210 replies to this topic

#121 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Don't get me wrong -- I've enjoyed Cruise in his movies lately, and he's amazing in his ability to look good, youthful, energetic, do the stunts, etc.  Still -- these franchise movies these days don't come out every year or every other year.  At, say, one every 3, Tom's going to hit 60 for the third one...chances are, too, that he might "hit the wall" between now and then, lookswise, no ?  Also -- what would the producers do -- find another guy who's Cruise's contemporary who somehow looks that great, too ?

How many are there ?  Pitt ?  Clooney ?  Clooney was attached to it, but I've read he suffered an injury or surgery that would keep him from as physical a role.

So  - Tom Cruise with some younger guy ?  Um, no.  That would just accentuate the differences.

Again, on balance -- two younger guys.  Really.

And, yeah, I read the online article that Cruise is in talks for it.  Seems very short-sighted by the studio...

#122 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

Perhaps Cruise will play Solo, the leader of the team, who will then be revealed to be the turncoat, get killed, and the franchise will be turned over to a young Illya...

in

"The Deja Vu Affair."

#123 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

The point is the studio obviously has no confidence an U.N.C.L.E film could succeed without a big name, both on and off screen. The natural thing to do would be to reach out for someone like Ryan Gosling, who's much less famous but a coming star nonetheless. Only I'm afraid the young talents mostly won't be interested in restarting an obscure TV series from fifty years ago. Ritchie might attract more young guns, but how is that going to be a help if Warner wants Cruise?

#124 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

U.N.C.L.E. gets a new Illya.

EXCLUSIVEArmie Hammer, who plays the title character opposite Johnny Depp in the Gore Verbinski-directed The Lone Ranger for Disney, is set to star with Tom Cruise in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., the remake of the classic TVseries that Guy Ritchie will direct for Warner Bros. The original TV series ran from 1964-68, with Robert Vaughan and David McCallum playing Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin, two agents of the United Network Command for Law Enforcement. With gadgets and their wits and charm, they fought the evil forces of Thrush.

#125 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Some UNCLE history and the ups and downs it has had (is having?) with height of its actors:

http://hmssweblog.wo...t-and-the-tall/

Neither of the originals was especially tall. If you have Cruise and Hammer, you're talking about pairing up a 5-foot-7 star with a 6-foot-5 one, which would be a bit of a departure.

#126 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

More casting discussions include Vinnie Jones.

http://www.express.c...-for-more-macho

He would make for a pretty awesome villain.

#127 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

A new Girl from UNCLE?

The adaptation of the 1960's spy series The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is finally picking up steam again. The project looked as though it was going to completely fall apart when director Steven Soderbergh decided he was no longer interested in helming, but now Guy Ritchie is attached to direct, both Tom Cruise and Armie Hammer are set to star, and, according to The Hollywood Reporter, the project has found its female lead. 

Swedish actress Alicia Vikander, who has recently landed roles in high-profile films like the young adult adaptation The Seventh Son and the Julian Assange biopic The Fifth Estate, is now in negotiations to play " a British agent who has a thing for cars." The trade says that she is a brand new character that was featured on neither the 60s series nor the spin-off The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. Cruise and Hammer will be playing the lead roles of Napoelon Solo and Illya Kuryakin, agents for the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement (also known as U.N.C.L.E.). Unfortunately there's no information regarding when the movie is planning to start production.

From Cinemablend.

#128 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hopefully that doesn't diminish her chances of becoming a Bond girl one day. Great actress.

#129 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hopefully that doesn't diminish her chances of becoming a Bond girl one day. Great actress.

Probably not. A lot of Bond actors appeared on the UNCLE series first. Luciana Paluzzi was a Thrush agent before she signed on with S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

#130 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Probably not. A lot of Bond actors appeared on the UNCLE series first. Luciana Paluzzi was a Thrush agent before she signed on with S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

Not to mention Telly Savalas, Curt Jurgens, Richard Kiel, Teru Shimada. I also suspect Harold Jack Bloom got the first chance to write You Only Live Twice because he had an UNCLE episode (not to mention an Academy Award nomination) on his resume....

#131 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Tom Cruise Exits 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.'

http://www.deadline....from-u-n-c-l-e/

#132 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Can't say I'm sorry, since I didn't think he was the best person for it, but the fact that this project has hit yet another big bump . . . sigh.

#133 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

The Curse of the Man from U.N.C.L.E - sounds like a title...

No, I too think Cruise wasn't the best choice for this. Probably for the best.

#134 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

I still see Ryan Gosling as the perfect Solo.

#135 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Could be Gosling's chance now. Always assuming he's interested.

#136 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

Shame about Cruise leaving the project.  That leaves me with about zero interest in The Man From U.N.C.L.E, although hopefully with some of his time freed up maybe there can be some movement on a sequel to Jack Reacher.

#137 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

The Curse of the Man from U.N.C.L.E - sounds like a title...

No, I too think Cruise wasn't the best choice for this. Probably for the best.

Or The Man From U.N.C.L.E. curse:http://hmssweblog.wo...-n-c-l-e-curse/

#138 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Sensible decision, IMO, since doing U.N.C.L.E. and then another Mission Impossible would not have worked.

#139 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think it was a good decision.

Maybe they'll try and bring in George Clooney. wasn't he the first choice of the studio? 

#140 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Rumour is Clooney won't do action any more, something to do with his back and an injury during shooting of one of his last physically demanding roles. Could have been SYRIANA. And Clooney would be too old for Solo now. 15 years ago would have been his time. I doubt the studio will greenlight this if they haven't a definite chance for a follow-up and a franchise perspective. For that you'd have to plan something like eight or ten years ahead.

#141 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Fassbinder for Solo, Goslyn for Ilya...

#142 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

Fassbinder for Solo, Goslyn for Ilya...

Totally agree
Cruise is right to focus on M:I and Reacher. He does need solo.

#143 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Clooney is only two years older than Cruise, so the "too old" aspect may not be that big a deal--though Cruise does tend to come across as younger than he is. Even so, the casting of Hammer makes me wonder if they're going for an older-younger dynamic rather than two peers, with Solo the more seasoned agent and Hammer as more of an up-and-comer.

#144 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Clooney is only two years older than Cruise, so the "too old" aspect may not be that big a deal--though Cruise does tend to come across as younger than he is. Even so, the casting of Hammer makes me wonder if they're going for an older-younger dynamic rather than two peers, with Solo the more seasoned agent and Hammer as more of an up-and-comer.

Then why bother calling it U.N.C.L.E ?

Clooney is IMO (and probably his) way too old for the role, as is Mr Cruise. For me he has now finally made that transition from an actor who comes across as younger, to an actor who comes across as trying to be younger. Nic Cage is there with him and hopefully they'll now both stop playing younger, as they're not without talent and would be far more interesting if they'd played their age.

Richie needs 2 younger leads that the franchise can grow with, if successful. His Holmes franchise hasn't the same problem, since the character can indeed age without having to deny it. On the other hand Downey has said he's not got too many Iron Man performances left in him - Iron Man is the best yet, and yet it sounds like it'll be Downey's last time playing the part in an Iron Man movie and stick to just the Avengers ensemble, in which he where the suit a shorter amount of time (and i bet he'll only be in more of those, since once they replace Downey in the Iron Man franchise, they'll also replace him in The Avengers franchise.

So, pick'em young if you want to continue the franchise - if you don't then why make an obvious franchise movie. The first Solo and Ilya will need at least 3 movies before the actors can change without sinking the franchise, IMHO.

#145 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Richie needs 2 younger leads that the franchise can grow with, if successful. His Holmes franchise hasn't the same problem, since the character can indeed age without having to deny it. On the other hand Downey has said he's not got too many Iron Man performances left in him - Iron Man is the best yet, and yet it sounds like it'll be Downey's last time playing the part in an Iron Man movie and stick to just the Avengers ensemble, in which he where the suit a shorter amount of time (and i bet he'll only be in more of those, since once they replace Downey in the Iron Man franchise, they'll also replace him in The Avengers franchise.

So, pick'em young if you want to continue the franchise - if you don't then why make an obvious franchise movie. The first Solo and Ilya will need at least 3 movies before the actors can change without sinking the franchise, IMHO.

I mostly agree, only I fail to see what kind of strain there is involved for Downey with the Iron Man films. Aren't practically all of the 'suit'-scenes CGI from start to finish? Is there really substantial physical action for Downey involved with IM? I should have thought he could play that character for at least another three to five films. Or is the Nick-and-Nora screwball comedy with Paltrow the more demanding part there? 

#146 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I mostly agree, only I fail to see what kind of strain there is involved for Downey with the Iron Man films. Aren't practically all of the 'suit'-scenes CGI from start to finish? Is there really substantial physical action for Downey involved with IM? I should have thought he could play that character for at least another three to five films. Or is the Nick-and-Nora screwball comedy with Paltrow the more demanding part there? 

Lol, that may well be the case - after managing to act infatuated with her for 3 movies the deserves a lifetime achievement award!

TBH, i'm not sure how much is CGI, but i recall Paltrow recently talking about being in the suit this time round, so i think there is indeed an element of wearing it. But Downey's a very talented guy and i'm sure he's tiring of the role - at first a novel challenge, but perhaps he's done all he can with it in the 3rd movie, which was superb, thanks to Shane Black - one of the best action screenwriters (even screenwriters period) there's been.

The rumour that Downey was had almost had enough apparently started with Downey, but who knows! I can't blame him for wanting to spend such a considerable amount of his working year taking on new challenges instead (he'd make a damned fine Bond villain).

#147 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

From Variety:

With the news coming out that Tom Cruise had fallen off “Man From U.N.C.L.E,” Warner Bros. has acted fast to find his replacement having entered talks with Henry Cavill to star.

SEE ALSO: New “Man of Steel” Trailer

He would co-star with Armie Hammer and Alicia Vikander with Guy Ritchie helming.

The film is an adaptation of the 1960s TV series which followed two agents of the United Network Command for Law Enforcement as they fought the evil agents of Thrush.

Ritchie will also produce along with producing partner Lionel Wigram. John Davis is also producing.

The interesting part about this casting is that Cavill actually met for the Hammer role when Cruise had already been negotiations for the lead. The studio obviously has a great relationship with him having worked with him on “Man of Steel” and had also been looking at him for a co-starring role opposite Chris Hemsworth in “In the Heart of the Sea.”

This is a very positive sign for a film that has been looking long and hard for its leading man going all the way back when George Clooney was attached to star and Steven Soderbergh was attached to direct. After they both left the project, Warners approached several actors to star including Johnny Depp, Channing Tatum, Ben Affleck and Bradley Coooper but in each of the cases they either passed or could not make their dates work.

With Cavill’s schedule wide open having not set up his next film, its a good sign that the studio may have finally found their man. Production is set to start this fall.

#148 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I've never seen Cavill be remotely charming, but apparently his Bond screen test was good, so I'm for it.

#149 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

I've never seen Cavill be remotely charming, but apparently his Bond screen test was good, so I'm for it.

I've never seen him in anything but "Immortals," and I'm not sure that gives any impression of what he'd by like in anything else.  But I'm willing to believe that with the right director he can turn in a good performance.  I like the idea of him as Solo.  I'm not sold on Armie Hammer, but the two of them can hopefully catch some lightning in a bottle for Guy Ritchie if this comes to fruition.  I think Ritchie's a good choice for this, depending on the script's take.  I definitely prefer Cavill to Cruise (not that I am anti-Cruise by any means).  At least he fits the age better and the height differential between the two lead actors won't be so startling.

My only sadness is that it pretty firmly removes him from the possibility of playing Bond at some future point.  I always thought he nailed the classic dark Bond persona pretty well.

#150 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

If Warners is determined to do this, they could do a lot worse than Cavill as Solo. At this point, I'd just as soon see it (if only to avoid the multi-decade soap opera continue). Also, and this is strictly coincidental, Cavill is the same age (30) that Robert Vaughn was when he was cast. Vaughn turned 31 during the filming of the pilot episode. It wasn't a very happy birthday; it was the same day as the JFK assassination.