#92 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

My eyes hurt.

So, you DID see his pants get blown off then?

#93 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

My eyes hurt.

I meant from this thread. For a comedy thread, it's very nasty. Tomorrow I will see his pants get blown off and I'm sure I'll giggle like a small boy.

#94 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

My eyes hurt.

I meant from this thread. For a comedy thread, it's very nasty. Tomorrow I will see his pants get blown off and I'm sure I'll giggle like a small boy.

Well dear, I DID tell you to stay away from page 3.

btw - I read 'giggle' as 'gargle' for a split second. I'm so relieved...

#95 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

My eyes hurt.

I can gargle. If you want me to.

#96 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

My eyes hurt.

I can gargle. If you want me to.

<gulp>

(Merely a sound effect to portray fear and trembling. Not a 'response', per se.)

#97 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:49 AM

It's the shot *just* before the one of Greene running across the room. The one where the fire engulfs Elvis. Dude's had his pants blown off and is in undies.

Just look at his legs. There are no pants!

Yup, I finally got this when someone posted the Jimmy Kimmel Live interview with Daniel Craig in another thread, and they showed a clip of this scene:

Daniel Craig part 1 Jimmy Kimmel Live 11-13-08

Dunno why it took me so long to see it, as it seems perfectly obvious now! :(

Edited by byline, 02 December 2008 - 02:50 AM.

#98 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:51 AM

Good stuff, huh? Welcome to the wonderful world of Elvis, byline! :(

#99 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

My eyes hurt.

Thank you. I thought it was just Judo's clever strategies to keep the thread going. But, no, it has grown truly nasty.

#100 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

00T, I don't deny that the bare legs are there. My position is that they're bare as the result of sloppy direction, not part of Marc Foster's Master Vision. Surely dissenting opinions are allowed here?

They most certainly are. Allow me to demonstrate...

I cannot comprehend your stance, and therefore cannot agree with it at all. :(

Hypothetically, how do you suppose that would come about, dodge? Pants flying off as a 'result of sloppy direction', I mean. What do you reckon was supposed to have happened, and how might it have gone wrong?

Judo, I've already explained my position. And I refuse to be used any more to allow you to fan the fires further. As I mentioned, Harry over at AICN was an early spotter of the great Martin Campbell's oversight, or sloppiness, on CR: to Harry's horror, Eva's feet was absolutely BLACK in bed. The error was caught and corrected by cutting the offending scene. IMDb regularly cites entire lists of gaffes on Bond films. In the frenzied rush of getting films completed howlers do slip by. Directors and producers are human. Thus, even Mr.Perfect, Marc F, in blowing up a dummy neglected to notice--imo--that for a split second we saw the dummy's pants fly. If you choose to take this as a sign of comic genius, despite the protests of those who missed it entirely on repeated viewings, fine. I take it as a sign of Marc F caught with his own pants down.

#101 The ides of Mark

The ides of Mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

It's the shot *just* before the one of Greene running across the room. The one where the fire engulfs Elvis. Dude's had his pants blown off and is in undies.

Just look at his legs. There are no pants!

Yup, I finally got this when someone posted the Jimmy Kimmel Live interview with Daniel Craig in another thread, and they showed a clip of this scene:

Daniel Craig part 1 Jimmy Kimmel Live 11-13-08

Dunno why it took me so long to see it, as it seems perfectly obvious now! :)

Now I notice it too, thanks Byline! This kind of humour reminds me of the insertshot of the fake tiger in Octopussy (a John Glenn-idea).
Nice little touch for those who eagle eye the film. :(

Might be more easter-eggs in this one!?

Edited by The ides of Mark, 03 December 2008 - 05:26 PM.

#102 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Judo, I've already explained my position.

I don't believe you have. Not re: the pants being an accident. Not to me, anyway.

Thus, even Mr.Perfect, Marc F, in blowing up a dummy neglected to notice--imo--that for a split second we saw the dummy's pants fly. If you choose to take this as a sign of comic genius, despite the protests of those who missed it entirely on repeated viewings, fine. I take it as a sign of Marc F caught with his own pants down.

Ok, now you have.

You confuse me dodge. For being comically skilled yourself, I cannot understand how you cannot identify another person's attempt at comedy when it is laid right before you.

Please don’t try to undermine my position (one apparently shared by the majority of folks in this thread) by use of the matter that stuff happens too quickly to see the first time. What do ‘protests of those who missed it entirely on repeated viewings’ have to do with anything? Either stuff happens on screen, or it doesn’t, whether or not people see it on the first or tenth time, or never. Let's stick to the FACTS, please.

THE FACTS:

Pants go off. Elvis tumbles and hairpiece comes off. Elvis is molded into a defensive stance against his will (if a will exists). Elvis has a goofy look on his face watching the opera. Elvis gives Bond his first clue and blames a nameless guard for it. Elvis speaks and nobody answers. Elvis is heard talking to his mom on the phone saying how pretty the scenery is. Elvis is wearing a neckbrace, and a scene was cut of a bewildered Elvis holding Greene’s apple core. Those events are proven to exist – they aren’t going away – and those events comprise 100% of Elvis’ involvement in the film. He does nothing else. Nothing.

If the pants are an accident, what do you make of the rest of them? Also accidents? Is the hairpiece also an oversight by Forster? Did the actor speak out of turn on the plane and that’s why nobody answers him, but the cameras just kept running thanks to Mr. Can’t Do Nuthin’ Right?

I’m not trying to tell you that Forster is a comic genius, or that you should find Elvis funny. But the evidence that that is the intent, the plan, the purpose and the mission, is overwhelming and undefeatable.

But I PROMISE to lure you into debate no more. I hear your stance. How about we wait for the DVD and for the commentary tracks to finish this debate for us?

#103 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

My eyes hurt.

Thank you. I thought it was just Judo's clever strategies to keep the thread going. But, no, it has grown truly nasty.

Er, I think you were a part of it too, sweet pea.

#104 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

Speaking of Elvis, look at his pendant. He sports it at the dock in Haiti and the party in Bolivia.

It looks like a little girl's skeleton, wearing a dress.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#105 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

My eyes hurt.

Er, I think you were a part of it too, sweet pea.

Er, er, er, er, no, I was not. I used a trope--a mere figure of speech--I did not send in a troop. Or tripe. Or traipse anywhere that I shouldn't.

#106 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

Er, er, er, er, no, I was not. I used a trope--a mere figure of speech--I did not send in a troop. Or tripe. Or traipse anywhere that I shouldn't.

Please, you two. Keep these conversational trappings out of my Elvis thread.

#107 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

Judo, I've already explained my position.

I don't believe you have. Not re: the pants being an accident. Not to me, anyway.

Thus, even Mr.Perfect, Marc F, in blowing up a dummy neglected to notice--imo--that for a split second we saw the dummy's pants fly. If you choose to take this as a sign of comic genius, despite the protests of those who missed it entirely on repeated viewings, fine. I take it as a sign of Marc F caught with his own pants down.

Ok, now you have.

You confuse me dodge. For being comically skilled yourself, I cannot understand how you cannot identify another person's attempt at comedy when it is laid right before you.

Please don’t try to undermine my position (one apparently shared by the majority of folks in this thread) by use of the matter that stuff happens too quickly to see the first time. What do ‘protests of those who missed it entirely on repeated viewings’ have to do with anything? Either stuff happens on screen, or it doesn’t, whether or not people see it on the first or tenth time, or never. Let's stick to the FACTS, please.

THE FACTS:

Pants go off. Elvis tumbles and hairpiece comes off. Elvis is molded into a defensive stance against his will (if a will exists). Elvis has a goofy look on his face watching the opera. Elvis gives Bond his first clue and blames a nameless guard for it. Elvis speaks and nobody answers. Elvis is heard talking to his mom on the phone saying how pretty the scenery is. Elvis is wearing a neckbrace, and a scene was cut of a bewildered Elvis holding Greene’s apple core. Those events are proven to exist – they aren’t going away – and those events comprise 100% of Elvis’ involvement in the film. He does nothing else. Nothing.

If the pants are an accident, what do you make of the rest of them? Also accidents? Is the hairpiece also an oversight by Forster? Did the actor speak out of turn on the plane and that’s why nobody answers him, but the cameras just kept running thanks to Mr. Can’t Do Nuthin’ Right?

I’m not trying to tell you that Forster is a comic genius, or that you should find Elvis funny. But the evidence that that is the intent, the plan, the purpose and the mission, is overwhelming and undefeatable.

But I PROMISE to lure you into debate no more. I hear your stance. How about we wait for the DVD and for the commentary tracks to finish this debate for us?

'Overwhelming and undefeatable?'

That's precisely the sort of language that's now driven me off this thread completely. You're welcome to it. Students around the world who've flunked their final exams can now argue with their instructors re their intents, their plans, their purposes and their missions. Lowly comics in the Adirondacks can rage at crowds who do not laugh: their intents, their plans, their purposes and their missions were to be funny.

But you PROMISED not to lure me into further debate and here we go. No more. I offer you this parting gift to help launch this thread onto a fifth page:

Please accept my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of your nonacceptance of my nonacceptance of Elvis being funny.

Faretheewell and have fun.

#108 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

Ah, Elvis , the guy who brought DAF to QoS. He's obviously the missing link between Mr.Kidd and Mr. Wint.

Could actually see the three characters in their own spin-off movie. Magic word; could. Not would (want to).

Funny, but pretty useless character.

Clearly some people have pretty sharp eyes, to have noticed a little details like pants blowing / burning off. I just saw one big explosion.

Well done, Penny, Chop ... :(

#109 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

More thoughts on Elvis. Or, rather, another way of having the same ol’ thought. And yes, I’ve copied this almost verbatim from another post of mine elsewhere. And yes, it’s a lame and dorky thing to do. I dare you: go ahead and ‘post’ your insults. Log on to CBn and post how lame and dorky I am and we can bathe together in the bubbly scented waters of irony.

My thought:

Elvis is not even really part of Quantum of Solace. Elvis is like Lazenby’s 4th wall smashing “other fella” line. He’s there for the audience alone – not for anything going on in the story. He’s beyond useless; not only is he making fun of himself, he’s making fun of all Bond henchmankind, of all time.

I believe he was made, literally and specifically, FOR US BOND FANS. For those of us who understand where the series has been, and what Bond has done for the Evil Henchman™ in cinema. We know the power that guys like Grant and Oddjob and Jaws have had on audiences and how important they are to Bond’s history. The filmmakers are giving us a little elbow nudge, whispering into our ears, “Hey, you know… nobody else is going to notice this… but check out what we’ve done to the ‘almighty Bond henchman’ <copious sarcasm>… you know… just this one time. Just for fun.”

I beg of you... see his purpose and enjoy him. For he will only be with us this one time.

#110 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

***** ANOTHER THOUGHT ******

For people who wanted QOS to break new ground, I give you Elvis. Not new just for Bond, but possibly for film. Insofar as I can recall, there’s no one out there like him. No character constructed so deliberately to represent pure wholesome irony.

To add clarity to a conversation I had elsewhere on the forums: JW Pepper is an entirely useless and entirely comical character (whether or not the humor works is another matter. Fact is, that is his intention). But JW is NOT entirely ironical. There’s nothing ironic about him.

There has certainly been no character like Elvis in the Bond films to-date. I’d be eager to hear anyone name another character anywhere else in film (ok, how about just in ‘action’ films) whose purpose is to embody irony and to do nothing else (which is, actually, part of the irony).

I LOVE ELVIS!!!

#111 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

Let's not forget Elvis with his mouth agape at the bottom of the Opera stairwell... :(

#112 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

I accidentally cut my sister's bangs too short and she accuses me of taking my love of Elvis too far! :(

Seriously though Elvis is a delight. :)

#113 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

I love when he smiles Greene's driver at the Tosca opera :(

#114 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

I love when he smiles Greene's driver at the Tosca opera :(

Bit of a Jim Carey goofiness to the look.

#115 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

More thoughts on Elvis. Or, rather, another way of having the same ol’ thought. And yes, I’ve copied this almost verbatim from another post of mine elsewhere. And yes, it’s a lame and dorky thing to do. I dare you: go ahead and ‘post’ your insults. Log on to CBn and post how lame and dorky I am and we can bathe together in the bubbly scented waters of irony.

My thought:

Elvis is not even really part of Quantum of Solace. Elvis is like Lazenby’s 4th wall smashing “other fella” line. He’s there for the audience alone – not for anything going on in the story. He’s beyond useless; not only is he making fun of himself, he’s making fun of all Bond henchmankind, of all time.

I believe he was made, literally and specifically, FOR US BOND FANS. For those of us who understand where the series has been, and what Bond has done for the Evil Henchman™ in cinema. We know the power that guys like Grant and Oddjob and Jaws have had on audiences and how important they are to Bond’s history. The filmmakers are giving us a little elbow nudge, whispering into our ears, “Hey, you know… nobody else is going to notice this… but check out what we’ve done to the ‘almighty Bond henchman’ <copious sarcasm>… you know… just this one time. Just for fun.”

I beg of you... see his purpose and enjoy him. For he will only be with us this one time.

That's one time too many. Another disappointing aspect of an ultimately disappointing film.

#116 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Let's see this from the bright side; Elvis is the worst henchmen ever. The bottom of the barrel. Now, it will only get better.

#117 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Let's see this from the bright side; Elvis is the worst henchmen ever. The bottom of the barrel.

He's at the bottom of the henchman barrel alright. He's turned the henchman barrel upside down and is dancing on the bottom end of it.

These types of comments are frustrating, and I can't help but think that is your only purpose. You're judging Elvis as a henchman, lining him up along all the other henchman of the series and rightly noting that he does nothing. Yet, if you'd read my post and activate your brain for a second, you'd see that that is entirely missing the point. If you would acknowledge the intent of the character and say "I see the intent, I just don't like it" that could be appreciated, but your additions to the discussion amount to "I don't even want to look".

Don't sign-up for an Art Appreciation seminar and then refuse to look up at the wall. Unless, of course, your purpose is to be an :(.

Is it?

#118 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Let's see this from the bright side; Elvis is the worst henchmen ever. The bottom of the barrel.

He's at the bottom of the henchman barrel alright. He's turned the henchman barrel upside down and is dancing on the bottom end of it.

These types of comments are frustrating, and I can't help but think that is your only purpose. You're judging Elvis as a henchman, lining him up along all the other henchman of the series and rightly noting that he does nothing. Yet, if you'd read my post and activate your brain for a second, you'd see that that is entirely missing the point. If you would acknowledge the intent of the character and say "I see the intent, I just don't like it" that could be appreciated, but your additions to the discussion amount to "I don't even want to look".

Don't sign-up for an Art Appreciation seminar and then refuse to look up at the wall. Unless, of course, your purpose is to be an :(.

Is it?

I gave you my opinion. I will not comment on your personal attacks.

As for the topic, I don't laugh out loud when a person
a. falls down a stairway
b. lose his toupee
c. eat an apple
d. show his underwear.

On the contrary, I think this corny and utterly pointless type of villain is totally out of place in a Bondfilm. If they left his best scenes in the film, god save us for the scenes they cut out.

#119 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

As for the topic, I don't laugh out loud when a person
a. falls down a stairway
b. lose his toupee
c. eat an apple
d. show his underwear

On the contrary, I think this corny and utterly pointless type of villain is totally out of place in a Bondfilm.

Tell that to Jaws, who
a. drops a block on his foot
b. flaps his arms as he falls into a circus tent
c. stands like an idiot in a clown suit while his prey gets away
d. gets into a sappy romance with a girl with pigtails and braces

Clearly, sir, you seem not to have watched too many Bond films. :(

#120 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

This thread is still going?!

Elvis is QoS's double-taking pidgeon.

That's all I have to say on the matter. I will now exit, stage left, and allow this thread to fester on. Into eternity, it would appear.