101 replies to this topic

#91 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hadn't seen that video. Thanks for posting. Just thinking, could the bald man talking to Craig at the start of the video and waving his arms around quite animatedly be director Mark Forster?

#92 # 11

# 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:02 PM

No, I don't think so. He must be someone local explaining the rules of the Palio (I suggest).

#93 Whalltt

Whalltt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hadn't seen that video. Thanks for posting. Just thinking, could the bald man talking to Craig at the start of the video and waving his arms around quite animatedly be director Mark Forster?

I'd say #11 is right. The guy seems to be explaining to Craig how the race works.

Nice to see the camera moving... Its Bond22 on the move!

#94 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

oy,... that IS a brutal race...

#95 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

Posted Image
James Bond actor caught on tape while visiting Tuscan shoot

oy,... that IS a brutal race...

I know, deth! I've seen the odd bit of footage of it here and there, but that coverage really captures the sheer brutality of it. I've watched that clip a couple of times and I still can't help but cringe as the horses charge into the wall at that first bend.

#96 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Good to see Craig in motion. Now we know his visit on location wasn't just a well done photoshop manipulation :cooltongue:

Edited by Blonde Bond, 23 August 2007 - 05:52 PM.

#97 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

I hope an epic shot of the horse which smashes headlong into the wall at that sharp corner on lap one makes it into the final cut...followed, of course, by a close up of the struggling rider in yellow silks being thrown into the crowd at the end of the second lap. Just imagine those shots being intercut with lightening quick edits of Bond kicking and punching the living stool out of his enemy!
:angry:

Would be a tragic shame if they didn't take advantage of such fortuitous action. :cooltongue:

Edited by HildebrandRarity, 23 August 2007 - 07:08 PM.

#98 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

Wow, didn't expect him to be there!! Thanks for the photos. What do we think, is he in character there or not?

He is not in character during Palio of Siena.

He looks from a window overlooking the "Madonna dell'Assunta Palio di Siena" traditional horse race race in Siena, Tuscany, central Italy, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2007.
Horses and their jockeys often tumble during the frenzied race, which pits Siena's 17 neighborhoods against one another and is a major tourist draw for this Tuscan city. Animal rights group have denounced the race as cruel to animals. More than 30 animals have died since 1975. A little as corrida in Spain ... But it is an ancient italian tradition.

But this Palio is part of next Bond 22.

I don't give a care about the horses, are any people hurt? That's what really matters.

#99 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

While I think the race is exciting to watch, especially if you are rooting for someone in particular, I do think the race is too cruel on the horses. I work as a camera operator at standard horse races and it annoys me when a horse falls over, brakes it's leg and has to be put down. They have a lot more room to race aswell! The jockeys have a choice to race or not in the Palio, the horses don't. If a human dies it's their own fault.

I still think it's going to make for an exciting Bond sequence. I'm not against the crew shooting the event seeing the race is up and running.

Edited by Jack Spang, 23 August 2007 - 09:36 PM.

#100 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

...it annoys me when a horse falls over, brakes it's leg and has to be put down. They have a lot more room to race aswell! The jockeys have a choice to race or not in the Palio, the horses don't...

I used to attend horse racing as a child every weekend and I hear you.

They shot that scene in the village in Apocalypse Now. Where do you draw the line when it comes to capturing another's culture? The Bond producers are not staging the event. They happen to be filming it and if ends up in the film...

At least they're not blatently shooting sharks as they did in Thunderball.

#101 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

...it annoys me when a horse falls over, brakes it's leg and has to be put down. They have a lot more room to race aswell! The jockeys have a choice to race or not in the Palio, the horses don't...

They shot that scene in the village in Apocalypse Now. Where do you draw the line when it comes to capturing another's culture? The Bond producers are not staging the event. They happen to be filming it and if ends up in the film...

That's what I meant in my second paragraph. I have no problem with it being in a Bond film. It is culture as is barbaric bull fighting and as you say, the producers are only staging the event. I'm looking forward to seeing the scene as long as we don't see any animals hurt which we won't. I question whether the Palio should continue though.

#102 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:17 AM

That's what I meant in my second paragraph. I have no problem with it being in a Bond film. It is culture as is barbaric bull fighting and as you say, the producers are only staging the event. I'm looking forward to seeing the scene as long as we don't see any animals hurt which we won't. I question whether the Palio should continue though.

I agree, but if the film has any effect, it will be to draw attention to the race's questionable practices. For that reason, it's kind of surprising that they allowed it to be filmed at all. It would get free advertisement, but it would also get more scrutiny.

#103 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

WOW! :cooltongue: That's a pretty violent race! Great Videos! Really nice to see Craig aswell.

#104 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

I agree, but if the film has any effect, it will be to draw attention to the race's questionable practices. For that reason, it's kind of surprising that they allowed it to be filmed at all. It would get free advertisement, but it would also get more scrutiny.

Hmm...I say the folk in the town love their race and it likely would not have dawned on them what the fuss is all about.

Honestly, this is child's play to what the area is used to...from Christians being fed to the lions in Rome for entertainment a couple of millenia ago to Formula One drivers being killed at Monza (some in Ferraris) over the decades...it's par for the course for the Italians.

#105 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

"That's what I meant in my second paragraph. I have no problem with it being in a Bond film. It is culture as is barbaric bull fighting and as you say, the producers are only staging the event. I'm looking forward to seeing the scene as long as we don't see any animals hurt which we won't. I question whether the Palio should continue though."

I meant to say the producers are only shooting the event. Just felt like fixing that up.

This should be a great scene. Craig mentioned that the Aston will have "traditional gadgets". I hope he only means something like a bulletproof windshield, satellite navigation and revolving number plates, that sort of thing. I don't want a tyre shredder, oil slick, hidden machine guns or missiles or anything like that anymore.