154 replies to this topic

#31 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

I like it too. I like his stance, he looks urgent, focused, cool.

#32 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

The gunbarrel makes the trailer. It'd be nothing without it. Nothing! :tup:

#33 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

I love it! When I saw it in the trailer, it made me feel all funny down below. Oor Danny really looks like he's giving it some welly.

#34 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

I remember posting awhile back about how if it's a proper reboot, would that mean that there would be no gunbarrel to open the movie.

I guess the answer is yes, and no.

Personally though, I don't like it.

What if they opened the film with the white dots moving across the screen, then stopping to reveal the words An Albert R. Broccoli Eon Production. Similar to the opening of Dr. No and OHMSS. Then the last dot widens out to reveal the pre-credit sequence. Bond is shown killing his two hits in black and white, but a third assassin, perhaps a beautiful female enemy double agent, runs into the men's bathroom to kill Bond only to have him turn and shoot the girl. We see down the girl's gunbarrel as he turns and shoots. Blood envelopes the screen and the titles and song begin.

Speculation? But I love to consider the possibilities.

#35 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

What if they opened the film with the white dots moving across the screen, then stopping to reveal the words An Albert R. Broccoli Eon Production. Similar to the opening of Dr. No and OHMSS. Then the last dot widens out to reveal the pre-credit sequence. Bond is shown killing his two hits in black and white, but a third assassin, perhaps a beautiful female enemy double agent, runs into the men's bathroom to kill Bond only to have him turn and shoot the girl. We see down the girl's gunbarrel as he turns and shoots. Blood envelopes the screen and the titles and song begin.

Fantastic idea, Doctor, with the dots opening up. Wish I'd thought of it myself.

Not too keen on the third agent running in, though. Just leave it at the two kills.

#36 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

Sounds good to me, Doc. :tup:

#37 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:23 PM

I like the stance. I also really like how the camera goes down the barrel. I just wish they would have made the digital barrel look more like the original plate. If you look at the plate from Dr. No you can see the lands and grooves in the barrel (lands are raised portions of rifling). It would have given this barrel even more of a 3D feel. With each movie the detail of the plate has gotten more abstract. I still don't understand why they made the digital barrel (last 5 now) look like the deteriorated version. Just knittpicking :tup:

Edited by SecretAgent007, 02 May 2006 - 05:26 PM.

#38 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

Not too keen on the third agent running in, though. Just leave it at the two kills.

Oh come on, you know they'll be leaving it at the two kills :tup:

#39 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

I like the stance. I also really like how the camera goes down the barrel. I just wish they would have made the digital barrel look more like the original plate. If you look at the plate from Dr. No you can see the lands and grooves in the barrel (lands are raised portions of rifling). It would have given this barrel even more of a 3D feel. With each movie the detail of the plate has gotten more abstract. I still don't understand why they made the digital barrel (last 5 now) look like the deteriorated version.

It's possible the CGI on the gunbarrel is unfinished. It may have just been quickly hashed together for a trailer of sorts, a sort of "workprint" gunbarrel. The final one may be closer to the more "rendered" Brosnan version, or even Kleinman's unused concept gunbarrel (see here and here for screenshots of the unused Kleinman concept).

Oh come on, you know they'll be leaving it at the two kills :tup:

I know that... just commenting on the Doc's idea.

#40 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, but even the Broz version doesn't show the lands and grooves. Just looks like spiral lines. I posted a pic of a shot I took through a real barrel on an old post (last year?) somewhere on the site. Pause the DR No barrel and you can see what I mean. I'm not crazy about the other unused barrel either. Looks too CGI and nothing like the original plate of a real barrel. Oh, well. Can't have everything I guess.

found it. The barrel in the pic has 6 lands and grooves, whereas Binders has 5.
Attached File  gunbarrel.jpg   75.26KB   221 downloads

Edited by SecretAgent007, 02 May 2006 - 05:43 PM.

#41 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:54 PM

Fantastic idea, Doctor, with the dots opening up. Wish I'd thought of it myself.

I am only guessing at what the footage is showing in the teaser. Bond is actually beating up one guy in the lavatory, but then we see him shooting at us thru the gun barrel. Did he kill two or knock out one guy and kill another? I certainly don't know, but I am speculating (guessing for those who don't know what that means) that a third assassin may have entered the room after Bond killed his target.

Teaser shows -
1st target killed in an office while sitting in a chair. = single O
2nd target beaten up/possibly killed in lavatory. = double O
3rd target shot at thru gun barrel. = ??

I just think it would be fitting to the character of Bond to kill a female enemy agent. After all, he is a "ladykiller" - :tup:

*** There is another fight scene in a stairwell but Craig is wearing a tux and therefore one can assume this is after the card game with Le Chiffre.

#42 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

Doctor:

Spoiler

#43 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

*** There is another fight scene in a stairwell but Craig is wearing a tux and therefore one can assume this is after the card game with Le Chiffre.

Or during, perhaps?

#44 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

Or during, perhaps?

During, I believe. One of the beauties of using poker is that it can be such a long game that action and other scenes can be put in during the game. Or at least during its breaks.

#45 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

I had the idea that the sequence is the bathroom is intercut with the scene at the office, implying that Bond is telling the fellow in the office(Dryden) about the kill. Bond finishes the story by telling Dryden that he killed the man but it wasn't easy. Dryden would then say "...but you only have one kill, James. You need two to become a double-O agent." and at that moment Dryden would begin to put together the fact and Bond would shoot him, getting his second kill. Right after Dryden is killed, we would once again flashback to the bathroom and the gunbarrel. That was just my idea though, I don't think that's how it is actually.

Edited by Andrew, 02 May 2006 - 08:05 PM.

#46 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

That's as good a guess as I've ever seen. How did you figure they were intercut?

#47 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

That's as good a guess as I've ever seen. How did you figure they were intercut?

I'm not really sure how I came up with the idea. It's just something I thought of one day. I think it would work.

#48 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

Would it be the first time a Bond film used sequences intercut in such a way? I can't think of any other Bond that's used that method.

#49 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

I was thinking that too, Dr Satterhand... The dots, then the teaser, the gunbarrel and the titles.

#50 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

I was thinking that too, Dr Satterhand... The dots, then the teaser, the gunbarrel and the titles.

Yes. I agree with that too Dr. Shatterhand and nicolaz_suszjyckz.

#51 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

Will the James Bond theme be part of the main title theme if the gunbarrel sequence happens at the end of the teaser?

#52 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

Will the James Bond theme be part of the main title theme if the gunbarrel sequence happens at the end of the teaser?

Well, according to some rumors, the James Bond theme wont actually be heard till the very end of the film.

#53 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

Well, according to some rumors, the James Bond theme wont actually be heard till the very end of the film.

I guess we'll hear it in some form or other. I seem to remember that the theme will only be referenced or alluded to at the end of the movie. Whatever that means.

#54 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:34 PM

After seeing the full Superman returns trailer, the CR trailer is kinda nothing special.

The full Superman Returns trailer did nothing but make that movie look less impressive than it already felt. You'd have to try to make a less impressive trailer.

#55 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:05 AM

OK...If the JB theme does not apprear until the end of the film then what WILL play behind the gunbarrel? Will the gunbarrel work without the JB theme? If by chance it is the JB theme then wouldn't it be strange to play the JB theme and then drift off into something like "All Time High"?

#56 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:09 AM

Andrew... your guess is actually 100% correct.

#57 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

Oooh. I can see a lot of ticked-off fans out there right now. On top of the whole reboot thing, you won't even see the loved and traditional bloody gunbarrel sweep along with the strains of the James Bond theme!

Say it isn't so!!!

It is going to be very strange to experience the different editing on CR. I can see what EON is trying to do - break down the long-held Bond traditions in order to revitalize the franchise - but if they mess with it too much, they stand to lose the vocal die-hard Bond fans. It's a tricky balance, and I'm not convinced EON will be able to pull it off.

#58 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

[quote name='SecretAgentFan' post='550166' date='2 May 2006 - 06:49']
It

#59 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:04 AM

I really like this idea for the gun barrel. It's something original but somehow also has a classic feel to it in my opinion. I also agree with the other posters who said that this is the best gun barrel pose since Bob Simmons. The whole thing looks great.

Here's another high quality picture of it:

Attached Files

#60 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:03 AM

I had the idea that the sequence is the bathroom is intercut with the scene at the office, implying that Bond is telling the fellow in the office(Dryden) about the kill. Bond finishes the story by telling Dryden that he killed the man but it wasn't easy. Dryden would then say "...but you only have one kill, James. You need two to become a double-O agent." and at that moment Dryden would begin to put together the fact and Bond would shoot him, getting his second kill. Right after Dryden is killed, we would once again flashback to the bathroom and the gunbarrel. That was just my idea though, I don't think that's how it is actually.

I really like that, actually.