155 replies to this topic

#61 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 07:03 PM

Fleming must of gone bonkers in his old age. He obviously didn't realise how rubbish Moore would be

#62 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 02:27 PM

First you didn't know who the hell Hoagy Charmichael was, now you're calling Fleming bonkers, please, Bondpurist, what will you come up with next?

#63 Max Zorin007

Max Zorin007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 04:17 PM

I think tld is much better. It seems like more of a movie and ltk seems like it was slopped together. and if i watch ltk i always feel like im watching an episode of baywatch

#64 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 05:58 PM

Baywatch? Hardly. LTK is gritty, realistic and perfect for Dalton's brilliant performance as Bond. It it closer to the literary 007 than most of the films named after Fleming's novels/short stories. It is the most violent Bond film, and isn't the normal formulaic stuff - it may not feel so much like the cinematic Bond but it sure feels like the literary 007. As for IC, Hoagy Carmichael was an ugly customer and before my time, and Fleming MUST have been mad to have even considered Roger Moore. Let's put it this way - before Connery did it Fleming thought he would be rubbish. After he said Connery was good. Before Moore did it Fleming thought he would be good. Following the obvious pattern he would of thought that Moore was rubbish after he did it. Fleming obviously wasn't the best judge as to who would catch his creation well if he didn't like Connery beforehand. So there.

#65 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 06:19 PM

Fleming heard that a former truck driver was going to be James Bond, you can possibly understand why he was nervous without knowing all of the facts.

#66 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 05:02 PM

Well, he had plenty of time to work out Connery's merits after the revelation that he was a former truck driver, and I think he was a bit more than nervous at the prospect of Connery being 007 - he only begrudgingly congratulated Connery after the FRWL - he wasn't just nervous; he was downright apprehensive.

#67 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:43 PM

Did you know Fleming hated movies? He wanted to sell the rights to Bond because of the money. Dr. No and FRWL were some of the few movies Fleming ever watched in his life.

#68 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:47 PM

Yes I did know that actually - he only ever saw 4 in his life time - Cavalcade and Gone With The wind, as well as the Bond ones.

#69 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:51 PM

I'm shocked and amazed that you knew that. You're really some kind of Dalton Bond fan. My hat would be off to you if I were wearing one. But I'm not, so it's not.

#70 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:54 PM

Remember, I still didn't know who Hoagy Carmichael was!

#71 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:56 PM

You two (IC and BP) are getting a reputation now as the two bickerers of them forums (jokin):). Well, you post totals have gone up since I last checked, and the arguements are always on thread that I have started!:)

#72 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:59 PM

I know, I helped him become an agent. He's helped me with my posts, too. I'm so proud of him. He's come a long way since his first postings.

#73 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:00 PM

Even though we argue like cats and dogs.

#74 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

Both of your posting rates are insane! :). I've been here since December and just now made my 600th post, while BP's been here for just a little over a week and has nearly made half that many.

#75 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:01 PM

A long way? In a week? Hell, I ahven't evern got onto the seond page of the post list to catch up on the news, you and BP are posting all the time, its starting to get annoying:o

#76 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:02 PM

Well, I'm getting off here in a bit so you all can breathe a big sigh of relief. I know I will.

#77 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:02 PM

It's all thanks to my good friend Irishcrown.

#78 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:04 PM

Just to get back on topic, I'm hungry, I'm getting something to eat, and I will submit that The Living Daylights is better because the music's better than License To Kill's.

#79 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:14 PM

What about the superb acting, great plot and mesmerising locations?

#80 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:00 PM

The plot is very convoluted and the locations were okay, way better than License To Kill.

#81 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:05 PM

The plot was complicated and covoluted, yes, but I personally have no problems with that. I think an intricate and clever plot adds considerable artistic depth to a film - a simple plot is easy to build the other elements of a film around, but a complicated plot isn't and requires much more skill to include the elements of Bond films in.

#82 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:08 PM

At least we're agreed on the plot, let me write that one down on my list. Yes, I am keeping score.

#83 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:10 PM

You see, me and you mostly agree on the nature of things, IC, but we disgree on whether such a nature is good or not. We both think the plot is convoluted but you think that is a bad thing and I think it is a good thing.

#84 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:12 PM

"You see, me and you mostly agree on the nature of things, IC"

I wanted to put that one up for administrators to see so they wouldn't think we totally hate each other's guts. Wait, that's not true, I don't hate your guts. Now, I don't know what you think of me...

#85 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:13 PM

Lol. I don't hate you - just your opinions!!

#86 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:14 PM

A budding friendship may be in the pipeline here?

Mine is TLD i prefer that to LTK

#87 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:14 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if I was going to find a nasty surprise outside my door one day. Ya never know!

#88 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:17 PM

If you're american, why is your user name Irishcrown?

#89 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:18 PM

Gosh, that's kind of a personal question, Bondpurist, I don't know if this is the right forum to be answering that one.

#90 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 02:20 PM

Fair enough. I'll just assume that you're related to an Irish king then! Back on topic, don't you think LTK suited Dalton better than TLD, thus giving it a slight edge?