98 replies to this topic

#31 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

I didn't pick up how Greene was found dead the first time.
Also, after falling off the stairs, Elvis has that thing around his neck.
Picked up most of Camille's, Greene's and Medrano's dialogue in the second viewing.

#32 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

Bond shouldn't have known it was GREENE and not GREEN, he'd only heard it spoken.

The call to Universal Exports was to put a GPS tracer on Elvis, and that's how he followed them; I didn't notice that the first time.

#33 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

I made a similar thread here:
http://debrief.comma...showtopic=51169

:(

#34 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

Bond shouldn't have known it was GREENE and not GREEN, he'd only heard it spoken.

It's possible that he put two and two together, bearing in mind that Camille was driving a Ford Ka with "Greene Planet" written on the side.

#35 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

Here is mine.

I loved this one.

When Bond is asking MI6 for a name check on Dominic Greene, he spells out the surname. The screen is obviously working on speech recognition technology, as when he begins to spell it he says GR, and GR pop up.

However, then he says Double E. The screen reacts by first typing W, thinking he was about to say W. But when he continues with his EENE, it reverts almost immediately to EENE.

Very clever stuff. Who else noticed small details the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time around?

Have I missed something? What did you notice? That the screen did recognition?

#36 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

It's possible that he put two and two together, bearing in mind that Camille was driving a Ford Ka with "Greene Planet" written on the side.

How about the fact that when 'Elvis' calls the R. Stirling/Universal Exports business card number, Bond's cellphone show's an incoming call from "Greene Planet"?

#37 NDP

NDP

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

I noticed that the coffins fell and broke during a street chase in Haiti. Then a couple frames latter you can see the coffins back on the truck. A continuity error for sure.

#38 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

Here is mine.

I loved this one.

When Bond is asking MI6 for a name check on Dominic Greene, he spells out the surname. The screen is obviously working on speech recognition technology, as when he begins to spell it he says GR, and GR pop up.

However, then he says Double E. The screen reacts by first typing W, thinking he was about to say W. But when he continues with his EENE, it reverts almost immediately to EENE.

Very clever stuff. Who else noticed small details the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time around?

Have I missed something? What did you notice? That the screen did recognition?

Not just that - it did predictive speech recognition. It registered Bond saying the word double and started to type W (Double U), but when he followed it up with the letter E, the W switched to Double E (EE).

#39 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

How about the fact that when 'Elvis' calls the R. Stirling/Universal Exports business card number, Bond's cellphone show's an incoming call from "Greene Planet"?

Ah, yes, that would also have helped :)

#40 gt007

gt007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:30 AM

On my fourth viewing I noticed there is a photo of Le Chiffre on one of the screens in the briefing room.

#41 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

I noticed Elvis' margarita in Greene's party.

#42 Miss Goodnight

Miss Goodnight

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:05 AM

I saw it for a second time yesterday and I noticed that when Bond first inserted the earphone into his ear at the Opera the members of Quantum were speaking about the 'Canadian plan' before they spoke about the Bolivian project.

#43 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:08 AM

I saw it for a second time yesterday and I noticed that when Bond first inserted the earphone into his ear at the Opera the members of Quantum were speaking about the 'Canadian plan' before they spoke about the Bolivian project.

Really? I didn't notice that one. Excellent find!

#44 __7

__7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

1) AWTD works - I heard more of the song as a whole, not just the melody. It actually works very well for this film

2) as it turns out the skydive does not suck

3) they have to keep Dench and Craig together - just wouldn't work with a tough male M - they would clash too much - "your mother?" "She thinks she is." - it would seem this is true of their characters as well as actors in a Bond film - it's almost as if there is a familial bond between them. Not only this, but the one brings out the depth of the character in the other, IOW Craig makes Dench's M more interesting, and Dench makes Craig's Bond more interesting (this comes out in both films). Eon can't break these two up - their scenes together work too well.

#45 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:24 AM

- M definitely doesn't get shot (didn't think so the first time, either, but I believe some folks did)

- The movie looked even less like a Bourne movie than I'd thought before

- Elvis, who is basically the middle finger to the hulking henchman stereotype, being hysterically funny (more on that in Judo's Elvis thread). When he goes up in flames, the blast literally blows his pants off[!!!] before he's engulfed in fire. Seriously. Watch it again and see.

- The Bregenz section is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in anything claiming to be an action film.

- Understanding exactly what Bond was saying as he exposed Yusef to Corinne.

- The awesomeness of that final shot of the Loveknot left in the snow.

- After the blood runs down the screen in the gunbarrel, Bond actually walks on!

BTW-- Moderators, can DaveBond's thread:

http://debrief.comma...p...c=51806&hl=

be merged with this one?

#46 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:29 AM

I think this so-called "Canadian Plan" is being discussed elsewhere in these forums, and that it may be a hint as to where Bond may go in B23.

#47 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

BTW-- Moderators, can DaveBond's thread:

http://debrief.comma...p...c=51806&hl=

be merged with this one?

Wish/command interface.

#48 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

I think this so-called "Canadian Plan" is being discussed elsewhere in these forums, and that it may be a hint as to where Bond may go in B23.

Ehh, honestly I think its just Paul Haggis having a laugh by referencing his home country.

#49 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

Ehh, honestly I think its just Paul Haggis having a laugh by referencing his home country.

If it was just that reference, I would agree but we have the whole Yusef/Corinne thing at the end which tells me it's bigger. Although, I'm sure using Canada as the country is the nod from Haggis.

#50 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

That is the Canadian Agent CORINNE at the end of SOLACE isn't it?

#51 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

I wish Bond would come to Canada... well Ottawa or Montreal... since that's where I am.... all us Bond fans here have gotten is the brief visit in The For Your Eyes Only short story...

#52 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

How about a PTS on the Niagara Falls?

#53 mario007

mario007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

The OHMSS bond theme sound when bond drives into the safe house at the begining and the LTK bond theme when bond hands over Camilie at the end of the boat chase!

Edited by mario007, 22 November 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#54 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

Were they calling M "mum" throughout the film? And was M the one who wrote the note for Bond to "RUN"?

That wold be "Ma'am", the female alternative to "sir". :(

Fields wrote the note - presumably knowing that Greene's people were coming for her. Or, if one prefers, knowing that M was on her way to get Bond. Either way, it had to be written before M's arrival - i.e. before Fields' death.

M wanted Bond to come back to the room, since she was waiting for him.

#55 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

if it was Ma'am (which I'm sure it must have been) why did they pronounce it "mum"... while other characters pronounced it "mam". A friend of mine (who had never seen a Bond film) thought that M was mother to her closest associates.

#56 CM007

CM007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

I noticed a snippet of dialouge right after the title sequence..."M" makes mention to White that he's a long way from Britain, and the questioning could get longer and harder. I guess that was a veiled threat of using torture, since I'm assuming that if they were on the British mainland MI6 might not be allowed to use torture to get information.

Were they calling M "mum" throughout the film? And was M the one who wrote the note for Bond to "RUN"?

Yes everyone calls her Mum in the movie.Also Bond says it in CR when he leaves her apartment.

#57 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

I noticed a snippet of dialouge right after the title sequence..."M" makes mention to White that he's a long way from Britain, and the questioning could get longer and harder. I guess that was a veiled threat of using torture, since I'm assuming that if they were on the British mainland MI6 might not be allowed to use torture to get information.

Yes everyone calls her Mum in the movie.Also Bond says it in CR when he leaves her apartment.

They are saying "Ma'am", not "Mum" :(

#58 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:33 PM

It's simply "ma'am" with a slightly different pronunciation.

#59 Innukchuck

Innukchuck

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

M was shot, but not SHOT.

#60 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:34 AM

So, then, that was something I didn't notice even after two viewings! Ha!