Mathis

101 replies to this topic

#91 ralawar

ralawar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:00 AM

They made Mathis way too ambiguous in CR. There are too many possible unknown variables running out of audience view that could reveal his alliegiance to any side. You can argue him for good or bad, so we won't know for sure until next movie (hopefully). This was most likely on purpose so that they can make him more interesting and dynamic instead of a boring, good-guy friend of Bond's - like slowly unveiling his mysterious character across multiple movies instead of a predictable helper in one.

And I agree with The Villan's statement about M on Mathis.

#92 luigi007

luigi007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hi everybody. This is my first post.
I'm an italian boy and I'm very proud of Giannini's interpetation of Mathis. I'd love him to be the main villain in Bond 22. He has the right charisma for the job. What do you think ?

#93 the other fellow

the other fellow

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

The more i read these posts, the more ambiguity i see in Mathis.
Is he playing Bond AND Le Chiffre for the sake of the BIG PICTURE?
Was he tortured for information prior to the poisoning scene(he seems to appear tired or ill in later scenes)?

Edited by the other fellow, 12 January 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#94 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:12 AM

Hi everybody. This is my first post.
I'm an italian boy and I'm very proud of Giannini's interpetation of Mathis. I'd love him to be the main villain in Bond 22. He has the right charisma for the job. What do you think ?

Welcome to CBn :cooltongue: I think that Giannini is a great actor, and therefore would love to see him return for BOND 22, but I'm still hoping that it won't be as a villain. I'd like to think that he didn't truly betray Bond, but we shall have to wait and see.

#95 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:34 AM

They made Mathis way too ambiguous in CR.

I love the ambiguity. Movies should make you talk about them for days or months afterwards, and this has been achieved. it's a good discussion.

We will have to wait until the next movie, but I hope Mathis returns, and I don't mind if he is good or bad.

#96 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:40 AM

Doesnt anyone have the script where M explains to Bond at the end about how and why Vesper betrayed Bond? She explains about Vesper's boyfriend who was kidnapped et al and why and how. Now in this piece of dialogue does M say that Vesper worked for LC or for the shady organization? :cooltongue:

#97 the other fellow

the other fellow

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:40 AM

Doesnt anyone have the script where M explains to Bond at the end about how and why Vesper betrayed Bond? She explains about Vesper's boyfriend who was kidnapped et al and why and how. Now in this piece of dialogue does M say that Vesper worked for LC or for the shady organization? :cooltongue:

I haven't read the script DS, but in the film M states that Vesper was blackmailed
into working for the organization. M doesn't mention Le Chiffre.
I hope that helps.

#98 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

I haven't read the script DS, but in the film M states that Vesper was blackmailed
into working for the organization. M doesn't mention Le Chiffre.
I hope that helps.

So lets think that she was working for LC and White knew this too.

#99 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

Well, Le Chiffre was working for the Organisation, or through, so Mr. White could have given Vesper to Le Chiffre :cooltongue:

#100 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:36 PM

The tell was that thing with his finger on his temple not the blood.

Actually, the real tell was the semi-double blink Le Chiffre does when he is bluffing. The finger thing is to try and hide it. Unfortunately because of the tip off, Bond falls for the finger to the temple as being the tell, because I don't believe Le Chiffre does the semi-double blink when he fools Bond.

But then why would he tell Vesper and Mathis the wrong tell?

That's not what he says to Mathis and Vesper, Bond says Le Chiffre does the finger thing is 'to hide his tell'.

Yes the finger is a tell, but he wouldn't do the finger thing if not for the double eye twitch. Which is the real tell. So essentially Le Chiffre is trying to replace one tell for the other. I'd imagine that his eye twitch is fairly prominent if he doesn't have the finger there.

Also, when Le Chiffre does the finger-on-the-head thing after Bond bought-in, he immediately folds when he realizes he did it.

Plus, Le Chiffre never does the semi-double blink thing after Bond noticed the finger-on-the-head tell again.

He doesn't need to double-blink again as soon as he puts his finger to his eye he knows he's blown it.

#101 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

If Le Chiffre was as smart as he said he was, then why didn't he keep his finger up there through the whole game to hide the twitch?

#102 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:10 PM

Thanks to the spoilers set forth recently, we'll find out Mathis' story in the next film :cooltongue: