3181 replies to this topic

#3061 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

Hey guys, how did our Aussie Jarryd Hayne go in his first game from your points of view?

#3062 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:30 AM

Looked great, Dave!! Had some great runs for the 49ers the other night..So cool that another Aussie is making it in the NFL. (Darren Bennett, former punter for San Diego was another I think)And he's a rugby player and not and Aussie Rules Footballer as I would have expected.

#3063 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

2 weeks in, here are my predictions for the season:

AFC East: Probably the most difficult division to call this season, which is strange. Buffalo, Miami and the Jets have all improved (especially the Jets), but the Pats did remind Buffalo who runs the show in the AFC East.

Patriots    12-4

Bills          11-5

Jets           9-7

Dolphins   7-9

AFC North: The second toughest division after the East. Pittsburgh's offense is right up with the Pats and Pack for tops in the league, however their defense leaves much to be desired. Baltimore has had a terrible start, while Cincy has played as well as expected. The Browns could be a sleep, but I highly doubt it

Steelers    11-5

Bengals    10-6

Ravens      7-9

Browns     6-10

AFC South: The worst division in football yet again. Jacksonville pulled off a surprise victory in week 2 and Marcus Mariota has played very well early, while Andrew Luck and the Colts have just plain stunk. People need to stop making excuses for Luck when he has a bad game. He needs to learn when to just take the sack. Several of those picks against the Jets wouldn't have occurred had it been Brady or Rodgers under center.

Colts       10-6

Titans       8-8

Texans     7-9

Jaguars    5-11

AFC West: Another strange one as KC has played very schizophrenic football and Denver needs to find it's offense. As it stands, I don't trust either of them, I'm picking the Chargers to win the division. The Raiders pulling off a miraculous win against the offense-deprived Ravens doesn't mean anything. These are still the same old Raiders.

Chargers   11-5

Broncos     9-7

Chiefs        7-9

Raiders      4-12

NFC East: With the injury-depleted Cowboys leading this woeful division, a 6-10 division winner doesn't seem that farfetched. The Cowboys have enough weapons that they may be able to tread water until Romo is healthy and win the division at 8-8 or 9-7. I must admit though, Dallas got it right be letting DeMarco Murray go. It seems Dallas' O-line was as much a factor in his success as his own talent. Philadelphia have screwed themselves for years to come. Also, even with two Super Bowl wins, it's time for Big Blue to give up on the Eli Manning experiment. He just isn't that good.

Cowboys     8-8

Washington DC Professional Football Team    7-9

Giants          5-11

Eagles         3-13

NFC North: Green Bay finally got a victory against Seattle. Sure it doesn't make up for the NFC title game or the Fail Mary, but at least the Packers control the conference now and, for the moment, home-field advantage. The Lions can't hold a lead and the Bears can't hold anything. However, the Vikings appear rejuvenated with Peterson back and Bridgewater settling in nicely. I definitely see the Vikings as a wildcard.

Packers     13-3

Vikings       10-6

Lions           7-9

Bears          2-14

NFC South: One game does not a career make, as Jameis Winston once again proved. I don't see it out of the realm of possibility that the Bucs could contend when they have to play 10 games against the AFC and NFC South divisions. The Panthers seem to be the class here, though that just goes to show you how weak this division is. The loss of Brees effectively knocks New Orleans out of contention, though their disdain for defense had probably already done that. I'm also not buying the Falcons.

Panthers       9-7

Falcons         7-9

Buccaneers  6-10

Saints           5-11

NFC West: Oh the NFC West. The division that gave us our first sub-.500 division winner. What was the best division over the past 3 years, may still be however it's different players calling the shots. Seattle's D is not as fierce without Kam Chancellor, though I still don't see the Seahawks caving to him anytime soon (they get to 0-4 however, that may be a different story). The 49ers are still in rebuilding mode. Judging by Frank Gore's horrendous debut with the Colts, they do seem to have made the correct decision in cutting him, though I still believe they erred in pushing out Jim Harbaugh. The Rams won out in the Bradford-Foles deal and certainly have the Seahawks' and Cardinals' numbers and could be a player, but I still think they're a year away at least. If Carson Palmer stays healthy, Arizona will run away with this division as they should have last year.

Cardinals    12-4

Seahawks   10-6

Rams           8-8

49ers           4-12

#3064 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:38 AM

Great analysis, seawolf.. :)

My take..

AFC EAST:  (Yawn! Pats win it again ...although Buffalo I think is the biggest challenger and has the best chance. Despite what I saw from the Jets last night, how long will it be before Ryan Fitzpatrick metamorphoses into Ryan Fitztragic, as he's done with his previous teams.. Miami is not quite there yet..but making progress.)

Patriots 13-3

Bills       11-5

Jets       10-6

Dolphins 9-7

AFC West:  (Not to be biased, but I still have faith my Broncos can get it together and win the division. We just need to get the running game going, and I think the offensive line will somehow get it together. The only question is can Peyton and Kubiak come up with a mutual offensive system that works? The Chiefs have too much talent to not make the playoffs as a Wild Card..we'll see how good they really are next Monday night when they go to Lambeau and take on the Packers.. The Chargers will do what they always do..start the season off great, and eventually falter. And I'm not totally sold on the Raiders either, despite an impressive win over Baltimore.)

Broncos  11-5

Chiefs     10-6

Chargers 9-7

Raiders   8-8

AFC North:  (This one is a bit of a head scratcher for me..Pittsburgh..for the moment, has the edge but I have a feeling that that could change at some point during the season. I know that the loss of Terrell Suggs is a mighty blow to the Baltimore Ravens, but I think that at some point they'll find their stride. Meanwhile, it HAS to be do or die time for Marvin Lewis, Andy Dalton and the Cincinnati Bengals.. Just how many more seasons of early playoff exits must their fans endure? As for the Browns...the vote, at least to me, is still out on Johnny Manziel..Sure he had a great game this past weekend, but I can't trust management not to do the right thing when it comes to Josh McCown coming back and deciding who'll be the QB..a la Brian Hoyer and Manziel last year.)

Pittsburgh  10-6

Baltimore    9-7

Cincinnati   8-8

Cleveland  5-11

AFC South: ( Well now, I was all ready to hand this division to the Indianapolis Colts....until I saw last night's debacle! :P I cannot believe how this team came into Denver last year and knocked us out of the playoffs.. Andrew Luck was terrible and the offensive line looks just as bad as Denver's.. Houston might be the winner here although who knows if Marcus Mariotta and Titans could surprise.. Meanwhile, Jacksonville is still Jacksonville..)

Houston  7-9

Indianapolis 6-10

Tennessee  5-11

Jacksonville 4-12

NFC East: (No doubt about it. This is the crap-de-la-crap division in the NFL.. Chip Kelly and the "supposed-to-be-great" Eagles... AWFUL.. Sam Bradford isn't the answer at QB and it looks like Kelly went snake eyes on rolling the dice with DeMarco Murray. Dallas, miraculously could be the winner of the division even with no Tony Romo for 8 weeks, no Dez Bryant, Jason Whitten banged up etc.. Meanwhile, the Washington No Names have again bottched the RGIII situation and I wouldn't be surprised if Jay Gruden gets fired at the end of the season and I have to wonder if the NY Giants are regretting giving Eli a big contract extension..)

Dallas 8-8

Philadelphia 6-10

New York Giants 5-11

Washington No Names 3-13

NFC West: ( Super Bowl loss hangover and Kam Chancellor's holdout, have me definitely dropping the Seahawks in the rankings. Actually I've got the Arizona Cardinal's winning this division...if Carson Palmer stays healthy.. As for the St. Louis Rams, is Nick Foles the answer at QB? We know how well Sam Bradford is working out in Philly. And the 49ers..hard to believe that just 3 years ago, they were in the Super Bowl.)

Arizona 12-4

Seattle  10-6

St.Louis  9-7

San Francisco 7-9

NFC North: (This one's easy...the Green Bay Packers are still division champs.. Detroit, I think could make strides this season and I'm not sure just how well Adrian Peterson will do for the Vikings after being out of football for over a year. Meanwhile..Jimmy Clausen is starting for Da Bears...Let me say that again...Jimmy Clausen!!)

Green Bay  12-4

Detroit         9-7

Minnesota   8-8

Chicago      6-10

NFC South; (I had my hopes that Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints were going to have a big year...now that we know he is likely to miss a few games (get ready, Verizon Wireless spokesman, Luke McCown), that hope is gone. Something about the way first year coach Dan Quinn is coaching the Atlanta Falcons, has me pronouncing them the champs. Cam Newton and the Panthers should have a good year, but Kelvin Benjamin's off season loss will be felt. Meanwhile, Jameis Winston and the Buccaneers have a long way to go.)

Atlanta 12-4

Carolina 9-7

New Orleans 8-8

Tampa Bay 5-11

#3065 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:02 AM

Thanks, likewise Dove.  :D

The way the Colts beat your Broncos last year had to do with the fact that Indy was better and Denver was depleted. Manning is just not Manning anymore. The Colts' problems stem from absolutely horrendous management in their front office. They brought in aging superstars and drafted against their needs. The O-line is terrible and Luck is simply overrated. Philip Dorsett will probably be a great receiver, but he is not what Indy needed. I firmly believe that Denver would beat Indy were they to play again

I agree that this is a make or break year for Cincy. Personally, I think Marvin Lewis is a fantastic coach who has just had rotten luck. It's a shame that he wasn't paired with a better QB. Andy Dalton is nothing more than Chad Pennington with red hair. Unfortunately for them, I only see Cincy gaining a wildcard bid and losing to Pittsburgh.

#3066 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:16 AM

Hard to pin down how the Jets are going to do this season. The defense looks outstanding and, if they continue playing the way they are, very easily could end up as the #1 unit in the league. Heck, three more takeaways and they'll already have matched their number from the entire 2014 season.

It really does come down to Fitzpatrick. Sadly to say, that's what is going to keep this team from reaching its potential. If they had even just a mediocre QB, they'd definitely be a playoff contender and perhaps a fringe Super Bowl contender. With Fitzpatrick, though, I'm afraid that they're going to miss the playoffs.

#3067 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:54 AM

Hope that isn't the case for your sake, tdalton!

#3068 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:01 AM

Hope that isn't the case for your sake, tdalton!

Thanks.  :)

It is what it is, though.  I just want to see the Jets make it to the Super Bowl once before football is outlawed in the US.  I'd almost be tempted, if I were the GM, to give some of the recently retired guys like Kyle Orton or Kurt Warner and see if they'd be interested in one last go at it.  Regardless, there needs to be another option aside from Fitzpatrick.  Everyone is heaping praise upon him for last night, but I don't see it.  He looked subpar last night, and was bailed out by Brandon Marshall (Chicago should be ashamed for letting him go for so little in return), Eric Decker, and a very banged-up Colts secondary. 

The real shame is that we're going to waste yet again a championship caliber defense on a bad QB.  Had Rex Ryan swallowed his pride and asked Brett Favre to come back for the 2009 season, I'm fairly confident that we would have won the Super Bowl that season.  There's no question in my mind about that.  Now we're facing a similar situation, although instead of an untested rookie we're starting a mediocre journeyman who has never won more than 6 games in a season.

#3069 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

http://finance.yahoo...-142755100.html

Well..that didn't take long for the Browns to make that huge QB goof that I mentioned in my above post... :P

#3070 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:54 PM

I don't see it as a mistake. McCown had the Browns' offense moving quite well against what has, thus far, looked like the league's best defense in the Jets before suffering a concussion on a hit at the 1 yard line heading into the endzone. Manziel looked very, very average at best the rest of that game. Yes, he had a good day against the Titans but, that was a rather subpar opponent. McCown, by all accounts, is the favored QB in the locker room and has, thus far, proven to be the better QB on the field. Now, if he were to falter, they should go back to Manziel, but they have a better chance of winning with McCown on the field.

#3071 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:24 AM

seawolf, Dove, excellent predictions!!!

As for the Aints I am going to watch their games while drunk. It's for the best.

#3072 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:25 AM

Well Dove, your Broncos are certainly surprising me :P . Maybe they can win the west after all. Of course, Manning may not be playing at this level come November and December, but we'll wait and see.

#3073 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:54 AM

I was at the game against the Vikings today in Denver!! Our defense is playing lights out, and Manning is getting there, though he threw two picks today. Still though, I'm happy! 4-0, here we go!! Next up..the Oakland Raiders..

#3074 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:15 AM

The Broncos defense is the reason they have won every game this year. Manning is having his worse start in a loooooooong time. And we're supposed to think he'll get better as the season continues? I'm a Manning fan but I don't think so.

Edited by 00Hockey Mask, 05 October 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#3075 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

We'll see.... ;)

#3076 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

So Denver is coming back to Earth it looks like. Green Bay has major problems. Arizona is clearly king in the NFC West. Carolina and Cincy are surprise undefeateds and New England is well New England. Odds NE/CAR/CIN go undefeated:

My predictions:

New England 10%

Carolina 5%

Cincinnati 4%

#3077 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

The Broncos defense is the reason they have won every game this year. Manning is having his worse start in a loooooooong time. And we're supposed to think he'll get better as the season continues? I'm a Manning fan but I don't think so.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

#3078 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

Jeez, if you love that guy so much, why don't you marry him?

#3079 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

Jeez, if you love that guy so much, why don't you marry him?
He's an a$$.

#3080 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

Well, I was right that Cincinnati had the lowest chance of running the table. How is TJ Yates their kryptonite?

#3081 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

I've waited until after midseason to pass judgment on the Jets, but it's clear from watching the games this season that they made a mistake with the Bowles hire. He's terrible, and somehow looks like he has less of a clue than Rex Ryan, a hard feet to pull off because Rex is a moron.

Oh well. I guess Super Bowl III will go down as the franchise's lone championship.

#3082 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:15 PM

Welp...Happy 25th Birthday to Brock Osweiler! He's looking pretty damn good and I definitely think he'll be the choice when The-Team-That-Must-Never-Be-Named comes to Denver next Sunday night. As sad as I am regarding the injured and broken-down Manning, I can't help but feel encouraged for what Brock 'N Roll can bring to the Broncos... :)

#3083 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

Yes, Dove. Let's hope Kid Brock can bring down the Evil Empire...sometimes the good guys do win!

#3084 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:02 PM

The Packers ended their losing streak. We'll see if this is the beginning of a trend or an anomaly.

Dove, you know I'm not a particularly big Broncos (or Manning) fan, however, as long as The-Team-That-Must-Not-Be-Named never wins another game, I'm happy.

#3085 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

The Packers ended their losing streak. We'll see if this is the beginning of a trend or an anomaly.

Dove, you know I'm not a particularly big Broncos (or Manning) fan, however, as long as The-Team-That-Must-Not-Be-Named never wins another game, I'm happy.

:)

Yes, Dove. Let's hope Kid Brock can bring down the Evil Empire...sometimes the good guys do win!

Fingers crossed, Eric!

#3086 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

Though, we may not be talking about the same team, Dove.  ;)

#3087 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

I hope they start him against New England as opposed to Manning. I want to see one of these young QBs go up against Brady and take him down.

That said, I'll unfortunately be rooting for Brady tonight. While the Pats* will always remain my least favorite team, at this point in time, my disdain for Rex Ryan outweighs my disdain for the Pats*.

#3088 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:56 AM

Buffalo having issues with their headsets in a two minute drill in New England. What are the odds?

#3089 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:24 AM

The Bills have had trouble with their headsets all season. Read somewhere that they forgot to charge them when the were in London. Not sure how accurate that information was, though.

Still, couldn't happen to a better guy. So happy to see Rex come up short again versus the Pats*.

#3090 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

Not a Pats fan. Not a Rex fan.