131 replies to this topic

#91 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

Ofcourse it's unfair when Lazenby was in 1 movie with 100% while Moore did 7 films.

View Post

Sure - that's what's crucial about Lazenby going out after one, at the top, having given a spot-on interpretation of Bond in a true Fleming movie. He might have screwed it up if he'd stayed on and got complacent. Then again, Connery would have got 100% if he'd gone after Thunderball.

View Post

Well Thunderball is the weakest of the Connery 60's canon.

Edited by Colossus, 28 September 2005 - 07:04 PM.

#92 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:42 PM

I can't believe that I have yet to do this! lol...

Anyways here's how I'd rank the Bond actors with #1 be my most favorite and #5 least.

1. Sean Connery: The original..doesn't get any better than him!

2. Pierce Brosnan: Very good competiton for Connery.. back when Pierce was Remmington Steele, if he hadn't been so goofy occasionaly, i would have thought he would have been a great Bond.

3. Roger Moore: Charming, English gentleman. The films just got a little too funny and comical and Moore got a little too old, but I still liked him a lot.

4. George Lazenby: I'll give him tremendous credit for a former model who had no real acting experience, Lazenby pulled off Bond very, very well. OHMSS is also in my top ten favorite films, as its probably the most down to earth, realistic Bond film of them all.

5. Timothy Dalton: Initially, i really disliked him. But I've since warmed up to his portryal of Bond. I guess at first I didn't quite get the fact that he was portraying a much harder-edged Bond on purpose. Quite a transition from the toung-in-cheek films of Roger Moore. Dalton is a very fine actor, though I haven't seen many of his non-007 films.

#93 right idea, wrong pussy

right idea, wrong pussy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:40 AM

1. Roger Moore
2. Sean Connery
3. George Lazenby (gradually moving up my list)
4. Timothy Dalton (I once ranked him number 2, and I do love TLD, but he seems to move down a little every time I see his excrable performance in LTK)
5. Pierce Brosnan (I by no means hate him, but he's too much of a tease - way too inconsistant).

My rankings change a little if I am able to differentiate between Early Connery (DN-YOLT) and late Connery (DAF-NSNA). Both are wonderful interpretations of Bond, but both are quite different. I would rate late Connery head and shoulders above all the other actors, and I would rate early Connery somewhat below Roger Moore and well ahead of Lazenby.

#94 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:28 AM

Ofcourse it's unfair when Lazenby was in 1 movie with 100% while Moore did 7 films.

View Post

Terribly unfair, that's why he should've done more movies.

#95 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:50 AM

1. Connery (made Fleming's character come to gritty, cold-hearted life)
2. Dalton (brought real emotion and balls back to the character)
3. Lazenby (lucky enough to have one of the meatiest plots and best scripts)
4. Moore (too many gadgets, too many jokes, too many films)
5. Brosnan (a pretty mannequin to hang tux's on, horrible scripts)

#96 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:30 AM

Well Thunderball is the weakest of the Connery 60's canon.

View Post

:)

Why do you say that?

#97 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:33 AM

Lazenby is my least favorite.

Edited by Colossus, 16 November 2005 - 07:25 AM.

#98 Blue07

Blue07

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

1 Pierce Brosnan (Who else?)
2 Sean Connery (Being the original doesn't always mean the best)
3 Roger Moore (A generation thing)
4 Timothy Dalton (could have been higher if he had done more)
5 George Lazenby (Sorry George)

#99 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:56 PM

1. Sean Connery (the handsome brute)
2. Timothy Dalton (a close second)
3. Roger Moore (not my idea of Bond, but still a class act)
4. George Lazenby (good physically)
5. Pierce Brosnan (too stiff)

#100 Alessandra

Alessandra

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

1.Pierce Brosnan and Sean Connery (I prefer Pierce's more "human" interpretation, and on the other hand Sean is the original)
2.Timothy Dalton
3.Roger Moore
4.George Lazenby

I don't see huge gaps between the actors, since I basically liked them all for different reasons. Let't say Lazenby is probably a step behind to me, but I didn't just totally dislike him. He was just too different to be right.. but the movie was very good.

#101 Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007

Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

I'd have to go with,

1. Connery/Moore
3. Lazenby
4. Dalton
5. Brosnan

I don't think Pierce was bad really, as it seems a lot of fans do, I just think however that he was somehow bland, which he himself even seems to be saying in his interviews.

At times I thought he was quite good, but something seemed missing, still he looked damn good in the role.

So please note when I put him at 5 I am not saying he was bad.

If I could rate it like this I would say

Connery A
Moore A
Lazenby B
Dalton B
Brosnan B

So I thought Pierce was good (I seriously doubt Craig will be even close to Pierce), but he seemed to lack a certain something.

Lazenby was better than Moore and Connery in many ways, yet also lacked a certain something in some ways, otherwise he would have been the best, so I am in the camp that feels he would have been the best if he kept with it.

#102 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:07 PM

OK, here's how I would rank the Bond boys (if I haven't already).

1. Sean Connery.
Just nailed it in my opinion. I know it's a cliche to say he's the best because he was the first, but I just love his style man! Modern cinema doesn't have leading men like this anymore.

2. Pierce Brosnan.
The absolute man. He really did a lot for the Bond films, and put his own spin on it. If Connery is the man who gave birth to Bond, then Brosnan is the man who bought him up to date.

3. Roger Moore.
Great! This is the Bond I grew up with. I liked his approach to the role, and some of the ones he was in were the best.

4. Timothy Dalton.
A very good actor, and I really appreciate what he was trying to do with the role. Anyone who criticises his performance as being "too serious" are kind of losing touch with what Fleming wanted Bond to be in the first place.

5. George Lazenby.
I'm not gonna slag off Lazenby. OK, compared to the others he was the worst, but I think if he was patient enough to stick around for a couple more movies he could have been one of the best. I don't think he's bad actor at all, and I wouldn't have "OHMSS" any other way.

#103 Mr. Larsen

Mr. Larsen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:45 AM

1. Roger Moore
2. Pierce Brosnan
3. Dalton
4. Connery
5. Lazenby

Maybe because i havent seen the movies with Connery and Lazenby that much.. Seen them all but long time ago. :tup:

#104 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:01 AM

1. Sean
2. Timothy
3. Pierce
4. Roger
5. George

#105 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:13 AM

FYI -- My top 3 choices are really close so I hate to choose one over the other. However...

001) Pierce Brosnan -- He was my first choice for a new James Bond in 1987 and 1995 and I enjoyed Remington Steele a lot when I was a kid and I guess all that factored into my enjoying his 007. Very smooth and handles the action and humor well.

002) Roger Moore -- The James Bond I grew up with. Great style and wit.

003) Sean Connery -- My favorite actor outside of the James Bond universe. He is such a stud. I don't know why he's not my favorite as Bond. Maybe it's because his movies were a little before my time and aren't quite as over the top as the later pictures. However, I am liking him more as I get older. Much machismo.

004) Timothy Dalton -- Closest to Ian Fleming's version. Intense and dangerous.

005) George Lazenby -- Greatness limited by only one film but he still did well in role. The most athletic of the Bonds.

#106 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:47 PM

I enjoyed Remington Steele a lot when I was a kid

View Post

Was "Remington Steele" any good? I've never seen it. My first experience with Pierce Brosnan was "The Lawnmower Man". That's right. That pile of :tup:.

Edited by ChickenStu, 19 November 2005 - 07:47 PM.

#107 qtst

qtst

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

Yup Remington Steele was very good and still is with the DVDs now. :D :tup:

Anyway back to topic, here's my ranking:
1) Pierce Brosnan/Sean Connery
2) Timothy Dalton
3) Roger Moore
4) George Lazenby

#108 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

1. Connery/Dalton

Connery is my "objective" choice - the man who defined Bond for the screen, still the coolest and most iconic Bond.

Dalton is my "personal" choice - because his performance in TLD blew away the cobwebs of the later Moore films, it seemed a completely new way to play the role, intense, romantic, believable.

2. Moore

He staid too long in the role but at his height he owned the part, re-working Bond in his own lighter, self deprectaing image, the perfect centre for OTT epics like TSWLM and MR, self aware but falling short of sending the whhole thing up.  A very fine line to tread, he did it to perfection.  Plus he can play tough, at least he could in LALD and TMWTGG.

3. Brosnan/Lazenby

How can I rank Lazenby as high as Brosnan?  Just because he was in OHMSS perhpas the best film of the lot.  I love that film so much I don't notice his wooden acting (if such it is).  Brosnan is good but he doesn't have IT, whatever IT is.  I think he was best in GE, but for me he will alwys be low calorie Dalton.

View Post

Well stated. Couldn't of said it better!

#109 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

1. Connery
He had the perfect mix of suaveness and ruthlessness. He did what it would take to get the job done, even if it meant slapping around a few females. The epitome of cool. The perfect cinematic Bond.
2. Dalton
While watching Dalton I get the feeling that I actually am watching someone who is a member of the British secret service. He is the most believable in the role which may have to do with him being so low key compared to the other actors. Dalton's Bond is someone who wishes he could have a normal life but feels that his true duty lies with his country and his friends which makes him a much more interesting character. I wish he could've been in GoldenEye.
3. Lazenby
I often refer to Lazenby's portrayal as the "human Bond". He isn't quite Connery yet he isn't quite Dalton. He's different which isn't a bad thing. He's a OO7 that shows that he can feel emotion and love and intends on settling down but can still be a badass. I wish he had a proper sequel to On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.
4. Brosnan
Brosnan's Bond is one that had potential in GoldenEye but never reached it. There is nothing really different about Brosnans portrayal, he's just taken bits from the other actors which isn't a good thing in my book.
5. Moore
Moore brought an un-needed, out of this world aspect to the films that Fleming surely would have a distaste for. Moore took the subtle humor from the Connery era and blew it out of proportion. There's almost no shred of the real James Bond in Moore. He also stayed in the role far too long for my taste, he should've hung up the hat after Moonraker.

#110 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:44 AM

1. Timothy Dalton

Cold, dark, real. The epitome of a secret agent. The "sniper" Bond, he relied on his wits instead of gadgets, and is perhaps the most intimidating of them all. Lacked the "genius" of his predecessors, yet came across as more intelligent, worldly, and cultured.

2. Sean Connery

Calm, cool, and collective. Suave ladies' man. Great at double entendres and puns, not to mention ordering vodka martinis. Stealthy and secretive, he could slink about like almost no other.

3. George Lazenby

Bond as a martial artist. Laidback, "world is my oyster" approach. Immature and juvenile, but endearing just the same. Second to none at one-liners and quips, if only for his "boyish" delivery of them.

4. Pierce Brosnan

Could emulate a bit of the others' best at times, and brought his own charm and sophistication to the role. Dalton in the heat of battle, Connery or Moore when chatting up the ladies.

5. Roger Moore

The quintessential "superhero" Bond, he delivered the most laughably one-sided jokes, and was lovable and enjoyable if a bit too nice and well-mannered to be a ruthless government spy with a licence to kill.

#111 Thunderfinger

Thunderfinger

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

1 Dalton
2 Connery
3 Lazenby
4 Moore
5 Niven
6 Brosnan

I think Craig can go all the way to the top, though.

#112 WhiteKnight2000

WhiteKnight2000

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Moore
4. Brosnan
5. Craig
6. Lazenby
7. Holness

#113 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

It

#114 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

Moore
Dalton
Lazenby
Connery
Brosnan
Craig

#115 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

1.Craig
2.Connery
3.Dalton
4.Brosnan
5.Moore
6.Lazenby

#116 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

7. Holness

:angry: :cooltongue:

#117 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:06 AM

Okay, here it goes . . .

1. Daniel Craig

2. Sean Connery/George Lazenby/Roger Moore/Timothy Dalton/Pierce Brosnan

#118 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:08 AM

Here's Mine (I thought I did this, maybe not)

1. Pierce Brosnan/Roger Moore - I love these two guys they are awesome. I will watch there Bond movies more than any other and that just the way it is.

2. Sean Connery - I like Sean of course,

3. Timothy Dalton - Tim has his fine moments.

4. George Lazenby - George did a good job in OHMSS

5. Daniel Craig - Daniel is ok, but he's just not there yet for me.

and that's all folks.

#119 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

My favourites are:

1) Daniel Craig
2) George Lazenby
3) Sean Connery
4) Pierce Brosnan
5) Roger Moore
6) Timothy Dalton

I think that if George Lazenby had carried on as Bond, Moore would never have been given the role.

#120 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

1. Daniel Craig
2. Timothy Dalton
3. Roger Moore/Sean Connery (tie)
5. George Lazenby
6. Pierce Brosnan