155 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 08:08 PM

Pretty self-explanitroy title. I like LTK, but it was'nt the best of Bond films, not when you compare it to the likes of TSWLM,GF and TWINE. Out of the two, I prefer TLD. Its got great action sequences, a nice car, a beautiful lady and a dash of humour. However, the main villian(Koskov)does'nt match up to other standards set.

#2 D-Murda

D-Murda

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 09:05 PM

Both movies are obviously great but The Living Daylights beats License To Kill. I love action in James Bond movies but the one in License To Kill were a little bit too gruesome for me.

#3 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 09:51 PM

I think TLD stands out better than LTK because of the storyline - part of which was based on Fleming's short story.
The action sequences in TLD are wonderful and Dalton's brings back the gritty and dangerous 007 - Fleming Style!

I love watching LTK because its a powerful tale of revenge but it doesn't have the "feel" of the other Bond films. Some parts of the film feel like a cheap 80's cop show, but otherwise most of it is great.
Dalton seems suited to this script and its a shame he didn't do more 007 films.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 04:08 AM

To me they're both equal. Bothersome for comparisons like this thread, but a nice legacy for Dalton to have made two good films. I really do not see any 'non-Bond' moments in [lkt], which seems the main complaint about it. As for The Living Daylights, I cannot say Koskov/Whittaker are weak villains. So he eats lobster? SO??!?! Stromberg ate salad.
Besides Whittaker; Koskov is very interesting, far from being the absolutely evil villain embodied by Blofeld et al, he has a fascinating story of double crossing and feigning friendliness to Bond right up to the end.
And Necros just happens to be a henchman so good that he gets to swim with Whittaker's girls. He's got an interesting 'thing' going with the Walkman, too.

#5 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 05:23 AM

License to Kill, in my opinion, is by far the stronger of the two films. I feel LTK is vastly underrated and is one of the most solidly written Bond films of all. If I had to choose one of the Dalton's over the other, it would be LTK.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 11 May 2002 - 05:16 PM

I too would choose LTK over TLD.

#7 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 09:52 PM

I have to admit, I prefer The Living Daylights. After all, my e-mail address is named after something that appears in it (hint - "Death To Spies", backwards), i have used various passwords from names used in the film, my aol screen name is the title (without 'the'). Licens©e To Kill, although is a good film i prefer TLD. Sorry LTK fans.

#8 MLW

MLW

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 05:51 PM

TLD is great, I like it more every time I see it, but LTK is in my top three BEST BONDS. The way it explores the cynical, darker side of Bond's character is fantastic. Dalton is amazing. The scene where he first goes in to see Sanchez is incredible because Dalton doesn't play it as Bond the Invincible, but he shades the performance with just the right amount of fear. He knows Sanchez is totally ruthless and that he could kill him at any moment (Sanchez even says at much) but Bond bets on his assessment of Sanchez's character wich is a man who respects BALLS - and Bond displays that by insulting a Sanchez henchman. This could have gotten him killed instantly, but there's the chance that it will endear him in a way to Sanchez. So Bond takes the risk and SUCCEEDS. Even when he leaves he knows that Sanchez could shoot him in the back - but he gets out - and now the set-up is complete. I'd pay a hundred bucks to see Dalton play Bond one more time! (on side note: I can't stand Brosnan - he is the WORST BOND ever. He was probably the most-hyped actor to ever take the role considering the Remington Steele debacle and I think he has failed miserably. He lacks Connery's gritty intensity, Lazenby's roguish charm, Moore's cool sauveness, and Dalton's acting chops. He's Bond lite. Nothing about his performance makes the character his own. It's like "I'm playing the world's greatest pop-icon James Bond!" rather than "I AM James Bond". I know I'll catch flack for this but his movies, too, are weak. Even with all it's problems I consider NSNA more entertaining than GE, TND, or TWINE.) Well, that's my gripe, but LTK, though flawed (weak, drawn-out teaser) displayed the intensity of the Bond character in a way that all of TND and TWINE'S angst and emoting never could. LTK is great!

#9 Mouse

Mouse

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 11:36 AM

LTK!!!! In my opinion, its the best of the series so I would say that one.

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 05:44 PM

The Living Daylights

"Not fond" of Licence to Kill for reasons that'll take longer to list than listing reasons in its favour, which are

in that order.

#11 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 03:49 AM

they're both great, but The Living Daylights is in my top three of all the Bonds...Licence to Kill is vastly underrated....

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 03:55 AM

Dr Kaufmann (11 May, 2002 10:52 p.m.):
Licens©e To Kill, although is a good film i prefer TLD. Sorry LTK fans.

Huh? Licens©e? Did Eon only copyright up to the 's'...but there is no 's'. ???

#13 Boris

Boris

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 05:16 AM

Um TLD is better I think, dalton is younger, although I like LTK I feel TLD is better!

#14 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 11:31 AM

Licence To Kill in my opinion, the film played more to Dalton's strengths, and was written for him. Living Daylights was good but was written with Moore in mind.
LTK was a return to the Fleming character, which Dalton played faithfully. Pity we never got the 3rd film of his contract!

#15 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 10:38 PM

I think that "Licence To Kill" is a bit better on some levels (acting, characters, plot) and "The Living Daylights" is better on some other levels (humor, locations, gadgets).

The plot for "The Living Daylights" is strange: Koskov is snatched from the KGB by M.I.6 and then Koskov fakes his re-capture by Soviets to join Whittaker in Tangiers because they are trading diamonds for raw opium to sell in the United States BUT there is also a large purchase of high tech weapons being sold to the Soviet Union in the mix. None of the villains so much as intimidate me. The leading/only girl is in over her head. "Down"...yeah, that lever will land the plane.

The problems I have with "Licence To Kill" can be found in the thread about the film's merits. By the way, Dalton, for the small faults I had with him, was refreshing. "A View To A Kill" was singularly disappointing, so I was up for "The Living Daylights".

-Joe

#16 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 11:48 PM

For all of Living Daylights action and humor, I think Dalton seems very out of place in it. Dalton looks awkward joking about. Only when Bond turns serious does he shine in The Living Daylights For that very reason I am gonna pick Licence To Kill as the better film. Its better scripted, acted, and Dalton is at his best. Shame it was his last.

#17 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 10:39 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov

Huh? Licens©e? Did Eon only copyright up to the 's'...but there is no 's'. ???

LOL, no, the © doesn't refer to copyright in this case, it refers to the two different spellings of the word

English: "Licence"
US English: "License"

#18 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 06:57 PM

Hmmm, that is a tough choice. That is like asking which I'd rather have: a savage beating with a carpetbeater to the testicles, or getting my finger broken by Tee-Hee. Hmm, I'll have to get back to you on that.

#19 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 05:51 AM

Hello! I am new here. I am pleased to make your acquaintances.

I am a life long Bond fan.

Having said that, I LOVE THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS. It is the last Bond film that really captured my imagination and completely maintained that classic Bond feeling. It is classy production. My number three favorite. Behind FRWL and OHMSS. It is a lush travelogue. It has gorgeous John Barry music. It is romantic but not cheesey or forced. Dalton is terrific. Dalton is tough but still charming. I cannot speak more highly of this film. LTK, while a still a good film, ranks elsewhere on list. Behind a few Roger Moore films actually.

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 09:32 AM

Funny how Bond fans seem to like "The Living Daylights" OR "Licence to Kill" but rarely both.
I'm definitely an LTK man, certainly one of the best Bond films ever for me. I also think it's the most maligned of all the Bonds. Some hardcore 007 fans I used to know, including some professional film journalists, had an almost psychopathic hatred of the film, thinking it was a total desecration of the character of Bond and his world, that it tried to be too gory, too American, etc. I agree that it's very radical for a Bond film (for reasons we're all aware of), and that's what I love about it.
It stands apart from all the other films of the series, even more of a "one-off" than OHMSS. It's probably the Bond film I watch most, and the only one where I have to keep reminding myself that I'm watching a James Bond movie, which may sound like a negative criticism but isn't intended as such.

#21 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 10:56 AM

Ive got no problems with Licence to Kill, but i much prefer The Living Daylights. I really enjoy both films though. Dalton plays a great Bond, its just a shame he never made just one more.

#22 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 04:59 PM

They're both damn good

#23 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 10:32 PM

I think they're both two of the best.

However, having to pick one that's better, then I have to say the Living Daylights. In fact, I think it's my favorite of the whole series.

#24 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 06:19 AM

TLD without a doubt. It just feels more Bond than LTK.

#25 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 07:38 AM

I think you'll find people who read Fleming's novels will hold LTK much higher than people who don't. TLD isn't more Bond than LTK. In fact, theres a whole bunch of scenes in LTK that come from Fleming's other novels, only the intro of TLD is based on anything remotely fleming, while LTK is VERY much a remake of Fleming's novel Live and Let Die.

#26 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 12:08 PM

I really can't say which of them is better. I love them both. They are two of the best ever made 007 films. :)

#27 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 07:13 PM

Here, here! My thoughts exactly Tim!

#28 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:14 PM

Which one is better is like asking Mr. Bond himself which form of torture he would prefer repeating...the broken finger or the carpetbeater. Hmm, let me think....

#29 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:06 PM

They are both gritty, realistic, Bondian films. As opposed to Mr Irish crown's comments, it's like choosing which of the Bond girls to sleep with, Honey Ryder (Or Honeychile Rider depending on whether you follow the film or the book) or Domino Derval.

#30 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 03:09 PM

Ursulla Andress or Domino.....damn it, that is a tough one. Why did you have to ask such a tough one!? Can I have em both?