186 replies to this topic

#121 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

Very interesting if true (big IF, given the date and the unknown source), but I'm on board with an idea like that.

Genetic engineering and swine flu, eh? Perhaps they found someone's abandoned research facility at Piz Gloria.

#122 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

Anyone remember when Bond films used to be fun? When did they get completely taken over by the north London intelligentsia?

Well define "fun".

The opposite of QUANTUM OF SOLACE. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH wasn't all that much fun, either (although it's MOONRAKER compared to QUANTUM), and that also tried to be all serious.

I'm glad that they're finally trying to make great films. ...
I don't have a problem with the Bond franchise associating itself with such serious filmmakers....

But the problem is that this greatness and seriousness are undercut by the standard, "audience-pleasing" Bond elements that pop up every five minutes (yes, even without Moneypenny and Q). Every time QUANTUM OF SOLACE threatened to come to life as an interesting, character-driven Marc Forster film, it tended to cut away to a chase or a shootout that was shoehorned in because it was considered "Bondian". As a result, QUANTUM fell between the two stools of an auteur effort and a 007 adventure.

#123 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

QOS worked well enough for some of us. B)

#124 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

QOS worked well enough for some of us. B)

Me for one

#125 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

According to a close friend of Rachel there already exists a first draft for the upcoming Bond adventure. The working title is "The Property of a Lady" - just like "Quantum of Solace" the title of a short story by Bond creator Ian Fleming. But unlike QOS, some elements of the original story are used for the screenplay - among other things the name Maria Freudenstein for the villainous role, and the auction (Fleming wrote the story for Sotherby's magazine The Ivory Hammer) This auction will be seen in the pre-title sequence. It is a clandestine international auction that takes place during a conference in the United Nations headquarter in New York - a sequence similar to the opera scene in "Quantum of Solace".

"They turn the usual Bond story upside down", said the friend. "Typically 007 chases a megalomaniac and restrains him from taking over world domination in the end. This time Bond has to learn just in the beginning that Quantum already has world domination." That also defines the title: The property of this lady is the whole world. And of course Quantum does it's best to go to war against Bond and the MI6, with disturbing means. "They really shock the audience this time", he smirked. Remember that this film will be the swan song for Judi Dench's M. One of the screenplay's topics is supposed to be genetic engineering and the swine flu.

Whilst I'd be surprised if this was true (and the idea of a friend of Rachel Weisz leaking the plot seems incredibly unlikely) I do like the basic concept of the story suggested here, with the exception of the idea of genetically-engineered swine flu.

#126 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

Anyone remember when Bond films used to be fun? When did they get completely taken over by the north London intelligentsia?

Well define "fun".

The opposite of QUANTUM OF SOLACE. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH wasn't all that much fun, either (although it's MOONRAKER compared to QUANTUM), and that also tried to be all serious.

I don't understand, did you want QOS to be a wisecracking TMWTGG style romparoo? I don't want them all to be dark, grim affairs, but for QOS it was the most appropriate approach. At least QOS sticks to its guns and doesn't try to shoehorn comedy and hi-jinks in where they aren't wanted; last time EON tried to do a personal revenge film, they had Bond tortured in a North Korean prison and then an hour later had him racing his invisible car around a melting ice castle to take down an albino diamond-scarred villain.

#127 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

Well define "fun".

I don't understand, did you want QOS to be a wisecracking TMWTGG style romparoo? I don't want them all to be dark, grim affairs, but for QOS it was the most appropriate approach. At least QOS sticks to its guns and doesn't try to shoehorn comedy and hi-jinks in where they aren't wanted; last time EON tried to do a personal revenge film, they had Bond tortured in a North Korean prison and then an hour later had him racing his invisible car around a melting ice castle to take down an albino diamond-scarred villain.

Before that: Bond in a wheelie-poppin' semi. Yeah, I'll stick with QOS, thanks. B)

#128 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

That does sound interesting, but since it broke on April 1st, I still think it was a joke.

#129 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

Well define "fun".

I don't understand, did you want QOS to be a wisecracking TMWTGG style romparoo?

No need to throw the baby out the bathwater. FRWL, DN, OHMSS, TB, GF, TLD, OP and LTK are all perfectly fun, yet relatively serious and compelling affairs.

Why does someone always assume, just because one doesn't care for the heavy handedness and dreariness of QoS and TWINE, then they automatically want your average Moore-era romp or Brosnan techno-fetish-innuendo-fest for Bond 23?

#130 dunmall

dunmall

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

a follow up on the Rachel Weisz story, not sure whether this has been posted yet:

http://rachel-weisz-...y.html#comments

According to a close friend of Rachel there already exists a first draft for the upcoming Bond adventure. The working title is "The Property of a Lady" - just like "Quantum of Solace" the title of a short story by Bond creator Ian Fleming. But unlike QOS, some elements of the original story are used for the screenplay - among other things the name Maria Freudenstein for the villainous role, and the auction (Fleming wrote the story for Sotherby's magazine The Ivory Hammer) This auction will be seen in the pre-title sequence. It is a clandestine international auction that takes place during a conference in the United Nations headquarter in New York - a sequence similar to the opera scene in "Quantum of Solace".

"They turn the usual Bond story upside down", said the friend. "Typically 007 chases a megalomaniac and restrains him from taking over world domination in the end. This time Bond has to learn just in the beginning that Quantum already has world domination." That also defines the title: The property of this lady is the whole world. And of course Quantum does it's best to go to war against Bond and the MI6, with disturbing means. "They really shock the audience this time", he smirked. Remember that this film will be the swan song for Judi Dench's M. One of the screenplay's topics is supposed to be genetic engineering and the swine flu.

I feel certain that this role will assure Rachel a place in Hollywood's A league!

I have to admit IF this is true it sounds like it could be an interesting film...that being said Danny Beirdman (auther of the Incredible World Of Spy-Fi) wrote a script for an aborted Man From UNCLE movie in the late 70's early 80's. The plot of the film? Solo and Kurayakin discovered in the first act that their arch enemies THRUSH had secretly taken control of the entire world through behind the scenes political and buisness moves...

#131 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

I would be thrilled if this rumor were true. The Property Of A Lady is one Fleming story I've always wanted to see as a film.

#132 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:55 AM

That blog is gone now.

#133 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:20 AM

That blog is gone now.

Yes. Very strange. Anyway, it is easy to find out if this rumor was true or not. Someone in the UK should call EON and ask if there is a Lilly Cullen working there.
EONs phone number: (0)20 7493 7953

Did an internet search and didn't find anything (the name "Cullen" inevitably leads to Twilight fan fiction <shudder>).

Anyway, how can anyone from EON ask to take that post down with the threat of legal action? No copyrighted or stolen material was posted, it was only an extremely vague description of part of a story. Something about it is bogus. Maybe the blogger posted a fake threat from EON to make the story seem more legit.

No need to throw the baby out the bathwater. FRWL, DN, OHMSS, TB, GF, TLD, OP and LTK are all perfectly fun, yet relatively serious and compelling affairs.

Why does someone always assume, just because one doesn't care for the heavy handedness and dreariness of QoS and TWINE, then they automatically want your average Moore-era romp or Brosnan techno-fetish-innuendo-fest for Bond 23?

Well I wasn't assuming that, Loomis was talking about "the opposite of Quantum of Solace", which in my estimation would be something resembling TMWTGG. Personally I welcome the fun/serious Bond film, but done the right way, i.e. not the Frankenstein-like DAD.

#134 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:54 AM

That blog is gone now.

Yes. Very strange. Anyway, it is easy to find out if this rumor was true or not. Someone in the UK should call EON and ask if there is a Lilly Cullen working there.
EONs phone number: (0)20 7493 7953

Did an internet search and didn't find anything (the name "Cullen" inevitably leads to Twilight fan fiction <shudder>).

Anyway, how can anyone from EON ask to take that post down with the threat of legal action? No copyrighted or stolen material was posted, it was only an extremely vague description of part of a story. Something about it is bogus. Maybe the blogger posted a fake threat from EON to make the story seem more legit.

If bogus, that's an awful lot of trouble and misdirection and, well, effort. Seems as unlikely as the rumor being true, not sure what to make it all (but like believing in it B) ).

Well I wasn't assuming that, Loomis was talking about "the opposite of Quantum of Solace", which in my estimation would be something resembling TMWTGG. Personally I welcome the fun/serious Bond film, but done the right way, i.e. not the Frankenstein-like DAD.

I appreciated the ubiquitously serious tone of QOS, really the most like what Fleming wrote of all the Bond films IMO ("I think he was on his way to a funeral" and other cheesy comedic moments in DN for example have no Fleming equivalent that I can think of, the man just didn't write humor like that in his thrillers, or at all IMO). QOS had a couple one-liners of its own, but they came off dryer than Bond's martini.

#135 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:58 AM

The Rachel Weisz story is interesting, although the site's disappearance and anonymous source make me wonder if this wasn't an April Fool's prank. I can't even find a cached version of that site.

#136 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

I;'d be quite happy if this turned out to be true why you ask well lets break it down as this rumour has at least 4 cool things

1. an interesting plot that has bond on his own trying to figure everything out which is cool

2. A great use of an unused Fleming character (Purvis and Wade do like to use Fleming characters so this may be true)

3. Great title I'd be quite happy with bond 23 being the property of a lady

4. great location I want bond to return to New York.

I want this to be true!

#137 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:13 AM

I thought Al Pacino was the elusive head of Quantum...

no, that is Gulshan Glover

You never know, it might turn out to be Sir Anthony Hopkins - couldn't resist throwing in his name one more time!

Seriously, I think it is time for Bond to take on more of a father figure type adversary (heaven knows he's been answerable all these years to someone who, as he says in QoS, "thinks she's his mother"). We'll be better able to judge once we've heard him in full, but a prime candidate may be on the radio later today, playing the title role in Goldfinger.

#138 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

The fact that the only Lilly Cullen found online writes rubbish TWILIGHT fan fiction says enough to me on this one...

#139 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

The fact that the only Lilly Cullen found online writes rubbish TWILIGHT fan fiction says enough to me on this one...

But until u can offer proof that it is false some will believe.

as for me I'm just hope full it is true as it would be everything i would want and more.

#140 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

The Rachel Weisz story is interesting, although the site's disappearance and anonymous source make me wonder if this wasn't an April Fool's prank. I can't even find a cached version of that site.

Yes, there is...its been found - not by me, so I won´t post it.

#141 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

But until u can offer proof that it is false some will believe.

as for me I'm just hope full it is true as it would be everything i would want and more.

But why pin "believe" on every story generated? It is only a film. And there are other films out there too that can keep all of us entertained until or when or if another James Bond film is made.

#142 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

http://74.125.93.132...Z...=clnk&gl=us

Here is the cached version.

actually shouldn't this be it's own thread considering there is much more to talk about then just Rachel Weisz... I'm gonna create a separate thread and if mods feel it's to similar then we can combine them.

#143 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

http://www.dailymail...s-together.html

"Kate Winslet has maintained a dignified silence since her split from film director Sam Mendes.

But privately the 34-year-old actress is said to be seething that her estranged husband is back in touch with his ex- girlfriend Rachel Weisz.

Sam, 44, has been widely tipped to direct the new James Bond movie and, according to industry sources, is determined to cast Rachel, 40, as one of the villains.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kate Winslet is said to be furious that her estranged husband Sam Mendes is in touch with his ex Rachel Weisz, right

'As soon as Kate and Sam split, he was on the phone asking Rachel if she was interested in doing the movie,' says my source.

'Rachel has always been persona non grata in the Winslet-Mendes household, and Kate went ballistic when she heard that Sam wanted to hire her.

'Sam has wanted to work with Rachel for ages, but Kate would not allow it."

- Could it be that Sam is doing this to get back at Kate?

#144 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

"Kate Winslet has maintained a dignified silence since her split from film director Sam Mendes.

But privately the 34-year-old actress is said to be seething that her estranged husband is back in touch with his ex- girlfriend Rachel Weisz.

Sam, 44, has been widely tipped to direct the new James Bond movie and, according to industry sources, is determined to cast Rachel, 40, as one of the villains.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kate Winslet is said to be furious that her estranged husband Sam Mendes is in touch with his ex Rachel Weisz, right

'As soon as Kate and Sam split, he was on the phone asking Rachel if she was interested in doing the movie,' says my source.

'Rachel has always been persona non grata in the Winslet-Mendes household, and Kate went ballistic when she heard that Sam wanted to hire her.

Perhaps Sam wanted Kate to be in bond 23 first but she said no caused the breakup of their marriage and so he asked Rachel Next.

#145 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Are we really serious that anyone would even want or try to link a fabricated rumour against stories that are no-one's business and vastly out of sync with any reality?

#146 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Perhaps Sam wanted Kate to be in bond 23 first but she said no caused the breakup of their marriage and so he asked Rachel Next.

Honestly it wouldn't be the first man to piss of an ex by going 'back' to a previous flame. And to cast her in B23 would be a really huge slap in the face for Kate.
The only problem with this is I'd rather a person be cast for a role on acting merit rather than his conflicts and vendettas with Kate.
Could his personal problems affect Sam as a director or will he even be hired?

Have to add that Rachel would be great as a villain but in getting the role it should be based on true merit rather than getting a legover with the director.

Are we really serious that anyone would even want or try to link a fabricated rumour against stories that are no-one's business and vastly out of sync with any reality?

Zorin, we are only discussing it. Just because we are doing so does not mean it will happen.
Allow us the right to ponder. B)

#147 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

Is this what CBN forums have been reduced to...? People hooking non-stories onto hooks that don't exist?

And can we please leave out the relationship psychology musings...? It is ridiculous bordering on the insane... with a large measure of comedy thrown it to boot.

"Oh yes - because it was printed on April Fool's Day by a dubious source and then removed must mean it is true (or possibly true) and that the director who is not even the official director yet of a film that may not be greenlit for months (if at all) wants the film to be like this so he can get back at his soon to be ex-wife as the press said they don't get on".... (!!!!!)

Zorin, we are only discussing it. Just because we are doing so does not mean it will happen.
Allow us the right to ponder. B)

Ponder away...

#148 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

Is this what CBN forums have been reduced to...? People hooking non-stories onto hooks that don't exist?

And can we please leave out the relationship psychology musings...? It is ridiculous bordering on the insane... with a measure of comed thrown it to boot.

Zorin, these are forums which means we can discuss what we like. If it isn't to your liking then don't read them. B)
Really let's not turn this into a big deal.
How do you know that the dynamics of Sam's private life won't affect things.
It has been discussed before on here so I'm not the first to address the subject. :)
Keep calm and carry on. :tdown:

Allow us the right to ponder. :tdown:

Ponder away...

Thanks for your permission.

#149 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

And can we please leave out the relationship psychology musings...? It is ridiculous bordering on the insane... with a measure of comed thrown it to boot.

Zorin, these are forums which means we can discuss what we like. If it isn't to your liking then don't read them. B)

I won't and hope I haven't.

#150 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

I won't and hope I haven't.

I wish a few others on here were like you Zorin. :tdown: