 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#26 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

For many years, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service was the only Bond film that I hadn't seen. So, when I first saw On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, after seeing years and years of Connery, Moore and Brosnan, I was kind of ehhh. But, after seeing it several more times, I started to like it. Mind you, it's not one of my all time favorites, but it's very well done. I would absolutely watch it over again! I think that one of the reasons that I like it is that it's "real," meaning no gadgets, and real emotions (especially at the end with Tracy. :tdown: Probably one of the greatest (and saddest) endings to a film ever.) But, with that being said, I really like On Her Majesty’s Secret Service! B)

#27 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

(especially at the end with Tracy. B) Probably one of the greatest (and saddest) endings to a film ever.)

People can blaim Lazenby all they want, I am convinced the reason this film wasn't as successfull as the other movies in the series up to that point was because of the downer of an ending. I love it, it's incredibly moving, but word of mouth must have spread about the "new Bond's depressing ending".

#28 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

It's pretty darn unlikely it will ever "generally" be considered to be on the Casablanca plain, I'm afraid.

Yep, it's unlikely to be considered on any plain for that matter. Sad but true. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, though. I love it to bits and that's all that matters.

#29 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Happy Anniversary OHMSS

#30 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

Yep, it's unlikely to be considered on any plain for that matter. Sad but true. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, though.

As it shouldn't, nor should it for anyone else.