Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Inspired by Harmsway's ideas on the previous page, I dreamed this up:

DANIEL CRAIG
as
IAN FLEMING'S
JAMES BOND OO7
in

Risico

Tokyo, Japan. Brothers, and yakuza bosses Tetsuro and Torao "Tiger" Tanaka arrive at a meeting with (off camera) Quantum boss Mr Krest. They tell him they're unhappy with his organisation and wish to leave. The meeting is revealed to be a trap, Tetsuro is killed but we see Tiger escape.
Action moves to a log cabin in the Swiss Alps. We hear subtle hints of the Bond theme as a girl wakes the man next to her, telling him she's heard something outside. We see his silhouette as he rises, quickly dresses and grabs his Walther. The cabin is suddenly rocked by machine gun fire. He pursues the attackers on skis. In a breathtaking chase, weaving in and out of trees, he dispatches them one by one before coming to a halt. He takes off his ski mask and reveals that, actually he isn't James Bond - just as two gun shots ring out and he falls dead. The gunman emerges, stands over him saying, "Bad luck 008."
Now in Istanbul, Turkey and we see Mr White entering the Aga Sophia cathedral. In a quiet corner he meets the assassin who dispatched 008, who asks, "Which one's next?". White hands him a file - inside is Bond's photo.

TITLES

London. Bond arrives at Vauxhall Cross where his secretary, Loelia Ponsonby takes him straight into a meeting with M and senior CIA representatives, including Felix Leiter. M tells him she's agreed to allow the CIA to take over the pursuit of Quantum as she can't afford to lose more double O agents to the Quantum's chief assassin, Simon Risico. Bond isn't best pleased and glares at Felix as he storms out.
That night Bond is invited to a formal party at the US embassy. Felix arrives with a beautiful companion in tow. As they mingle amongst the other partygoers, Bond approaches Felix's girl. We see them in flagrante upstairs as Felix searches for her.
Now early in the morning and Bond leaves, pleased with himself. As he does so shots are fired at him from a passing car. He gets into his Aston Martin and there follows a pursuit through the almost deserted streets of London - culminating in the two cars crashing into shop windows in Knightsbridge. Bond wins the ensuing fist fight then is narrowly missed by bullets fired by Risico, who is in a nearby building with a sniper rifle. Bond goes after him on foot and, in shades of Goldfinger, fits a tracker to his car.
Bond follows him to Paris where the two men find themselves playing baccarat together. During the game their conversation becomes increasingly disturbing as we realise Risico's admiration of Bond goes beyond professional respect. Bond wins, but as Risico leaves a distant explosion is heard. Smiling, Risico flirts and teases Bond, dropping a hint about Syria.
On tv, Bond sees that a visiting Israeli politician has been murdered by Risico's bomb and that Israel has warned that it will not tolerate no more assassination attempts on it's leaders - although a visit to Damascus will go ahead. Realising that Quantum is trying to stir up war in the Middle East, Bond heads for Syria.
In Damascus Bond succeeds in stopping the murder of another politician although once more Risico escapes. Bond, thinking the job's done and the adventure over, takes a Syrian lovely to his hotel room but they're rudely interrupted by a pair of CIA heavies. Felix enters the room, punches Bond in the face - a gesture which Bond agrees that he deserved - before Felix asks him to go after Quantum on the CIA's behalf. He tells him that Risico is based in Japan where Felix has an underworld contact - Dikko Henderson, an Australian underworld figure and scallywag who'll do the CIA's bidding in return for staying out of jail.
Bond arrives in Tokyo and is met by Henderson who arranges a meeting with the vengeful Tiger Tanaka - over a game of golf.
On the golf course we see Tiger beating a disloyal employee half to death with a nine iron as Bond and Henderson (caddying) arrive. There follows a golf match and a discussion about the finer points of honour and vengeance. Tiger speaks through his interpreter, bodyguard and niece – Kissy, Tetsuro's duaghter.
Impressed by Bond, Tiger arranges a geisha party – but it's rudely broken up by yakuza gunmen loyal to Quantum. A motorcycle chase through Tokyo ends with the discovery that Henderson and Kissy have been captured along with many of the rest of Tiger's people.
Tiger knows where they will have been taken – to a castle on an island off Japan owned by Quantum. There, the sadistic Risico keeps his Garden of death, filled with poisonous plants and animals, for his own amusement.
Tiger, his remaining men and Bond station themselves on an island near the castle.
Mr Krest, still off camera, Mr White, Risico and other members of Quantum are gathered inside, Risico provides a curious form of entertainment - broadcasting the garden of death on a big screen as the captives try desperately to survive. Henderson dies but Bond arrives in time to save Kissy and they escape into the castle as Tiger's men arrive by helicopter.
Krest escapes as Tiger's men shoot anything that moves and plant explosives, before escaping, but Bond is tried up in a sword fight with Risico. He finally wins the duel then finds himself looking directly at a terrified Mr White as the charges go off and the castle is destroyed.
London and we hear M's voice reading Bond's obituary over footage of a memorial service and Loelia Ponsoby shedding a few tears at her desk before MI6 gets on with business as usual. The obituary is revealed to be merely a small, innocuous column in the back of The Times.
We then see Bond, unconscious and floating in the sea. From his point of view we see shaky, disjointed images of a helicopter, Kissy, Tiger and Felix.
In the final scene we see Felix leaving by helicopter, his lips sealed as the island Bond has been taken to disappears into the distance.
Fade out.

James Bond will return in The Hildebrand Rarity.

#92 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Nice job, Scrambled Eggs. :(

#93 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

Yes! I like that idea alot. Great job. :(

#94 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:26 AM

(I borrowed the first bit from Harmsway; hope he doesn't mind ...)

ALBERT R. BROCCOLI'S
EON PRODUCTIONS
presents

DANIEL CRAIG
as
IAN FLEMING'S
JAMES BOND OO7
in

THE HILDEBRAND RARITY

James Bond is called into action when Parisian police find a body in Paris' La Defence district. Normally, this would not be cause to get Britain's intelligence organisations involved, but this is no ordinary murder: the body in question is that of an aeronautics engineer working on a top-secret government project known as HILDEBRAND, and directly realted to the success of the "Patriot" missile defence shield to be constructed in nearby Germany.

Bond learns that before his murder, the engineer had been working wih researchers from a university in Paris studying the common honey bee. Despite being reliatvely simple creatures, bees have an exceptional capacity to attack an aggressr, particularly when it is a moving target and constantly changing direction. The HILDEBRAND Project involved studying bees and forming a computer program based on their behaviour to be adapted into missle defence technology. This program would allow anti-ballistic missiles to track and intercept incoming ballistic missiles with exceptional accuracy.

There is, however, a problem: HILDEBRAND doesn't work as it should. Swarms of bees as a whole are incredibly accurate, but individual bees are not, and the programmers cannot account for this. In order to be as effective as intended, the "Patriot" system would have to lunch hundreds of missiles at once. Not only is this ineffective and expensive, it would prove exeptionally difficult to constantly update the missiles in real-time without them colliding into one another.

The murdered engineer learned of this problem, and so entered the world of industrial espionage, selling a working version of the product on the black market. Whoever makes HILDEBRAND work stands to receive a fortune in defence contracts from European governments, giving exceptional incentive for murder. Bond enters the fray, delving into industrial espionage as he tries to determine the killer's identity: the buyer, who killed the engineer to stop him blowing the whistle or receiving profits; the former employer, who killed the engineerto stop HILDEBRAND entering the market; or a terrorist faction who have raided an ex-Soviet arms depot in Sevastopol and are looking for any weakness in Europe's armour before launching an attack (this is later revealed to be a ruse organised by Bond in an effort to flush the killer out because the perceived threat makes it easier for him to intimidate them into talking).

Some notes:
- For director, I'd nominate Edward Zwick. I liked what he did with THE SIEGE, THE LAST SAMURAI and BLOOD DIAMOND. Plus he worked with Daniel Craig on DEFIANCE (even if it's not getting rave reviews, the direction in the trailer catches my eye). If he's not avaialble, I'm tempted by Steven Soderbergh ...
- For the score, I'm going to run with David Newman. He was tasked with merging music from a western with Asian-influenced instruments for SERENITY, and it was fantastic, especially the landing on Lilac (if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean).
- Purvis and Wade would be gone, as would Zetumer. Paul Hagis would only stay on in a script doctor capacity; I'm not sure who the main writer would be. I'm tempted to pick Joss Whedon, but I think there needs to be someone there with him if he does it at all (he'd do one awesome Bond Girl, that's for sure). Maybe J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame with Michael G Wilson around to keep an eye on things? Or something; I don't really know.
- In terms of locations, THE HILDEBRAND RARITY would be pretty limited. France, England, Germany and the Ukraine would all play parts, but Bond would only be in the first three (despite instigating events in Sevastopol). It would be pretty light on action, too; the only real action scene I can envision is a car chase through an old German tank proving ground where the broken-up tarmac is constantly lined by "dragon blocks", cubic-metre blocks of reinforced cement designed to keep tanks on the roads. As an alternative, the roads used during the Isle of Man TT could be used (not as the Isle of Man, but as somewhere in Germany or something).

#95 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

This one hit me when I was walking the dog. What about a biohazard terror event that Bond gets invlolved in? Now I'm not going as far to say along the lines of Resident Evil we can leave that to Chris Redfield. But what if a secret organization, "quantum" were to obtain the only two pieces of a knew found deadly disease and were demanding the world to pay a large ransom otherwise they would be release it in a major city in the US or England. Much along the lines of Thunderball.

#96 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

That might have worked in the SPECTE era, but if anyone tried that in today's day and age - ie hold the world to ransom - it's likely they'd be paid in lead by a group of special forces operatives.

#97 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

I actually like the idea, and I think that the idea could work, given that Quantum has no real central base like SPECTRE did in the old films. Quantum appears to be a much more fluid organization than SPECTRE in terms of being able to hide, so if they were to try to launch such an operation, it might be hard to track them down with special forces.

#98 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

I actually like the idea, and I think that the idea could work, given that Quantum has no real central base like SPECTRE did in the old films. Quantum appears to be a much more fluid organization than SPECTRE in terms of being able to hide, so if they were to try to launch such an operation, it might be hard to track them down with special forces.

Also take into account that it doesn't need to be made up entirely of criminals. You could have corrupt officials ie. Haines and others who would appear to be on the good side.

#99 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

Also take into account that it doesn't need to be made up entirely of criminals. You could have corrupt officials ie. Haines and others who would appear to be on the good side.

Absolutely. For all of these reasons, Quantum is a much more fluid organization than SPECTRE, and would be more likely able to pull off such a plot (or at least be in a position to get the process in motion before being thwarted by someone) than SPECTRE ever would have been.

#100 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:16 AM

ALBERT R. BROCCOLI'S
EON PRODUCTIONS
presents

DANIEL CRAIG
as
IAN FLEMING'S
JAMES BOND OO7
in

THE PROPERTY OF A LADY

A young woman is thrown into a prison cell in a unknown location. She is mostly naked and has been in captivity for so long, but she has hope: using stoned mobile telephone, she dials a number scratched into the wall with the inscription "HELP" alongside it. Although she does not know it, her call will have dire consequences and set of a chain of events with devastating consequences.

James Bond is in Paris on mandatory (read: forced) vacation. After a one-night stand with American journalist Gala Brand, he is in an out-of-the-way cafe when a woman entering the establishment answer her ringing phone. As soon as she presses the receive button, a car bomb goes off outside, devastating the building. Inside the building, Bond and a handful of patrons are alright, but the woman answering her phone has been killed. Gala Brand - waiting outside until now - has been injured, and Bond takes her to hospital.

There, he meets Steliana - better known as Stella - a Russian-born woman who worked as a waitress at the cafe. He soon learns that there is a lot more to this than meets the eye, as the cafe is actually a front. It was owned and operated by the dead woman, who was a social worker from the former Soviet republic of Moldova. The post-Soviet era has seen very hard times befall Europe's poorest nation; with sixty-eight per cent of women being unemployed, many are illegally trafficked across international borders. Stella and the social worker were repatriation agents, people who retrieved trafficked women and return them to their homelands. Stella intiailly distrusts Bond because he is a man (a former boyfrind sold her into slavery herself), but Bond points out that the game became much more dangerous: he is convinced that by answering the phone call, the social worker set off the bomb that killed her.

Bond and Stella team up and break into the morgue, retrieving the SIM card from the phone as it is the only way for women in trouble to contact outside help. They travel to Rocamador in southern France to seek the aid of a former Interpol officer (played by Alan Rickman) who is the only other person to know the full extent of the network. After discussing the situation, they move on to a commune on the Isle of Sylt, where repatriated women who cannot go home are kept in secrecy until a new home can be found. From there, they trace the counter-trafficking route back across Europe. The Interpol inspector is an Israeli who formerly chased down escaped Nazis, and often went through the 'rat-trails', the secretive routes SS members escaping justice used. The trail leads down through Italy, into Albania and across to the port of Odessa.

Along the way, they have to contend with the Russian mafia trying to regain their hold on the illegal sex trade, finding the person within the network who sold them out (and no, it's not Rickman's character), and Gala Brand relentlessly pursuing Bond in the belief she has found the kind of story that end with Pulitzer (as opposed to writing the story because people should know of what is happening).

I think a film like that would be interesting, because of Bond's relationship with women in general contrasted against the animal-like treatment some of these people go through. That's not to say Bond is a sex fiend, but rather that he is portrayed as something of a womaniser.

#101 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

I've always wanted to see a Bond movie that would have him thrown into the plot. Like some big political meeting and M sends him to watch over or he is just there and there is an assination attempt but it is just to cover up something bigger.

My thoughts, exactly.

#102 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

I've always wanted to see a Bond movie that would have him thrown into the plot. Like some big political meeting and M sends him to watch over or he is just there and there is an assination attempt but it is just to cover up something bigger.

My thoughts, exactly.

That's what I was getting at with the treatment for THE PROPERTY OF A LADY in my previous post. Bond isn't assigned to work the case; he ends up a part of it as random happenstance when the cafe he is visiting is bombed. And as he's on official leave (ie M doesn't want to see his face until he's been rested and relaxed), he can't rely on MI6.

#103 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

My thoughts, exactly.

That's what I was getting at with the treatment for THE PROPERTY OF A LADY in my previous post. Bond isn't assigned to work the case; he ends up a part of it as random happenstance when the cafe he is visiting is bombed. And as he's on official leave (ie M doesn't want to see his face until he's been rested and relaxed), he can't rely on MI6.

... which would be a great way to set off Bond working alone without having him fired from MI6... again.

#104 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

You know, since Craig-Bond is probably going to be using codenames from now on during missions instead of his own, I had an idea... :(

I think it'd be nice to, in the next Bond film, have a scene where he checks into a hotel somewhere; as the receptionist finishes up with the last person's entry papers, Bond looks around and smiles to himself. The receptionist asks him his name, and he replies, "Mathison". Later in the film, he uses the name again on either the main villain or a local thug; when the man interrogates him a few scenes after, he says to Bond, "I believe I knew your father: Italian, lived for himself, dumped in a trash bin in Bolivia? He ratted me out for the Special Services after I made my first million."

The use would be two-fold: Mathis-son. Bond would remember Mathis' mistake of using his own name for cover, but would also have grown from being in Rene's company: Mathis was like a father to him, after all. :)

Neat idea, no? :)

#105 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

Nice idea, dude. :(

#106 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:39 AM

It's well-known that I hate the title "Risico" because it sounds like a mistranslation of an Italian word. But I think I've found a way to work exactly that into the story; a Russian mobster who styles himself on the Italians mis-pronouncing the word as ...

ALBERT R. BROCCOLI'S
EON PRODUCTIONS
presents

DANIEL CRAIG
as
IAN FLEMING'S
JAMES BOND OO7
in

RISICO

Vorkuta, Russia; 1957

A senior member of the NKVD is arrested by Soviet authorities and deported to the Vorkuta gulag in th forzen Siberian wastelands. His charge: the rape and sexually-motivated murders of young women in Moscow. But this is a lie spread by the Soviet authorites, designed to aggravate the vory v zakone (thieves-in-law) interred in the gulag. Staging a violent uprising, the vory all but tear the NKVD director apart for his crimes, killing a dangerous secret with him.

Patan (Laltipur), Nepal; 2009

A passenger jet from Beijing to New Delhi crashes over the Himalayas during renewed fighting between the Nepalese government and Marxist guerillas. In the midst of the war-torn countryside, James Bond is investigating the crash when he locates the flight data recorder. Disturbingly, the pilot reports having been shot down by a missile coming from the direction of the Indian Ocean. Bond learns that this is no accident: the flight was shot down because one of its passengers was a senior member of the Russian Mafiya.

The plot revolves around a secret held by the vory v zakone for the past fifty years: namely, that the Soviet government used them to murder one of their own in the Vorkuta gulag. The story of the rape and murder was started to cover up the fact that the NKVD agentwas instrumental in creating the Mongolian Socıalıst Republic, a satellite state of the USSR. The Russians isolated a tract of land known as the Ikh Khorig, or Great Taboo, which the used as a dumping ground for nuclear wastes and constructed a secret MIG airbase. The Ikh Khorig, however, is better-known as the (speculated) burial place of Ghengis Khan, a place that has been forbidden to outsiders for centuries.

Bond discovers that the passenger jet was shot down on the orders of a Russian mobster who wants full control of the Russian underworld (and beyond). He believes that because Ghenghis Khan was the only man to rule the world, that he was buried with something that allowed him to do that (precisely what is a MacGuffin). He intends to locate the tomb and take for himself whatever it was that Khan ued to create his empire; of course, it doesn't exist.

This plot, however, is probably better-suited to an Indiana Jones film ...

#107 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:10 AM

Probably not good for Bond 23 seeing Bond already flew a plane in QOS, but perhaps some later point, we could have a scene where Bond is forced to land a plane in Bhutan- their airport is probably the most diffucult to land in the world, and only 8 pilots are qualified to land planes there.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Paro_Airport

#108 maersk seeland

maersk seeland

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

my idea is that quantum isnt exactly a unified organization....there are seperate factions within it that have different goals....goals which sometimes clash with those of the organization as a whole........for bond 23 have some quantum members cause havoc in the middle east, threatening the stability of iraq as well as that of israel/palestine, so that this faction of quantum may profit from arms sales....however this threatens the interests of some other quantum members.......bond is sent to the middle east to foil the quantum faction and ends up unknowingly working with (and perhaps for) other quantum members to defeat the breakaway factions.....

#109 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

The Middle East is too politically voltile for a Bond film. Countless films dedicated to the subject have tried and failed very hard at including Arab-Israeli relations within the plot. About the only one that comes close is Spielberg's MUNICH, and that was set thirty years ago. James Bond is a markedly different film in terms of tone, and the film would be deeply unpopular in the region for over-simplifying the conflict, and maybe even having Bond takes sides.

In short, it's a very bad idea.

#110 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

The Middle East is too politically voltile for a Bond film. Countless films dedicated to the subject have tried and failed very hard at including Arab-Israeli relations within the plot. About the only one that comes close is Spielberg's MUNICH, and that was set thirty years ago. James Bond is a markedly different film in terms of tone, and the film would be deeply unpopular in the region for over-simplifying the conflict, and maybe even having Bond takes sides.

I don't think it's a bad idea, just not a correct one for Bond at the moment.

Other movies approaching the theme and failing, I wouldn't be so sure. I thought The Kingdom could have been better structured, for example, and I still have to watch Body of lies.

You have good ideas yourself, Cpt., so why not take the ones that might not be so Bondish and run with it?

Edited by Eurospy, 11 January 2009 - 02:42 PM.

#111 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea, just not a correct one for Bond at the moment.

Other movies approaching the theme and failing, I wouldn't be so sure. I thought The Kingdom could have been better structured, for example, and I still have to watch Body of lies.

You have good ideas yourself, Cpt., so why not take the ones that might not be so Bondish and run with it?

The only way I can see a Bond in the Middle East scenario is if he is given the call to go in and get somebody out because of the situation there, only to get more than he bargained for. Rather than confront the tensions between Israel and HAMAS directly, it would have to be demoted to something in the background. I can see Bond going into a warzone with rockets blowing chunks out of buidings all around him - even if it is a lot like METAL GEAR SOLID 4 - but I don't think the film can explain what is happening. After all, this is a three-thousand year conflict, and most likely it would only feature for twenty to thirty minutes within the film. If no-one can say with confidence how the fighting started - or even who started it - James Bond certainly can't.

I've seen THE KINGDOM, and I was actually quite looking forward to a film that could show the Middle East the way it really is, but I was incredibly disappointed with the stereotypes it painted. Seriously, if the Islamic world can get fired up over cartoons that appeared in a Danish newspaper, what do you think they'd do if Islam appeared inaccurately in a James Bond film?

#112 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

Good point regarding Bond.

Although when it comes to the extremes of religion (a subject that should probably be avoided here, but nonetheless...), I suspect that there were too many that didn't go to the same extremes because of Da Vinci Code simply due to fear of the law. The same going for Kevin Smith's excellent Dogma.

#113 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

I wasn't so much thinking about the religious context to it, but the complexity of the situation; the politics. From what I can gather, both Israel and HAMAS are trying to assert themselves and show that when it comes to re-negotiate a treaty or ceasefire or whatever, the other side should not take them lightly. But that's only this time around; I have no idea what has caused certain other episodes within the complex. What I was really getting at is that Bond can't be seen to show either side as being the antagonist. The events of the film can't depict HAMAS or Israel as being the one who started the fighitng, which is why I think demoting the war to background events is the only sensible way to do it.

#114 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

I wasn't so much thinking about the religious context to it, but the complexity of the situation; the politics. From what I can gather, both Israel and HAMAS are trying to assert themselves and show that when it comes to re-negotiate a treaty or ceasefire or whatever, the other side should not take them lightly. But that's only this time around; I have no idea what has caused certain other episodes within the complex. What I was really getting at is that Bond can't be seen to show either side as being the antagonist. The events of the film can't depict HAMAS or Israel as being the one who started the fighitng, which is why I think demoting the war to background events is the only sensible way to do it.

Having a war and conflict like that not in the film at all is the only way anyone would do it at all, I'm afraid. BOND rarely takes his stories from real life conflicts - IRA, BASQUE, AL QUAEDA, HAMAS, ISRAELIS....they are all box office landmines that should be navigated around.

It's not about being "politically volatile". It's about not gambling that the film will open on the weekend the same terrorists / freedom fighters the film features launch a slaughter offensive. Bond is always five minutes ahead of (or to the side of) the real global headlines anyway.

#115 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

Bond films have always been over-politics, races, religions etc. You cant show Bond an enemy of one of them. Bond aims to destroy the enemies of the world, or humankind.

#116 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

Having a war and conflict like that not in the film at all is the only way anyone would do it at all, I'm afraid. BOND rarely takes his stories from real life conflicts - IRA, BASQUE, AL QUAEDA, HAMAS, ISRAELIS....they are all box office landmines that should be navigated around.

It's not about being "politically volatile". It's about not gambling that the film will open on the weekend the same terrorists / freedom fighters the film features launch a slaughter offensive. Bond is always five minutes ahead of (or to the side of) the real global headlines anyway.

To-may-to, To-mah-to ...

#117 Bond Pacific

Bond Pacific

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

There are three ways to look at a villain.

Quantum buying out "The Union".

"The Union" buying out Quantum.

"The Union" merging with Quantum.

Which one would all of you prefer?

#118 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:04 AM

None of them. Like I said in the other thread, The Union is a creation of Raymond Benson, not EON. EON do not own the rights to it, and will not pursue them. Besides, Quantum buying out The Union or vice versa would never work even if they were included in a film: audiences need to see a resolution of the Quantum plot, not simply one villain supplanted by another. There's nothing The Union can do that Quantum cannot, and thus there is no need to have The Union in the Bond films, now or ever.

#119 Vanya86

Vanya86

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

None of them. Like I said in the other thread, The Union is a creation of Raymond Benson, not EON. EON do not own the rights to it, and will not pursue them. Besides, Quantum buying out The Union or vice versa would never work even if they were included in a film: audiences need to see a resolution of the Quantum plot, not simply one villain supplanted by another. There's nothing The Union can do that Quantum cannot, and thus there is no need to have The Union in the Bond films, now or ever.

I'd also like to add that there would be no point in going to all the trouble to set up an organisation like Quantum if you're just going to turn them into someone else (The Union, SPECTRE, whatever). We have this sinister organisations set up now, we should be trying to work out what makes them unique, not pushing them aside at the first opportunity.

#120 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

Personnaly even though i love the union and was honestly hoping the orgnization behind le Chiffe to be the union (which isn't exaclty a benson invention the Union comes from Ohmss and is Marco Draco's orgnization)

I love Quantum and I don't want them to change mid stream. I also don't want them to do some of the big overblown spectre styled heists. Quantum is a bit more subtle rather then hold the world to ransom they's create a computer virus that makes the stock market act in their favour. Much more subtle an sapproach then Spectre. and unlike Union i feel Quantum really just wants to go back behind the scenes and if it wasn't for le chiffe (and subsiquently 007) no one would know about them in bond's world and the cue would of gone as plan.

So as much as i love the union nope I want Quantum to remain well Quantum.