308 replies to this topic

#181 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

Matt Kriter here. I'm a bit honoured having my title selected, thanks so much! I can honestly say I was trying to evoke a very specific sense of Fleming in coming up with it, I'm happy a good number seem to agree!

I'm extremely excited for this. Honestly. Usually I don't get overly excited about fan fiction, but I've had my mind totally changed by every morsel of this project that I've seen. I think the fan fiction world is filled with a lot of writers with a LOT of talent, but not always enough polish to make it seem in any way legitimate.

CBN is proving that p.o.v. wrong with every one of these projects :tup:.

Ryan, LOVE your title btw. "All's hell that ends well" just sounds like something so cynically ripped right out of the genre that it....just...I don't know. Can't wait to read it, and everything else. Kudos to Jim for keeping this thing rolling.

#182 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

These tales are going to be fun. Except for Clinkeroo's - his'll be bleak. :tup:

It redefines bleak. "Bleak" would be an injustice of a description.

#183 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hello, I'm Trident. I've written 'Repellant Affair'. It cost me several days without sleep, pints of blood, sweat, tears and coffee, kept me clinging with my teeth on my composure and almost ruined my nerves for good. In other words I haven't had such fun, pleasure and amusement for quite some time and I wholeheartedly enjoyed every single minute of it.

Looks like I'm a little bit weird, doesn't it?

Now, seeing my story lined up with some of the finest writers in fanfic and beyond, people whose works I've enjoyed with awe and wonder and whose stories mesmerized, captured, in some cases even enslaved me, this is nothing but fabulous! Absolutely awesome! I feel truly honoured being part of this project and I'm so grateful to all those CBners involved.

Thank you all very, very much for making this happen.

Thank you, Jim for setting up these brilliant teasers. Can't wait for May the 28th to read the other stories. :tup:

Edited by Trident, 29 March 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#184 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

Ryan, LOVE your title btw. "All's hell that ends well" just sounds like something so cynically ripped right out of the genre that it....just...I don't know. Can't wait to read it, and everything else. Kudos to Jim for keeping this thing rolling.

Yeah, I think it's a great title. Just sounds like something worth reading.

#185 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

I'm loving the sound of these, and can't wait. Jim, how naughty of you to feign ignorance of your own title's origins above - and you surely have an alternate career as a writer of film trailer voiceovers waiting for you to make a deliciously sarcy comment about in your next post. :tup:

#186 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, I think it's a great title. Just sounds like something worth reading.

Hey, thanks to you both for your kind - possibly lying :tup: - words. I had a great time writing this little Bondian epsiode, and I hope you all find it worth reading.
I love the title that was selected - definitely holds a Fleming evocation to it. From the little tidbit Jim gave us, it certainly sounds like you wrote your story with a lot of character insight and skill, Matt (in fact, all the tidbits for this collection sound that way!). I've recently begun reading the FanFic on this site, and I've just reached your story in MFM, Matt. I look forward to reading it, and anything else you end up posting on these boards. So often FanFic comes off as corny writing by people who aren't necessarily writers, but the fanfic posted here has uncovered a goldmine of strong, imaginative authors. That also includes Mr. Clink, whose novel, "From Death's Door," also has me currently engrossed. I plan to read everything here in time, and especially look forward to FYWR.
Cheers!

#187 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Ryan. Hope you enjoy MFM - my entry for this was NOTHING like the one for that, though. The difference is comparable to Brosnan films vs. Craig's. I think that's what made it exciting to try.

#188 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:38 AM

That also includes Mr. Clink, whose novel, "From Death's Door," also has me currently engrossed. I plan to read everything here in time, and especially look forward to FYWR.
Cheers!

Thanks for the plug and I hope you enjoy :tup: .

#189 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:45 AM

Dammit, and to think I was such a lazybones that I didn't contribute... :tup:

#190 AMVanish13

AMVanish13

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

I wrote "Quality of the Stone", and now I'll admit I'm a little worried if it'll do this collection justice! The title is brilliant and these little teaser things can't hold me over until May. I'm sure it's all great stuff and I'm excited.

#191 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

I'm a bit curious and I like to know how many contributions was given this project?

#192 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

I like to know how many contributions was given this project?

Ooh, lashings.

Only three didn't make it - two withdrew graciously upon only sending half and then not being able to complete (and seemed unpersuaded by my invitation to leave them as cliffhangers) and one, who seemed to be someone not actually a member of this site, sent me some gay p

#193 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

[quote name='Jim' post='859668' date='11 April 2008 - 12:29']Only three didn't make it - two withdrew graciously upon only sending half and then not being able to complete (and seemed unpersuaded by my invitation to leave them as cliffhangers) and one, who seemed to be someone not actually a member of this site, sent me some gay p

#194 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:03 PM

[quote name='clinkeroo' post='859684' date='11 April 2008 - 18:04'][quote name='Jim' post='859668' date='11 April 2008 - 12:29']Only three didn't make it - two withdrew graciously upon only sending half and then not being able to complete (and seemed unpersuaded by my invitation to leave them as cliffhangers) and one, who seemed to be someone not actually a member of this site, sent me some gay p

#195 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

I never knew one could do that with a pineapple.

Oh... Now I understand this odd line by Felix Leiter in CR:
"Keep the fruit"

#196 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

One month to go! Anybody care to comment on how progress is? Jim, I'm looking at you.

#197 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

[mra]Yes, Jim, I must get with you this week on the cover. I

#198 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'm very much looking forward to reading this collection! The excerpts are great teasers!

#199 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

Ten days to go... It's the final countdown! :tup:

#200 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

I'm guessing everybody will be giving DMC the backseat until they've read this, right?
Any cover art?
Looking forward to it!

#201 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:59 AM

Ha, I'm looking forward to it as well! Should see it mid next-week if all goes to plan, I presume?

#202 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

003 days to go... tic, tac, tic, tac... :tup:

#203 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

Have any extracts been published in the Times yet?
The Mods' silence on this subject is most haunting and yet suspenseful.

#204 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

Have any extracts been published in the Times yet?

No, they have only published an extract of the other fanfiction, by Sebastian Faulks :tup: But I hope CBn's advertising Forever Yours, With Regret on a digital strip banner at Piccadilly Circus! :tup:

#205 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

I've heard Barbara Broccoli read an advanced copy. She was quoted as saying that had somebody told her this book was found in Ian Fleming's garbage she would have believed it. Not sure what she meant by that.

#206 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

I'm guessing everybody will be giving DMC the backseat until they've read this, right?

Given the fact that I'll have to wait till Amazon delivers DMC I actually will read 'Forever Yours, With Regret' first. And I'm really dying to.

Edited by Trident, 25 May 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#207 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Almost thirteen months since I posted the first post in the thread (30 april 2007), and now we're only tree days away. It's an understatement to say I'm thrilled :tup:

#208 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

Almost thirteen months since I posted the first post in the thread (30 april 2007), and now we're only tree days away. It's an understatement to say I'm thrilled :tup:

We have you to thank for this other literary centennary tribute to Fleming - so thanks! :tup:

#209 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

We have you to thank for this other literary centennary tribute to Fleming - so thanks! :tup:

Yes, definitely. Thanks a lot for this splendid idea!

#210 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

No, thanks to all you who made it get wings and take off. I lift my glass to you...cheerio!