1332 replies to this topic

#241 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:24 AM

Been making my way slowly through The Shield. Trying to watch the whole series, and I'm on the second to last episode of season 1.

Oh man, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

The Shield is television's greatest achievement of the last 10 years. The only show that has managed to sustain its high quality and story arc over seven seasons.

#242 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:37 AM

Watched the season 2 premiere of LEVERAGE tonight. Still a brilliant show, and Timothy Hutton is fantastic as the lead. Can't wait for more new episodes.

Currently watching TNT's DARK BLUE, a new police drama staring Dylan McDermott (sp?). Pretty good so far, but not as entertaining as LEVERAGE.

#243 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:31 AM

I've been ploughing my way through past seasons of NCIS over the past few months, four of them to be exact. For anyone who doesn't know, it's a show similar to CSI but set in Washington D.C and focusing on crimes related to military and naval personnel. It also packs more humour than the CSI's at the expense of some of the more complicated forensics. Well recommended.

I really fancy a good cop drama soon though. I've never seen The Shield or The Wire and I've been wondering which one to go for.

#244 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

First Take

#245 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

I'm halfway through the final (NOOO!) season of Battlestar Galactica. No matter how nerdy it sounds, I'm probably going to shed a tear when it's over, since I am sure there will never be a TV-series (or movie, for that matter) I will like as much as this one (the only one that's come remotely close so far is the excellent, short-lived Deadwood).

Anybody here got any tips on what series to check out next? I am considering buying Band of Brothers on DVD, but is it really as good as the critics claimed?

#246 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

You will shed a tear when you realise how the final season betrays BSG. Shame that Moore et al couldn't hold on to the show's integrity.

For a series that didn't sell out in any of its seven season check out The Shield.

#247 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

Leverage, an enjoyable series opener. Still, I'm confused--a week or two ago I watched a two-hour episode which I thought was the opener. Was it special...or did I miss a show last year?

#248 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

Late Night with David Letterman

guest: Sir Paul McCartney

God bless him. The life of The Beatles, the greatest band of all time.

#249 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

You will shed a tear when you realise how the final season betrays BSG. Shame that Moore et al couldn't hold on to the show's integrity.

For a series that didn't sell out in any of its seven season check out The Shield.

Damn, I really hope I will disagree with you on this. You've made me lower my expectations a bit, for sure.

I always wanted to check out The Shield. I used to have the impression that it was yet another dull, CSI-style "detective solves murder mystery" series, but I was apparently wrong about that, according to a friend of mine who's crazy after the show. I heard the great Frank Darabont directed a few episodes too, so it must be good.

#250 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:38 AM

Saw the first episode of Children of Earth. 'twas okay. It shows promise though. A lot of promise. Here's to hoping it gets better tomorrow night.

Currently watching the Colbert Report. Honestly not paying much attention. Distracted by CBn and MSN.

#251 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

NCIS, episodes 4x22 "In the Dark", one of the rare dud episodes, and 4x23, "Trojan Horse", which is good even inspite of the terrible acting by the Director.

#252 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

Saw the first episode of Children of Earth. 'twas okay. It shows promise though. A lot of promise. Here's to hoping it gets better tomorrow night.

It's brilliant. I wasn't at all dissapointed with it, well... untill the last episode. BUT it's cracking good entertainment, enjoy it! B)

#253 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Well, I'm done. Yesterday I spent the evening watching the final two episodes of Battlestar Galactica. A few tears were shead, my head was about to explode on at least three occasions, and I realized just how much I am going to miss this series.

I don't understand why the ending has been so controversial for some people. I thought it was near perfect. It was a real ENDING. It might not have tied up every single plotline, but it didn't need to. It felt like a perfect closure for the characters, and a perfect closure of so much time spent watching the show.

To quote The Office's Dwight Schrute in conversation with a guy on a party:
"Do you watch Battlestar Galactica?"
"No."
"Then you're an idiot."

BSG is simply the finest work of fiction/art I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. It's miles ahead of any movie I've ever watched, any book I've read (except maybe Watchmen), and makes almost everything else on TV look embarrasingly dumb.
The ending was pretty much everything I had hoped for, and more.

In ten years time, I'm going to re-watch the entire series. I'm looking forward to it already.

#254 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

A happy clappy ending for BSG - is that really what you expected when the series began?

I would say the ending betrayed everything that went before it.

Sentimental rubbish.

#255 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

I wanted an ending that satisfied me, which this one certainly did. If it was a happy ending or not would have been quite irrelevant as long as it worked.

How did it betray everything that went before it? They SPOOOOOOILER!!!!!! managed to find what they had been looking for throughout the entire series, Earth. It might not have been in the way most people would have imagined, but I still loved it.

After getting to "know" these characters so well for so many hours of entertainment, I would have feel cheated if we did not get a proper ending where they find... something. I remember my best buddy's deep sadness on the reportedly unresolved ending of The Sopranos, his favourite show, and I certainly would not have wanted that from BSG.

Tonight I relaxed by watching the Daniel Craig-starring mini Archangel. It was maybe a bit too relaxing, as I nearly fell asleep during it. Passable entertainment, but the uninspired direction and unengaging script kind of ruins a really great plot idea (the eeeevil son of Stalin wants to take over Russia). Craig is good, as usual, but looks a bit bored at times, and the ending was a massive anticlimax.

#256 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:29 AM

ECW

#257 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:31 AM

It's brilliant. I wasn't at all dissapointed with it, well... untill the last episode. BUT it's cracking good entertainment, enjoy it! :tdown:

Day Two I thought was drastically better than Day One. Can't wait for tomorrow's episode B)

#258 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

A happy clappy ending for BSG - is that really what you expected when the series began?

Sentimental rubbish.

How did it betray everything that went before it?

When BSG started it was essentially a story of a motley group of survivors on the run from their exterminators.

Moore betrayed logic, momentum and history to produce an ending where these irreconcilable groups come to love each other.

All you need is love? The 60s are over, Moore,

#259 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

Ended Season 4 from Grey's Amatomy for the 3rd time!

#260 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

Cash Cab

#261 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

FINALLY finished Day 6 of 24, after a good month. I've been watching a few odd episodes every night. Just that's over. Good season. B)

#262 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

Saved by the Bell.

#263 Salomé

Salomé

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

Bought "True Blood", season one on DVD, just watched the first episode. It was interesting enough to be curious about episode two, but it hasn't really enthralled me either.

#264 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

Leverage. Imo, its best hour so far: involving Mixed Martial Arts shenanigans. Some real drama long with the usual laughs--and a chance for Christian Kane to really show off in the fight scenes.

#265 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

Just started Day 3 of 24. B)

#266 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

Eureka, technically. Before that 'twas Day Five. On the whole, Children of Earth was good, but it felt a bit rushed to me, like it should have been stretched out over just a few more days. Felt like the ending came far too quickly and conveniently. Also I quite liked Ian Gelder as Mr. Dekker. Reminded me of the Quartermaster, if he were a much grumpier fellow.

#267 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:39 AM

Cops

#268 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:41 AM

Sentimental rubbish.

How did it betray everything that went before it?

When BSG started it was essentially a story of a motley group of survivors on the run from their exterminators.

Moore betrayed logic, momentum and history to produce an ending where these irreconcilable groups come to love each other.

All you need is love? The 60s are over, Moore,

BSG was from the start a series in constant evolvement, it never became lazy and constantly introduced new concepts, which made it a joy to follow in all its unpredictability. This was just one of many new ideas.

It is a positive message on letting the past be just that, and get a new start. I wish different groups of people on Earth would do the same.

#269 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

Americas Most Wanted

#270 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

Prison Break season 3.
Where the helicopter comes for Whistler. Oddly enough, the same day, 3 dangerous gangsters escaped from a Belgian prison ... by helicopter.

Edited by AgentBentley, 27 July 2009 - 12:55 AM.