This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adrian Paul - yes or no?

325 replies to this topic

Poll: Adrian Paul as James Bond?

Adrian Paul as James Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:36 AM

Really? I see...

Yes [ 50 ] [64.10%]
No [ 28 ] [35.90%]
Total Votes: 78

Oooh, you were referring to the percents. Gotcha now. :)

#272 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:51 AM

Really? I see...

Yes [ 50 ]  [64.10%]
No [ 28 ]  [35.90%]
Total Votes: 78

Oooh, you were referring to the percents. Gotcha now. :)

Oops, left out the "%" thingo. :)

#273 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:52 AM

[quote name='Blofeld's Cat' date='6 August 2004 - 22:51'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='7 August 2004 - 10:36'] [quote name='Blofeld's Cat' date='6 August 2004 - 22:35'] Really? I see...

Yes [ 50 ]

#274 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:46 AM

That's my man! I've seen more than a bit of his acting and talent and he can do BOND. I've also stood shoulder to shoulder right next to him and accepted a piece of chocolate out of a bowl he was graciously offering to fans just this past February. He wore no make-up, there were no special lights, just him walking around among a limited number of fans and I assure everyone who thinks he looks too old for Bond that he looks fantastic and quite capable of making 4 or 5 Bond films and after that probably STILL wouldn't look the age that Pierce does now. I'm not saying this to be hateful about Pierce, because I like Pierce and I wanted him to be Bond since his Remington Steele days, I'm just saying Adrian Paul really does look great and not anywhere near his actual age. Let's remember our Indiana Jones lines "It's not the years, it's the mileage." He takes care of himself.

I've heard others frequently post they would like a more Connery- style Bond again, with more physical fights and less CGI. If you want a Bond who can deliver that kind of style and fighting moves with believability, you need to think seriously about Adrian. I watched him perform a martial arts kata with double knives that lasted several minutes and he moved through the piece with skill and grace that was truly amazing. This wasn't a piece of film edited and spliced and done over and over til it looked good...this was Adrian performing live for his fans.

And the fact he would consent to do this...for fans...also speaks to his generous nature and charming personality, a good trait in a Bond who will have to do press tours.

#275 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:50 AM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='6 August 2004 - 22:52'] [quote name='Blofeld's Cat' date='6 August 2004 - 22:51'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='7 August 2004 - 10:36'] [quote name='Blofeld's Cat' date='6 August 2004 - 22:35'] Really? I see...

Yes [ 50 ]

#276 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:53 AM

That's my man! I've seen more than a bit of his acting and talent and he can do BOND. I've also stood shoulder to shoulder right next to him and accepted a piece of chocolate out of a bowl he was graciously offering to fans just this past February. He wore no make-up, there were no special lights, just him walking around among a limited number of fans and I assure everyone who thinks he looks too old for Bond that he looks fantastic and quite capable of making 4 or 5 Bond films and after that probably STILL wouldn't look the age that Pierce does now. I'm not saying this to be hateful about Pierce, because I like Pierce and I wanted him to be Bond since his Remington Steele days, I'm just saying Adrian Paul really does look great and not anywhere near his actual age. Let's remember our Indiana Jones lines "It's not the years, it's the mileage." He takes care of himself.

I've heard others frequently post they would like a more Connery- style Bond again, with more physical fights and less CGI. If you want a Bond who can deliver that kind of style and fighting moves with believability, you need to think seriously about Adrian. I watched him perform a martial arts kata with double knives that lasted several minutes and he moved through the piece with skill and grace that was truly amazing. This wasn't a piece of film edited and spliced and done over and over til it looked good...this was Adrian performing live for his fans.

And the fact he would consent to do this...for fans...also speaks to his generous nature and charming personality, a good trait in a Bond who will have to do press tours.

I'm sure he looks great for 45(martial arts is like a fountain of youth).Roger was 45 on his first outing and he looked fantastic but I'd really prefer to see a 35-40 yr old version of Bond. Bond's prime was Sean Connery '62-'67 and lazenby...I'm sure Adrian Paul could deliver a servicable James Bond incarnation but I think there's better talent available.

#277 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:22 AM

Sean Connery was 32 when he first played Bond, Lazenby was 29, Moore was 45, Dalton was 40, Brosnan was 42 (would have been 33 if he got the role in "The Living Daylights" in 1986). Bond was in his mid-30s in the earlier Fleming books. In "Diamonds" he remarks that he isn't 40 yet.

So if they found a rugged-looking and talented guy in his mid-30s, they'd be right on.

#278 sheryl318

sheryl318

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:41 AM

Check out the Hollywood.com Poll.
Adrian Paul is in the lead with 32%

Unknown Actor 29%
Jude Law 16%
Clive Owens 12%
Ewan McGregor 12%

http://www.hollywood...article/1109066

#279 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:30 AM

that poll result says something.... :)

#280 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:35 PM

Unknown Actor 29%
Jude Law 16%
Clive Owens 12%
Ewan McGregor 12%

Does someone have the link to that poll?

The link there is taking me to an article about People magazine's best body parts.

#281 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:41 PM

Unknown Actor 29%
Jude Law          16%
Clive Owens      12%
Ewan McGregor  12%

Does someone have the link to that poll?

The link there is taking me to an article about People magazine's best body parts.

[dark], you have to scroll down a bit to see the poll on the left. I made it Quick News yesterday. :)

#282 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:44 PM

still , it's interesting to see Adrian Paul leads the poll .... this should tell something to Eon producers to screen test him.

#283 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:45 PM

still , it's interesting to see Adrian Paul leads the poll .... this should tell something to Eon producers to screen test him.

Not really.

Eon probably won't take a look at this poll, when you think of all the others as well.

#284 Daltonfan

Daltonfan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:06 PM

What it tells me is that the hollywood.com poll is poorly constructed. Not only is Jackman missing from the list, but he doesn't qualify under the "other" category as this was restricted to "unknown actors". Ditto any other known actor beyond Law, McGregor and Owen.

Edited by Daltonfan, 07 August 2004 - 01:36 PM.

#285 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:27 PM

I see what you're saying and do wonder myself sometimes on these polls. I'm just thrilled Adrian is on this one, so many times he isn't even listed and he wants the role and has auditioned in the past many times, so I agree with you when you ask "who comes up with these?" and how do they decide?

The thing that gets me is on other ones you'll actually see names of actors who have gone on record as saying "not interested" and "never contacted by a producer", so why are they even listed? I would think at least the names to vote on would be the actors who haven't gone on record as saying "not the least bit interested." I believe the majority is PR hype and sometimes a true contender might slip in there among them!

#286 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:30 PM

What it tells me is that the hollywood.com poll is poorly constructed. Not only is Jackman missing from the list, but he doesn't qualify under the "other" category as this was restricted to "unknown actors". Ditto any other known actor beyond Law, McGregor and Owen.

Yes it is. Far better would be putting on many of the contenders that have a chance, and even some of the rumoured ones. I say this not because I want Jackman for the role, but you don't leave him out of a poll.

#287 gbjay

gbjay

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:37 AM

:) Now that Pierce seems to have stepped down (I'm totally surprised)'cause I liked Pierce, he was really starting to get a grasp on 007--but all may not be chaotic, because the tall, medium more muscular built Sean Connery look alike; Adrian Paul of the TV Hilander Series would be the perfect heir to the Bond throne!

If he has not been offered the opportunity, then it's high-time we all start a buzz in EON's ear or e-mail box about grabbin this guy up. Of course in classic Hollywood type style, it seems that as soon as EON had finally understood and nearly recaptured the magic formula of the original Bond series, "Bingo" out the door goes the Star!

Well, perhaps if EON handles all of this well by developing a deep and emotion driven script, combined with the classic 007 Score and a fabulous Title Theme song, then we just may be able to pretend that Connery as Bond has been reincarnated!

Of course, only time and EON will tell, eh mates?

G. Bjay! :)

#288 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:46 AM

Merged your thread into here. Welcome to CBn! :)

#289 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:10 AM

I could definately see him being Bond. Especially after seeing him in Highlander: Endgame. He's pretty good with the quips, and not afraid to get physical. Only problem I see is that after Brosnan, I think EON is going to go after someone who has a built in audience (this is why I feel so strongly Jackman will get the role). Last I checked Paul was not a big draw (outside of the Highlander fandom that is).

#290 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:18 AM

Of course, only time and EON will tell, eh mates?

Quite so, it's too early to rule out everything. I'm surprised at the amount of support in this rumor, just not sure.

#291 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:40 PM

Adrian's answer to the question about Bond on the TV Guide online interview raises a few questions. He says he'd love to do it ( that's better than some who claim they're not sure they'd want the part or not ) but the vague "they might go for a young guy next time. A 25 yr old " is a bit disconcerting. He follows it up with "Who knows?" Which leaves hope... As you all know, I am of course in Adrian Paul's corner on this...but I will accept another Bond ( if he's good) but I really can't go with the Bond in the 20's. Bond should be an experienced man in his late 30's or 40's in my book. I WANT Adrian for the part, but I'll watch BOND no matter who they pick, because I have always watched and liked BOND, but really....it will be hard to watch a 20 something Bond without being a bit disappointed.

#292 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:48 PM

Adrian's answer to the question about Bond on the TV Guide online interview raises a few questions. He says he'd love to do it ( that's better than some who claim they're not sure they'd want the part or not ) but the vague "they might go for a young guy next time. A 25 yr old " is a bit disconcerting. He follows it up with "Who knows?" Which leaves hope... As you all know, I am of course in Adrian Paul's corner on this...but I will accept another Bond ( if he's good) but I really can't go with the Bond in the 20's. Bond should be an experienced man in his late 30's or 40's in my book. I WANT Adrian for the part, but I'll watch BOND no matter who they pick, because I have always watched and liked BOND, but really....it will be hard to watch a 20 something Bond without being a bit disappointed.

It seems like he was just speculating that a 20 something is one possibility. As he said, "Who knows?"--it could be a 20 something, it could be him, a famous name, someone really obscure, it could mean a variety of people. It seems open yet with a bunch of people still having a chance as of this moment including Adrian Paul. So I wouldn't be worried that a 20 something actor is imminent.

#293 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

When did Bond become Mediterranean?

B level TV actors shouldn't be Bond. And don't throw Remington Steele out there because it was on a real network not syndicated on Saturdays and late night TV.

Maybe they'll get the guy from "Kung Fu - The Legend Continues" to play Felix. Or Rob Estes.

#294 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, Seannery, I realize if he is up for it, he's not going to confirm it before the producers, but the 25 yr old remark led me to believe he might be privy to the direction they are leaning. On the other hand, he did say "Who knows?" which leaves it wide open for speculation. It's for certain no one can come back later and claim he gave anything away from that interview! LOL

And I noticed he never stated he wasn't in contention! He just said in that charming Adrian Paul way of his..."It's coming up again, isn't it?"

#295 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:59 PM

Glor, I realize everyone has their favorite and their opinion of who should be Bond, but I don't think it's necessary to label Adrian Paul a "B" actor because his show was syndicated. It had an international audience and was an acclaimed show for it's writing, direction, acting, and production values.

Let's see...it wasn't on real networks...are those the same networks that are now providing us with such wonderful fare as REALITY SHOWS which have nothing whatsoever to do with talent, direction, writing, scripts, or even actors!

Please...give me a well-written syndicated show anyday over those!

#296 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:01 PM

When did Bond become Mediterranean?

I believe he's englishman. :)

Birth name
Adrian Paul Hewett
Date of birth (location)
29 May 1959, London, England, UK
Born and raised in London, England, Adrian Paul boasts a colorful background.

#297 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:27 PM

According to his own web site he is half Italian.
Adrian Paul Biography

Check his stats on IMDB if you think he isn't a B actor. Highlander is the only thing that stands out. He was a guest star on Charmed and Relic Hunter. Sorry, I just don't think he's very good. Fans might appreciate a "lesser-known" star in the role but in this day and age if Bond doesn't bring in well over $100 million it won't continue.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment regarding reality shows. They've gotten very rediculous and they are so predictable they might as well be scripted.

#298 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:43 PM

According to his own web site he is half Italian. 
Adrian Paul Biography

Check his stats on IMDB if you think he isn't a B actor.  Highlander is the only thing that stands out.  He was a guest star on Charmed and Relic Hunter.  Sorry, I just don't think he's very good.  Fans might appreciate a "lesser-known" star in the role but in this day and age if Bond doesn't bring in well over $100 million it won't continue.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment regarding reality shows.  They've gotten very rediculous and they are so predictable they might as well be scripted.

Well we disagree on his suitablility and talent big time but with regards to his being half English and Italian that is no big deal. He has the Bond looks and as has pointed out many times he looks like a young Connery who of course looks Bond-like. And as a recent article has shown Timothy Dalton has a lot of Italian in him also--I think he is also half. Tall, dark and handsome Dalton, Connery and Paul.

Edited by Seannery, 11 August 2004 - 08:54 PM.

#299 Pussycat

Pussycat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:01 PM

We'll agree to disagree Glor. I've seen Adrian Paul turn in some wonderful performances. Some subtle, some not so subtle. You can call him a "B" actor if you wish, but I have seen some of the "A" list actors turn in performances in big budget films that didn't come close to the talent Adrian has displayed numerous times. You are entitled to your opinion of him, of course.

As for his appearance on Relic Hunter... the producer of that show was going to be an executive producer of Tracker along with Adrian. I suspect he made the appearance as a "good will" gesture since they were co-producing another new series together.

He has chosen many independent film roles in the last couple of years, all of the roles different and I suspect designed to showcase his ability to act in something other than just an "action" role.
He is signed as a lead in the proposed film "Snow Prince" which is going to have him cast with some of the most respected English actors.

#300 sheryl318

sheryl318

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:00 AM

Bravo Adrian:

http://www.mi6.co.uk...php?itemid=1594

http://www.tvguide.c...der/040811b.asp