1332 replies to this topic

#301 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

Much better Doctor than I remember. Shame he left after a single season.

Yeah, the Beeb did a Lazenby there in not locking down Eccleston to a three-series contract.

Personally i prefer Jon Pertwee & Peter Davison. The third & fifth Doctor Who respectively. Those are my favorites.

Posted Image

Pertwee is a legend, should be everybodys favouorite;
Davison was very underrated, he made it seem effortless and made the couple after him look terrible;

I happened to catch a couple of hours of the Tru Calling marathon on syfy (or however they spell it now)...forgotten how much I enjoyed that shows brief run (nothing to do with the fact that I'm in love with Eliza Dushku of course..)

#302 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:21 AM

Just finished watching The Three Doctors (watched the first two episodes before my comp went whacky yesterday, wrapped it up this evening). I always love it when Doctors two and three get together. Pity it didn't happen more often. Always cracks me up.

Yeah, the Beeb did a Lazenby there in not locking down Eccleston to a three-series contract.

Personally i prefer Jon Pertwee & Peter Davison. The third & fifth Doctor Who respectively. Those are my favorites.

Personally my ranking of the ten to date, from favorite to least, is

Spoiler

Mind I don't dislike any of them, it's just each one turns in more to like than those below him, I think. And Davison had been in my top three until revisiting Eccleston's episodes for the first time since 2005 (it had been 7-8-5). That said he was still positively brilliant in the role. His imitations of past Doctors in Castrovalva are spot-on and I love how seamlessly he can jump between them

#303 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:38 AM

*Edit*

#304 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:38 AM

Just finished watching The Three Doctors (watched the first two episodes before my comp went whacky yesterday, wrapped it up this evening). I always love it when Doctors two and three get together. Pity it didn't happen more often. Always cracks me up.

Spoiler

Mind I don't dislike any of them, it's just each one turns in more to like than those below him, I think. And Davison had been in my top three until revisiting Eccleston's episodes for the first time since 2005 (it had been 7-8-5). That said he was still positively brilliant in the role. His imitations of past Doctors in Castrovalva are spot-on and I love how seamlessly he can jump between them

McCoy? really??? my least favourite.....

#305 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:40 AM

Spoiler

Colin Baker seems to always be towards the bottom of people's list of the Doctor.
Why is that?

#306 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:53 AM

Spoiler

Colin Baker seems to always be towards the bottom of people's list of the Doctor.
Why is that?

I know some who dislike him because of the arrogance/temper written into the character. Personally I don't mind it. I don't like it, but I don't hate it. I'm impartial to it. That's kind of the way I am about the whole of the Sixth Doctor's tenure. I'm impartial to just about all of it. There's nothing really standout aside from the garish clothing...

#307 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:11 AM

Spoiler

Why is that?

cos he was B)e?

#308 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

Spoiler

McCoy? really??? my least favourite.....

Really? I know a fair deal of people who rank him low, but none dead bottom. Why's he your least favorite?

#309 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:16 AM

Flight of the Conchords.
About how nasty those Australians are.

#310 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:21 AM

Spoiler

Why is that?

cos he was B)e?

#311 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

Since I'm somewhat of a history buff, I bought HBO's "John Adams" the other day, and I've watched the first episode. You know what? It's very good! I really like it! B)

Has anyone else seen it, just out of curiosity?

#312 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

I bought Season 1 of "Miami Vice" on DVD and have been impressed all over again by how great that season was. There's not a stinker in the bunch . . . and sadly, the same cannot be said of subsequent seasons. It's too bad they couldn't maintain the quality of the first season, because it was like nothing else on television at the time. I'm not sure people fully appreciate now how truly groundbreaking it was.

#313 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:48 AM

Local News

#314 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:54 AM

Life On Mars
Been meaning to check this out ever since I first saw John Simm in Dr Who a few years back. Finally got round to episode one tonight. Very good show thus far. Pending how the rest of the series goes, it may well join the ranks of my favorite programs.

#315 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

Mike & Mike In The Morning

#316 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Continuing on with the "Miami Vice" theme: Just watched "The Prodigal Son" (the two-hour Season 2 premiere) on DVD, and what I remembered from having watched it initially all those years ago was reinforced by watching it again: It starts out promisingly enough, but it's basically a one-hour episode dragged out into two hours of posturing. That was a big, red flag that signaled the on-again, off-again hiccuping quality of the writing, and style over substance (rather than style complementing substance) that would plague many of the subsequent episodes.

It was understandable, since Don Johnson became such a huge star, to feature him so much, but it was sad to see that stellar ensemble cast -- probably one of the best ever assembled for a TV series -- reduced to little more than glorified supporting players.

Sheena Easton is almost universally panned in her Season 4 role as Sonny's wife, Caitlin, and there is a part of me that wonders why on earth she was cast, considering all the possible singers who were available at the time. (Yes, I know she was pretty, sang a great Bond theme and had a few other hit singles, but was she really that big? Not as I recall.)

But having said that, I think she's unfairly targeted for the predictable way in which her character was shoehorned in by the writers. After all, we knew what was going to happen to her as soon as she said, "I do." But despite that, I ended up liking Easton's feistiness in the role, and even though Caitlin's death was telegraphed almost from the get-go, it also served as the catalyst for one of the best episodes in the series' history. It was something the series had skirted, but never completely addressed with the main characters: the idea of completely losing oneself in one's undercover identity. This time, instead of Sonny and Rico just talking about it, it really happened to Sonny . . . and was portrayed in a fairly believable manner, IMO.

Going into the fifth season, with Sonny returning to the fold, things seemed to start out well enough, but then it just seemed like no one really cared. And, by that time, maybe they didn't. Jan Hammer's music was sorely missed by this time, ratings had slipped dramatically, and, after tinkering with the formula so much, no one seemed to know what to do to "fix" the show. The hardest part of watching the two-hour series finale, "Freefall," was seeing the montage of clips from the series' glory days at the end, which reminded us how great the series had once been.

Still, having said that, "Miami Vice" is the quintessential mirror of the '80s in America, and overall offers up some of the best television not only of its time, but of all time.

#317 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Bought "True Blood", season one on DVD, just watched the first episode. It was interesting enough to be curious about episode two, but it hasn't really enthralled me either.

I enjoyed episode one, but - although watching HBO blur the boundaries between soft-core and drama is entertaining - I'm not sure about the final value of True Blood. Still, the revival of vampire genre entertainment is interesting even if I rather prefer John Carpenter/James Woods' take on things.

#318 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

American Dad

#319 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Since I'm somewhat of a history buff, I bought HBO's "John Adams" the other day, and I've watched the first episode. You know what? It's very good! I really like it! B)

Has anyone else seen it, just out of curiosity?

I have.
It's a great miniseries.

#320 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

Sesame Street with my daughter

#321 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

LOST, season 5, the first two hours.

#322 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

The Tonight Show

#323 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

Dunno the names of any of the shows, but I was just flicking between four different channels of soaps for a good two hours earlier this afternoon.

#324 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

Dunno the names of any of the shows, but I was just flicking between four different channels of soaps for a good two hours earlier this afternoon.

What a shame CBn is getting so slow that you are being forced to do that!

We really need some new news on Bond 23, a new Bond book etc.

#325 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:46 PM

What a shame CBn is getting so slow that you are being forced to do that!

We really need some new news on Bond 23, a new Bond book etc.

Actually I'd just been on CBn like all morning ever since I got back from my morning run and decided I needed a break, but didn't feel like another hour or two of exercise (much as I need it), and there was nothing on TV. But yes, we need more news on Bond 23. I'm tempted to get my friend Jeremy to hack someone like the guardian or the sun just so I can put up blatant but plausible rumors XD

Actually I think I may have been on CBn even while watching soaps, near the end of it at least...

#326 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

Family Guy. The. Best. Animated. Comedy. Show. Ever. Created.

#327 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

Top Chef

#328 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans