#121 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

Tell you what, I'll expand the clue a little:

It's a slow starter, but once you really open it up, it's quite an exciting hangout, especially if you like the high life.

Could you be devious enough to use the Cable Car from Moonraker as a vehicle?

#122 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

Yes, I could be that devious. And it's a very good guess. However, that's not what I had in mind. You've correctly divined that "open up" is a key part of the clue, though, so keep guessng.

To answer your underlying point, BTW, I'm assuming that we're using "vehicle" pretty broadly in this game to apply to almost any kind of land/sea/air conveyance, even if it's not something one wold ordinarily use the word "vehicle" for. For example, you could argue that the cello case in TLD constituted a vehicle. Would we consider something like that beyond the border of what could be used in this game, or just barely within it? (And no, that's not the answer to this clue, though the cello case was opened up...)

#123 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

Yes, I could be that devious. And it's a very good guess. However, that's not what I had in mind. You've correctly divined that "open up" is a key part of the clue, though, so keep guessng.

To answer your underlying point, BTW, I'm assuming that we're using "vehicle" pretty broadly in this game to apply to almost any kind of land/sea/air conveyance, even if it's not something one wold ordinarily use the word "vehicle" for. For example, you could argue that the cello case in TLD constituted a vehicle. Would we consider something like that beyond the border of what could be used in this game, or just barely within it? (And no, that's not the answer to this clue, though the cello case was opened up...)

Per Dictionary.com: ve⋅hi⋅cle  
Pronunciation [vee-i-kuhl or, sometimes, vee-hi-] –noun 1. any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport: a motor vehicle; space vehicles.
2. a conveyance moving on wheels, runners, tracks, or the like, as a cart, sled, automobile, or tractor.

So yes, I'd say all's fair game. Now, back to the guessing--could it the the Acrostar Jet from OP. It open's up as the wings unfold, as well as building speed and of course--flying it--well, the highlife. Mmmm, of course, Little Nellie would also sort of fit, as well. Open her out of the suitcases, slow at first and then.

#124 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

You're getting warmer.

#125 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

You're getting warmer.

Mmmmmmmmmm---Moonraker Shuttle, perhaps???

#126 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

Nope, though those are all decent stabs. I'll tweak the clue a bit more:

This craft takes a while to get up to speed; once you open it up, it's quite an exciting place to hang out, especially if you like the high life.

#127 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

Nope, though those are all decent stabs. I'll tweak the clue a bit more:

This craft takes a while to get up to speed; once you open it up, it's quite an exciting place to hang out, especially if you like the high life.

Hmmmmmmmmmm---Hercules Cargo Plane, TLD?

#128 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

YESSIR!!

It takes, literally, five minutes to get off the ground (I timed it once--it may be the longest plane takeoff in film history). The rest of the clue is probably pretty obvious.

'Course, it subsequently occurred to me that I could have made the whole thing much simpler by saying "This vehicle suffered a serious net loss." Ah, well--hindsight.

Back to you.....

#129 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

It was hip, it was chic.

#130 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

This can't be right, but with "hip" in the clue, I can't think of anything but Lt. Hip in Golden Gun, so just to get it out of my system, I'm going to say it's the car with Hip's two nieces (chic[k]s) in it that Bond fails to get into when trying to escape the karate school.

There. That's done. Now someone can come up with the real answer.

#131 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

This can't be right, but with "hip" in the clue, I can't think of anything but Lt. Hip in Golden Gun, so just to get it out of my system, I'm going to say it's the car with Hip's two nieces (chic[k]s) in it that Bond fails to get into when trying to escape the karate school.

There. That's done. Now someone can come up with the real answer.

You're right---it is done. That WAS the correct answer. First the character and now this. You are on fire. Over to you...............

#132 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

Thanks. If I get extinguished, though, I'll be really put out. But anyway . . .

This knockoff definitely didn't take the high road.

#133 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

Thanks. If I get extinguished, though, I'll be really put out. But anyway . . .

This knockoff definitely didn't take the high road.

Are you referring to Melina's car in FYEO? She definitely took the low road.

#134 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

Excellent guess--that never occurred to me. But not what I was thinking.

#135 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hmm, bit more of a reach, are we referring to Xenia's Ferrari. I suppose with the fake registration plates, that could be considered a "knock off" and the road race between her and Bond definitely was going down th mountainside.

#136 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Another good guess, but no.

Part of the clue is more literal than you're thinking, and part is less so . . .

#137 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

OK, one last guess for the day--is it the Three Blind Mice Hearse from Dr No. It got knocked off the cliff, thus certainly not being on the high road.

#138 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:18 AM

Wow, you're coming up with some really interesting ideas! But still not what I was thinking.

I'll give a hint: The vehicle didn't get knocked off anything. Rather the other way around.

#139 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hmmmmmmmm, OK, change of approach---are you referring to the bus in LALD. The top was knocked off and the LOW bridge warning sign on the road?

#140 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

You're getting warmer. Plus, I'll tell you that the remainder of the clue is the part that's less literal.

#141 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

You're getting warmer. Plus, I'll tell you that the remainder of the clue is the part that's less literal.

Hmmm, OK, it's been 8 days. A stab although something tells me I am misreading or overlooking the obvious:

AVTaK Renault taxi--it's back end got knocked off, and if the second part of the clue is less literal--Bond's stealing of the cab wasn't exactly high road behavior.

#142 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

Another nice bit of thinking, but unfortunately no.

You're right that this thing had something knocked off it. Two somethings, actually. As a result, it wasn't able to metaphorically "take the high road," which it was designed to do.

I'm sure it'll ring a bell for you soon . . .

#143 Tubes

Tubes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

Bond's plane in GoldenEye, which got both wings sheered off and was rendered unable to fly.

#144 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

Are we talking about the Mrs Bell's lesson plane in LALD?

BTW, subtle hint in your post, nice but unneeded. I piggybacked on the above post.

#145 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

Tubes, you were THISCLOSE! You definitely get an honorable mention on this one. But trs nailed it--the un-winged plane was actually in LALD. (The GoldenEye plane didn't have anyone in the cockpit when it went off the cliff, which is why it tried to take the very low road.)

trs, it's all yours.

#146 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

Tubes, you were THISCLOSE! You definitely get an honorable mention on this one. But trs nailed it--the un-winged plane was actually in LALD. (The GoldenEye plane didn't have anyone in the cockpit when it went off the cliff, which is why it tried to take the very low road.)

trs, it's all yours.

Tubes, thanks for the inspiration. Major, very devious, as I was extremely hung up on cars/trucks "road based" due to your clue. Kudos all around.

Onto new business...

A particular licence plate would be an ideal clue for at least two "passengers" that rode in this vehicle.

#147 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

It's been well over a week, and I'm still nowhere with this. The only wild guess I have is that "passengers" refers to Draco's facetious mention of his men in the helicopter on the way to Piz Gloria when challenged by the Swiss authorities. ("You're making my passengers airsick.") But I doubt that's correct, and I can't begin to unravel the license-plate aspect. Is this a license plate that appeared in one of the films, or a particular type of plate (like the "Dealer" plates that car dealers in the U.S. have), or...?

#148 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

It's been well over a week, and I'm still nowhere with this. The only wild guess I have is that "passengers" refers to Draco's facetious mention of his men in the helicopter on the way to Piz Gloria when challenged by the Swiss authorities. ("You're making my passengers airsick.") But I doubt that's correct, and I can't begin to unravel the license-plate aspect. Is this a license plate that appeared in one of the films, or a particular type of plate (like the "Dealer" plates that car dealers in the U.S. have), or...?

To know that I have you puzzled, Major, high praise, indeed. As it has been a week, the license plate is in a Bond film, and, if interpreted, will lead to the answer.

#149 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

Well, now you've put time pressure on this (in the other thread). If only that were some kind of help . . .

Okay, here's my guess, based on the fact that the only license plate I can remember from any film is Goldfinger's AU 1. Could the "passengers" refer to Goldfinger's Slazenger 1 golf balls? That is, AU's 1's? And we know there were at least two because he lost one and played a second?

#150 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

A particular licence plate would be an ideal clue for at least two "passengers" that rode in this vehicle.

I've got it! Bond and Mr. Solo, who were both in Goldfinger's car! B)