370 replies to this topic

#361 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

People should check out the movie The Cincinatti Kid to see how great a poker showdown can be. Steve McQueen takes on Edward G Robison.

I would also reccomend Rounders starring Jason Bourne himself, Matt Damon.

Is that the one that also has Ed Norton in it? I keep seeing parts of it when it's shown on TV but I don't think I've ever seen the full film.

#362 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

People should check out the movie The Cincinatti Kid to see how great a poker showdown can be. Steve McQueen takes on Edward G Robison.

Is that the one that also has Ed Norton in it? I keep seeing parts of it when it's shown on TV but I don't think I've ever seen the full film.

Yep, that's the one.

#363 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

Yep, that's the one.

it's alright but not brilliant

#364 Sir Hugo

Sir Hugo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:37 PM

I hope they pay attention to detail, unlike in Moonraker's card scene. I'd like it if they stayed true to Fleming's original card game, but then again who knows how to play that game any more?

#365 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

I'll miss baccarat.

#366 George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

I'm vaguely curious how everyone thought the Poker game went in the movie now that we've see it.

I admit I had my reservations about the game being changed, but when I saw how it worked in the film I was won over.

#367 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:15 AM

A change for the better. Thought so then...know so now.

#368 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:20 AM

A change for the better. Thought so then...know so now.

The only person that I have heard complain about poker in the film is a college professor of mine who said that "James Bond would not play a game as vulgar as Texas Hold Em."

My own opinion is that without the poker, too many people would have been lost and the satisfaction when Bond wins would not have been the same.

#369 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:59 AM

I never really had a problem with the change. Fleming picked baccarat because that's what he liked, but the actual game isn't really important. It's all in the suspense. Boil it down, and no matter what game they're playing, it's just Bond and Le Chiffre waiting to see what card comes up. Baccarat, blackjack, poker, even war (they should've been playing war in CR :)), it goes for all of them. Were they cashing in on pop culture? Sure. Does it matter? No. There was a time when Bond was pop culture. And pop culture is where the money is. That's showbusiness. I never bought into that "dumbing down" complaint either. How is it dumbing down when the game is more complex?

#370 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

I never bought into that "dumbing down" complaint either. How is it dumbing down when the game is more complex?

That is so true! Good point.

#371 George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

(they should've been playing war in CR :P)

Hahahah! That would have been great! :)

My only thing was that baccarat isn't that difficult to understand so to me there was no real point in changing it.

BUT ultimately with how they staged the game in the movie, I could see that they'd definately worked it to poker's advantage.

I certainly wasn't going to hate the film because they'd changed the game, but I do admit to wondering about it when I first heard about the change.