This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Critics said and are saying too often...

99 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Sinclair

Lady Sinclair

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 08:52 AM

...Roger Moore was not strong enough, too wimpy, too homorous, to old and he can't act. What's your reaction?

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 01:57 PM

I don't listen to the critics much anyway. :)

I'll be honest, Roger Moore is only my fifth favourite James Bond. But I'm a actually-I-think-the-glass-is-a-bit-more-than-half-full kind of guy, so the fifth best James Bond is still mega-fantastic. Roger was a darned fine James Bond. And while there are places in films that Roger didn't play the part the way I would have like to have seen it, Roger played it his way and I respect that. I'll let the critics have their opinion, but I'll not let it sway mine.

#3 JJ Guy

JJ Guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:22 PM

too wimpy??? I'd like to know which part!!!

#4 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 06:16 PM

Where's Xenobia when you need her?! I quite liked Roger as Bond, not my favourite but a bloody fine Bond!

#5 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 06:00 PM

Roger did 3 really good movies as Bond out of the 7 he did. I liked him in The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, and Octopussy. I still am shocked every time I see the end of Spy when he does the massive overkill of Stromberg, but I still like it, because it's Bond, baby!

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 07:47 PM

Rog wasn't my favourite Bond, but he wasn't my least favourite either. He was great, a brilliant actor, excellently suave, and a good actor to play Bond. He was harsh in the way he killed people (Loque in FYEO,Sandor in TSWLM,Stromberg in TSWLM), he was athletic, and he played Bond 7, yes 7 times. That goes to show how popular he was. I liked him better than Dalton, because Dalton was not at all suave, and other there are other reasons he was better but I won't put them up on here at the moment. I don't like the way people say bad things about Moore, he was a great Bond, so no bad things please. BTW, this topic has been talked about SOOOOO many times, so this will probably be the last time I reply to it, unless something new comes up.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 11:14 AM

Moore, the least convincingly dangerous, the worst dressed (that safari suit!) and least athletic of all the Bonds, yet the one who pulls more women than any of others!

#8 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
Moore, the least convincingly dangerous, the worst dressed (that safari suit!) and least athletic of all the Bonds, yet the one who pulls more women than any of others!

With the kind of money he was pulling in towards the end of his run, he could bloody well afford to have all the women he wanted.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 07:29 PM

Xenobia to the rescue!

My dear Lady Sinclair:

Try to think of it like this: Roger Moore has made seven films...more than the other four have done. He has his golden two (as Connery and Brosnan do) and his had his bombs (which Connery, Dalton, and Brosnan do.) What Moore has that none of the others have is the time to make middle of the road movies that are not terrible..but not great either. If you are quick to lump those middle of the road movies in with the bad movies...then yes, RM does appear to be the weakest Bond. But he is far from it.

To wit....not strong enough? Too wimpy? Perhaps you want to speak to Kristatos' agent that went over the mountainside in a car, kicked over by Bond in FYEO. Or perhaps you want to talk to Fekkesh who was able to inspect the stucco job on his home...the wrong way...courtesy of Mr. Bond.

Too humourous? I ask you...was he laughing when he reminded Anya of what this business could do to people, or when Countess Lisel died?

Can't Act? If you can make the audience believe that James Bond was attracted to Susy Sutton...*that's* acting!

Too Old? At least Roger grew old gracefully, unlike Connery who treated us to those wonderful rugs in DAF and NSNA. Besides, some of the most memorable moments came from that older Bond looking at life and death in FYEO.

Worst dressed? Ok....you got me there...but you can't blame Roger for being victim of the seventies...the worst fashion period ever!

So in short, Roger Moore is nowhere near the worst Bond. What he is, is the most underrated.

-- Xenobia

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:27 AM

Originally posted by IrishCrown

With the kind of money he was pulling in towards the end of his run, he could bloody well afford to have all the women he wanted.

What on earth are you suggesting?

#11 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 06:42 PM

Roger was made good money towards the end of his reign as Bond. He got 5 mil in 1985 for a View To A Kill. That was what I was suggesting.

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:59 PM

He was making that kind of money...yes...but he was in no way able to dictate casting...in effect, his hands were tied.

-- Xenobia

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 07:20 AM

Five million dollars for AVTAK? That's a lot of cash, especially for 1985.

#14 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:38 PM

Sean got 3 mil for Never Say Never Again in 1983.

#15 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:48 PM

Moore was athletic. Ok, maybe not in AVTAK, but watch TSWLM, when he is fighting the two men near the pyramids, the way he swings round and kicks the one guy, geez, he really was athletic! Moore was great Bond, and that's all I have to say, thank you:p

#16 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 03:30 PM

Was that Roger or his stunt double?

#17 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 12:21 PM

I think it was Roger:)

#18 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 08:37 PM

I liked him better than Dalton, because Dalton was not at all suave

????
Moore better than Dalton? You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't think why you'd rate Moore, who looked nothing like Fleming's Bond, was too old for most of the time, was a pretty average actor to say the least and played Bond like a comedian instead of a spy over the superb, the cruel, the mean, the dashingly handsome Dalton. Dalton could act Moore out of any stage, was a million times closer than Moore to Fleming's 007 and much more serious as 007. Most of the worst films (TMWTGG, AVTAK) were done with Moore as Bond, and I don't believe in coincidence. As for suaveness, Dalton's couldn't-give-a damn-till-someone-throws-Leiter-to-the-sharks coolness and effortless brilliance made Moore and his pathetic wisecracks look ridiculous and quite tragic.

#19 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 08:45 PM

Ugh, you love arguements don't you Bondpurist?:) Well, it wasn't all Moores fault that they were the worst films, mostly the whole plots and screenplay were the problems. Ok, he was too old in AVTAK, but prehaps the producers though they were going to have a Connery/Lazenby situation again, Rog was their saving grace when LALD came.

#20 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:06 PM

Yes, I do love arguments. Roger Moore was a disgrace to the Bond name - his stupid antics were more suited to a carry on film than a Bond film and his looks were just plain ugly. The bad scripts were written to suit his acting style, i.e. awful, compared to Tim and Sean

#21 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:09 PM

Ok, I accept that you love arguements, but just don't start them all with me, there are over 600 members on these forums ya know!

#22 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:15 PM

I see you didn't deny that : "Roger Moore was a disgrace to the Bond name - his stupid antics were more suited to a carry on film than a Bond film and his looks were just plain ugly. The bad scripts were written to suit his acting style, i.e. awful, compared to Tim and Sean" On the last post Carver!

#23 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:17 PM

No, I just couldn't be bothered to argue with you, I have already nearly got in trouble before for defending what I belive in :)

#24 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 02:05 AM

I will step in to say that Roger Moore was by no means a disgrace to the Bond series. If he was, Cubby Broccoli would not have allowed him to make seven films.

The problem is...we forget that Fleming never had the chance to let James Bond get older. Roger Moore did get older...and perhaps if Fleming could have, he would have written a novel along the lines of FYEO that showcased an older, wiser spy, making his way in the world.

But alas, Fleming died relatively young, and we will never know what would have happened to Bond as he got older. I would like to think that RM's portrayal is not such a departure from what could have been.

-- Xenobia

#25 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 07:11 PM

Ian Fleming would turn in his grave if he knew the godawful woodeness of Roger Moore and his ridiculous one liners. James Bond himself would scoff at the old duffer's portrayal of him.

#26 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 07:57 PM

I liked him better than Dalton, because Dalton was not at all suave

Dalton had as much sophistication as a bull during the Runnings in Pamplona. He looked like a horses behind too.

~LTK~

#27 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia
I will step in to say that Roger Moore was by no means a disgrace to the Bond series.  If he was, Cubby Broccoli would not have allowed him to make seven films.

The problem is...we forget that Fleming never had the chance to let James Bond get older.  Roger Moore did get older...and perhaps if Fleming could have, he would have written a novel along the lines of FYEO that showcased an older, wiser spy, making his way in the world.  

But alas, Fleming died relatively young, and we will never know what would have happened to Bond as he got older.  I would like to think that RM's portrayal is not such a departure from what could have been.

-- Xenobia

Amen sister! I also agree with what License to Kill said, but me being the forums thicko, can't figure out how to quote him as well:p

#28 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 08:27 PM

Ian Fleming would turn in his grave. Timothy Dalton kicks the living daylights out of Moore in every respect.

#29 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 08:51 PM

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, of course.

~LTK~

#30 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 08:55 PM

And Xen, I also want to be in your Roger Moore Prevention Society :)