90 replies to this topic

#61 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

I can't belive no one has mentioned the biggest goof of the series...Bond meets bloefeld face to face in YOLT and there are talking less than 1ft. away in OHMSS several times and Bloefeld doesn't recognize him? What sort of stupidity is this...this would explain why spectre fumbled so many plans!

That's really easy. In YOLT it was Connery. In OHMSS, it was Lazenby. So it's understandable Blofeld didn't recongnize him...

#62 I Like Sharks

I Like Sharks

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

This is a big one:

End of The World Is Not Enough, in the sub, Bond punches Renard or elbows him or something like that and lets Christmas into the reactor during which they have a brief conversation about the reactor almost going critical and destroying the city. Meanwhile Renards in the backround struggling to get up...did the script writers forget he can't feel pain or something. He dosn't mind puching glass or getting shot in the arm but as soon as Bond hits him when he has to save the girl, he (conmveniantly) takes ten seconds to recover!

Schocking....absolutly shocking

And the punches are obviously fake as well. Roger Moore threw better blows than that and probably still can

Anyone agree?

#63 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Another one I thought of.. In Thunderball, when Felix and Bond land on the ocean in the helicopter to look for the Vulcan, Rik Van Nutter has on a pair of shorts. But when Bond resurfaces, he is wearing sweat pants!! and a second later, he's back in the shorts!!

It's very easily explained. While Bond was down there, Felix got cold and changed into sweatpants. I mean, come on. That's perfectly normal. I mean, you've got a guy under water, looking for a plane that has nuclear warheads on it and in danger of being eaten by the "most dangerous" sharks, and you get cold, you change clothes. Duh :tup:

This is only a joke

#64 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

Another one I thought of.. In Thunderball, when Felix and Bond land on the ocean in the helicopter to look for the Vulcan, Rik Van Nutter has on a pair of shorts. But when Bond resurfaces, he is wearing sweat pants!! and a second later, he's back in the shorts!!

It's very easily explained. While Bond was down there, Felix got cold and changed into sweatpants. I mean, come on. That's perfectly normal. I mean, you've got a guy under water, looking for a plane that has nuclear warheads on it and in danger of being eaten by the "most dangerous" sharks, and you get cold, you change clothes. Duh :tup:

This is only a joke

Exactly... Like the scene where he puts on the black face mask and then in the next shot, it's blue. He simply didn't like black and changed back to blue is about half a second.... a joke too.

#65 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

If you want howlers, just watch TMWTGG. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it as much as the next fan, but it must have been written by a committee of coffee-fueled ad execs. It's nothing but a patchwork of ethnic stereotypes, cringe-worthy humor, obvious product placements, and huge plot holes.

I'll skip the obvious stuff about J.W. Pepper and the Thai AMC dealership. It would have made as much sense to put a McDonald's on Crab Key.

Hip's Chinese neices practice karate. How easy would it have been to change it to "kung-fu"? Surely one of the Chinese actors would have pointed out this mistake. All the planets of stupidity had to line up to produce this error.

When the girls are in the back of the car, their dialogue is obviously a continuous loop. They say "hello" about five times. It's remarkably obvious, even if you don't speak a word of Chinese.

And why does Hip drive away, leaving Bond to fend for himself against Hai Fat's students? How in the hell does it make any sense for him to leave Bond behind? Hip risks his life to bail Bond out in the first place, then decides it's become too risky and drives off. I guess they needed an excuse for Bond to jump in a boat, but just had to show off those cute "karottey" girls. A lobotomized Barbary ape with tertiary syphilis could find a better way to link a scene.

And of course, who could forget the slide-whistle? That's got to be the most terrible thing ever done to a stunt until the dawn of CGI.

#66 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

a patchwork of ethnic stereotypes

True, but aren't they all? Although I do note that its contemporary, LIVE AND LET DIE, is always the one that gets slated in this department, while the equally "offensive" MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN usually gets a pass.

cringe-worthy humor

Okay, but it's surely more sophisticated than the humour of the Brosnan era, by and large?

obvious product placements

I can think of only one, and I'm fairly sure I've watched TMWTGG more than most Bond fans (no, I'm not asking for a medal :D ) - "Nick Nack, more Tabasco!". Okay, I'm sure I could think of other bits, but it's hardly one of the worst-offending Bond flicks in the product placement stakes.

When the girls are in the back of the car, their dialogue is obviously a continuous loop. They say "hello" about five times. It's remarkably obvious, even if you don't speak a word of Chinese.

From memory, it's an unlikely mixture of Mandarin and Cantonese (see also LETHAL WEAPON 4 for this). But, hey, it's a Moore Bond movie! :tup:

Why does Hip drive away, leaving Bond to fend for himself against Hai Fat's goons? How in the hell does this make any sense? Hip risks his life to bail Bond out in the first place, then decides it's too risky and drives off.

*Fanwanking furiously* Hip is actually a double agent in the pay of Scaramanga or his Chinese paymasters. He spots a chance to engineer the death of James Bond, which will gain him great face with his employers, etc.

I'll skip the obvious stuff about J.W. Pepper and the Thai AMC dealership. Let's just say it would have made as much sense to put a McDonald's on Crab Key.

Why? Crab Key's uninhabited, Bangkok isn't. Why wouldn't the city have car dealerships?

#67 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:31 PM

It would have car dealerships, but not AMC dealerships. Thais drive on the left. Hence, AMC never exported to Thailand. The Hornet Bond drives is left-hand drive, and would never have been imported, let alone sold to the general public.

I didn't notice the Tabasco reference, but that one doesn't bother me at all. Tabasco is practically a genericized term, and it seems like the sort of reference Fleming would make.

Don't get me wrong, Loomis. I love TMWTGG, and I think it is better and more entertaining than the Brosnan films, but I still cringe through most of it. If you watch it as a comedy, it's great.

#68 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

Thais drive on the left. Hence, AMC never exported to Thailand. The Hornet Bond drives is left-hand drive, and would never have been imported, let alone sold to the general public.

Ah. I see.

#69 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

Needless to say, I logged onto the Internet within seconds, registering my disgust throughout the world. :tup:

#70 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:31 AM

Brozza hair-brushing in all his movies.

#71 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

I have to say the model boat in The Spy Who Loved Me as well. It makes me laugh a bit each time I see it. Also, there was the beginning of Diamonds are Forever when Bond asks the one guy where Blofeld is and when he replies his mouth is wide open and not even moving. :tup:

#72 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:01 PM

The car switching sides in the alleyway in DAF for me. More obvious than anything else.

#73 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:30 AM

Well, I don't know if this could be considered a goof but it's in The Living Daylights when Bond and Kara are on the frozen lake and she yells, "James!" when the Czechoslovakian police are coming after them firing (after they sink the one car). I noticed that Bond never introduced himself to her at anytime on screen since their meeting in her apartment to that point so it struck me as odd that she knew the name of the tall, dark and handsome man who appeared in her ransacked apartment. Strange...

#74 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:35 AM

#75 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:42 AM

#76 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

Wow, I never noticed that. Are you sure he didn't mention his name? I suppose he could have mentioned it to her off-camera, but that's weak.

#77 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

Wow, I never noticed that. Are you sure he didn't mention his name? I suppose he could have mentioned it to her off-camera, but that's weak.

Positive and it sure would be weak if they performed an introduction off-screen. Perhaps, Bond introduced himself in a scene that wound up on the cutting room floor?

#78 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:50 AM

Very interesting. That is a big mistake. I wonder if anyone has noticed it before...

#79 dunmall

dunmall

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:27 AM

i have an interesting one for you, in TND when the stealth boat sinks the devonshire... the crew assume they are under attack by the chinese, thus when one mig is shot down the chinese assume that they have been attacked by the devonshire...now here is my goof...

the stealth boat only shoots down ONE mig, the other one presumably returns to base, now although the British might not believe the word of the surviving mig pilot, surely he would have reported that the devonshire suddenly began sinking for no apparent reason, then opened fire on us...

also is there a cut scene explaining the need to video tape Stamper machine gunning the survivours? I't doesn't seem like footage anyone could really use, since it would seem to show that some one on a boat killed the survivours rather than an airplane straffing them...

lol i'm on a bit of a roll here, but is the cruise missle pinched from the devonshire nuclear or not? Just Carver implies it will only destroy China's government house where their leaders are meeting, since General Chang will survive by being stuck in traffic, while Gupta says "just say the word and Beijing disappears" which seems to imply it's a rather big bomb, but then of course he could be speaking metaphorically, so I dont really regard this as a goof persay, i've just always wondered. :tup:

#80 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:19 AM

Very interesting. That is a big mistake. I wonder if anyone has noticed it before...

I noticed it before. It hardly detracts from the film though.

#81 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

CGI Bond :tup:

007 Should have never ever used cgi for a stunt scene

ALL the close-ups for Pierce, then the cgi, etc,etc

#82 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

Mispelling Pyongyang in DAD. That big a budget, and they couldn't even afford an atlas?

#83 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:12 AM

How did they spell it?

#84 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

Pyongang. Or at least, it does on the region 2 dvd.

(I have actually mentioned this before in the 'oddities never before pointed out' thread, which I know's a bit naughty of me, but with so shoddy a mistake, it practically deserves to be shouted from the rooftops. Although that should do it for now.)

Edited by Mr Malcolm, 02 May 2006 - 04:11 PM.

#85 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

in lald bond tells somebody they had the safety catch on on there hadgun. the handgun was a revolver ( smith & wesson model 19 i believe)revolvers don't usually have safety catches.maybe not obvious but it always jars with me. bit like the "that's a smith & wesson" line from dn.

Edited by quiller, 15 May 2006 - 02:10 PM.

#86 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

The World is Not Enough: At the end of the boat chase when Bond fires the torpedoes, he shoots the top one twice.

#87 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

The World is Not Enough: At the end of the boat chase when Bond fires the torpedoes, he shoots the top one twice.

TWINE is full of editing errors. One could write a full essay detailing each and every one.

#88 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

Does anyone have any other good goofs from the Bond movies?

#89 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:06 AM

I've mentioned it elsewhere on this site but here we go again; the stock footage used in YOLT showing a "Russian" spacecraft lifting off. We have the mission control staff in Russian military uniforms counting down - in Russian, of course - only to cut to footage of an American Gemini/Titan II lifting off from Cape Canaveral! :rolleyes:

(At least I assumed it was Cape Canaveral - the palm trees in the stock footage rather gave it away. Then again maybe it was a balmy day at the Russian cosmodrome in Kazahkstan, so they decided to put out some fake palm trees. Or perhaps Comrade Fidel in Cuba had lent the Russians a launch pad? Or maybe not, we nearly went to war over that!)

#90 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

YOLT. When the Russian spacecraft is captured and lands in the volcano, SPECTRE men can be seen manually shifting it into position.. Surely it would be red hot, having just re-entered the earth's atmosphere

The bad dubbing/editing. My favourites are 1) OHMSS. Draco telling Bond about Tracy's Mother and saying "Now. Why I tell you all this?", whilst not moving his mouth and Q in Thunderball, saying "Now. pay attention", whilst seemingly throwing his voice.

OHMSS. M and Draco at the wedding. As they walk down the steps, Bernard Lee's speech is extreeeemely slurred. Granted that the stories about his fondness for the pop are well-known, but he sounds as though he'd had a few...