90 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

The World Is Not Enough contains perhaps the most jarring, jaw-droppingly inept goofs ever to be committed to celluloid -

In the mine, Renard is escaping and Bond fires his gun at him point blank. Check how long it takes for the bullet to hit the glass - it must be slowest moving bullet in the history of man. That appallingly p*ss poor moment makes the makers of The World Is Not Enough look like Keystone Cops in their downright ineptitude and inability to properly edit a simple scene.

#2 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

I'm not sure if this one's just me or what but it occurs Diamonds Are Forever when the helicopter explodes shortly after leaving with the 'diamonds' that Wint and Kidd give them. Does anyone notice that the red stripes on the side of the helicopter change to green as it takes off them back to red as it flies away? Again it may be just me.

#3 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

Nope its not just you Monsieur.. This happens on my VHS copy of Diamonds.. The stripe on the helicopter changes from red to green and back to red.. But it doesn't happen on my DVD copy.. Some flaw in the film development obviously that was fixed when the DVD was made.

#4 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, I have the VHS and need to transfer my Bond collection to DVD as one by one my VHS tapes are getting buggered due to over-viewing. I wonder what might have caused that colour change though.

#5 007_Stef

007_Stef

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

its not that much of a goof......i cant remember which movie......but they launch a boat from a rig or something...and u can obvioucly see that its a model....a really really bad model.....really bad

ugh--

i couldnt believ it wen i saw it

#6 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

The Spy Who Loved Me perhaps? When Stromberg and Anya fly out of the side of the Liparus in that monorail car that converts to a boat?

#7 007_Stef

007_Stef

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

#8 The Number

The Number

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Diamonds Are Forever. Mustang on two wheels anyone? Ahhh but which two wheels were they?

#9 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

What about A View to a Kill? When Christopher Walken and Grace Jones push the car into a lake, you can see the chain pulling it. That was pretty bad.

Not to mention Thunderball, when Connery puts on a black face mask, then the next shot it's blue.

#10 Problem Eliminator

Problem Eliminator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Diamonds Are Forever. Mustang on two wheels anyone? Ahhh but which two wheels were they?

This gets my vote. So easily avoidable too, can't believe they messed this up. The worst part is the explanation that the "correct wheels" take was unusable due to crowds gathered in the background. The version in the film has crowds too!!!

#11 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

The World Is Not Enough contains perhaps the most jarring, jaw-droppingly inept goofs ever to be committed to celluloid -

In the mine, Renard is escaping and Bond fires his gun at him point blank. Check how long it takes for the bullet to hit the glass - it must be slowest moving bullet in the history of man. That appallingly p*ss poor moment makes the makers of The World Is Not Enough look like Keystone Cops in their downright ineptitude and inability to properly edit a simple scene.

I thought this thread was about creative blunders rather than technical errors...

I never noticed that Darren because I was too busy noticing the other bad action and acting in TWINE;they don't use live rounds in action movies so stuff like that happends all the time and it's not usually worth pointing out... But isn't it possible it a bullet could hit and the crack could expand after the impact? Thus not having a fully mature radius of it's impacted area upon the exact second the bullet lands(or more precisely, when the sound of the discharged weapon is heard)? I'm no scientist but my observation has been cracked glass seems to expand over time...

I was gonna throw in DAD's tsunami para-surfing sequence as the single biggest blunder moment in the series...it is, as you described, jaw droppingly cheesy.

#12 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Kanaga overinflating and exploding like a balloon in Live and Let Die.
First time I saw it, it ruined the entire movie for me. Stupid beyond belief.
Physically impossible and followed by a terrible attempt at humor by Roger Moore. Gad, what a piece of garbage.

Edited by RJJB, 17 March 2006 - 08:22 PM.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

Simple the car switches from one set of wheels to the other. You can easily see the car tip from the one side to the other while the camera is on close up of Bond and Tiffany.

#14 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

Peter Hunt getting ahead of himself in Thunderball quite a few times, Q continuing to talk with a shut mouth in the gadget scene, how about that excruciating sped up fight on that yacht? Blaah... I read TB has the most editing mistakes of all the Bond films.

In Moonraker i don't they tried to get a realistic stunt double for Jaws in the skydive scene, just looked like Ace Ventura with chipmunk teeth.

#15 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

Take a squizz at the ski scene where Bond appears to look over his shoulder and watch his own stuntman hot-dogging (the shot then cuts back to Bond turning away from watching his stuntman) for more awful TWINE editing.

#16 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

While watching Goldeneye last night I was amazed to notice that in the pre-title sequence Bond runs out of the base with bare hands but after he goes off the mountain on the bike and as he gets into the plane, he's wearing gloves. :tup:

#17 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

Goldeneye: when Bond escapes the chemical facility via conveyer belt and ends up outside, a quick pose as he's dropped to one knee and it's so cleary a stunt man and not Brosnan. And what's so bad is that Pierce could have easily done what he did in that moment.

#18 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

They do seem to have had some problems getting their gunshots right lately; in DAD when Jinx is in the clinic and shoots the doctor for the second time, she just points the gun at him and we hear the gunshot, but the gun doesn't actually fire and it quickly cuts to the next scene :tup: :D

#19 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

Aha here's one. The Man With The Golden Gun.. Bond walks into Andrea Anders bathroom and walks over to hand her a bathrobe. Look at the mirror as he walks past.. A flim crew member is clearly visible in the reflection, but luckily he is not seen when Andrea and Bond walk back out of the bathroom!!

Another one I thought of.. In Thunderball, when Felix and Bond land on the ocean in the helicopter to look for the Vulcan, Rik Van Nutter has on a pair of shorts. But when Bond resurfaces, he is wearing sweat pants!! and a second later, he's back in the shorts!!

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

its not that much of a goof......i cant remember which movie......but they launch a boat from a rig or something...and u can obvioucly see that its a model....a really really bad model.....really bad

ugh--

i couldnt believ it wen i saw it

As many of the other models were done pretty well in that film, I'm willing to excuse this one. :tup:

#21 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:38 PM

Die Another Day:

For all the flack the tsunami sequence gets I don't mind it (the score helps, I think). What I do dislike though is the shot of the rocket car going over the cliff and hitting the side of the mountain, that sequence made me cringe, and made me think the surfing sequence was going to be worse than it was.

#22 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:53 PM

I can't belive no one has mentioned the biggest goof of the series...Bond meets bloefeld face to face in YOLT and there are talking less than 1ft. away in OHMSS several times and Bloefeld doesn't recognize him? What sort of stupidity is this...this would explain why spectre fumbled so many plans!

#23 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

Aha here's one. The Man With The Golden Gun.. Bond walks into Andrea Anders bathroom and walks over to hand her a bathrobe. Look at the mirror as he walks past.. A flim crew member is clearly visible in the reflection, but luckily he is not seen when Andrea and Bond walk back out of the bathroom!!

Another one I thought of.. In Thunderball, when Felix and Bond land on the ocean in the helicopter to look for the Vulcan, Rik Van Nutter has on a pair of shorts. But when Bond resurfaces, he is wearing sweat pants!! and a second later, he's back in the shorts!!

In a similar vein, is it just me, or is there someone standing behind Goldfinger when he opens the curtains in the plane at the end of the movie?

#24 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:14 AM

And all this time I felt it was Connery's hair piece in DAF. :tup:

#25 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:56 AM

Whew. I thought you were just going to say TWINE as a whole. :tup: :D

Anyway, another obvious blunder appears in the caviar factory scene, after the Z8 is cut in half: Right when Bond says the hugely unnecessary "Q's not gonna like this" line, we cut to the car falling apart, and where Brosnan is supposed to be, a wax dummy is in his place, with an outstretched arm holding a gun. The inanimate stand-in even wobbles when the car collapses. Very hard to ignore once you notice it.

Admittedly, the effects team did a splendid job with it. Couldn't even tell the difference between Broz and the dummy. Although this tends to happen throughout the rest of the film, as well.

#26 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:00 AM

Die Another Day:

For all the flack the tsunami sequence gets I don't mind it (the score helps, I think). What I do dislike though is the shot of the rocket car going over the cliff and hitting the side of the mountain, that sequence made me cringe, and made me think the surfing sequence was going to be worse than it was.

Yeah. I remember watching that bit with one of my samoan friends. His exact words were "that look like one [censored]ing toy car". Another thing from DAD that I thought was distracting was the Antonov. When it was on the ground you can clearly see it is a regular An-124 but when they were in the air all of a sudden it had an observation bay with windows in the nose that wasn't in the previous long shots on the ground.

#27 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

I can't belive no one has mentioned the biggest goof of the series...Bond meets bloefeld face to face in YOLT and there are talking less than 1ft. away in OHMSS several times and Bloefeld doesn't recognize him? What sort of stupidity is this...this would explain why spectre fumbled so many plans!

I don't have a problem with that really. Just look at my signature (the quote from Harmsway...it'll answer what I think of "continuity" problems in the series.

#28 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:44 AM

How about in the On Her Majesty’s Secret Service PTS, Bond and the thug start fighting in the wet sand then cuts away for a second (to show the other thug throw Tracy to the ground and chase after Bond who (CUT) now is fighting in waist deep water. Only two, maybe three, seconds passed and suddenly Bond is either quite a few feet out or the tide came in hella quick.

Also how about the point where Bond riddles that Piz Gloria guard after finding Tracy during the raid and while taking his pistol says, "Gun make me very nervous." His mouth is clearly not moving.

#29 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:47 AM

In a similar vein, is it just me, or is there someone standing behind Goldfinger when he opens the curtains in the plane at the end of the movie?

There is someone behind Goldfinger but what happens to him is revealed in a wide shot after the plane's interior stabilizes. That same man is flat on the floor while Bond gets his bearings. What is implied and left to the viewer to fill in is that the sudden depressurization sent the man crashing about the cabin and knocking him out. (It would have been a lot easier to just not have him there admittedly.)

I don't worry too much about the goofs. I try to take them as they come and ignore them. Sometimes it's easy, and other times.... The worst one may be the Diamonds Are Forever Mustang stunt. How could they not get that right--or at least redo it after they realized the mix-up? Another goof is plainly visible running board atop the Eiffel Tower that is used for May Day's jump.

Another one I hate--but it isn't really a goof--is EON dubbing George Lazenby while he is posing as Sir Hilary Bray. Ultimately, it's needless and it is distracting. I'd have much rather heard Lazenby talking than George Baker but I guess at the very least it helps explain why Blofeld doesn't recognize Bond.

#30 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:50 AM

Or how about in Diamonds Are Forever that sped up Bond introduction, "MynameisBondJamesBond" The line was delivered at normal speed in the trailer, why on earth did they speed that line up?