181 replies to this topic

#1 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:22 PM

Imagine the internet was around from 1961 onwards. What would Bond fans have posted throughout the years? Come up with some imaginary posts....

Well, SpyNovelFan has just informed me that in 1961, the Babbage company came up with something called the Interweb, a precursor to the World Wide Web. Kept under lock and key (it was developed for military purposes), a bunch of historical posts have been unearthed. A lot of the developers worked for newsreel company, Path

#2 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

[quote name='Commander Fetherington Honte-Hawsley' post='520795' date='20 January 1961 - 12:22']
"And really, they've cut out the giant squid! Outrageous. And Prof Dent and Miss Taro aren't even in the book. And apparently, Carruthers told me that they have made Dr. No a monkey. Well, he read this on Path

#3 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

[quote name='ACE' post='520795' date='20 February 2006 - 13:22']
Imagine the internet was around from 1961 onwards. What would Bond fans have posted throughout the years? Come up with some imaginary posts....

Well, SpyNovelFan has just informed me that in 1961, the Babbage company came up with something called the Interweb, a precursor to the World Wide Web. Kept under lock and key (it was developed for military purposes), a bunch of historical posts have been unearthed. A lot of the developers worked for newsreel company, Path

#4 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

Crockfords
2nd February 1961

Dear Hanningfield

Re: Dent. Awfully long time since I read the novel. Of course, when Ian handed it two me in Ocho, I couldn't refuse. Damned spot of good luck. A cracking read.
Never met a fellow by the name of Dent when I had a rubber or three at the Queens.

Beastly Yanks, you say! I understand from Carruthers that one of those producer chappies is even worse - a Canadian! Same difference, I'll grant you but what would our colonial cousins know about James Bond?

I wouldn't know about Honeychile. You know I don't care for those "wrecker" things you're so enamoured with. They do so spoil everything, really. But I think it would be pretty safe to say they would keep her broken nose and naked entrance. I'm sure a snifter or two with that chap Trevelyan at the BBFC should resolve any problems on the censorship front (no real need for them now the war's been over for a decade now). What's the point of Fleming if one can't have the books appeal to warm-blooded heterosexuals on aeroplanes, trains and automobiles?

I have heard tell that they've ditched the good old Bentley and are giving Bond a Sunbeam motor car. Really, this is the dashed limit!

On a different subject, I have heard of a new James Bond club at St Catherine's run by a wipper snapper named Aitken. Have you heard of him? Perhaps one should have him over here at the club for a spot of luncheon.

Are you still on for Le Touquet at the end of the month?

Fail not!

Yours sincerely

Fetherington Honte-Hawsley

#5 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

December 16 1968

What do we think about the blokes rumoured to be in the running to replace Sean? Please God don't let them choose the Australian model How the hell would that guy manage the ending? (I'm presuming, of course, that they keep Fleming's ending - fat chance, though, considering the last few films.)

#6 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

Well, as you know, I'm not going to see it because he's Australian. Anyway, after the last few films, the film-makers obviously don't give a jot for Fleming. YOLT had nothing to do with the film (and how they can change the continuity in OHMSS beggars belief. After all, you just can't have Bond infiltrating Piz Gloria - Blofeld's already met him!). And they're changing Tracy from a blonde to a brunette. Thunderball had nothing about Blofeld and really changed the book around so much. I blame that on McClory though. Thank God we've seen the last of him. No, the film-makers are obviously going on their own and consigning Fleming to the rubbish bin with this film. I mean, he doesn't even go to France in the beginning! Silly really. Even though they've only just announced the cast and I've been a Bond fan since 1953, and I haven't seen a picture or reel of film, I'm not going to watch this piece of heresy to Fleming called OHMSS at the Peckham Picture Palace.

#7 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

I understand from Carruthers that one of those producer chappies is even worse - a Canadian!

Words fail me - not Beaverbrook, I trust? And a Sunbeam of all things.

On a different subject, I have heard of a new James Bond club at St Catherine's run by a wipper snapper named Aitken. Have you heard of him? Perhaps one should have him over here at the club for a spot of luncheon.

I know Beaverbrook's nephew Aitken is over at Christ Church - is he a Bond-lover, too? Good show. Keep your eye on him - I think he'll go far.

Are you still on for Le Touquet at the end of the month?

I look forward to trouncing you!

As ever, yours,

H

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

http://debrief.comma...topic=25998&hl=

#9 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

Beirut
February 1961

Hanningfield,

Thought I'd get out of Blighty and have a spot of luxury. Delissa sends her regards. How are the young ones - put their names down for the old school yet? Oh, I forgot, they're girls - they don't need schooling do they!

Beaverbrook - I shan't think anyone trusts that fellow. Didn't realize his nephew was this Aitken boy. Ah, Christ Church you say. Well, good moral fibre to him and I'm sure you're right: he will go far!

Yes, I do feel quite sure that these producer chappies do read what we say on this Interweb thing. They will listen to the good sense that is provided for them gratis on these pages. After all, we really do know our Fleming and they obviously have little regard for the fellow's stuff.

Please do not remind me, Hanny! I think I still owe you a couple of guineas from the last mauling you gave me. Still, might have better luck with the gigis.

Very best

Fethers

#10 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:31 PM

I seem to have pinched your idea, Jim! Sorry, old chap. Well, close if one must.

Well, as you know, I'm not going to see it because he's Australian. Anyway, after the last few films, the film-makers obviously don't give a jot for Fleming. YOLT had nothing to do with the film (and how they can change the continuity in OHMSS beggars belief. After all, you just can't have Bond infiltrating Piz Gloria - Blofeld's already met him!). And they're changing Tracy from a blonde to a brunette. Thunderball had nothing about Blofeld and really changed the book around so much. I blame that on McClory though. Thank God we've seen the last of him. No, the film-makers are obviously going on their own and consigning Fleming to the rubbish bin with this film. I mean, he doesn't even go to France in the beginning! Silly really. Even though they've only just announced the cast and I've been a Bond fan since 1953, and I haven't seen a picture or reel of film, I'm not going to watch this piece of heresy to Fleming called OHMSS at the Peckham Picture Palace.

Steady on - Lazenby is only rumoured as a candidate. They won't actually cast him. My insider source tells me that they've approached Roger Moore. Here's hoping: Moore would pretty much guarantee faithful, serious adaptations of Fleming's work for years to come.

#11 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:31 PM

ROTFLMAO! :tup: :D :D :D :(

Don't recall it but it's good. So, Jim, you obviously have heard about this Interweb thing before! Great minds and all that!

#12 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

Well, as you know, I'm not going to see it because he's Australian. Anyway, after the last few films, the film-makers obviously don't give a jot for Fleming. YOLT had nothing to do with the film (and how they can change the continuity in OHMSS beggars belief. After all, you just can't have Bond infiltrating Piz Gloria - Blofeld's already met him!).

Didn't you read the press release? It's a prequel to YOLT.

Yes, you heard that right!

Fleming will be turning in his grave.

#13 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:49 PM

Didn't you read the press release? It's a prequel to YOLT.

Yes, you heard that right!

Fleming will be turning in his grave.

Poor Ian. Even a couple of double brandy and ginger ales at El Vino's wouldn't soothe this pain away.

How CAN they think they will get away with this! Throwing away one of Fleming's best novels is sacrilege.

First they make Bond Australian
Then they change the character of Tracy completely
Then they change the locations around
They even change his car from a Bentley to an Aston Martin (at least they haven't given Bond a Maserati - Bond will always drive British, thank God. Well, not as if the Krauts or the Japs have very good cars!)
They invent entirely new characters and incidents at the expense of great passages from the book
They even have this Lewis Armstrong chap singing a song that's not even a title song! Terrible.

Well, I think it's safe to say that in 30 years time no-one will remember and certainly not revere this film.

Thank God, there are Bond fans like us who care. It's our job to criticize based on no facts and our prejudices.

#14 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

ACE my man--I have to throw a new twist on your thread. Contrary i'm afraid to your satire. :tup:

I'm sorry literaryfanman--you are wrong. You can't judge Sean Connery on Darby O'Gill, Tarzan and his minor roles. You have to be able to project him from those roles--you will see he has the Bondian traits if you use your imagination and is an underrated actor. Some of us Bond fans have open minds--come on Cary Grant is too old and the bastard would want too much money. Literaryfanman lets not get too caught up in trying to duplicate the books--Cubby knows the cinema is different than those books you love. Ian is a snob--he can't see what some of us fans can. Sean Connery is the one to be Bond. Just wait and see. :D

#15 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

Touche Seannery.

I think you are correct. How can I judge a performance before I have seen it?
And I am not a film professional and this Cubby fellow has been making fims for years. I have loved all his Warwick films so why would I suddenly think he will get it wrong. Yes, Seannery, I think I should be patient and have a little faith in film-makers whose past work I love.

And have you heard that theme tune? With the jangly modern electric guitar twang? Really, if you can call it music, it's more akin to those long-haired, undrilled louts who hang around the dance halls and drink filthy coffee all the time. Bond would never listen to anything other than the Inkspots or some nice calypso.

#16 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:28 PM

Sean Connery is the one to be Bond. Just wait and see. :tup:

Keep an open mind if you want, but I've already closed mine.

Connery is a rough Scot who has worked as a coffin polisher, of all things. He's already losing his hair and looks haggard. Look at the lines on his face! Will he be able to sound like Bond? From what I've seen of him, he seems to have the same working class Scottish accent in every role he plays! I predict we'll never hear of him again. As for the chances of them making another Bond film - forget it! With this casting, the idea of a series of two or even three films is dead in the water!

The only real hope is to cast Niven. I think a film with him as James Bond would, by definition almost, be brilliant.

How could I be wrong?

#17 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:37 PM

Touche Seannery.

I think you are correct. How can I judge a performance before I have seen it?
And I am not a film professional and this Cubby fellow has been making fims for years. I have loved all his Warwick films so why would I suddenly think he will get it wrong. Yes, Seannery, I think I should be patient and have a little faith in film-makers whose past work I love.

And have you heard that theme tune? With the jangly modern electric guitar twang? Bond would never have anything other than the Inkspots or some nice calypso.

Yes that theme music.......I just don't know. Fleming has much materials to go on--I can actually see this series going on for decades. I know i'm mad! Aren't I? And if it does I hope Cubby and Harry's children will have the same talent to pull things off(that may not be the case)--so that we can have faith in them too. But i'm being crazy now! Just a mad bugger. We'll be lucky to get 2 films!

Sean Connery is the one to be Bond. Just wait and see. :D

Connery is a rough Scot who has worked as a coffin polisher, of all things. He's already losing his hair and looks haggard. Look at the lines on his face! Will he be able to sound like Bond? From what I've seen of him, he seems to have the same working class Scottish accent in every role he plays! I predict we'll never hear of him again. As for the chances of them making another Bond film - forget it! With this casting, the idea of a series of two or even three films is dead in the water!

The only real hope is to cast Niven. I think a film with him as James Bond would, by definition almost, be brilliant.

How could I be wrong?

He's an actor mate--he can act it! And he has the tough tall dark looks that the pansy Niven could never do. Forget Fleming and his books--Cubby knows film and what will sell on film. Phineas Fogg as James Bond--please! :tup:

#18 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

How could I be wrong?

It's a powerful argument you have there, and of course, you're right. And only a proper Englishman of the right age can play Bond. And this O'Connolly chappie is far too young at 32. Not old enough to have served in the last war. How can that be right for the Commander. And he has tattoos. Yes, the series is doomed. Thank Goodness Fleming is only young and we'll have a few good novels from him over the next decades...

Yes that theme music.......I just don't know. Fleming has much materials to go on--I can actually see this series going on for decades. I know i'm mad! Aren't I? And if it does I hope Cubby and Harry's children will have the same talent to pull things off(that may not be the case)--so that we can have faith in them too. But i'm being crazy now! Just a mad bugger. We'll be lucky to get 2 films!

Well, they've only got a 6 film deal and let's face it, they won't get through that. Nobody's that interested in Bond films - the books are the thing. They've tried to make films over the years (1954, 1955, 1959) and TV series (1956, 1959) but no-one gives an owl's twoot. Let's face it, they are unfilmable. I mean, how can you show the theft of Fort Knox when no-one can get within 5 miles of the place? And how can they film underwater?
And as for shooting FRWL in Russia - they have about as much chance of doing that as the Russians have of assassinating a President. No, I don't think the producers' children will have to worry about 007...

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

I hear the new Bond has got fair hair! And what's all this jive about Q not appearing? Next thing they'll say we won't even see MI6 HQ in the film- these things are essential!
Plus I hear Bond no longer smokes cigarettes but cigars, doesn't wear a dinner jacket, wears a 'digital' watch (does this mean it has fingers instead of hands?), and won't be ordering a 'shaken not stirred' Martini again! This isn't James Bond at all! I hope they get a new man to play M- seeing old Bernard Lee in the middle of all this change would make no sense whatsoever and destroy the mystery and unquantifiable Bondiness of it all. Or something. Next thing they'll say is that Bond won't appear in the pre-title sequence or something awful like that. Bond had better keep mentioning Tracy all the way through or it won't make any sense.

They should really listen to the fans- we need more like that excellent Diamonds are Forever- fancy getting rid of Sean in his prime!

EDIT: Stop the press! Instead of the CORRECT and PROPER Aston Martin (although I may accept a Bently- I hear Flemmmming liked them) I hear Bond drives a Mini Moke and a Double Decker bus in this film! A MINI?!!! A BUS???!!! Are those producer cats joking?! Bond is dead!!!!!!!

#20 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

He's an actor mate--he can act it! And he has the tough tall dark looks that the pansy Niven could never do. Forget Fleming and his books--Cubby knows film and what will sell on film. Phineas Fogg as James Bond--please! :tup:

'Forget Fleming and his books'? Why adapt James Bond novels, in that case?

He's an actor. Well, so we're told. But so's Edward G Robinson, and I wouldn't want him as Bond!

And what about this Undress woman? I'd like to point out that they chased a 'steller' cast and as we now know from the report in The Express, a good many famous actresses turned them down. Again this is my point about these two producers running Bond into the ground with 2nd rate talent to save money and in the process lost integrity and respect.

There are far too many actors and actresses who would not touch James Bond. That was not the case under CBS. The sooner United Artists finds a way to replace these two producers the better.

#21 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

Sean Connery is the one to be Bond. Just wait and see. :tup:

Plus did you see the photos of him from the Dr No set? He was wearing a torn and dirtied T-shirt of all things and had blood all over his face!! Is this supposed to be James Bond?! Oh yes, if I'm stupid enough to fall for that you may as well try to sell me that telephone one can carry in one's packet!

#22 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

Well ACE--you are probably right. The series won't last long. The only chance they have is to get away from the books--add more humor and spectacle. And how about some crazy gadgets too. Make it crazy and cinematic. You know only lightly use Fleming. Nah........you are right--Cubby and Harry wouldn't have the imagination for that.

#23 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

I hear the new Bond has got fair hair....
.... wears a 'digital' watch (does this mean it has fingers instead of hands?)....

Are those producer cats joking?! Bond is dead!!!!!!!

(LOL about the digital watch gag, marktmurphy :tup: )

Yes, I'm outraged. I've been a Bond fan since I fully supported Shawn O'Connellys casting in 1963 and I believe they have insulted our intelligence in this Live And Let Die thing. As it is they've thrown the novel away, added all sorts of characters. Typical, the villain isn't going to be black - don't you just hate those civil rights guys - it's civil rights gone mad. Instead the baddie is going to be some white croccodile farmer called Dr Kananger. I read this on Pathe.com. And they've approached Diana Ross to play Solitaire - totally wrong. She was white in the book and white she should stay. Thank god the Mid West will back us up on this. And this Roger Moore fellow - far too old. He's older than Shawn! And they keep trying to say he's more what Fleming had in mind. And the worst thing of all, they've got that Beatle, Paul McCartney doing the music! How bad is that going to be? All rock n' roll and reggae music. No business in a Bond. Bring back Shirley Bassey - she should sing them all and they must all sound exactly like Goldfinger. Anyway, I've decided I'm not going to watch the film at the Peckham Picture Palace.

#24 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

I hear the new Bond has got fair hair! And what's all this jive about Q not appearing? Next thing they'll say we won't even see MI6 HQ in the film- these things are essential!
Plus I hear Bond no longer smokes cigarettes but cigars, doesn't wear a dinner jacket, wears a 'digital' watch (does this mean it has fingers instead of hands?), and won't be ordering a 'shaken not stirred' Martini again! This isn't James Bond at all! I hope they get a new man to play M- seeing old Bernard Lee in the middle of all this change would make no sense whatsoever and destroy the mystery and unquantifiable Bondiness of it all. Or something. Next thing they'll say is that Bond won't appear in the pre-title sequence or something awful like that. Bond had better keep mentioning Tracy all the way through or it won't make any sense.

They should really listen to the fans- we need more like that excellent Diamonds are Forever- fancy getting rid of Sean in his prime!

EDIT: Stop the press! Instead of the CORRECT and PROPER Aston Martin (although I may accept a Bently- I hear Flemmmming liked them) I hear Bond drives a Mini Moke and a Double Decker bus in this film! A MINI?!!! A BUS???!!! Are those producer cats joking?! Bond is dead!!!!!!!

Man, what a bummer! I had hoped this rumour of Bernard Lee returning was a conspiracy theory. How does that make any sense at all, EON? And forgive me, but I don't remember a character called Rosie Carver in the book! This is such lazy film-making - it's like they just watched Across 110th Street and decided 'Yeah, groovy! Let's do that! And let's take a couple of the actors from it while we're at it!'

It's weak, man. It's just weak.

I saw they even put a black CIA agent in the script, just in case we think they're being racist or whatever. How politically right-on. Why not make Bond black, for Pete's sake!

Ian Fleming's James Bond will not return.

#25 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

'Forget Fleming and his books'? Why adapt James Bond novels, in that case?

He's an actor. Well, so we're told. But so's Edward G Robinson, and I wouldn't want him as Bond!

And what about this Undress woman? I'd like to point out that they chased a 'steller' cast and as we now know from the report in The Express, a good many famous actresses turned them down. Again this is my point about these two producers running Bond into the ground with 2nd rate talent to save money and in the process lost integrity and respect.

There are far too many actors and actresses who would not touch James Bond. That was not the case under CBS. The sooner United Artists finds a way to replace these two producers the better.

Well mate--you got to lightly use Fleming NOT be slavish to him. And Sean has got the looks to be a cinematic hero not like Edgar "Little Caesar" Robinson. If Cubby and Harry listened to SOME of us fans he'd be in good shape. :D We know you don't need big stars--because Bond is the star.

#26 Hitchcock Bond

Hitchcock Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

Is this true that Bond is flying on a big kite in Live and Let Die? I thought he was in the Navy? Bond is just trying to cash in on the Derek Flint franchise.

#27 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

Well mate--you got to lightly use Fleming NOT be slavish to him. And Sean has got the looks to be a cinematic hero not like Edgar "Little Caesar" Robinson. If Cubby and Harry listened to SOME of us fans he'd be in good shape. :tup: We know you don't need big stars--because Bond is the star.

Conerry doesn't have the sophistication the part demands: has he ever even worn a suit? Terence Young is a hack director. Did you see his film The Tall Headlines? No - neither did anyone else! Ursula Undress can't even speak English properly! They've added unnecessary villains to Fleming's book - this Taro woman and Dent - and apparently the whole tone will be much more flippant. Based on what I've heard, I refuse to see it.

I've just finished reading Fleming's new one, Thunderball. It's his most original and exciting yet - and he didn't need any film producers' help to make it so!

#28 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

I fully supported the casting of Shawn O'Connelly and Roger More (and was desparate to see the films at the cinema) but I cannot back this latest decision. Timothy who? as James Bond? And I have not heard of any of that cast! There was no press conference to announce him as Bond and they've gone straight into filming. I mean really they obviously do not know what they are doing - I think Harry Saltzman should come back because Cubby and this new boy, Michael are not going to give us a very good film. And they keep banging on about Fleming in this one but it can't be. Esp. after AVTAK, which was so lame. They obviously are in real big problems. And Moneypenny isn't even consistent. She's blonde and young. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against blondes or even aeroplane blondes (blonde hair, black box) but this goes totally against what the character is in the Fleming books. I mean, such a physical transformation is confusing and not on. I mean, Pierce Bronston turned them down - they really needed a big TV star to take on the role. And Dalton? He just does TV miniseries and comedies with Mae West and comic book films. He'll be too broad and humourous to play Bond properly. No, they are doomed. This is the end of Bond. I shall not be watching it at the Peckham Picture Palace.

#29 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

Well mate--you got to lightly use Fleming NOT be slavish to him. And Sean has got the looks to be a cinematic hero not like Edgar "Little Caesar" Robinson. If Cubby and Harry listened to SOME of us fans he'd be in good shape. :tup: We know you don't need big stars--because Bond is the star.

Conerry doesn't have the sophistication the part demands: has he ever even worn a suit? Terence Young is a hack director. Did you see his film The Tall Headlines? No - neither did anyone else! Ursula Undress can't even speak English properly! They've added unnecessary villains to Fleming's book - this Taro woman and Dent - and apparently the whole tone will be much more flippant. Based on what I've heard, I refuse to see it.

I've just finished reading Fleming's new one, Thunderball. It's his most original and exciting yet - and he didn't need any film producers' help to make it so!

Oh bloody hell mate--you are as stubborn as Churchill! Just like I told you this American Rock n Roll is here to stay--i'm telling you can see bits and pieces especially in Darby where Connery has the charm and even smoothness. Did you see Corridors of Mirrors that Young directed--brillant stuff. It even has our new Moneypenny in it. These people know what they are doing. They know film--your Ian has his nose in ink.

#30 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

Oh bloody hell mate--you are as stubborn as Churchill! Just like I told you this American Rock n Roll is here to stay--i'm telling you can see bits and pieces especially in Darby where Connery has the charm and even smoothness. Did you see Corridors of Mirrors that Young directed--brillant stuff. It even has our new Moneypenny in it. These people know what they are doing. They know film--your Ian has his nose in ink.

You may be right about Connery, BUT I haven't yet seen anything of him that says 'James Bond'. I think they are making a big mistake and misjudging the mood of the time. I think I'm much better placed to judge the casting decisions than these professional film-makers so I'll not waste my money on watching their foolish ill-thought-out whims.