This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Critics said and are saying too often...

99 replies to this topic

#61 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 08:55 AM

Whatever. He was still awful.

#62 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:39 AM

With Roger's new film coming out soon, all I can say is that it puts a whole new meaning to his 'I've been known to dabble [in the kitchen]' line in AVTAK.

#63 Lady Sinclair

Lady Sinclair

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:55 AM

"Dalton would headbutt Moore, kick him to the floor, bang his head on a table and cut his heart out. "

...The strong, tall and the muscle-bound Roger would surely win the battle against Dalton.

#64 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:56 AM

Dalton was tall (6ft 2), strong and musclebound. On that basis it's a pretty even contest. Dalton edges it on his prowess as a headbutter.

#65 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:04 PM

Has anyone read MAD's satire of For Your Eyes Only entitled: For Her Thighs Only? The last panel has 'James Bomb' showing Melina how he manges to keep on doing his work: lots of stuntmen. There's even a sex-stuntman!

Funny stuff, but Rog only made two bad films, which were not bad due to his acting (well, some parts were) and so he's still fantastic in my book.

#66 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 04:44 PM

2? I count TMWTGG, MR and AVTAK

#67 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 05:23 PM

Moore would make Dalton watch Moonraker for torture, and then Dalton would make Moore watch Flash Gordeon, Sextette, Brenda Star, The Living Daylights, License To Drive--I mean, Kill....

#68 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Bondpurist
Ian Fleming would  turn in his grave if he knew the godawful woodeness of Roger Moore and his ridiculous one liners.

No, no, no. Fleming himself preferred Moore to Connery for the role of Bond. Now, what does that mean? It means Fleming thought Moore's acting style and look were good enough for Bond - I'm not going to argue against the creator of James Bond, are you?

And Xen, sign me up for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore ...

#69 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 07:31 PM

We've already had this discussion. Moore never was Bond during Flemming's lifetime - if he thought Connery was going to be bad but then admitted he was good afterwards, I don't think Flemming's gut instincts were always particularly right, especially not on the subject of who should play Bond.

#70 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 10:53 PM

Exqueeze me? You're saying the man WHO INVENTED BOND wouldn't know who would be best to play HIS OWN character?! I'm lost, Bondpurist....

But Fleming did indeed show a preference towards Moore, during his stint as Simon Templar in The Saint T.V. Series.

On another note, Bondpurist, this is your second warning about mindless posting of utter rubbish, and several mods have pointed it out to me too. If I see anymore of it, I will delete your posts without prior warning, just look above for a prime example of useless posting.

Consider this your SECOND WARNING. Capiche?

Look forward to posting SENSIBLY with you soon. :)

#71 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 08:29 AM

this is your second warning about mindless posting of utter rubbish

That is your opinion - you can't threaten me just because you don't agree with me. There was nothing wrong with that last post - it was expressing my opinion. Just because you consider it to be wrong doesn't mean you can call it a 'mindless posting of utter rubbish' - that's arrogant and offensive. I was merely stating the fact that Fleming didn't show the greatest judgement concerning the Bondactor with Conery beforehand and so the same may of applied to Moore. I think that's perfectly reasonable and would appreciate if you didn't act like a power crazed school prefect.

#72 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 08:34 AM

Joining in the schoolyard fun...

Everyone circle round...

Fight! Fight! Fight!

BeePers - note the "Staff Member" thing under Dunphboy's name. Revolutions are fine, if you know you're going to win.

#73 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 08:35 AM

Just because he's a staff member doesn't mean he can bully people into not expressing their opinion.

#74 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 07:18 PM

I thought you expressed your opinions anyway BP;). If you're talking about Dunphboy, he doesn't seem to be a bully.

#75 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:58 PM

He said that I was talking 'utter rubbish' - this was HIS opinion and HIS only - he said that he'd delete them if I continued just because he disagreed - what's that if it isn't bullying???

#76 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Bondpurist (edited)
That is your opinion - you can't threaten me just because you don't agree with me.

Sure, he can. And if he doesn't I will. I've warned you several times myself, Bondpurist. And after that stunt you pulled in the The Kiling Zone thread you are on serious thin ice. The next step is banning you from the board for a couple of days. Stop being antagonistic and stop crying that you're entitled to your opinion when you have no care about the opinions of others.

#77 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:50 PM

Let me get this straight - just because I disagreed with an administrator on a subject pertaining to Bond, expressing an inoffensive opinion - that because Fleming thought Connery was a good Bond after he saw him as Bond but thought he was a bad choice before, it might of worked the other way round and he might of disliked Moore after seeing him as Bond after liking him before seeing him as Bond. That opinion is totally reasonable. Because of it however I have been threatened and bullied. My opinion was perfectly docile. If Dunphboy disagreed, then fine - he, like me, has a right to express an opinion, in this case that my view was 'utter rubbish.' But that opinion, coupled with his power over me, doesn't give him the right to threaten me. Nor does it give Mr Asterix a similar right.
I am being targetted here for a few minor or non existent offences.
1) Giving a totally reasonable opinion on a Bond related subject.
2)Giving away a bit of the plot of some mickey-mouse unofficial Bond story away, information that doesn't tell you anything meaningful per se.
3) Criticising others opinions and provoking healthy debate.

That's totally unreasonable. I repect others opinions the same as others respect mine. I criticise others opinions and voice my disagreement and have every right to do so, and do do only so. I am constantly being chastised just because I disagree and express my disagreement - if you're going to indict me of some mortal sin then please give evidence of my commital of such an offence.
If the CommanderBond forums administrators have a problem with expression of, in this case as much as any other, reasonable opinion, and disagreement with others opinions, then I will not post on these forums ever again, In fact, if I don't recieve a FULL APOLOGY for threats to delete my posts, erase my opinions, or ban me altogether, then I will cancel my membership of these forums and tell others of this disgraceful behaviour. I hardly think Commanderbond.com is any state to make enemies out of their users as well as MGM.

#78 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 04:21 PM

He said that I was talking 'utter rubbish' - this was HIS opinion and HIS only - he said that he'd delete them if I continued just because he disagreed - what's that if it isn't bullying???

Practical and sensitive editorial control?

#79 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 04:28 PM

I don't think you could get anything straight if you tried. No apology is forthcoming. Please let everyone know when you talk bad about CommanderBond.com how you twisted what everyone else said and argued constantly. Just for the record I'm given the right to 'bully' you by the person who owns this board, so don't tell me I don't have the right.

#80 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 04:37 PM

Bondpurist,

Through having my attention drawn to you by SEVERAL staff and forum members, I have viewed your posts, and many have either made a very aggressive point or no point at all.

posted by Bondpurist:
Let me get this straight - just because I disagreed with an administrator on a subject pertaining to Bond

Let me set you straight, I'm more than open to opinions expressed by others, I'd like to think of myself as very open minded. Though when users start offending each other:

Well, Irish clown...

I tend to take note, also when conversations fall into a spiral of nonsensical rubbish:

Dalton would headbutt Moore, kick him to the floor, bang his head on a table and cut his heart out.

Again, I tend to take note. There is no need for such violent and unneccesary thrusting of your opinions on to others, I am not a bully, I am issuing you with a warning. A very stern warning. We very seldom have problems on these forums, and I for one rarely respond to any trouble we do have, but through your consistent insults, degradation of people's views and cycle of stupidly repetitive posts having been brought to my attention, I have no other choice but to respond.

It ends now.

Be a team player, I love a bit of heated debate, but only with intelligent banter, not the sort of brash, narrow mindedness that I, and many others have witnessed in recent days from you.
Personally I would rate Dalton as one of my five favourite Bonds, but I won't smother people by consistently making the same argument all the time. By all means, argue your point, but argue it well, or we may not give you a chance to argue it at all.

I hope this has made it clear, and I do believe I speak for everyone on these forums.

Thanks for your time.

#81 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 04:44 PM

Fleming thought Connery was a good Bond after he saw him as Bond but thought he was a bad choice before, it might of worked the other way round and he might of disliked Moore after seeing him as Bond after liking him before seeing him as Bond.

Ignoring the irrelevancies of BP's last post (for good?), he is right to say that Fleming might have hated Moore as Bond had he seen him. He may have done, but unfortunately we'll never know.

All we DO know is that Fleming thought him suitable prior to Dr No and that's good enough for me.

It's a shame Dalton or George or Pierce or Hugh or Clive weren't around then and we could avoid all the arguments about whether any of them would have been Fleming's choice over Roger - well, we'll never know that either.

#82 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:22 PM

I suppose we could talk to John Edward and see what he thinks...but then again, it was just a thought.

#83 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:31 PM

As a fan of all five Bond actors (yes, I neither hate one, nor hold one above the rest). I will say this about Roger and Tim:

Roger played the role great, he was suave, he was funny, and he was very much a ladies man. True, he may not been playing "Fleming's Bond" but he was very popular in the role, hey, 13 years dont lie.

As for Dalton, he played it tough, he played it mean. For as much as I liked Dalton, thats all he brought to the role, he was not suave, he could not deliver the one liners, and he was not a ladies man. He also was not widely popular, which is why he didnt come back to the role for a third film.

#84 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:49 PM

Here, I just read this article. Check this out.

{On August 6, 1986, Timothy Dalton, whose name had never been publicly mentioned as a contender prior to late July, was publicly named as the 4th James Bond. That very week every newsstand in America featured an annoyed-looking Pierce Brosnan on the cover of People Magazine with the headline, "Take This Job and Shove It," referring to Steele's "uncancellation." Dalton's publicist requested a cover story for his client the following week, but the magazine declined. In many people's minds, this action typified Dalton why never gained widespread acceptance in the role - he was a "second-choice" Bond to many, considering the momentum and raised expectations Brosnan had been building for the past 4 years.

Filming of The Living Daylights with Dalton as Bond began in late September 1986. But within 6 months, before the film was even released, a story was printed in a British newspaper that said Pierce Brosnan would be 007 in the next Bond film after The Living Daylights. These continual rumors were to haunt Dalton throughout his whole tenure as Bond.}

From the http://www.klast.net/bond/pb_road.html website.

#85 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:06 PM

Looks like everyone was against Dalton from the beginning. Its a shame if you dont even get a chance to prove yourself.

#86 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:08 PM

In keeping with the spirit of the Roger Moore area, Dalton was like Bond in Live and Let Die when he was nailed in Harlem from the get-go by Mr. Big and his thugs.

#87 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Dunphboy007
I hope this has made it clear, and I do believe I speak for everyone on these forums.

You speak for everyone, including all of the staff. In this forums time I've received about 8 complaints for various thing. In the past two days I've recieved 4! And all about BondPurist!

#88 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 03:09 PM

I'm had enough of these forums. Mao said it all really. 'All reactionaries are paper tigers.' Judging from you lot he was dead right. Don't bother ranting on at me anymore. I won't read it.

#89 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 06:23 PM

Well it's a shame you feel that way, as you obviously have done wrong, but I won't say I'm sorry to see you go.

Shame you couldn't come to terms.

#90 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 08:32 PM

Bondpurist has gone, for good? YES!
::Carver pops the champange open::
There has been a lot of hostility on these lovely, happy forums since Bondpurist has been here, and I'm not alone in saying that we won't miss him, am I right?