'The Battle For Bond: The Genesis of Cinema's Greatest Hero'

219 replies to this topic

#61 bang bang

bang bang

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

At the moment this is a UK publication only. Currently it is not available on the US amazon site, but it can be purchased on the Canadian amazon site. In any case, you'll have to wait for it to be shipped over which can take a month or so. If you order the book from the publisher directly, Tomahawk Press, they will then airmail it to you. So you'll get it faster.

#62 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

I'm a little appalled at the fact that some people are balking at buying this book because you have to pay a few extra bucks shipping.

It looks like a landmark work, well researched, with a lot of rare photographs, printed in a limited quantity by a niche publisher.

It isn't some "official" lame POS that reguritates the party line accompanied by the same photos you've seen hundreds of times before.

The author has been diligent in keeping CBn informed about all aspects of the book, and has even given us an exclusive preview.

I like saving money as much as the next guy, but come on Cbners, independent Bond books (especially of this calibre) should be celebrated and eagerly purchased.

And what happens down the line when other authors come forward with possible Bond books?

"Oh, we can't publish that - Bond books don't sell. The fan base is much too cheap!"

#63 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

I'll second that motion! If this was some crap book, I could understand wanting to get it as cheap as possible. From all indications, this book is going to knock our collective socks off so, pay whatever you have to to get it, then save your money the next time some crappy book about Bond comes out.

#64 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:11 AM

I'm a little appalled at the fact that some people are balking at buying this book because you have to pay a few extra bucks shipping.

It looks like a landmark work, well researched, with a lot of rare photographs, printed in a limited quantity by a niche publisher.

It isn't some "official" lame POS that reguritates the party line accompanied by the same photos you've seen hundreds of times before.

The author has been diligent in keeping CBn informed about all aspects of the book, and has even given us an exclusive preview.

I like saving money as much as the next guy, but come on Cbners, independent Bond books (especially of this calibre) should be celebrated and eagerly purchased.

And what happens down the line when other authors come forward with possible Bond books?

"Oh, we can't publish that - Bond books don't sell. The fan base is much too cheap!"

It's hardly a few extra bucks. A $25 dollar book becomes $40 bucks or so when you're shipping it overseas and for me at this point in time I'm not exactly swimming in green. Last time I bought from the UK (Double or Die) I paid more for shipping than I did for the actual book. That's rather sad. Same reason why I haven't yet purchased or read The Moneypenny Diaries.

But I'll get it. Don't worry. I just wish the shipping wasn't so damn expensive.

#65 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:43 AM

$52.46 (air mail option) is A LOT for a paper back book. I don't mind spending 50 dollars or more on a book if it's a hardcover coffee table size with 300 pages or more. I'll just wait and hope it get's a US release. I like finding books in the stores anyway so I can flip through them to see if there's enough content to warrant a purchase.

No matter how good the book is I can't justify the price. At least not at the moment.

Edited by Gobi-1, 18 June 2007 - 03:44 AM.

#66 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:12 AM

$52.46 (air mail option) is A LOT for a paper back book. I don't mind spending 50 dollars or more on a book if it's a hardcover coffee table size with 300 pages or more. I'll just wait and hope it get's a US release. I like finding books in the stores anyway so I can flip through them to see if there's enough content to warrant a purchase.

No matter how good the book is I can't justify the price. At least not at the moment.

Agreed. It all depends on one's financial situation, what may appear to be just a few dollars to one person may be a substantial sum to someone else that isn't well off.

The quality of the book, the effort put into writing it, and support for small publishers isn't doubted but commended, however there is nothing wrong with shopping around for the best price.

#67 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:56 PM

I'll just wait and hope it get's a US release.

You could be waiting a lifetime then.

Tomahawk is a small British publisher and has no US distribution or publishing division.

Take for example Thomas Nixdorf's amazing book on Bond poster art.

It came out in 1997 and 10 years later it still does not have a US (or even English) publisher, though the author has been trying for one.

It does meet your criteria of hundreds of images, is a hardcover - but you won't find it in any bookstore.

And most Bond poster enthusisasts will tell you that it is superior to Tony Nourmand's book.

Qwerty's interview with the author is here: http://commanderbond.net/article/4196

Another example would be Dave Worrall's book The Most Famous Car in the World. Again, hundreds of rare photographs, hardcover - never in bookstores and not published in the US. A cheaper softcover version did come out a number of years later though it was still only published in the UK.

Everyone's financial situation and collecting situation are different.

I hate paying overseas shipping too.

But this isn't Harry Potter folks. And Amazon discounts Potter so heavily that they aren't making a dime even though they'll be moving a million copies - they are hoping people will order other books and continue to be loyal: http://lfpress.ca/ne...269181-sun.html

#68 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

Also wise to get your copy before Eon buys them all up and has an old fashioned book burning. :cooltongue:

#69 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

It has been on my mind that this book could possibly run into trouble with the lawyers. I have not seen my copy, yet, but it does cover a HOT subject and one has to know EON is going to be giving it a very close look. Given the history between them and McClory, it would seem a possiblity that it's release could be shortened by legal action. I certainly hope not (and knock on wood it isn't the case) and am reluctant to bring up the idea. The cost of the book and it's shipping are higher than usual for a paperback but given it's promised content, I feel it could be a real favorite in my collection.

#70 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

It has been on my mind that this book could possibly run into trouble with the lawyers. I have not seen my copy, yet, but it does cover a HOT subject and one has to know EON is going to be giving it a very close look. Given the history between them and McClory, it would seem a possiblity that it's release could be shortened by legal action. I certainly hope not (and knock on wood it isn't the case) and am reluctant to bring up the idea. The cost of the book and it's shipping are higher than usual for a paperback but given it's promised content, I feel it could be a real favorite in my collection.

Well, I've had two emails from Amazon.co.uk in the last few days advising that the publication has been put back twice... :cooltongue:

#71 Brock Samson

Brock Samson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:44 PM

$52.46 (air mail option) is A LOT for a paper back book.

Is it really that expensive from Amazon.co.uk? I often order from them and (other than the exchange rate) it's usually not too bad. Also, VAT which is included in the price shown when you start ordering is removed when you actually submit the order. Not too sure about books, but that often offsets the cost of shipping when I order DVD's. I once found that ordering 4 DVD's and having them shipped to the US was cheaper than getting them shipped free to my parent's house once the VAT was deducted.

#72 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

I have the oddest feeling that it has probably been cleared legally. I doubt any author/publisher would issue a book like this without doing so first. Robert Sellars is a professional, published author and longtime Bond fan.

BTW, I cannot imagine any Bond scholar NOT purchasing this book. It promises to be a unique piece of James Bond Journalism bringing a lot of new information to the table. It promises to be a scintillating read.
It's probably even worth buying 2 or more copies because it will become timeless Bond classic and will probably not have the largest of print runs.

#73 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

I have the oddest feeling that it has probably been cleared legally. I doubt any author/publisher would issue a book like this without doing so first. Robert Sellars is a professional, published author and longtime Bond fan.

Oh, I'm sure it SHOULD have.

But there has been so many stop-starts and false promises with the McClory-Bond property, one, well, never says never until you actutally see it. :cooltongue:

#74 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:37 PM

But there has been so many stop-starts and false promises with the McClory-Bond property, one, well, never says never until you actutally see it. :cooltongue:

Here we go again.

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we
need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Robert Sellers (Author) "Battle for Bond: The Genesis of Cinema's
Greatest Hero" [Paperback]
Estimated arrival date: 02/07/07 - 04/07/07

#75 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

Here we go again.

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we
need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Whoa... :cooltongue:
Amazon says mine will ship today. "Delivery estimate: 26 Jun 2007 - 28 Jun 2007". Hopefully anyway...

#76 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Here we go again.

Gah...

Guess I need to check amazon to see what sort of delay I'll be getting.

#77 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:43 AM

Amazon is saying Delivery estimate: 9 Jul 2007 - 13 Jul 2007 for me now. :cooltongue:

#78 Tomahawk Press

Tomahawk Press

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:16 AM

Hi.
This is Tomahawk Press. I would like to set the record straight. We do have US distribution, but the book will not be released in the USA until September. The US price will be $50.00, but should be discounted by most book stores and Amazon. Sorry guys, but the exchange rate is just working against the US at the moment. The book, like James Bond is a British creation. We are not ripping you off. The book is

#79 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:20 AM

Excellent! Thank you, Tomahawk Press. :cooltongue:

#80 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:02 AM

Great news! Thanks for this. :cooltongue:

#81 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

Cancelled my order from Amazon today, re-ordered directly with Tomhawk after some very helpful emails, and got a personal email telling me my copy would be posted today. :cooltongue:

Perhaps a few of you might think it worth similar action?

#82 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

Cancelled my order from Amazon today, re-ordered directly with Tomhawk after some very helpful emails, and got a personal email telling me my copy would be posted today. :angry:

Perhaps a few of you might think it worth similar action?

I canceled my Amazon order to do the same...but then I saw the free shipping at Tomahawk only applies to the UK. US shipping is pretty pricey (and throws the price beyond Amazon's price). I went back and re-ordered at Amazon, but I see I've lost my place in line and my delivery estimate is now August. :cooltongue:

#83 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

I canceled my Amazon order to do the same...but then I saw the free shipping at Tomahawk only applies to the UK. US shipping is pretty pricey (and throws the price beyond Amazon's price). I went back and re-ordered at Amazon, but I see I've lost my place in line and my delivery estimate is now August. :cooltongue:

Whoa.. oops. I thought about doing this yesterday, but when I went to their site their shipping said up to 8 weeks (Damn...) unless I wanted to pay for AirMail which is twice as expensive.

Sticking with Amazon.

#84 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

This book is absolutely BRILLIANT!

GET IT NOW!

Really fine James Bond Journalism.

http://www.tomahawkp...m/tomahawk.html

#85 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

My copy was dispatched earlier today. I'm really looking forward to reading this. :cooltongue:

#86 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

Now my delivery estimate shows 10 - 16 July. :cooltongue:

#87 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

What an excellent and fascinating book. :angry:

And how interesting that the (fantastic) 1959 pre-production sketches for Thunderball were drawn by Stephen Grimes!

A must-read for any self-respecting Bond fan. :cooltongue:

#88 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

What an excellent and fascinating book. :D

And how interesting that the (fantastic) 1959 pre-production sketches for Thunderball were drawn by Stephen Grimes!

A must-read for any self-respecting Bond fan. :angry:

You lucky bastard! :cooltongue: :lol:

Wasn't Stephen Grimes the production designer on NSNA?

#89 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:05 AM

Great to hear about a US release in September.

#90 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:10 AM

Wasn't Stephen Grimes the production designer on NSNA?

Right you are.