219 replies to this topic

#31 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

If people aren't chomping at the bit for this book, then you need to get the defibrillator out of the glove box because you have no pulse.

LOL and :cooltongue: I have the oddest feeling it will be damn worth it.

#32 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

Can't wait!

#33 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

If people aren't chomping at the bit for this book, then you need to get the defibrillator out of the glove box because you have no pulse.
[/quote]

Chomp, chomp, chomp!

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

Chomp, chomp, chomp!

Ditto. Really cannot wait for this one.

#35 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:00 AM

Looks like this book could change a lot of people's opinions about Kevin McClory.

#36 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

It will be interesting to see how closely the events in Paul Goldstein's novel Errors and Omissions follow the true events covered in this book.

#37 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Devin.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, doublenoughtspy, but just in case not: comment from Len Deighton is extremely rare. There was a documentary last year (I think) that interviewed him, but did not make it clear when and where and why. He hasn't written a book or given an interview other than that in years. As an entirely separate side issue to McClory, I have long felt that Len Deighton's influence and part in the Bond universe has not yet fully come to light. There have been bits and pieces here - he worked on the FRWL and NSNA scripts, for example. There are several references to Bond and Fleming in his work. This comment from him seems to cement the relationship and hint at much more.

It would, of course, be a major literary event if Deighton were to write the 2008 Bond novel.

#38 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

A Len Deighton Bond Novel? What a wonderful thought....

#39 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, doublenoughtspy...

I didn't realize that he was that reclusive, but the fact that he knew the major players and worked on Bond scripts did make me sit up and take notice when Robert told me he endorsed the book - so I put it on the home page.

BTW, I don't think it's technically correct to say that Deighton worked on NSNA.

He did work on James Bond of the Secret Service in the late 70s, but as Jack Schwartzman pointed out - JB of the SS/Warhead/etc. were not part of the deal when he bought the rights to do NSNA from McClory.

Read more here:

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=39551

#40 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, doublenoughtspy...

I didn't realize that he was that reclusive, but the fact that he knew the major players and worked on Bond scripts did make me sit up and take notice when Robert told me he endorsed the book - so I put it on the home page.

BTW, I don't think it's technically correct to say that Deighton worked on NSNA.

He did work on James Bond of the Secret Service in the late 70s, but as Jack Schwartzman pointed out - JB of the SS/Warhead/etc. were not part of the deal when he bought the rights to do NSNA from McClory.

Read more here:

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=39551

Yes, sorry - I was vague on these details. Do we know precisely what he contributed to FRWL? From these comments of his on the front page, I suddenly think of his involvement with Harry Saltzman on the Palmer films: so he would have been regularly moving in Bondish circles in those days. Despite the 'anti-Bond' tag of those films, my instinct has always been that Deighton was very pro-Bond. He even edited two volumes of 'Thrilling Cities' style travel books in the 60s, one on London and one on continental Europe. They were written by others with linking pieces by him, but they've always struck me as being very much of the same stamp. Here's an excerpt from one of the essays in LONDON DOSSIER, written by Godfrey Smith:

'You can stroll eastwards past the Thoroughbred Breeders' Association and the Third Church of Christ Scientist to the Washington Hotel. I once peered through the curtains on a dark night and saw Ian Fleming entertaining a mysterious lady to dinner. It has always had an ambience of romantic decadence for me since then.

Cross over again and turn left into Shepherd Market...'

In the 60s yet? :cooltongue:

#41 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

This is one book I'm really excited about. Recently, I purchased a copy of HAMMER FILMS: THE ELSTREE STUDIOS YEARS which is also published by Tomahawk Press. I believe it is similar in size and page count to BATTLE FOR BOND. They did a very nice job on the book and loaded it with rare B&W pics. I expect they will do the same with Seller's book. I hope he will cover the period in the 80's when McClory attempted to get another Bond movie off the ground. The negociations with Brosnan and all of the incarnations of WARHEAD. Like others have said....chomp chomp!

#42 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:22 AM

This is one book I'm really excited about. Recently, I purchased a copy of HAMMER FILMS: THE ELSTREE STUDIOS YEARS which is also published by Tomahawk Press. I believe it is similar in size and page count to BATTLE FOR BOND. They did a very nice job on the book and loaded it with rare B&W pics. I expect they will do the same with Seller's book. I hope he will cover the period in the 80's when McClory attempted to get another Bond movie off the ground. The negociations with Brosnan and all of the incarnations of WARHEAD. Like others have said....chomp chomp!

I'm sure the content will be dynamite.

This may seem like nitpicking but I'm not very keen on the cover art. Quite bland and uninspired. I wish more effort would go into the cover art as the last few reference books on Bond have been very flat in that department.

Edited by Byron, 16 May 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#43 bang bang

bang bang

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the book.

The book does indeed cover McClory in the 80s, though the bulk of it deals with his collaboration with Fleming on the first Bond screenplay and infamous court case.

There are a few chapters on the making of 'NSNA' and also the ill-fated 'Warhead.' We've uncovered some very rare Warhead images, including pre-production colour artwork and photographs of Sean Connery in New York looking at possible locations.

Cheers

Robert Sellers

#44 007 Magazine

007 Magazine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

Final cover art now available here:

007 MAGAZINE

Click on the cover.

#45 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Robert has informed me that publication has been moved up a few weeks earlier - to June 18. Amazon is showing the updated date as well.

Stay tuned for more up to date coverage of this landmark work.

#46 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:39 PM

Hooray!

#47 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:49 AM

Excellent news! The sooner the better. :cooltongue:

#48 Tomahawk Press

Tomahawk Press

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

Althought the release date for this book is 18 June, by registering your interest in this title at www.tomahawkpress.com, your copy of this much anticipated book will be sent to you at least a whole week before Amazon or any other bookshop has a copy! Be the first to own a copy of The Battle for Bond - register your interest today!

#49 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

Althought the release date for this book is 18 June, by registering your interest in this title at www.tomahawkpress.com, your copy of this much anticipated book will be sent to you at least a whole week before Amazon or any other bookshop has a copy! Be the first to own a copy of The Battle for Bond - register your interest today!

Sweet! Thank you, and welcome Tomahawk Press to CBn. :cooltongue:

#50 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

Excellent news! :cooltongue:

#51 Terry

Terry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

Glad to hear that the book is coming out in June. I've got my order in. Issue number 48 of 007 magazine, the anniversary special for THUNDERBALL, provides a glimpse at some of the material that may be a part of this book.

I believe Robert Sellers is working with Stuntman Vic Armstrong on his bio. This should be an interesting read as well. I am always fascinated by the screen testing of potential Bonds and do hope that Armstrong will write about his involvment in the tests.

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:02 AM

Some new goodies on the CBn main page...

Eagerly awaited book by Robert Sellers; due for release on 18 June

#53 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:08 AM

Wow! These are wild. Connery scouting locations for Warhead in NYC. Ho, baby. I'm pre-ordering...today.

#54 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:53 AM

Wow! These are wild. Connery scouting locations for Warhead in NYC. Ho, baby. I'm pre-ordering...today.

Couldn't agree more. Can't wait to see the other ones as well as the other six drawings... I really can't wait for the entire book.

#55 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:00 AM

Couldn't agree more. Can't wait to see the other ones as well as the other six drawings... I really can't wait for the entire book.

I'm in full agreement. Other than Tomahawk Press or amazon.uk are there any other online retailers offering it at a cheaper price?

#56 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

I think it's quite natural Fleming would want Hitchock as a director - he was the director every thriller writer wanted. From what we now know of his choices, he seems to have been mostly interested about getting the biggest names attached rather than anything else. Someone who has written a thriller today might want Christopher Nolan to direct and Brad Pitt for the main role - that doesn't mean it's realistic. What's very interesting is that Fleming did this through Eric Ambler and tentatively (I like his use of the word 'conceivably'!) asked Ambler if he would be interested in writing the script. This sheds new light on his relationship with Ambler - a bit more than sharing the same agent and a plug for DIMITRIOS in FRWL - and provides a fascinating what-if. A Bond film directed by Hitchcock and scripted by Eric Ambler: that would have been something.

#57 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

A must have..... I wet my pants :cooltongue: Gotta have it

#58 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

I'm in full agreement. Other than Tomahawk Press or amazon.uk are there any other online retailers offering it at a cheaper price?

Tomahawk is not a large publisher.

Amazon is offering a substantial discount, and according to the author it's your best bet.

#59 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

I take it this won't be released in the US any time soon? I hate spending the S&H to have it shipped over.

#60 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:59 AM

I take it this won't be released in the US any time soon? I hate spending the S&H to have it shipped over.

Is this a UK only release? If so I'm very disappointed.