This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Critics said and are saying too often...

99 replies to this topic

#31 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 02:07 AM

Amen to that LTK...the more...or should I say MOORE...the merrier!

-- Xenobia

#32 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 02:00 PM

Here's a listing of my favorite Bonds just to add fuel to the fire...
Connery and Brosnan are tied as my favorite. Then you have Lazenby and then you have Moore in his 3 best Bonds...and then somedays I might say David Niven....and then there's the Flash Gordon guy.

#33 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 04:54 PM

Well, Irish clown, here's my favourite Bonds.....
Dalton way out in front for being cruel, dark and a brilliant actor. Then comes Sean Connery well behind, then Brosnan who's quite good followed by some Australian guy, then Barry Nelson, then David Niven followed by the bloke out of 'The Saint' - erm.........wimp.......bad actor....oh yes, Moore.

#34 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:27 PM

Okay, fellas. We can insult each others favourite Bonds, but let us not start insulting each other. Thanks.

#35 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:29 PM

He shouldn't start such an ignorant and unfounded assault on Dalton then. Anyway, what was so bad about that last post?

#36 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:39 PM

Please don't call me ignorant. You don't like Moore, I don't like Dalton. I can live with that. Thank you.

#37 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:42 PM

I'm sorry but I get a bit annoyed at Dalton being called a wimp when he only followed what the script says! It's not up to him how the fight scenes are choreographed! (Anyway he gave the badguys a good hiding)

#38 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 06:30 PM

Oh, Bondpurist, are you on this one too?

#39 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

Here comes Carver with his huge oar to stick it in! Ok, this is just drawing BPs attention away from IC do he can take a break, you can call it a tag team if you like!:) Moore certainly wasn't wimpish, he could throw a decent punch, kick, and Dalton could merley slap the bad guys round the face with his handbag. Moore and Dalton in the ring, who would win I wonder, Moore with his eyebrow, Dalton with the handbag, hmmmm. Let's forget the nass-ty comments please and just let this boil down to a friendly degate please, and no personal arguements, because these forums are a friendly place, with no bad fight, just friendly debates. So lets stop the nasty comments, and just debate, over whos better, Moore or Dalton (Moore is BTW:D).

#40 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 08:07 AM

Our debate was perfectly friendly thankyou - I do believe we have a right to freedom of speech anyway. As for Dalton being a wimp: hardly. He was the only Bond ever to headbutt an enemy, and wasn't immune to be rough with only his enemies - he sends that SAS guard flying when he runs into him at the start of TLD. And what about that punch against Necros on the plane? He picks his spot and WHAM! Necros gets sent flying. Anyway, Dalton's strength as Bond lies not in his fighting ability or otherwise, but in his acting and his closeness to Fleming's Bond.Anyway- Dalton did what it said in the script, and if the script instructed that he not win every fight without a hitch and be some sort of invincible super heroe then so be it. Anyway, the TLD script was originally written for MOORE. So there. Tim is not a wimp, and could certainly beat up Lazenby.

#41 Lady Sinclair

Lady Sinclair

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 10:41 AM

Roger is certainly not a muscleman and surely less strong than Connery, Lazenby and...Mr. Dalton but he's very fast and his fights were the best

#42 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:04 PM

On the subject of Dalton's headbutt, what was the effect of that anyway? It didn't change anything. I like the comment about Dalton hitting with his handbag. Very nice.

#43 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:53 PM

Dalton made two headbutts ; one in TLD and one in LTK aagainst Dario. Do you know how difficult and painful a headbutt is to pull off? You have to be a pretty tough nut to do it and get away with it. Having done it twice I conclude Timothy Dalton is a tough nut. As for the 'handbags' bit........? When did Dalton ever have anything to do with a handbag? I don't get it.

#44 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Bondpurist
As for the 'handbags' bit........? When did Dalton ever have anything to do with a handbag? I don't get it.

I was about to ask the same exact thing. :)

As for the fight scenes, I find it a little more realistic if when someone is fighting, it is an actual struggle because that is what it is, rather than having one guy casually blocking punches and calmly knocking the other person out with one blow (or in the case of Brosnan, pulling out a gun and shooting him with an endless supply of bullets. :) ).

#45 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 02:44 PM

Hey, Brosnan looks pretty good firing off those bullets. Just the sight of him holding the gun is far more convincing than Dim Dalton putting up his fists...see? Then it becomes a comedy.

#46 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 05:41 PM

Dim Dalton? Hardly! As Rossman says, a fight scene is much more realistic and entertaining if it isn't totally one sided. Timothy Dalton is tough as nails - having just rewatched LTK 3 times in 2 days I have his many punches, kicks and, yes, headbutts fixed clearly in my mind and it is becoming more and more incredulous that Tim Dalton is a 'wimp'. He lays out people in the following locations; The seedy bar, on the Seaplane, on the Wavekrest, in the drug/petrol facility, during the Truck sequence, etc., etc. The only times he is on the receiving end is when the ninjas ambush him just after his assasination attempt on Sanchez, but they outnumbered him and had equipment to assist them, and when the guy punches him in the bar. Apart from that he lays into at least 3-4 people in the bar, the crew of the seaplane, Dario in the facility, the driver of the Truck, the bloke on the Wavekrest - he lays them all out with some fairly hefty punches, and he rarely, if ever, needs a weapon to win a fight. When he is just in his pyjama bottoms in the Lupe/Sanchez scenes, you can see his muscles and they're pretty impressive - not exactly Sean Connery, but he's still a fairly strong man.

#47 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 02:58 PM

License to Kill 3 x in 2 days? My God, I thought back in 1987 watching Never Say Never Again twice in one day to ogle Kim Basinger was bad enough!

#48 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:49 PM

That's nothing - I once saw Thunderball, TLD X 2, Goldfinger and LTK in one day

#49 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:52 PM

Nobody cares any more BP:rolleyes:

#50 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps, but do you really think that that's going to put me off?

#51 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:59 PM

Well, being as hardly anybody replies to your posts Bp, you should care. And you are ging crazy with the reply button, slow down a little, and people may grow to like you;)

#52 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

Irishcrown replies to me plenty. So do other people. like you. Nice signature by the way.

#53 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:05 PM

We only reply to see what you say next, becuase you do scrape the bottom of the barrel for replies in arguements! BTW, my sig has been there for ages, don't say you only just noticed it!

#54 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:08 PM

don't say you only just noticed it!

I only just noticed it.

#55 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 02:39 PM

What a vibrant debate about Timothy Dalton and his stuntmen versus Roger Moore and his stuntmen playing a fictional character to a script.

Moore I feel just shades it, because of the shamelessly brazen use of a red-headed stuntman fifteen kilos lighter than him. Moore might not have been able to "take" Dalton, but I rather expect that Testarossa would have caved Timothy's head in.

#56 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 03:15 PM

you know what I like them all equally....they're all good and it's really quite petty to get so into who's better...no need to get angry if you don't like another actor....

#57 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 07:59 PM

Moore I feel just shades it, because of the shamelessly brazen use of a red-headed stuntman fifteen kilos lighter than him. Moore might not have been able to "take" Dalton, but I rather expect that Testarossa would have caved Timothy's head in.

Moore shade's it because of that!?!?!? That has nothing to do with Moore, but is because of his stuntman - I'm talking about the actors themselves , not their stuntman. Dalton would headbutt Moore, kick him to the floor, bang his head on a table and cut his heart out. Perhaps the stuntmen may do something different, but that isn't what the argument (Ooops, I mean 'debate' or 'discussion') is about.

#58 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:03 AM

Dalton would headbutt Moore, kick him to the floor, bang his head on a table and cut his heart out.

How "nice"

#59 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 08:07 AM

Moore deserves it for TMWTGG, MR and AVTAK. That's not to mention the saint and the professionals!!

#60 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 19 August 2002 - 08:54 AM

Moore deserves it for TMWTGG, MR and AVTAK. That's not to mention the saint and the professionals!!

I assume you mean The Persuaders.