181 replies to this topic

#31 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

Oh bloody hell mate--you are as stubborn as Churchill! Just like I told you this American Rock n Roll is here to stay--i'm telling you can see bits and pieces especially in Darby where Connery has the charm and even smoothness. Did you see Corridors of Mirrors that Young directed--brillant stuff. It even has our new Moneypenny in it. These people know what they are doing. They know film--your Ian has his nose in ink.

You may be right about Connery, BUT I haven't yet seen anything of him that says 'James Bond'. I think they are making a big mistake and misjudging the mood of the time. I think I'm much better placed to judge the casting decisions than these professional film-makers so I'll not waste my money on watching their foolish ill-thought-out whims.

You and your BUTS--though really that's a nice touch. :tup: Well at least some of us fans agree with them--i've heard it rumored that they even got the idea of Connery, Andress and Terence Young from us. As you remember a bunch of us have been advocating them for some time. Thankfully IMO they listened to the right fans. Better than your Niven and that swashbuckling fool Stewart Granger.

#32 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

Really? I heard Cubby just saw Andress' photo in a magazine. I didn't realise any fans had heard of her - or Connery for that matter!

And Dr No himself is to be played by a white actor! I'm not a racist, but he's half-Chinese in the book. Anything else is wrong.

#33 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

Really? I heard Cubby just saw Andress' photo in a magazine. I didn't realise any fans had heard of her - or Connery for that matter!

And Dr No himself is to be played by a white actor! I'm not a racist, but he's half-Chinese in the book. Anything else is wrong.

Mate you must be on the wrong part of the site--we've been touting Connery, Ursula and Young for months. You must get your nose out of the literary threads. Ah and again some of us fans don't want a slavish attention to Fleming(so Dr. No is fine as cast)--in fact I could even stand a blonde Bond. Don't laugh now!

#34 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

This is perfectly acceptable. We don't want the wrong sort cavorting about on our cinema silver screens do we. Just wouldn't do.

#35 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

This is perfectly acceptable. We don't want the wrong sort cavorting about on our cinema silver screens do we. Just wouldn't do.

Next you will be talking about the white man's burden. :D :tup:

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

From somewhere in the early 1960s:

I don't understand why Connery smokes so few cigarettes in the films. Bond is supposed to put away 70 a day. Crikey, why not go the whole hog and make the fellow a vegetarian conscientious objector, too? I wouldn't mind, but it's ultimately going to harm Britain's overseas reputation. Fleming would be turning in his grave if he were dead.

#37 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

From somewhere in the early 1960s:

I don't understand why Connery smokes so few cigarettes in the films. Bond is supposed to put away 70 a day. Crikey, why not go the whole hog and make the fellow a vegetarian conscientious objector, too? I wouldn't mind, but it's ultimately going to harm Britain's overseas reputation. Fleming would be turning in his grave if he were dead.

Ahhhhhhhh........I almost give up with you lot. I think I may start a thread satiring all of you. :tup:

I hope that once we get out of the sixties and get closer to the 21st century web fans will become more evolved and more intelligent. What do you think ACE? Or are we in the 1960's the best that will be?

#38 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

I hope that once we get out of the sixties and get closer to the 21st century web fans will become more evolved and more intelligent. What do you think ACE? Or are we in the 1960's the best that will be?

Well, an optimist is someone who thinks the world will get better.
A pessimist is someone who thinks it's as good as it will get.

Somehow, something tells me that in the next millenium, 40 years away, Bond will not be remembered at all. After all, those Matt Helm, Derek Flint and Jason Love movies will take over and Bond will be seen as old hat.

#39 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:48 PM

I fully supported the casting of Shawn O'Connelly and Roger More (and was desparate to see the films at the cinema) but I cannot back this latest decision. Timothy who? as James Bond? And I have not heard of any of that cast! There was no press conference to announce him as Bond and they've gone straight into filming. I mean really they obviously do not know what they are doing.........Pierce Bronston turned them down - they really needed a big TV star to take on the role. And Dalton? He just does TV miniseries and comedies with Mae West and comic book films. He'll be too broad and humourous to play Bond properly. No, they are doomed. This is the end of Bond. I shall not be watching it at the Peckham Picture Palace.

Did you hear that they had to actually delay starting shooting on the movie by two weeks because they had no actor to play Bond?! They obviously don't know what they are doing- this movie will be a DISASTER. Bond is dead.

Plus apparently they will be filming in a studio in Morrocco, which apparently will be doubling for Afganistan! One location doubling as another?! And filming in a studio which isn't Pinewood? Bond is dead.

#40 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

Did you hear that they had to actually delay starting shooting on the movie by two weeks because they had no actor to play Bond?! They obviously don't know what they are doing- this movie will be a DISASTER. Bond is dead.

Yes, I mean really. If Harry Saltzman were around now, he wouldn't have done it like that. What does Cubby's son think he is doing. Cubby is obviously too old to handle it. You're right. First Pierce turns them down and now this comic Dalton fella (never seen any of his movies - not been in any hits) takes over and doesn't even have time to say hello to the press. I think he's only going to do one because he obviously delayed in saying yes. And despite the fact that every actor signs to series, Eon, so Pathe.com speculates, have not signed him to series. The producers really should listen to us fans and have cast the obvious Bond, Lewis Collins. Or Sam Neill.

#41 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

I am appalled that an Australian has been chosen to replace Sean Connery. Really, after the abomination that was YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE this is really the last straw. Poor old Ian must be turning in his grave at the thought. I can see the meeting with Blofeld now:

Bond: G'day mate! Fancy throwing a couple of burgers on the barbie.

Blofeld: My dear Mr. Bond, did you think that your change in accent and appearance would fool me for a minute.

Also, I hear that they have Bond wearing a skirt in some scenes in this one (ie kilt).

Horrible, horrible, I will definately ne boycotting this movie when it opens.

#42 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Horrible, horrible, I will definately ne boycotting this movie when it opens.

Good on yer, sport. Will you also sign our anti-Lazenby petition we, in our infinite wisdom, have started. I just don't understand why the producers do not listen to us fans. There's so much film professionals can learn from amateur, untrained and non-industry aware fans.

#43 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

December 26th, 1957.

Yesterday the good woman presented me with the latest of Mr Fleming's distractions. She wished me a Merry Christmas and I allowed her to touch my arm. I acknowledged her gift by letting her look me in the eye, for a sensible period of time. Not as long as our coloured cousins would hold their gaze, I daresay, but one must keep things civil.

I have finished reading the book this morning. He has killed his Mr Bond! How dare he! Mr Fleming should be rolling in his grave for this, the dastard! Unless he resurrects his Mr Bond, this will be the end of James Bond! This is not a whimsical prediction, the sort that might be made of one of those young rockabilly-rebels in their reefer madness, or by a woman, but it is fact! I can understand why Mr Fleming may have chosen to do this - I fear his books may be being read by below-stairs sort of people in their sculleries - but he should not deprive those educated enough to appreciate him. I have banned the wife from reading the book lest she take it upon herself to express a thought. I did not die in three world wars for Mr Fleming to commit this sort of outrage.

#44 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

I fully supported the casting of Shawn O'Connelly and Roger More (and was desparate to see the films at the cinema) but I cannot back this latest decision. Timothy who? as James Bond? And I have not heard of any of that cast! There was no press conference to announce him as Bond and they've gone straight into filming. I mean really they obviously do not know what they are doing - I think Harry Saltzman should come back because Cubby and this new boy, Michael are not going to give us a very good film. And they keep banging on about Fleming in this one but it can't be. Esp. after AVTAK, which was so lame. They obviously are in real big problems. And Moneypenny isn't even consistent. She's blonde and young. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against blondes or even aeroplane blondes (blonde hair, black box) but this goes totally against what the character is in the Fleming books. I mean, such a physical transformation is confusing and not on. I mean, Pierce Bronston turned them down - they really needed a big TV star to take on the role. And Dalton? He just does TV miniseries and comedies with Mae West and comic book films. He'll be too broad and humourous to play Bond properly. No, they are doomed. This is the end of Bond. I shall not be watching it at the Peckham Picture Palace.

Well mate--one we agree on. That Dalton fella he'll be lucky to last 1 or 2 films. :tup:

#45 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

23 April 1993: The Peckham Monitor, page 11.

After 30 years, the Peckham Picture Palace is to shut. A spokesman said "With no new James Bond film on the horizon to boycott and then turn up to anyway, people had rather forgotten about us". Plans are in place to turn the cinema into a wine bar or platypus-wiping centre.

#46 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

Well, I'm shocked. Discounting Lazenby (who was very good), I always thought Bond should be British. And they've made him Irish. I was always, always a big supporter of Shaw O'Connelly, Roger More and Timothy Doulton when they were announced but I cannot get behind this choice. And to play Bond with a beard! My God! I just hope Cubby reins in his children on this one.

No, a bunch of no name supporting cast (I mean, imagine having TV star Sean Bean as the baddie!) and Judy Dench as M. A women! Admiral Sir Miles Messervy is not a woman's name! How on earth can they say that M is a transexual? All Judy's been good for is cheap BBC sitcoms starring Geoffrey Palmer. How can you name a Bond film after a house? Just silly.

And now the delay in filming. They were supposed to start this September but now they've pushed it back to January 1995. It won't even open in Summer when all the blockbusters come out. UA are obviously hedging their bets - let's face it, the film is doomed. Even though, I have seen not a single frame of film or a single image, I know the film will be doomed. And I'm a Bond fan so my opinion is important and right yet unheard. It's my job to be irrationally negative and spend large gobbets of my free time criticizing the thing I profess to love in the hope of educating film professionals, even though I have not read all the Fleming books or, indeed, any of them. No-one will turn up...

....because I certainly won't. Another reason I won't be going is that last year, my favourite cinema, the Peckham Picture Palace closed down. I read an article about it in the Peckham Monitor. It was sad because this is where I saw all the Bond films in the past. Twice. In opening week.

No, I shan't be going to the Peckham Video Screening Multiplex Ice-Rink-Nail Salon Mall to watch the Bond film when it comes out next year. I shall be going to the platypus-wiping centre to see whether one of these animals is a good soul singer. They put a platypus in the microwave and see if its bill withers...

#47 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

April 11, 1964-Lincoln, Nebraska

Submitted by a concerned citizen-

I have just learned through my cousin in Los Angeles that in the new James Bond movie, Mr. Bond will be socially involved with a Lesbiun. Now, I have been enjoying these movies, but this sounds horrible. I have another cousin who lives in San Francisco and she has informed me of what this Lesbiun business is all about. It's an abomination, to say the least. And to think these movie-makers are going to insert this blasphemy into these exciting red-blooded pictures is just a disgrace. What next, homosexuality?

By the way, I understand that this movie will have a character named Pussy Galore. Are they stooping to ripping off the names of cartoon characters, too?

-Concerned in Lincoln

#48 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

No, I shan't be going to the Peckham Video Screening Multiplex Ice-Rink-Nail Salon Mall to watch the Bond film when it comes out next year. I shall be going to the platypus-wiping centre to see whether one of these animals is a good soul singer. They put a platypus in the microwave and see if its bill withers...

And thank you, ACE, you scamp, for making me laugh out loud in public! :tup: :D :D

#49 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

I have just learned through my cousin in Los Angeles that in the new James Bond movie, Mr. Bond will be socially involved with a Lesbiun. Now, I have been enjoying these movies, but this sounds horrible. I have another cousin who lives in San Francisco and she has informed me of what this Lesbiun business is all about. It's an abomination, to say the least. And to think these movie-makers are going to insert this blasphemy into these exciting red-blooded pictures is just a disgrace. What next, homosexuality?

By the way, I understand that this movie will have a character named Pussy Galore. Are they stooping to ripping off the names of cartoon characters, too?

-Concerned in Lincoln

April 12 1964

i like lebians; lebians r funny

- not so concerned, also in lincoln. hey, were in lincoln r u?

#50 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

11 August, 1973

I've just been down the cinema to see the new James Bond, and it was farcical! What have they done to my beloved 007? Not only did he spend all his time in American slums, but he was almost exclusively in the company of Negroes! Nothing wrong with these people, of course, but Bond is top-class all the way and shouldn't be getting his hands dirty with the common, if you don't mind my saying.

Despite these many distractions, I was heartened by the performance of the new leading actor. Mr. Moore seems to have a genuine appreciation of the English Society Mr. Fleming so wonderfully championed in his books. Nevertheless, Mr. Fleming must be rolling in his grave every time he hears that expletive uttered by that horrible American peasant. I nearly fainted in my theatre seat. I have petitioned the House of Lords to withdraw all tax preferences for the producers of these films until they demonstrate that they can conduct themselves in a manner befitting the English.

Lady Tennyson (of the Knightsbridge Tennysons)

-Concerned in Lincoln

April 12 1964

I don't give out my address over the wires, but if you go to The Stuffed Corn down on E. 73rd street after 7pm on Thursday evenings, I am there wearing my Harley leathers. Don't talk to me. Just nod and I meet you outside.

#51 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:56 PM

11 August, 1973

I've just been down the cinema to see the new James Bond, and it was farcical! What have they done to my beloved 007? Not only did he spend all his time in American slums, but he was almost exclusively in the company of Negroes! Nothing wrong with these people, of course, but Bond is top-class all the way and shouldn't be getting his hands dirty with the common, if you don't mind my saying.

Despite these many distractions, I was heartened by the performance of the new leading actor. Mr. Moore seems to have a genuine appreciation of the English Society Mr. Fleming so wonderfully championed in his books. Nevertheless, Mr. Fleming must be rolling in his grave every time he hears that expletive uttered by that horrible American peasant. I nearly fainted in my theatre seat. I have petitioned the House of Lords to withdraw all tax preferences for the producers of these films until they demonstrate that they can conduct themselves in a manner befitting the English.

-Concerned in Lincoln

April 12 1964

I don't give out my address over the wires, but if you go to The Stuffed Corn down on E. 73rd street after 7pm on Thursday evenings, I am there wearing my Harley leathers. Don't talk to me. Just nod and I meet you outside.

Bon-san you just gave me a horrible visual--get it out of my head!!! :tup:

#52 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:56 PM

11 August, 1973

-Concerned in Lincoln

April 12 1964

i cannot talk. i am a dog. no one on the internet has to know your a dog.

#53 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

28.06.1987 (the day before the World Premiere of TLD)

Robert Brown is Admiral Hargreaves who is the new M.

#54 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:18 PM

I can't believe these fanboys on Ain't it Cool News are upset that Spielberg and Lucas both passed over for directing The Spy Who Loved Me? Just because Spielberg directed that popcorn movie about the shark and just because Lucas directed that teen comedy set at the drive in doesn't mean they're good directors. I think they'll be one-film wonders... I hear Lucas and Spielberg are so bad that they're doing B-reel sci-fi movies now... you heard about how far over budget "The Star Wars" is and how delayed it'll be? That's what those artsy fartsy film school jerks deserve! Hurray to Brocolli for turning them down!

#55 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:30 PM

I can't believe these fanboys on Ain't it Cool News are upset that Spielberg and Lucas both passed over for directing The Spy Who Loved Me? Just because Spielberg directed that popcorn movie about the shark and just because Lucas directed that teen comedy set at the drive in doesn't mean they're good directors. I think they'll be one-film wonders... I hear Lucas and Spielberg are so bad that they're doing B-reel sci-fi movies now... you heard about how far over budget "The Star Wars" is and how delayed it'll be? That's what those artsy fartsy film school jerks deserve! Hurray to Brocolli for turning them down!

LOL. Touche, Fro! :tup:

Anyway, I've heard flick is in big do-dah. First they announced Guy Hamilton to direct (in December 1975) but we're in the middle of May 76 and no sign of movement on the film. On Pathe.com, they say they've gone through 12 scriptwriters!Sheesh, if only Harry Saltzman was around. Cubby obviously was the least talented of the duo. He won't last long without Harry. They can't even use the book - just the title. Not that that bothers them. And I hear they've got rid of the Aston Martin! Sheesh. They've given him some unmemorable white sports car named after a plant. Doesn't stand a chance against the ejector seat! And I've also heard the leading lady is going to try to equal Bond! This feminism lark is infecting Bond now. I've got nothing wrong with women wanting to be "liberated" but only after they've put the kids to bed and served me my dinner. That Goodnight bird was more the ticket: nice and simple but couldn't fill her bikini. Roger had his chance with the first two but bring back Connery I say. He was the only true Bond and this Saint ain't. No, this film has serious problems. In fact, I've decided, I'm not going to see it. Even though I've seen nairy a still, and loved all the previous Bonds, whenever it gets released in the Peckham Picture Palace, I won't be there. I'm the biggest Bond fan and it's my job to hate the work of Eon while spending large amounts of disposable cash and time on the character. 007? Count me out!

#56 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:59 AM

LOL. Touche, Fro! :D

Anyway, I've heard flick is in big do-dah. First they announced Guy Hamilton to direct (in December 1975) but we're in the middle of May 76 and no sign of movement on the film. On Pathe.com, they say they've gone through 12 scriptwriters!Sheesh, if only Harry Saltzman was around. Cubby obviously was the least talented of the duo. He won't last long without Harry. They can't even use the book - just the title. Not that that bothers them. And I hear they've got rid of the Aston Martin! Sheesh. They've given him some unmemorable white sports car named after a plant. Doesn't stand a chance against the ejector seat! And I've also heard the leading lady is going to try to equal Bond! This feminism lark is infecting Bond now. I've got nothing wrong with women wanting to be "liberated" but only after they've put the kids to bed and served me my dinner. That Goodnight bird was more the ticket: nice and simple but couldn't fill her bikini. Roger had his chance with the first two but bring back Connery I say. He was the only true Bond and this Saint ain't. No, this film has serious problems. In fact, I've decided, I'm not going to see it. Even though I've seen nairy a still, and loved all the previous Bonds, whenever it gets released in the Peckham Picture Palace, I won't be there. I'm the biggest Bond fan and it's my job to hate the work of Eon while spending large amounts of disposable cash and time on the character. 007? Count me out!

I'm geeked by the rumour that Anthony Burgess will be working on the script for THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. Fancy the filmmakers asking a seriously respected writer to tackle Bond! No doubt the film'll end up as the most hardcore literary Bond-flavoured outing since ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.

And how about the reports that Stanley Kubrick will be involved in the film in some way? His exact role remains unclear, but I don't buy the talk that all he'll be doing is helping out on the lighting. A likely story! My friends, you don't talk to Kubrick unless you want him to direct - and with Hamilton out of the picture, who better? I'm sure there'll be an announcement soon. :D

Burgess scripting and Kubrick directing - get ready for the darkest, grittiest Bond of all time, courtesy of the CLOCKWORK ORANGE boys! :tup:

And now a discussion from 1982:

RogerM
Yes its true Moore will not be back for Bond 13, cant say any more for now but they've been testing alot of actors and the likely Bond is James Brolin. Will keep u posted

Leiter's Hook
Oh, shut up, you annoying troll. Can we finally get RogerM banned? As though they'd cast not only an American but James flippin' Brolin of all people! Do you think we were born yesterday?

TopolFan
Well, whoever they get it's all academic coz Connery's new Bond film will put Broccoli's Bond out of business.

#57 dunmall

dunmall

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:34 AM

late 1995....

Well the small number of Brosnan detractors may have had a point...apparently the test screenings were disasterous! The film is too long, with action sequences that drag and go no where, unfinished special effect work. Apparently that Scorupco girl at one point says "There's nothing out there." while staring at a blue screen! It brought the house down!
Even the music got criticised! This doesn't bode well.
I'd say this could be the end, if it weren't for reshoots delaying Mission Impossible I'd be really worried!

Mid 1997...
Holy crap! what is going? Cast and crew members refusing to talk to the director!? Massive on going rewrites?! Vietnam denies the right to film on location! This doesn't bode well!
I'd say this could be the end, now we'll only have that 4-eyed buck tooth unfunny comedian to keep us company....

#58 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:42 AM

I'm geeked by the rumour that Anthony Burgess will be working on the script for THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. Fancy the filmmakers asking a seriously respected writer to tackle Bond! No doubt the film'll end up as the most hardcore literary Bond-flavoured outing since ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.

And how about the reports that Stanley Kubrick will be involved in the film in some way? His exact role remains unclear, but I don't buy the talk that all he'll be doing is helping out on the lighting. A likely story! My friends, you don't talk to Kubrick unless you want him to direct - and with Hamilton out of the picture, who better? I'm sure there'll be an announcement soon. :D

Burgess scripting and Kubrick directing - get ready for the darkest, grittiest Bond of all time, courtesy of the CLOCKWORK ORANGE boys! :tup:

And now a discussion from 1982:

RogerM
Yes its true Moore will not be back for Bond 13, cant say any more for now but they've been testing alot of actors and the likely Bond is James Brolin. Will keep u posted

Leiter's Hook
Oh, shut up, you annoying troll. Can we finally get RogerM banned? As though they'd cast not only an American but James flippin' Brolin of all people! Do you think we were born yesterday?

TopolFan
Well, whoever they get it's all academic coz Connery's new Bond film will put Broccoli's Bond out of business.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, Loomis!

#59 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:02 AM

Found this curious complaint letter from 1971 :

Dear Sir,
I was recently appalled at my local cinematorium's screening of DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, the latest "James Bond" cinematical picture. As well as having vulgar Americans in the picture, the film also featured homosexualists! Gay ones, even! Holding hands, for all to see! In addition to this travesty, a man was seen to be wearing ladies' clothing! What next, James Bond will keep company with the negro race? Ha, I'd like to see that, Sir! To make matters worse, I felt a curious feeling in the nether regions during a particular scene towards the end where this Bond character appeared to pleasure one of these gay types by pulling tightly upon his trousers. Most peculiar indeed, and I am returning to the cinematorium tonight to watch this scene repeatedly.

Edited by dinovelvet, 21 February 2006 - 03:03 AM.

#60 dunmall

dunmall

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:10 AM

I had no such concerns with the homosexual characters, atleast they were TRUE to Fleming.
However I did not fancy all that outer space stuff, like that Saturday evening Kids show, I half expected a blue telephone box to appear! Not to mention Bond driving an American Car!?
The slim fair haired Texan Felix, becoming a portly dark haired clod?! Never!
Where were the exciting but low key episodes from the novel? The train chase, the mud baths??
And what's this a global corporation being secretly run by a megalomaniac bent on world domination? What a flight of fancy! What next a criminal as president?

Sickening!

Edited by dunmall, 21 February 2006 - 03:10 AM.